It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 446 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:28 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
One Post wrote:
If Q started every game for the Cubs they would win 101 games.
You typed "1" and "0" instead of "8"for that first number.

One Post wrote:
He's demolishing expectations for a guy who has a career winning percentage under .500.
Quintana's ERA and OPS against with the Sox and the Cubs are almost identical. If your expectation was that he would put up some good, not great, numbers and the Cubs would score more runs than the Sox did for him, then bully for you. You must have expected Q to pitch more like Derek Holland if he is "demolishing" your expectations.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:43 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Frank Coztansa wrote:
One Post wrote:

One Post wrote:
He's demolishing expectations for a guy who has a career winning percentage under .500.
Quintana's ERA and OPS against with the Sox and the Cubs are almost identical. If your expectation was that he would put up some good, not great, numbers and the Cubs would score more runs than the Sox did for him, then bully for you. You must have expected Q to pitch more like Derek Holland if he is "demolishing" your expectations.

Coming to league where the pitcher bats he should be Kershaw

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:55 am 

pizza_Place: 6EFKBS
Frank Coztansa wrote:
One Post wrote:

One Post wrote:

Exactly. He was good enough to win for the Sox and never did due to outside factors.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:56 am 

SonFui wrote:
Exactly. He was good enough to win for the Sox and never did due to outside factors.
Now he wins for the Cubs due to outside factors!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:12 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
SonFui wrote:
Now he wins for the Cubs due to outside factors!

The genesis of a .500 pitcher!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:16 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Man, you guys really hated Quintana, didn't you?

It's like an ex-girlfriend dating a guy you hate.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:22 am 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:

I liked him and I hope he does well for the Cubs. It got a little old hearing how he was the 11th best pitcher in all of baseball though.

Now he has 2 of his 5 wins with the Cubs where the team scored 15 and 17 runs and it was suddenly wrong to feel that way. I guess the key was just that the Sox needed to give him so much run support that any pitcher would get an easy win.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:22 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
I don't hate Quintana. In fact, up until last year or maybe 2015, I was completely against what Jorr was saying about Quintana. I thought he was a great pitcher that had suffered from a bad bullpen, bad manager, and a bad offense. Then I saw him cough up lead after lead and realized that the guy just doesn't have it in him to win.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:29 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
Frank Coztansa wrote:
I don't hate Quintana. In fact, up until last year or maybe 2015, I was completely against what Jorr was saying about Quintana. I thought he was a great pitcher that had suffered from a bad bullpen, bad manager, and a bad offense. Then I saw him cough up lead after lead and realized that the guy just doesn't have it in him to win.

I sort of felt that way about Samardzija. Great pitcher with a bad team.

But, after they traded him, I kind of didn't give a shit about his any more.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:55 am 
Site Admin

Frank Coztansa wrote:

Some of us are all around fans of baseball, Doc. I'll be at the Cub tonight. I knew Samadzija sucked all along and he still does. Good pitchers win on bad teams. See Greg Maddux 1992.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:55 am 

pizza_Place: 6EFKBS
So you mean Hall of Fame pitchers win on bad teams.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:02 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Some of us are all around fans of baseball, Doc. I'll be at the Cub tonight. I knew Samadzija sucked all along and he still does. Good pitchers win on bad teams. See Greg Maddux 1992.

I checked in on him from time to time but it never hurt as much as Bill Madlock going to the Giants.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:04 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I checked in on him from time to time but it never hurt as much as Bill Madlock going to the Giants.

The other problem seems to be a lot of Cubs fans seem to want to throw it in his face every time he gets a win.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:06 am 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Samardzija would be a much better closer than starter.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:07 am 

Big Chicagoan wrote:

He'd probably be better to go to the Bears.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:09 am 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Big Chicagoan wrote:

While he very well might have been a better football player, he certainly made the right choice both financially and physically picking baseball.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:09 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

I'll be there too, Rod. Section 528 or 109 likely but looking for better seats

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:11 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:

think there's a 12 page thread dedicated to the sonny gray trade on Oakland A's Fanatics Message Board?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:13 am 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:

While he very well might have been a better football player, he certainly made the right choice both financially and physically picking baseball.

Of course. He's made like $150 million guaranteed.

Just a joke. But maybe he could Bo Jackson it - the Bears need a guy. He was good.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:17 am 
Site Admin

City of Fools wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

I'll be in 118.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:27 am 

pizza_Place: John's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

I'll be in 118.

This isn't Arrow Down park. If your tickets say upper deck, that is where you have to sit.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:31 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I'll be in 118.

I'll see you there...and if you have extra seats nearby, I'll join you

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:35 am 
Site Admin

Caller Bob wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

I'll be in 118.

This isn't Arrow Down park. If your tickets say upper deck, that is where you have to sit.

118 isn't in the upper deck, pal. Quintana knows it's me when I tell him he sucks.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:40 am 

The Quintana hate is ridiculous. While he probably will never be a 1 or 2, he is a solid 3. He gives you quality starts. The White Sox tried to make him sound better than he really is. They promoted him as a 1 or 2. He's going to win key games for the Cubs over the next few seasons. If you're hating on him now, don't celebrate him when he is killing it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:43 am 

pizza_Place: John's
schmitty1121 wrote:
The Quintana hate is ridiculous. While he probably will never be a 1 or 2, he is a solid 3. He gives you quality starts. The White Sox tried to make him sound better than he really is. They promoted him as a 1 or 2. He's going to win key games for the Cubs over the next few seasons. If you're hating on him now, don't celebrate him when he is killing it.

Devils advocate, if, at best he's a #3, then we had no business trading for Eloy for him. The expectation is that he would be a really solid #2 in the NL with a great contract...those are the standards he must live up to in order to justify the trade. Now can he be the #2 guy I stated?, yes(IMO)..but sorry, I'm not settling for a #3 starter. That is unacceptable.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:02 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Now he has 2 of his 5 wins with the Cubs where the team scored 15 and 17 runs and it was suddenly wrong to feel that way. I guess the key was just that the Sox needed to give him so much run support that any pitcher would get an easy win.

He pitched better than the other guy on those days, it's all that matters. Run support has nothing to do with it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:03 am 

If the Cubs win the WS and Quintana grabs a bunch of key wins along the way, there will be a half dozen or so Sox fans around here that will have to be cut down from the rafters.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:03 am 
Site Admin

One Post wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

He pitched better than the other guy on those days, it's all that matters. Run support has nothing to do with it.

He did pitch better than the other guy(s) on those days. Unfortunately, he doesn't face other guy(s) that allow 15 or 17 runs every time, thus his sub-.500 career record.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:05 am 
Site Admin

One Post wrote:

If the Cubs win the WS and Quintana grabs a bunch of key wins along the way, there will be a half dozen or so Sox fans around here that will have to be cut down from the rafters.

I don't think so. We know who Quintana is. You're finding out. Him happening to go to the Cubs has nothing to do with it. My opinion on him is no different than it was two months ago when Cub fans/media were spinning the narrative that the Sox were afraid to trade with the Cubs.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:37 am 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Yes we are finding out.

I see how things were now w sox fans. He was their best pitcher in a crappy team. So that made him look somewhat good. But on a team with a solid rotation he looks like shit. His performance in the first 2 innings is shit. With no expectations w the wsox nobody really cared. But now with a team in the pennant race you can't give give up 4-6 runs throwing 60+pitches by the 2nd inning.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 446 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next