It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 295 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:48 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Keyser Soze wrote:
Pitchers w/l is a made up stat. It didn't happen in the game. The team won the game. You can see that in the final score. How did an individual also win the game? Where did the extra win come from? Did they play 2 games? Of course not because it's made up and based on some bullshit made up criteria. It tells you absolutely nothing about how the pitcher performed in that game.

All stats are "made up". You're conflating the team's record with the pitcher's record. They're obviously not the same thing. Don't be purposely obtuse.

And it tells you a whole lot about how the starting pitcher performed in that game because his performance is irrelevant outside the context of the games he pitches. If a guy always pitches worse than the other pitchers in the games he pitches, how fucking good could he be?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:48 am 
Site Admin

IMU wrote:
:lol: :lol:

Poor JORR.

If you were twice as smart as you think you are, you might qualify as an idiot.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:49 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
If a guy always pitches worse than the other pitchers in the games he pitches, how fucking good could he be?

Absolutely no better than Jose Quintana.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:52 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:
Pitchers w/l is a made up stat. It didn't happen in the game. The team won the game. You can see that in the final score. How did an individual also win the game? Where did the extra win come from? Did they play 2 games? Of course not because it's made up and based on some bullshit made up criteria. It tells you absolutely nothing about how the pitcher performed in that game.

All stats are "made up". You're conflating the team's record with the pitcher's record. They're obviously not the same thing. Don't be purposely obtuse.

And it tells you a whole lot about how the starting pitcher performed in that game because his performance is irrelevant outside the context of the games he pitches. If a guy always pitches worse than the other pitchers in the games he pitches, how fucking good could he be?

No they're not. I can see a home run. The ball went over the fence. I can see a double the batter ended up on 2B. I can see a run scored because he crossed home plate etc. You can't see a pitchers win because it didn't happen. It doesn't exist.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:54 am 

pizza_Place: John's
Joe is getting slammed in here. Frank, this is one ship you don't want to go down with. Let him drown alone. #Sad.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:55 am 
100000 CLUB

Keyser Soze wrote:
No they're not. I can see a home run. The ball went over the fence. I can see a double the batter ended up on 2B. I can see a run scored because he crossed home plate etc.
You cannot see these things from certain seats in Wrigley Field.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:55 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... atio::none

Check out that XBH % and LD %.

Do you believe that pop-ups and line drives have the same chances of turning into outs?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:56 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Gentleman, I would politely like to ask that you remove this conversation from the Cubs 2017 transactions and rumors thread. Thank you kindly. Have a blessed day.

Now about this Sonny Gray trade. They'd have to give up some combination of Almora/Carantini and a minor leaguer right?

Last edited by Jbi11s on Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:57 am 
Site Admin

Keyser Soze wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:

No they're not. I can see a home run. The ball went over the fence. I can see a double the batter ended up on 2B. I can see a run scored because he crossed home plate etc. You can't see a pitchers win because it didn't happen. It doesn't exist.

I can see a man pitch five innings plus and exit the game with the lead.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:58 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:

And then the next pitcher in gives up that lead and your pitcher now has no documentation of ever having pitched in that game. He wasn't good enough to get the win. If he were that good, he would have gone 9.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:00 pm 

Jbi11s wrote:
Gentleman, I would politely like to ask that you remove this conversation from the Cubs 2017 transactions and rumors thread. Thank you kindly. Have a blessed day.

Now about this Sonny Gray trade. They'd have to give up some combination of Almora/Carantini and a minor leaguer right?

A's would move on to the off season if this was the best they could do

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:04 pm 
Site Admin

Caller Bob wrote:
Joe is getting slammed in here.

I don't think so. You're the one walking through life thinking Jeff Samardzija and Jose Quintana are great pitchers. You have to live with that. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:05 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:

Why 5 innings? Who decided on that and why? Why not 4 innings? How about 6 or 1 or 9? 5 innings is an arbitrary number of innings.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:12 pm 
Site Admin

Keyser Soze wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:

Why 5 innings? Who decided on that and why? Why not 4 innings? How about 6 or 1 or 9? 5 innings is an arbitrary number of innings.

Obviously, I'm not going to argue that the five innings is anything other than arbitrary. If I had to guess I would say it was established as five innings since that's an official game, which would make it somewhat less arbitrary than you suggest, though- I acknowledge- arbitrary nonetheless.

I'd have no problem if you wanted to develop a stat of your own that would be superior in detailing how well a pitcher actually competed in the games he pitched. I don't believe it would be impossible to come up with such a thing. However, ERA, WHIP, fWAR, etc. don't do that.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:15 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Baseball curmudgeon JoRR strikes again.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Lackey's "quality' start yesterday not doing enough for you JORR? No, me neither!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:17 pm 
Site Admin

Jbi11s wrote:
Baseball curmudgeon JoRR strikes again.

I don't know what that means. Are we trying to get the right answers or just beat each other over the head until everyone admits that Javy Vazquez was better than Mark Buehrle?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
IMU wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
IMU wrote:
Some statistic you got there if it cannot even be used for over 50% of pitchers.
More than 50%. There are more relievers than starters.

As a self proclaimed baseball executive, you should realize that they are two completely different positions.

Small forward is also a completely different position than center or power forward, but I would like strong rebounding from all three. I also need my running back to be able to catch a check-down in order to keep my drive alive.

ERA? works for nine innings. WHIP? works for nine innings. FIP? works for nine innings. K/BB works for nine innings.

W/L? Only works if you start the game, and you have to go five innings to get a win, but not a loss. And when your team's offense scores their runs significantly impacts this. Or your infielders can fuck up a routine ground ball into a sailed throw down the first base line, causing a runner to score all the way from 1B and you give up 0 ER but take a loss.

Pitcher W/L is the WORST stat in the history of modern sports.

This is one of the worst posts you have ever made. Just terrible.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:35 pm 

That's your post in support of the Subdivision? I mean I know baseball isn't your bag but these guys need some backup. At least try to refute it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:40 pm 

IMU wrote:
That's your post in support of the Subdivision? I mean I know baseball isn't your bag but these guys need some backup. At least try to refute it.

I shouldn't need to waste my time refuting it. You know how bad it is already. I'll simply point out that there have been some all time great running backs who were terrible at receiving so your entire premise of all stats matter is false. But beyond that, you know you can't beat Jorr in a W/L argument so you need to resort to applying his argument to relievers when he's consistently maintained it's only useful SPs and given clear explanations for why that is the case.

If you think you're such a smarter baseball mind than jorr than argue what he is saying, not what you wanted him to say.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:43 pm 

The point is that a stat that can only be used for certain pitchers, in arbitrary situations, and that 8-9 other teammates have as much (or more) of an effect on is a flawed statistic.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:48 pm 

IMU wrote:
The point is that a stat that can only be used for certain pitchers, in arbitrary situations, and that 8-9 other teammates have as much (or more) of an effect on is a flawed statistic.

The arbitrary argument is a bad one. By that logic almost everything in baseball is arbitrary(HR line fences, etc).

But yeah, his teammates affect W/L. Teammates have an an effect on many stats, from QB rating to assists. That doesn't invalidate the statistic.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:56 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
IMU wrote:

The arbitrary argument is a bad one. By that logic almost everything in baseball is arbitrary(HR line fences, etc).

But yeah, his teammates affect W/L. Teammates have an an effect on many stats, from QB rating to assists. That doesn't invalidate the statistic.

If there are twenty ways to accurately gauge a pitcher's performance while he is on the bump, and then one extremely flawed one that the starting pitcher only has a 33% effect on (pitchers only play half the game, and usually only 6 innings [66%] of that half) ... Yes, the last one is invalidated. Especially when one tries to use it to discount the actual statistics.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:57 pm 

IMU wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
IMU wrote:

If there are twenty ways to accurately gauge a pitcher's performance while he is on the bump, and then one extremely flawed one that the starting pitcher only has a 33% effect on (pitchers only play half the game, and usually only 6 innings [66%] of that half) ... Yes, the last one is invalidated. Especially when one tries to use it to discount the actual statistics.

But this is wrong. W/L isn't a flawed statistic inherently. All stats can be flawed when used improperly though.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:04 pm 
100000 CLUB

IMU wrote:
If you are talking about one game, or hell maybe even a month's worth of starts, it can be "invalidated." The crux of this whole argument is Jose Quintana. When you have a guy that has 170+ big league starts, you can absolutely start to draw accurate conclusions about him based solely on his W-L record.

I used to be in complete disagreement with JOrr on Q. However having watched him make his last ~60 starts on a really bad baseball team, its very clear that the guy will never be a dominant force on the mound or a winner. I think his absolute high water mark would be a .510 win %. Now that doesn't make him a "bad" pitcher, and he certainly isn't a pitcher that will prevent you from winning a Division or a Pennant either. He is what he is. He is a .500 pitcher for a reason.

The people who come off as really dumb are the ones who completely dismiss W-L as flawed, and just throw those numbers away. Blatantly ignoring a specific-- and rather large-- set of career numbers is a foolish way to evaluate a guy.

Last edited by Frank Coztansa on Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:05 pm 
Site Admin

IMU wrote:
:lol: :lol:

Poor JORR. Doesn't understand how a bad pitcher could have a higher BAbip and how SLG% is connected to it, even when quoted from a Fangraphs article.

Jeff Samardzija's career BAbip is .300. Exactly in the middle of the expected range of a pitcher for his career. This year, he is much higher. But he still plays for the Giants, and they have a fantastic defense. Luck? Sure, it could be luck, but you don't believe in that. You've told us this many times.

So what else could cause BAbip to fluctuate 30 points higher? Harder contact. And that contact is documented in Samardzija's insanely high .470+ SLG against in 2017. His very low BB% rate also indicated Samardzija is around the plate far more often, and therefore hitters have a much easier time making solid contact.

This is very simple stuff.

Are you arguing that Samardzija is unluckier this season or that he is getting hit harder? It's hard to tell.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:05 pm 

It is flawed. It judges one player when he only contributes 33% to that result. Additionally, a pitcher pitches to hitters. Not one single portion of W/L shows how a pitcher fared in that.
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Are you arguing that Samardzija is unluckier this season or that he is getting hit harder? It's hard to tell.

It is easy to tell. It is all in the numbers.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:08 pm 

Ted Lily, the .500 pitcher who suddenly went 44-26 after signing with the Cubs.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:09 pm 
100000 CLUB

IMU wrote:
It is flawed. It judges one player when he only contributes 33% to that result. Additionally, a pitcher pitches to hitters. Not one single portion of W/L shows how a pitcher fared in that.
In one specific game, sure this might be the case.

Over the course of 100, 200, 300 career starts, its flawed to ignore the W-L record.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 295 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next