It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 3:43 pm 

312player wrote:
RFDC wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Happ is a bad defender as well despite all the excitement over him "playing five positions"

What are you basing this on?

He's talking out of his ass, as usual. Happ is just fine on defense.

mlb.com

Happ has quickness and arm strength, yet those tools don't translate as well as they could to his defense. He moved off second base after his freshman year with the Bearcats before returning there in instructional league after his 2015 pro debut. His infield actions are more stiff than smooth, however, and most evaluators outside of the Cubs organization believe he's most likely to wind up in left field.

fangraphs

Happ spent most of 2015 in the outfield (it was a way to lighten the toll on his body after that hernia surgery) both at Cincinnati and with the Cubs that summer after he signed. In 2016, he was primarily back to second base. Happ is a 40 defender there. He’s an above-average straight-line runner with decent range and an above-average arm, but his actions and athleticism are not optimal for the infield and his footwork around the bag is suspect.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 3:52 pm 

Darkside wrote:
Lightning in a bottle is another way of saying all the pieces clicked. Many had career years, great defense, good offense, good pitching window amounts of injuries. These conditions describe pretty much any championship team. You can't really win if these thjjngs don't happen.
Good to know that "lightning in a bottle" is no longer a negative term. We could have saved a lot of time with many posters on here since 2005 with this information.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 3:54 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
312player wrote:
RFDC wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Happ is a bad defender as well despite all the excitement over him "playing five positions"

mlb.com

Happ has quickness and arm strength, yet those tools don't translate as well as they could to his defense. He moved off second base after his freshman year with the Bearcats before returning there in instructional league after his 2015 pro debut. His infield actions are more stiff than smooth, however, and most evaluators outside of the Cubs organization believe he's most likely to wind up in left field.

fangraphs

Happ spent most of 2015 in the outfield (it was a way to lighten the toll on his body after that hernia surgery) both at Cincinnati and with the Cubs that summer after he signed. In 2016, he was primarily back to second base. Happ is a 40 defender there. He’s an above-average straight-line runner with decent range and an above-average arm, but his actions and athleticism are not optimal for the infield and his footwork around the bag is suspect.

You have a strange understanding of bad

That basically says he is an average infielder.

He appears to be in line to spend most of his time in the OF and that really says nothing about his defense there

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:04 pm 

RFDC wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
312player wrote:
RFDC wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

mlb.com

fangraphs

You have a strange understanding of bad

That basically says he is an average infielder.

He appears to be in line to spend most of his time in the OF and that really says nothing about his defense there

You have a strange understanding of average.

As an aside, I'm not a minor leagues guy so I was wondering what fangraphs meant by 40. 50 is mlb average.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:08 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Watch him play dolphin, the guy is fine...he's already a better outfielder than Schwarber will ever be, Happ will only improve with more reps at one position . he's the same as Kris Bryant on defense, he's fine and will only improve..neither are bad defensively.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:11 pm 

312player wrote:
Watch him play dolphin, the guy is fine...he's already a better outfielder than Schwarber will ever be, Happ will only improve with more reps at one position . he's the same as Kris Bryant on defense, he's fine and will only improve..neither are bad defensively.

You are really going to lose your shit when I tell you I consider Wilson Contrearas average to below average as a catcher.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:15 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
312player wrote:

Neither are good either.

The plus defenders on the Cubs are Heyward and Russell and the first baseman (for whatever that's worth). That's it. When you look at the guys they have it's amazing what they were able to do defensively last season. Lightning in a bottle.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Beggars
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
312player wrote:

Neither are good either.

The plus defenders on the Cubs are Heyward and Russell and the first baseman (for whatever that's worth). That's it. When you look at the guys they have it's amazing what they were able to do defensively last season. Lightning in a bottle.

Yeah! And they don't get many Facebook likes!

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:18 pm 

Desperate Sox Fan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
312player wrote:

Neither are good either.

:lol:

JORR you gotta add Almora to your plus defenders list.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:19 pm 
Site Admin

RFDC wrote:
Desperate Sox Fan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
312player wrote:

Neither are good either.

He's on the verge of getting sent down. I'm not even sure he's on the team.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:23 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
312player wrote:
he's already a better outfielder than Schwarber will ever be,
Really setting the bar high.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:25 pm 

RFDC wrote:
Desperate Sox Fan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
312player wrote:

Neither are good either.

Who does he play for?

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:27 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
312player wrote:

You are really going to lose your shit when I tell you I consider Wilson Contrearas average to below average as a catcher.

Contreras is fine, he's young and relatively new to the position, he's got a great arm and he's average @ worst in his second season compared to the catchers around the league.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:31 pm 
Site Admin

312player wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
312player wrote:

Contreras is fine, he's young and relatively new to the position, he's got a great arm and he's average @ worst in his second season compared to the catchers around the league.

The pitchers don't even want to throw to him because he's moving around so much back there. It's funny how when the Cubs had catchers that hit .200 pitch framing was the most important thing. Now they have a guy who can hit a little more and pitch framing is suddenly meaningless.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:33 pm 

According to Dolphins bible( fangraphs) he's an above average catcher who pitch frames above average...

I agree with you on the bouncing around too much, he's too athletic for the position but he's still fine and only getting better.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Beggars
We're killing them guys! Keep going!

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
312player wrote:
According to Dolphins bible( fangraphs) he's an above average catcher who pitch frames above average...

I agree with you on the bouncing around too much, he's too athletic for the position but he's still fine and only getting better.

that's something I agree with Dolphin on. Didn't like the kid's makeup in the playoffs. I swear, every time at bat he feinted that he was going to bunt. What is wrong with you? Stay off the greenies.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:44 pm 

312player wrote:

My bible?

I bet that is the only time I have ever quoted the site on this board. I quote Rick far more often. Is Rick my bible?

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:49 pm 

City of Fools wrote:
312player wrote:

that's something I agree with Dolphin on. Didn't like the kid's makeup in the playoffs. I swear, every time at bat he feinted that he was going to bunt. What is wrong with you? Stay off the greenies.

He's kind of like Baez in that he is self impressed despite largely modest accomplishment

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:51 pm 
Site Admin

I was waiting for a desperate Cub fan to bring up Baez's defense. Every team has a good field/no hit utility man.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:56 pm 

Other than Hendricks, what Cub had a career year last year? Surely you don't think Bryant blew his load in his 2nd season.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
I've been a Baez hater since day one.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 5:17 pm 
Site Admin

312player wrote:
Other than Hendricks, what Cub had a career year last year? Surely you don't think Bryant blew his load in his 2nd season.

I don't think he'll have a season much better but he'll maintain for awhile.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:22 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
boom

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:23 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
(Powerless) Schwarber with his 7th Home run.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Caller Bob wrote:
(Powerless) Schwarber with his 7th Home run.

470 feet! Bahaha!

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:24 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
maybe he'll feel more comfy not leading off anymore.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:36 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Hey-Hey! Touch em all Jason

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Cueto's pick off move is just a blur. Not even fair.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:59 pm 

Schwarber should be hitting 2-5, no doubt. Just let the guy mash. I would say drop him to 5th against lefties.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next