It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 6:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 446 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:42 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
TurdFerguson wrote:
Here is my problem debating Quintana. I think everyone agrees he is one the better pitchers in baseball at preventing your team from scoring runs. His problems, if there is one is converting them to wins.

So what happens when he does give up a run or two (at a lower than league average rate) is this....

Run given up 0-0 - he prevents runs but he always gives up the lead.
Run while trailing 1-0 he just can't keep you in the. Me.
Run while winning 1-0 he can't hold a lead.

The common bond is he gave up a run at lower than league average rate.... I'm confident in his pitching going forward with a team that should get him 4 runs a game. I'll take the occasional out dueled and I'm co Disney it will happen less than 50% of the time going forward.

Obviously, his ERA has been better than an average pitcher over the course of his career. But the heart of the disagreement is the idea- repeated ad nauseam in recent years- that "a pitcher's job is to prevent runs". As if it's just that simple and said pitcher's performance somehow exists in a netherworld completely divorced from the game in which it occurred.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:43 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I'm absolutely not basing it on one game as much as you might like that to be the case. The man has 175 big league starts. And this isn't a Cubs-Sox thing either. My feelings about him were no different when he was plying his trade eight miles south. I'm pretty sure there's a clear record of that so there's no need to try to turn it into some "JORR is anti-Cub" nonsense.

Finally, just for the record, are you acknowledging that the Brewer offense is superior to the Cub offense?

You stated that Quintana lacks "run support" no matter where he is, whether it's the Cubs or Sox. And yet, with the Cubs, he has gotten run support of 8, 5, and 1. There is no other explanation other than that you are basing his Cubs "run support" on a single game... unless you think 8 and 5 are bad run support? Beyond that, he has no control over his "run support" anyway.

And where are you getting that that it is an anti-Cub thing? You took sideswipes at the Cubs in your response, but I never said your argument about Quintana is an anti-Cub one. I think it's more a byproduct of your obsession with wins and losses, even in very small sample sizes.

And to your last question, yes, the Brewers offense is superior to the Cubs, as has been shown throughout the entire year. Is that some sort of gotcha? I don't recall every being willing to admit that teams are better than the Cubs at some things.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:44 am 
Site Admin

Caller Bob wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Hard luck Jose Quintana.

Last night was an example of what Sox fans have seen for years.

It's pretty easy to compartmentalize a pitchers performance from the offensive performance of his team vs the opposing pitcher. Cub fans are smart enough to do that. Sux fans were not.

Jose will be great here.

Maybe you'll be luckier than "Poor Jose" and you'll be able to find some games where the Cubs score ten runs and you can transfer his "compartmentalized performances" to those games to give him a winning record.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:44 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:
Here is my problem debating Quintana. I think everyone agrees he is one the better pitchers in baseball at preventing your team from scoring runs. His problems, if there is one is converting them to wins.

So what happens when he does give up a run or two (at a lower than league average rate) is this....

The common bond is he gave up a run at lower than league average rate.... I'm confident in his pitching going forward with a team that should get him 4 runs a game. I'll take the occasional out dueled and I'm co Disney it will happen less than 50% of the time going forward.

Obviously, his ERA has been better than an average pitcher over the course of his career. But the heart of the disagreement is the idea- repeated ad nauseam in recent years- that "a pitcher's job is to prevent runs". As if it's just that simple and said pitcher's performance somehow exists in a netherworld completely divorced from the game in which it occurred.

What does this mean? What idea are you trying to convey, here?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:49 am 
Site Admin

leashyourkids wrote:
You stated that Quintana lacks "run support" no matter where he is, whether it's the Cubs or Sox.

No I didn't. I don't think "run support" exists. "Run support" is nothing more than the runs allowed by Brent Suter when he's beating Jose Quintana 2-1.

leashyourkids wrote:
And yet, with the Cubs, he has gotten run support of 8, 5, and 1. There is no other explanation other than that you are basing his Cubs "run support" on a single game... unless you think 8 and 5 are bad run support? Beyond that, he has no control over his "run support" anyway.

No, he has control over the opposing pitcher's "run support".

leashyourkids wrote:
And where are you getting that that it is an anti-Cub thing? You took sideswipes at the Cubs in your response, but I never said your argument about Quintana is an anti-Cub one. I think it's more a byproduct of your obsession with wins and losses, even in very small sample sizes.

I'm no more "obsessed" with W/L percentage than Juice is with fWAR. I just think it's a valuable stat that tells you a lot about who a starting pitcher is.

leashyourkids wrote:
And to your last question, yes, the Brewers offense is superior to the Cubs, as has been shown throughout the entire year. Is that some sort of gotcha? I don't recall every being willing to admit that teams are better than the Cubs at some things.

I don't believe you really do think the Brewers offense is superior to the Cubs'. I certainly don't. Put it this way- if you're a starting pitcher looking for "support" from an offense, are you taking the Cub lineup or the Brewers?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:55 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
You stated that Quintana lacks "run support" no matter where he is, whether it's the Cubs or Sox.

No I didn't. I don't think "run support" exists. "Run support" is nothing more than the runs allowed by Brent Suter when he's beating Jose Quintana 2-1.

Then why does run support predict so much of winning percentage? More so than other measures of a pitcher's ability?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:56 am 
Site Admin

Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:

What does this mean? What idea are you trying to convey, here?

The events that occurred in last night's game don't exist in any other context except that game. All the performances are only relative to the other events that occurred within that game. In a general sense, allowing 2 runs over six innings may be a "good" performance. But in a game where the opposing pitcher is allowing 0 runs over the same period, it's not really great.

Now, I understand that your position is that if a man goes out and allows two runs over six innings every time he has done fine work and that work will likely end up yielding positive results that will be reflected in his W/L record. That's a perfectly reasonable position. But it's not always that way. And there are plenty of reasons to believe that it's not just a matter of "luck".

The excuse for Quintana was always that he was let down by the shitty White Sox. Well, he no longer has that excuse. He is now "supported" by Team King Kong. Let's see how it works out. I'm guessing he will manage to seize defeat from the jaws of victory only minimally less often than he did for the White Sox.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:56 am 
Site Admin

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Then why does run support predict so much of winning percentage? More so than other measures of a pitcher's ability?

:lol: Because the team that scores more runs usually wins.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:59 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

No, not runs scored per total game, per start. When the starting pitcher is actually in the game. If run support truly "doesn't exist" or didn't really matter as far as a pitcher winning any given game, we would expect to see no correlation between a starting pitcher's run support and the amount of times he we "wins" a game. Since one of the variables either doesn't actually exist or doesn't matter. Except we do, and the predictive ability of this "nonexistent" stat is stronger than any other single element.

Last edited by Juice's Lecture Notes on Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:01 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

I'm not sure what the following statement means then, particularly since Quintana is 2-1 with the Cubs and has gotten ample run support overall.

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Well, apparently his "bad luck" is portable as is his "run support" which seems to be consistent regardless of whether he is pitching for the Frankenstein team with the worst record in baseball or the Mighty Cub Juggernaut.

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I don't believe you really do think the Brewers offense is superior to the Cubs'. I certainly don't. Put it this way- if you're a starting pitcher looking for "support" from an offense, are you taking the Cub lineup or the Brewers?

It doesn't matter. The game is just a matchup between two starting pitchers with offenses that are irrelevant in the outcome of the game.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:02 pm 
Site Admin

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

No, not runs scored per total game, per start. When the starting pitcher is actually in the game.

I understand exactly what you mean. Stop, take a deep breath, and really think about what you're saying. If a team scores a lot of runs while a particular pitcher is in the game, of course it's going to have a favorable effect on his winning percentage.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:02 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

No, not runs scored per total game, per start. When the starting pitcher is actually in the game.

I understand exactly what you mean. Stop, take a deep breath, and really think about what you're saying. If a team scores a lot of runs while a particular pitcher is in the game, of course it's going to have a favorable effect on his winning percentage.

So run support does matter. Glad we're in agreement.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:06 pm 
Site Admin

leashyourkids wrote:
I'm not sure what the following statement means then, particularly since Quintana is 2-1 with the Cubs and has gotten ample run support overall.

You're going at this as if it's a three game sample. It isn't. It's 174 starts.

leashyourkids wrote:
It doesn't matter. The game is just a matchup between two starting pitchers with offenses that are irrelevant in the outcome of the game.

The offenses aren't irrelevant. But I guarantee you can't tell the difference between Bryzzo and Yolmer Sanchez and Tyler Saladino within the space of a single game. And if Kershaw is facing Bryzzo and John Lackey is facing Sanchez and Saladino chances are the latter pair are going to be better in that game.

Finally, I've made enough posts detailing my feelings about "run support" that my sarcasm should be pretty obvious. I apologize if you missed that. I do realize not everyone hangs on my every word.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:07 pm 
Site Admin

Runs matter. "Run support" is just what was allowed by a guy who pitched better than you did.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:12 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
So just to be clear, Cub fans should be upset with Quintana for giving up 2 runs?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:18 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Runs matter. "Run support" is just what was allowed by a guy who pitched better than you did.

So it's not that the Dodgers and Nationals are good at offense, they just happen to face bad pitchers all the time when Kershaw and Scherzer are on the mound?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:19 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Peoria Matt wrote:
So just to be clear, Cub fans should be upset with Quintana for giving up 2 runs?
Cubs fans should be upset because their team lost. This is something that happens more times than not when Quintana starts over his career.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
[list=][/list]For every game hard luck Quintana loses for lack of run support are we also supposed to expect that his defense will also make leaping grabs at the wall preventing 2 run homers? Or is that part expected but when his offense only scores 1 run that it's their fault he lost .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:41 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:
Cubs fans should be upset because their team lost. This is something that happens more times than not when Quintana starts over his career.

Was that a yes or no?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Rocky's of Westchester
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:

Of course it has. The vast majority of starters from teams with bad offenses, bad defense, & poor bullpen pitching like the Sox from 2013-present would have sub par W-L records. On a team that's better in those areas and with his current pitching ability, he'll be the same pitcher but with a better W-L record. It's not that complicated.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Peoria Matt wrote:

Not upset. Just don't be surprised when Quintana is 12-13.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:00 pm 
100000 CLUB

Kenny Owens wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:

Of course it has. The vast majority of starters from teams with bad offenses, bad defense, & poor bullpen pitching like the Sox from 2013-present would have sub par W-L records. On a team that's better in those areas and with his current pitching ability, he'll be the same pitcher but with a better W-L record. It's not that complicated.
There is a pitcher who started close to the same amount of games on the same awful Sox teams that posted a .600 winning percentage. Evidently, it IS that complicated for MANY.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
leashyourkids wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Yup. Just good enough to not win.

#ThatsCub

Frank, your team has the worst fucking record in Major League Baseball.

Not yet. Still got some work to do.

And becoming a complete embarrassment is a trend Theo started so might not wanna go down that road

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:24 pm 

pizza_Place: maciano's
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Kenny Owens wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:

There is a pitcher who started close to the same amount of games on the same awful Sox teams that posted a .600 winning percentage. Evidently, it IS that complicated for MANY.

This is a great point. That pitcher with a 600 winning percentage left the sox and now has a .750 winning percentage.

Also worth noting Quintana currently has. .666 winning percentage for the Cubs.

What changed where these pitchers suddenly started winning a higher percentage of games.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:26 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Kenny Owens wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:

...while receiving 3.43 runs per start compared to Quintana's 2.75.

Sale got 3 runs or more of support (while in the game and thus eligible for the win) in 52.7% of his starts. Quintana got 3+ runs of support 43% of the time.

Sale got 4 runs or more of support in 42.5% of his starts, Quintana only 30%.

Run support while in the game explains a little more than 60% of W/%.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:36 pm 
100000 CLUB

So it's ALL run support and not the pitcher?

Turd, it's been 3 starts for Q on the Cubs. Say he gets 60 starts over the next years for the Cubs. He won't be above a .500 W-L record.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:39 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:

Turd, it's been 3 starts for Q on the Cubs. Say he gets 60 starts over the next years for the Cubs. He won't be above a .500 W-L record.

...while receiving 3.43 runs per start compared to Quintana's 2.75.

Sale got 3 runs or more of support (while in the game and thus eligible for the win) in 52.7% of his starts. Quintana got 3+ runs of support 43% of the time.

Sale got 4 runs or more of support in 42.5% of his starts, Quintana only 30%.

Run support while in the game explains a little more than 60% of W/%.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:43 pm 

pizza_Place: maciano's
Frank Coztansa wrote:

How about sale though. Did he become better in red?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:43 pm 
100000 CLUB

YES or NO

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:48 pm 

Adults are trying to talk, Frank.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 446 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next