It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
Apparently St. Louis is. And fuck them. And fuck everything else that is from that city.

Seriously, we can't have any fun. The fun police say David Ross can't be on ESPN, can't be on dancing with the stars, can't masturbate in public. What the fuck?

Look, I know he is going to get annoying at some point, but just let him enjoy it. He's a backup catcher who had a significant contribution to a team winning their first World Series in 108 years.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
I like David Ross.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:23 pm 

Fuck St Louis and all the inbred Cardinal fans

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:26 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
It is quite a bit silly with all the attention Ross gets, but there are MANY bigger and more important things for Cards fans to get pissed about.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
I'm assuming the best fans in sport had a problem with him doing the ESPN game on Sunday?

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:29 pm 

To me, he is like the Cubs version of the California Angels' Rally Monkey. When he shows up around the team, good things seem to happen.

That said, I'm surprised at some of his new-found popularity and I can understand why fans of other teams may be sick of the guy. I heard yesterday that he made like $22M in earnings throughout his career....so he is now trying to leverage any new found popularity into future earnings. Can't say as I blame him for that.

No...I'm not sick of David Ross!

Go Cubs!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:29 pm 

I think it's funny he is being built into some sort of Cubbie hero.

It's like if we celebrated Jud Buechler.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza' Hut'
If you're a guy and you watch dancing with the stars, it's impossible to take any complaint from you seriously.

Outside of that one broadcast and one chick show nobody should watch, Ross isn't around a lot. Not sure why people would be sick of him.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:34 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I get that....but it was weird how the team (players) treated him. Back in spring training of 2016 they (players) were giving him gifts and parties and shit,...and then up on their shoulders after the World Series win. So it was really the players that propped him up for whatever reason. Then of course the DWTS appearance and now the ESPN gig. I can't say I understand it....that is why I compared him to a Rally Monkey. He was obviously important to that 2016 World Series championship team.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
He hit .250/.300/.688 in the 2016 postseason. In limited time, he was extremely effective. I cannot recall all Ross did in the postseason as catcher, but he had a huge pickoff of Gillaspie early in Game 1 of the NLDS. He might have thrown some guys out too throughout the postseason.

We know what his career was...but he was a very good player on the 2016 postseason team.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:44 pm 

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/benjamin-hochman/hochman-ex-cub-david-ross-getting-on-st-louis-nerves/article_25035271-e3ca-52aa-be40-1b47838bea22.html

Hochman: Ex-Cub David Ross getting on St. Louis' nerves

He unites our divided city during a vulnerable time. Yes, St. Louis has issues. And yes, the St. Louis Cardinals have issues, too. But our citizens seem to come together on one particular passionate promulgation:

Good Lord, David Ross is annoying.

On Sunday night, St. Louisans were treated to some recent staples of Cardinal baseball – defensive miscues, bullpen faltering – and if that weren’t enough, David Ross was broadcasting the whole danged thing on ESPN.

Now, the former Cubs catcher is a seemingly congenial gent with a zest for life, but around here, he’s become a 40-year-old villain. Trending on Twitter on Sunday in St. Louis? The NBA Finals. #OneLoveManchester. David Ross. It’s because this backup catcher somehow became the loquacious face of the lovable Cubs. He earned a disproportionate amount of ovations in his final regular-season game. And then, after winning the World Series, he somehow infiltrated the lives of Cardinals fans even more.

Most recently, the “Dancing With The Stars” star filled in Sunday on the ESPN national broadcast. And like that old saying, “I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out,” well, I watched a David Ross reality show and a Cards-Cubs game broke out.

There was David Ross in the makeshift broadcast booth in right field.

There was David Ross in a commercial.

There was David Ross in David Ross commercial outtakes.

There was David Ross, between innings, actually playing catch with right fielder Jason Heyward.

There was David Ross, singing “Take Me Out to the Ballgame” to Wrigley fans during the seventh-inning stretch.

“You just got tired of this guy?” @ohnoitsluce tweeted to me. “Where were you last year?!?”

The player Cards fans seem to hate the most isn’t even a player anymore. It’s comical, I’ll admit — this retired ballplayer forever driving St. Louis nuts. He must love it. Chicago must love it.

Dare I go down this path, but … do we have David Ross envy?

Is that it?

Is St. Louis jealous because this is the type of guy that’s our type of guy?

We love loving the nontraditional guy. St. Louis — famously or infamously — appreciates the nuances in the game, the sacrifice fly, the dirty uniform, the unknown player suddenly making hay, the scrappy ballplayer deserving of reverence via a password. And the, I don’t know, maybe the team-oriented backup catcher who provides more than just catching a good game, providing a locker room presence, a sense of humor and a love of the game?

The reality is, this guy has been methodically wearing down our town for years.

He retired with a .229 batting average but hit .253 against the Birds.

He had a .739 on-base plus slugging percentage in his career. Against St. Louis it was .849. And the team he hit the most homers against? Yep, nine against the Cards. He was hanging around our lives during divisional stints with the Reds and Pirates.

In 2012 with Atlanta, he homered in that zany first-ever wild card game, which St. Louis ended up winning.

Then, if you’ve tried to forget, he was an unexpected hero for the 2013 Red Sox, when those guys defeated the Cards for the World Series title. Ross tallied a game-winning RBI double in Game 5. And there he was, catching the final out of the Series in Game 6.

And he just won’t go away.

He was Jon Lester’s personal catcher — and there he was on the broadcast Sunday, doing a personal interview with Lester, yukking it up from the dugout. And last season, his final season, he hit .385 against the Cardinals.

And now, he’s a national treasure. Maybe this is what makes the Cardinals-Cubs rivalry so fascinating – every few years, a new persona becomes a firestarter. What’s unique about this one is he no longer actually plays for the Cubs. Yet I bet if you stopped by some St. Louis bars and asked: “Name your least-favorite Cubs,” you’d often hear about David F. Ross.

I saw that he’s writing a book too.

I wonder if David Ross is even getting sick of David Ross?

But you’ve got to give him credit – Reggie Jackson once said “they don’t boo nobodies.” For years, Ross was a nobody, and now, in retirement, he’s still tiring St. Louis.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

He's white, grindy, not very naturally talented (relative to MLB'ers), slow, old, wise, and affable. This was going to happen even if he hit .050 in the postseason.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:48 pm 

IMU wrote:
He hit .250/.300/.688 in the 2016 postseason. In limited time, he was extremely effective. I cannot recall all Ross did in the postseason as catcher, but he had a huge pickoff of Gillaspie early in Game 1 of the NLDS. He might have thrown some guys out too throughout the postseason.

We know what his career was...but he was a very good player on the 2016 postseason team.

I'm only assuming, but I would guess he was a HUGE part of the success of the pitching staff. I'm sure that went a long way, including the batting stats and fact he was a personal catcher to Lester. He just seems like a really good dude.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:59 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Whoooo Caaaarreees(Bruce Weber voice)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
The whole thing about signing him to help get Lester started it. I think for young players, that spoke volumes in a "STFU and listen to this guy" way. He could still provide power against lefties, and he was great with the pitchers and with Contreras.

I think he has to go take a year out of the spotlight and figure out what he wants to do - ESPN/Fox/MLB once a week, replace Ron Coomer, replace Joe for 3-4 years during the downturn after Rizzo ages and Bryant leaves, or just stay at home.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Positanos on 55th Street
No worries man,

no worries.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
I like Ross just fine. By all accounts nice guy, buys drinks.

I suggest, and may have previously as well, that had Schwarber not gone down, Ross would've had little chance to be the 'mascot' that he became what with the absence of the originally chosen 'mascot'.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:00 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:
I like Ross just fine. By all accounts nice guy, buys drinks.

I suggest, and may have previously as well, that had Schwarber not gone down, Ross would've had little chance to be the 'mascot' that he became what with the absence of the originally chosen 'mascot'.
Does Theo still have the gorilla suit? Maybe give that to Grandpa Ross.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:35 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Hated him when he first was signed but it's​ apparent he was a big leader on the team. I don't watch DWTS and I missed him on Sunday night so I haven't gotten sick of him quite yet. Fully expect him to be a Cubs manager at some point.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:43 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Ross is fine and not a bad guy by any means but it's really weird to see him portrayed as the Cubbiest Cub Who Ever Cubbed when he was only here for two years and had played for approximately half the teams in the major leagues.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:55 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Curious Hair wrote:
the Cubbiest Cub Who Ever Cubbed

#ThatsCub

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:51 pm 

Just a couple of items to note:

David Ross was part of the deal that brought Lester here. It was a "package". No Ross-No Lester-No World Series

Ross was one of the best pitch framers in the game during his tenure here. That previously was a lacking skill set with the Cubs and why you saw Wellington Castillo(good bat but 'meh' receiver) shipped out of town.

Pitch framing, leadership, defensive metrics at an extremely valuable position are all items that can't be evaluated by traditional numbers...so when the stat burritos point out Ross' batting average, they are only showing their pure ignorance of what playing catcher at the major league level entails.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:52 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:

David Ross was part of the deal that brought Lester here. It was a "package". No Ross-No Lester-No World Series

Ross was one of the best pitch framers in the game during his tenure here. That previously was a lacking skill set with the Cubs and why you saw Wellington Castillo(good bat but 'meh' receiver) shipped out of town.

Pitch framing, leadership, defensive metrics at an extremely valuable position are all items that can't be evaluated by traditional numbers...so when the stat burritos point out Ross' batting average, they are only showing their pure ignorance of what playing catcher at the major league level entails.

So good he played for half the league!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:55 pm 

And was a member of two world series winning squads. Next.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Positanos on 55th Street
It was either going to be Ross or Johnny Gomes.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:05 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

So good he played for half the league!

:lol:

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Caseys
Not at all. Made the most of his fifteen minutes and then some. Seems genuine and likeable. Fuck St. Louis and their asswipe fans.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:29 pm 

Ross has signed with an independent team. I thought he was this great managing mind and next in line for Maddon's job. Shouldn't he be coaching in the minors?

http://abc7chicago.com/sports/david-ross-returning-to-baseball-with-kansas-stars/2201430/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:40 pm 
1000 CLUB

Crystal Lake Hoffy wrote:
Ross has signed with an independent team. I thought he was this great managing mind and next in line for Maddon's job. Shouldn't he be coaching in the minors?

http://abc7chicago.com/sports/david-ross-returning-to-baseball-with-kansas-stars/2201430/

He's doing this to get in baseball shape for the Cubs to sign him in late August for a playoff run. Theo probably asked him if he wanted to come back. He does. Obviously.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:55 pm 

Beardown wrote:
Crystal Lake Hoffy wrote:

He's doing this to get in baseball shape for the Cubs to sign him in late August for a playoff run. Theo probably asked him if he wanted to come back. He does. Obviously.

Paraphrasing good dolphin " those who claim they want to stay home with the wife and kids have never stayed home with the wife and kids ".

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.