It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 446 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:50 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
MartyD47 wrote:
Was talking to an NL scout I know the other day and baseball people still can't believe that the Sox were able to get Jimenez (not too mention Cease as an add on) for Q. Word is Theo panicked after the Lester start before the break.

Sounds like bullshit. They had agreed on Jimenez months before but they couldn't work out the filler.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:03 am 

pizza_Place: Palermos on 63rd
Nas wrote:
MartyD47 wrote:
Was talking to an NL scout I know the other day and baseball people still can't believe that the Sox were able to get Jimenez (not too mention Cease as an add on) for Q. Word is Theo panicked after the Lester start before the break.

Sounds like bullshit. They had agreed on Jimenez months before but they couldn't work out the filler.

Perhaps, but baseball people still cannot believe it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:10 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
Nearly every start in a Cubs uniform ended with a Cubs win.

He should obviously start Game 1 then.

Altogether not a terrible idea.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:41 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
I think that's a very believable scenario.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:43 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Nas wrote:
MartyD47 wrote:

Who told you that?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:02 am 
100000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
MartyD47 wrote:

Who told you that?

Hahn or Theo said it during an interview on the Score.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:23 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
MartyD47 wrote:

Who told you that?

Hahn or Theo said it during an interview on the Score.

I think that was Hahn who said that, but the interview with the Score Theo did right before the trade you could tell he was super pissed with the whole team after that Lester game. Panic/anger? At least he shot his shot.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:24 am 

Just some background, this NL scout is no fan of the Sox org and has a decided pro-Theo bent. He graded Jimenez's hit/power tools at 70/70 and thinks Cease will be a frontline closer. The comps he gave for Jimenez were fun to think about.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:36 am 

Theo obviously felt Jimenez was overvalued or he never trades him for a number 3 pitcher. We wont find out for a couple years if he was right or wrong.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:52 am 
100000 CLUB

Not many #3 pitchers have a .700 winning percentage. That's a huge win. This trade will work out for both teams. The Cubs got a cheap quality starter and the Sox got a guy who could be a stud.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:57 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Nas wrote:
[Q] is their hottest pitcher but I would push him to Game 2. Let Hendricks go in Game 1. Maybe Joe won't pull him early since it isn't a series deciding game.

It feels weird stuffing Jake & Jon on the tail-end of the rotation, but I think that's probably the way to go right now.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:17 pm 
Site Admin

conns7901 wrote:
Theo obviously felt Jimenez was overvalued or he never trades him for a number 3 pitcher. We wont find out for a couple years if he was right or wrong.

I heard from a guy who would know that the Cubs had soured on Jimenez due to his work habits.

And for the record, I don't think this was a bad trade for the Cubs. They desperately needed quality starters going forward. There are going to be a minimal amount of guys available in free agency and a team will have to pay dearly for them. Quintana is going to give the Cubs 200 innings and around a .500 record in the games he starts at a very reasonable price tag. That's a fifth of the season and you're even, maybe a little better with some luck, and you don't have to worry about it. Now they have to replace Arrieta.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:24 pm 

I feel like scouts are always looking to start shit and deal in hindsight much of the time.

I would apply the grain of salt to all 3 statements made by scouts here.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:32 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

I heard from a guy who would know that the Cubs had soured on Jimenez due to his work habits.

And for the record, I don't think this was a bad trade for the Cubs. They desperately needed quality starters going forward. There are going to be a minimal amount of guys available in free agency and a team will have to pay dearly for them. Quintana is going to give the Cubs 200 innings and around a .500 record in the games he starts at a very reasonable price tag. That's a fifth of the season and you're even, maybe a little better with some luck, and you don't have to worry about it. Now they have to replace Arrieta.

Also there's the thing where Qunitana is already an MLB contributor

I like prospects as much as anyone but shit happens. A lot of people couldn't believe Brewers gave up the next Many Ramirez, Matt LaPorta, for 2 months of Sabathia.

10 years later....Matt LaPorta has 31 career home runs.

Jimenez will probably be good but there are no guarantees.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:48 pm 
Site Admin

rogers park bryan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

I like prospects as much as anyone but shit happens. A lot of people couldn't believe Brewers gave up the next Many Ramirez, Matt LaPorta, for 2 months of Sabathia.

Yeah, I'm not excited about Jimenez or Cease. If they get here, they get here.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:19 pm 
100000 CLUB

I think it'll be good for both teams but the Sox will benefit from it longer.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:37 pm 

MartyD47 wrote:
Just some background, this NL scout is no fan of the Sox org and has a decided pro-Theo bent. He graded Jimenez's hit/power tools at 70/70 and thinks Cease will be a frontline closer. The comps he gave for Jimenez were fun to think about.

What every Cub fan used to say about their prospects before Theo. BT (Before Theo)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:50 pm 

pizza_Place: maciano's
After watching glenbar torres lose a year to freak injury have no problem with the trade.

He the Homerun surge that MLB has seen carried over into the minors?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:18 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
I feel like scouts are always looking to start shit and deal in hindsight much of the time.

I would apply the grain of salt to all 3 statements made by scouts here.

Yep, scouts usually have an ax to grind and this guy would fall into that category. The difference is in this case he has always been pro Theo and he wasn't just giving his opinion of the deal. If I were Theo, Jimenez would have been off the table in any deal for a pitcher.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:31 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

This is true, but Michael Brantley has been a pretty good consolation prize.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:58 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

You gotta stop this .500 nonsense, he was .500 with no run support, he will be getting more wins and runs for us.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:28 am 
Site Admin

312player wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

You gotta stop this .500 nonsense, he was .500 with no run support, he will be getting more wins and runs for us.

There's no such thing as "run support". "Run support" is nothing more than the lesser amount of runs allowed by the pitcher(s) who Quintana is facing on a given day. Like the two allowed by something called Robert Stephenson through five on Friday vs. the Cub Juggernaut while The Great Quintana was giving up four in four and two-thirds.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:04 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
He's 7-3 here, he will win 15-16 games next year.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:28 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
312player wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

There's no such thing as "run support". "Run support" is nothing more than the lesser amount of runs allowed by the pitcher(s) who Quintana is facing on a given day. Like the two allowed by something called Robert Stephenson through five on Friday vs. the Cub Juggernaut while The Great Quintana was giving up four in four and two-thirds.

Why do some offenses score 200 more runs in a season then others? They all face the same pitchers.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:00 am 
Site Admin

IMU wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
312player wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

Why do some offenses score 200 more runs in a season then others? They all face the same pitchers.

Well, they don't all face the same pitchers. But if those offenses had to face Corey Kluber every time they wouldn't score 200 runs. Quintana is a slightly better than mediocre pitcher.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:04 am 
100000 CLUB

On a scale of 10 he's no worse than a 7. A solid #2 on most teams and a #1 on some.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Nas wrote:
On a scale of 10 he's no worse than a 7. A solid #2 on most teams and a #1 on some.

If he's a #1, that's one shitty rotation.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
leashyourkids wrote:
Nas wrote:

If he's a #1, that's one shitty rotation.

Wasn't he the White Soc x #1?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:30 pm 

It seems in JORR's world there are only about 20 good pitchers (can be counted on to be .560 or above in W-L every year) in baseball at a given time.

So when he rips Quintana, he's saying he's like the 25th best pitcher in baseball. Not that bad...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:14 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
MartyD47 wrote:

:lol: :lol: Yeah the 3 time WS winning GM "panicked" over a couple bad starts .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 446 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next