It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 295 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Positanos on 55th Street
Patrick Mooney‏Verified account
@CSNMooney

#Cubs roster move: Carl Edwards Jr. is back and Tommy La Stella will go on the bereavement list after the death of his grandmother.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:34 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
OK...hang on. This is getting like Epstein on Welcome Back Kotter.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:18 am 

When LaStella returns,....Mike Montgomery will be on bereavement for the death of his ...[insert punch-line here]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:58 am 

pizza_Place: Lucano's
walkrman5 wrote:
When LaStella returns,....Mike Montgomery will be on bereavement for the death of his ...[insert punch-line here]

..."out" pitch?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:48 pm 

Cubs "Got Nowhwere" In Extension Talks With Kris Bryant

The Cubs made an effort to lock up National League MVP Kris Bryant on a long-term extension this offseason but “got nowhere” in their efforts, Tom Verducci of Sports Illustrated reports. Verducci notes that the Cubs made efforts to lock up several of their young players, in fact, though they weren’t able to push any of them over the finish line. Chicago’s lone offseason extension was a one-year extension for excellent setup man Pedro Strop — a nice move for the club but not the sort of franchise-altering move that a long-term pact for Bryant, Kyle Schwarber, Addison Russell or any of the team’s other young talents would have been.

Bryant’s agent, Scott Boras, has a reputation for eschewing contract extensions and pushing his clients toward free agency — long-term deals for Carlos Gonzalez with the Rockies and Stephen Strasburg with the Nationals notwithstanding — though he spoke to Verducci at length about that perception and about extensions in general.

“My first rule [on extension offers] is that I tell the player, ‘Do not look at the team as if they’re trying to steal you. They’ve made the decision that is the right decision. The question is, What is the investment worth? What is the value?'” Boras explains to Verducci. In the case of Bryant, Boras adds that he was on the same page with Cubs president of baseball operations in terms of Bryant’s fit on the team but not when it came to appropriately valuing that fit.

Perhaps most interesting in the column is that Boras paints Epstein as somewhat of a tough negotiator. While Boras doesn’t indicate any ill will toward the iconic executive, he suggests to Verducci that there was never much progress when discussing Jacoby Ellsbury during Epstein’s days as GM of the Red Sox, where Ellsbury starred for the first seven seasons of his career. Ellsbury went year-to-year through the arbitration process and ultimately signed with the Yankees on a seven-year, $153MM contract as a free agent.

“Theo does not settle on certain things,” says Boras. “He offers a very limited range. You’ve got to give up an option year, a free agent year and he can move you whenever he wants to move you.”

Well, you're not going to be able to keep everybody.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:34 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
That will ultimately be the heartbreak for Cub fans. Cub fans get attached like no other fans. Doesn't matter which ones but not all of them will stay.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Bryant will stay with the Cubs. They'll offer the most money when it's time.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:50 pm 

pittmike wrote:
That will ultimately be the heartbreak for Cub fans. Cub fans get attached like no other fans. Doesn't matter which ones but not all of them will stay.

yeah I am sure after all those years of losing that losing a couple players will be the ultimate heartbreak for them.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Caseys
Cubs will pay who they want when they want in time. They owe none of these guys nothing for past or future performance. Rizzo signed his deal early because he did not truly believe he might see a bigger payday. Now the rest of them will. Cubs will let it play out and sign who the deem worthy at the time. I agree with this 100%.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:35 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Matches Malone wrote:
excellent setup man Pedro Strop

Is he related to the Cubs' Pedro Strop?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:09 pm 

Len Kasper just passed along the news that Chris Bosio will not be with the team this week due to personal reasons.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:19 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Shit, this rotation is taking on water to begin with

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:57 am 

Kris Bryant May "Just Play It Out" Rather Than Seek Extension

There was little traction between reigning NL MVP Kris Bryant and the Cubs in their extension talks earlier this winter, so it perhaps isn’t surprising that Bryant doesn’t seem to be in any particular rush to lock up a long-term commitment.

“I guess it’s a little early,” Bryant told Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times. “I still feel super young. I’m still getting used to all of this playing at this level. I’ll listen to whatever they have to say, but I just think that it might be in my best interest to just play it out and see where things go….I’d rather just now focus on baseball and playing and not have any other distractions off the field like that, just because it’ll take away from my play on the field.”

Bryant may well set another arbitration-related record in the offseason by earning the highest amount ever given to a player in his first year of arb-eligibility; Ryan Howard’s $10MM salary from the 2007-08 offseason is the current benchmark. Barring injury or a significant downturn in performance, Bryant looks to be on pace to bank over $50MM through his four arbitration years before reaching free agency after the 2021 season.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:05 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Matches Malone wrote:
Kris Bryant May "Just Play It Out" Rather Than Seek Extension

There was little traction between reigning NL MVP Kris Bryant and the Cubs in their extension talks earlier this winter, so it perhaps isn’t surprising that Bryant doesn’t seem to be in any particular rush to lock up a long-term commitment.

“I guess it’s a little early,” Bryant told Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times. “I still feel super young. I’m still getting used to all of this playing at this level. I’ll listen to whatever they have to say, but I just think that it might be in my best interest to just play it out and see where things go….I’d rather just now focus on baseball and playing and not have any other distractions off the field like that, just because it’ll take away from my play on the field.”

Bryant may well set another arbitration-related record in the offseason by earning the highest amount ever given to a player in his first year of arb-eligibility; Ryan Howard’s $10MM salary from the 2007-08 offseason is the current benchmark. Barring injury or a significant downturn in performance, Bryant looks to be on pace to bank over $50MM through his four arbitration years before reaching free agency after the 2021 season.

Its because he's pissed about the 12 games!!

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:09 am 

Matches Malone wrote:
Len Kasper just passed along the news that Chris Bosio will not be with the team this week due to personal reasons.

Hmmmm...Interesting timing as related to the link / story below. I didn't really hear anything as to the "why" he wasn't on the trip...but I thought I heard a comment from one of the announcers over the weekend that he (Bosio) was feeling much better. Did the Cubs put him on a timeout?

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/cubs-officials-reportedly-infuriated-by-pitching-coachs-comments-on-eric-thames/

Two weeks ago Brewers first baseman Eric Thames went on a rampage at Wrigley Field, going 6 for 11 with three doubles and a home run in the three-game series against the Cubs. Thames has been a monster early on.

Thames homered for the fifth straight game in the series opener against the Cubs, and soon after the game Cubs pitching coach Chris Bosio came very close to accusing Thames of using performance-enhancing drugs. Here's what Bosio told a local radio show (transcript via Big League Stew):

"Well, the bottom line is [Thames] has hit the ball and we gotta figure out a way to get around [it]. All that other stuff, I'll let other people worry about. But he's doing stuff that I haven't seen done for a long time.

"You start thinking about Ken Griffey Jr., Manny Ramirez when he went to the Dodgers, Barry Bonds … You're talking about some of the greatest players to ever play this game. So, yeah, it's probably a 'head-scratcher' because nobody knows who this guy is. And when he was here before, his body has changed. But, like I said, I'll leave that to everyone else and we're just gonna try to worry about how to pitch him better and get him out."

Comparing Thames to Manny and Bonds, two former players with well-known PED connections, and saying "his body has changed" is not the best way to praise one of the hottest players in the league after a month of play. It's almost as if he accused him of doing some shady stuff it without actually saying it.

Cubs officials, according to ESPN's Buster Olney, were "infuriated" with Bosio after those comments. "It's just the wrong thing to do," said one person with the team. Keep in mind the Cubs were in Thames' shoes last year, when Stephen A. Smith accused Jake Arrieta of using PEDs. Bosio should know better.

Thames did not shoot back at Bosio or the Cubs. He took the high road and said he has " plenty of blood and urine " for random drug tests. Thames, by the way, has been tested plenty already this season, including three times in the last 11 days according to Tom Haudricourt of the Journal Sentinel.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:13 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
walkrman5 wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:

Hmmmm...Interesting timing as related to the link / story below. I didn't really hear anything as to the "why" he wasn't on the trip...but I thought I heard a comment from one of the announcers over the weekend that he (Bosio) was feeling much better. Did the Cubs put him on a timeout?

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/cubs-officials-reportedly-infuriated-by-pitching-coachs-comments-on-eric-thames/

Two weeks ago Brewers first baseman Eric Thames went on a rampage at Wrigley Field, going 6 for 11 with three doubles and a home run in the three-game series against the Cubs. Thames has been a monster early on.

Thames homered for the fifth straight game in the series opener against the Cubs, and soon after the game Cubs pitching coach Chris Bosio came very close to accusing Thames of using performance-enhancing drugs. Here's what Bosio told a local radio show (transcript via Big League Stew):

"Well, the bottom line is [Thames] has hit the ball and we gotta figure out a way to get around [it]. All that other stuff, I'll let other people worry about. But he's doing stuff that I haven't seen done for a long time.

"You start thinking about Ken Griffey Jr., Manny Ramirez when he went to the Dodgers, Barry Bonds … You're talking about some of the greatest players to ever play this game. So, yeah, it's probably a 'head-scratcher' because nobody knows who this guy is. And when he was here before, his body has changed. But, like I said, I'll leave that to everyone else and we're just gonna try to worry about how to pitch him better and get him out."

Comparing Thames to Manny and Bonds, two former players with well-known PED connections, and saying "his body has changed" is not the best way to praise one of the hottest players in the league after a month of play. It's almost as if he accused him of doing some shady stuff it without actually saying it.

Cubs officials, according to ESPN's Buster Olney, were "infuriated" with Bosio after those comments. "It's just the wrong thing to do," said one person with the team. Keep in mind the Cubs were in Thames' shoes last year, when Stephen A. Smith accused Jake Arrieta of using PEDs. Bosio should know better.

Thames did not shoot back at Bosio or the Cubs. He took the high road and said he has " plenty of blood and urine " for random drug tests. Thames, by the way, has been tested plenty already this season, including three times in the last 11 days according to Tom Haudricourt of the Journal Sentinel.

Yeah wtf. He should've just said he was talented and left it at that.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:31 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
It has more to do with the Cubs being roided to all hell. They don't want people asking questions about Kris Bryant's adult acne or Jake Arrieta's pilates any more than they are already.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:58 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
Too bad Strop didn't give a steroids hot take.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:55 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
[Yeah wtf. He should've just said he was talented and left it at that.

I don't know if I'm kissing Nat King Cole over here

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:43 pm 

Peoria Matt wrote:
Too bad Strop didn't give a steroids hot take.

He would still blow.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:44 pm 

America wrote:
It has more to do with the Cubs being roided to all hell. They don't want people asking questions about Kris Bryant's adult acne or Jake Arrieta's pilates any more than they are already.

Go kill yourself. Now. Thanks. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:44 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
good dolphin wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
[Yeah wtf. He should've just said he was talented and left it at that.

I don't know if I'm kissing Nat King Cole over here

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:45 am 

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:59 am 

Be careful what you ask for dolphin.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:48 pm 

Matches Malone wrote:
Be careful what you ask for dolphin.

An unbiased person who has never applied for a job in a Theo administration was on the Score this weekend and said Happ is ranked higher than Moncada in his rankings

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:06 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Does this unbiased person who has never applied for a job in a Theo administrationh have a name that rhymes with 'moose divine'?

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:10 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Did Babe Ruth get sent down yet?

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:13 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Did Babe Ruth get sent down yet?
Jacob May was sent to Charlotte after last night's game :(

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:24 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Does this unbiased person who has never applied for a job in a Theo administrationh have a name that rhymes with 'moose divine'?

No. He was a legit or as legit as an adult can be who spends his every waking hour observing the athletic movements of 18-21year old males

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Heard that interview. He said Happ is the better hitter today but not near the athlete Moncada is for whatever that's worth. Said they both strike out a ton. Was it a Baseball America writer? Can't remember.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 295 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next