It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Caseys
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
pittmike wrote:
The obsession is weird. The Cubs seem to do everything right. But whether it's Hayward last year or Babe Ruth this year they don't put slumping players away for extended times. Maybe it's Joe and he really does have almighty emperor control over lineups.

They couldn't really do anything with Heyward but what they did. But they're treating Schwarber as if they're fans of his rather than executives. The guy is a minor leaguer who hasn't played a full season. If Almora or another guy was performing like he is at the same stage of his career they would have been sent down already. There is this silly assumption that this guy is "one of the best hitters in baseball".

I have stated on this board his ass should be in Des Moines. It is like the treat him as a fucking veteran who has earned something. I appreciate what he has done in the postseason but for fuck sakes he is killing this team now. If he cannot hit he is worthless.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:58 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
pittmike wrote:
The obsession is weird. The Cubs seem to do everything right. But whether it's Hayward last year or Babe Ruth this year they don't put slumping players away for extended times. Maybe it's Joe and he really does have almighty emperor control over lineups.

Heyward is the highest paid Cub of all time, he was in year one of a multi year deal last year n he plays GG defense... Schwarber is making 505k and he's a fuckin butcher in the field. Easy decision on Kyle

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:17 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
312player wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Heyward is the highest paid Cub of all time, he was in year one of a multi year deal last year n he plays GG defense... Schwarber is making 505k and he's a fuckin butcher in the field. Easy decision on Kyle

Yet they won't make it.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:11 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Caller Bob wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
What's worse, Kyle Schwarber's "contact" or the movie, "Contact"?

Contact is a great movie. It's better than Mike Trout's contact.

It's the absolute fucking worst. All that rigmarole for the entire movie to see the alien and it was her goddamn father.

I think you missed the point, Bob. Contact is a Christian propaganda film.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:30 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Contact is a Christian propaganda film.

Written by Carl Sagan?

I thought the whole point of the extraterrestrial taking the form of her father was to make communication easier...but it's been a while since I've seen it and even longer since I read the book.

In the book, Sagan did kind of hint at a version of intelligent design, where if you took Pi to like the trillionth digit, it became a series of 1s and 0s and was a hidden message waiting for humans (or whoever) to become sophisticated enough to decipher.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:31 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I think you missed the point, Bob.
Every single reply to a Caller Bob post should start out this way.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:34 am 

So was it fair to question Schwarber coming off injury yet? Caller Bob and 312player can you confirm?

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:37 am 
Site Admin

Jaw Breaker wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Written by Carl Sagan?

I thought the whole point of the extraterrestrial taking the form of her father was to make communication easier...but it's been a while since I've seen it and even longer since I read the book.

In the book, Sagan did kind of hint at a version of intelligent design, where if you took Pi to like the trillionth digit, it became a series of 1s and 0s and was a hidden message waiting for humans (or whoever) to become sophisticated enough to decipher.

That probably wasn't Sagan's intention, but the screenplay supported the Christian viewpoint of McConaughey's crazy preacher, didn't it?

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:33 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Written by Carl Sagan?

That probably wasn't Sagan's intention, but the screenplay supported the Christian viewpoint of McConaughey's crazy preacher, didn't it?

no

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:35 am 
Site Admin

good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Written by Carl Sagan?

no

That's how it came off to me. At the very least there was the suggestion of a higher power.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:38 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
He's gotta be sent down this week or put on the DL.

Can't have him wasting away on the bench, but also can't have him getting everyday PA's with the big club.

Theo & Co.'s obsession with this guy is insane.

I've watched him in person the last three days. He needs a Heyward-like overhaul, but to get more line drives and less high flies.

They really don't need him on the 25-man this year, they proved that LAST year. Send him down and let LaStella rot on the major league bench.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:43 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Furious Styles wrote:
I lost a contact once.

What's the big deal?

i made that joke about 3 pages back and it bombed

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:45 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Bagels wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:
I lost a contact once.

What's the big deal?

i made that joke about 3 pages back and it bombed
I keep my contacts in plexiglass cases.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:45 am 

pizza_Place: John's
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I think you missed the point, Bob.
Every single reply to a Caller Bob post should start out this way.

Flapjacks, the topic is Schwarber and/or the awful movie Contact. Don't derail the thread.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:49 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Written by Carl Sagan?

no

That's how it came off to me. At the very least there was the suggestion of a higher power.

The suggestion was presented and dismissed. The alien interaction scene confirms that the higher power is not an immortal.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Schwarber's 5th among NL outfielders in all star voting on MLB.com :lol:

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
FavreFan wrote:
Schwarber's 5th among NL outfielders in all star voting on MLB.com :lol:

Seems low.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:47 pm 

White Sox are last on the list of MLB teams anyone cares about.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:52 pm 

Scooter wrote:

Sounds like you're still angry about finding out they're the most popular team in Chicago

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

The suggestion was presented and dismissed. The alien interaction scene confirms that the higher power is not an immortal.

Evidence-based thinking wins out in this story, though McConaughey is presented as a relatively chill preacher.

About Sagan at his deathbed, Sagan's (hot) wife said that he knew he was saying goodbye forever (i.e., no heaven).

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:09 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Scooter wrote:

Sounds like you're still angry about finding out they're the most popular team in Chicago

I could not be happier about the Chicago Bears....I am a Miami Dolphin fan. As baseball goes please tell yourself over and over the Sox are more popular. It may help you sleep at night.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:37 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
I think Schwarber could hit 50.2 home runs per season while batting .100.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:22 am 
Site Admin

formerlyknownas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Evidence-based thinking wins out in this story, though McConaughey is presented as a relatively chill preacher.

I think it's a pro-faith message.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:10 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I think it's a pro-faith message.

You think a movie where:

1. The majority ifnot all of the protesters against the embracing of alien life are portrayed as religious based; and

2. In one of the climactic scenes a christian evangelical commits an act of domestic terrorism that murders dozens of people and destroys property that belongs to the US government and a consortium of other governments; and

3. The only faith based character with protagonistic qualities is so committed to his faith that he can't become an ordained man of the cloth because he likes fucking chicks too much (who can blame him.)

has a pro-faith bases message you probably think that Titanic has a pro-iceberg message.

Those are just clear examples.

The John Hurt character, a clear protagonist, Haddon, he's about to die, he's terminal. Literally he's about to have a "coming to Jesus moment" for people of faith. What is he doing with his life? He's building the structure that everyone of faith based messages are condemning. Also, he needs a miracle cure to survive. Is he praying for a miracle, using the powers of faith? Nope, he's using his money to hang out in a space station with some Russians. He's really embraced spirituality.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:39 pm 
Site Admin

One Post wrote:

The John Hurt character, a clear protagonist, Haddon, he's about to die, he's terminal. Literally he's about to have a "coming to Jesus moment" for people of faith. What is he doing with his life? He's building the structure that everyone of faith based messages are condemning. Also, he needs a miracle cure to survive. Is he praying for a miracle, using the powers of faith? Nope, he's using his money to hang out in a space station with some Russians. He's really embraced spirituality.

That is the faith. Faith that man should trust some plans from out of the sky. The message is a little more subtle than a hillbilly with a huge crucifix around his neck screaming against science.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:46 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
One Post wrote:

That is the faith. Faith that man should trust some plans from out of the sky. The message is a little more subtle than a hillbilly with a huge crucifix around his neck screaming against science.

Uh, the plans didn't come out of the sky, they came from extra terrestrial life. People can debate whether non-earth based intelligent life would be friendly or not, but that has little or nothing to do with Christianity.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:48 pm 
Site Admin

One Post wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
One Post wrote:

Uh, the plans didn't come out of the sky, they came from extra terrestrial life. People can debate whether non-earth based intelligent life would be friendly or not, but that has little or nothing to do with Christianity.

:lol: And where is "extraterrestrial life"? Under the sea? Isn't "God" extraterrestrial? Or does he live in your basement?

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
The ending was just Jodie Foster's first orgasm.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 2:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
One Post wrote:

oh, ok--in a larger way, yes. stories are recycled, definitely, especially the ending from the heavens. Contact offered very little that was new in narrative. but in an even larger way, it's sentimental: "you humans are an interesting species," the alien says. ugghh!!!

i guess there's a reason why sagan wasn't a novelist. fantastic non-fiction writer, though. hot second wife, too.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:50 am 

Just heard on Kap that there's a report out there that Schwarber was seen leaving with his own bats indicating he may be headed to the minors . If true , I guess it's no longer early.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next