It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 446 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Chris_in_joliet wrote:
3 games into his Cubs run and Im happy so far. Truth is I was just reading about the game yesterday on my phone as they don't have Comcast sports net in Jamaica.

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=102982

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Chris_in_joliet wrote:
3 games into his Cubs run and Im happy so far. Truth is I was just reading about the game yesterday on my phone as they don't have Comcast sports net in Jamaica.

Humble brag.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Frank Coztansa wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
If my SP could consistently give up one run per outing, I'd win probably 80% of those games. JLN might have the actual number.
He did have the numbers. Sale won 70% of those games, Q won 53%. But it's ALL run support!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:25 pm 

It's weird there are still so many debates about him. Most Sox fans are happy he's gone and most Cub fans are happy to have him. Win/win

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:27 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
It's weird there are still so many debates about him. Most Sox fans are happy he's gone and most Cub fans are happy to have him. Win/win

Im not sold on him. He hasnt looked great the last two outings.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:28 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Welcome to the Quintana Experience

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:30 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

I would just pin it on the fact that hes not a great pitcher, not that he lacks some sort of #TWTW.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:31 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

I would just pin it on the fact that hes not a great pitcher, not that he lacks some sort of #TWTW.

I dunno. I think you gotta pick a side here. Outside of W/L he is a great pitcher. Some of us just value W/L more than others do

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:40 pm 

Ill have a stronger opinion on him after a half-year with the Cubs. Just watching him pitch is a more valuable way to evaluate than any stats.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
leashyourkids wrote:
Ill have a stronger opinion on him after a half-year with the Cubs. Just watching him pitch is a more valuable way to evaluate than any stats.

Yup.

Stats can convince you that Jeff Samardzija is a good pitcher.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:54 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
leashyourkids wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
If my SP could consistently give up one run per outing, I'd win probably 80% of those games. JLN might have the actual number.
He did have the numbers. Sale won 70% of those games, Q won 53%. But it's ALL run support!

Thank you for your input.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:26 am 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Yup.

A useless stat has convinced you he's not a good pitcher.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:00 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Keyser Soze wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Yup.

He's a bum, his 9 years of service shows you all ya need to know.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:56 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Keyser Soze wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Yup.

.429 career win % and a 4.06 career ERA in the dreadful NL says he is not a good pitcher.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:43 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Keyser Soze wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Yup.

:lol:

The compulsion to play amateur GM coupled with easy availability of stats on the Internet has caused an entire generation of fans to lose sight of the object of the game.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:54 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
I'll ask this question again, because it seemingly got lost (or the baseball deadheads in this thread finally realized how silly they sound): If not for a difference in run support, what accounts for the disparate win conversion rates of Chris Sale and Jose Quintana when they both give up the same amount of runs in a start?

Here are the distributions of their actual run differentials (Runs Support - Runs Allowed) in every game either pitcher gave up 1 run or fewer:

Quintana was twice as likely as Sale to get a hard-luck ND when allowing 1 run or fewer (again, this is run differential, so "0" means the teams were tied when the pitcher left the game), on top of being more likely to get a loss when allowing 1 or fewer runs.

I fail to see how these facts place the onus of Quintana's record squarely on him as a pitcher, and not on the offense behind him in games where he pitched very similar to someone who is already a fringe HOF candidate.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:56 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Yup.

The compulsion to play amateur GM coupled with easy availability of stats on the Internet has caused an entire generation of fans to lose sight of the object of the game.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermos on 63rd
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
I'll ask this question again, because it seemingly got lost (or the baseball deadheads in this thread finally realized how silly they sound): If not for a difference in run support, what accounts for the disparate win conversion rates of Chris Sale and Jose Quintana when they both give up the same amount of runs in a start?

Here are the distributions of their actual run differentials (Runs Support - Runs Allowed) in every game either pitcher gave up 1 run or fewer:

Quintana was twice as likely as Sale to get a hard-luck ND when allowing 1 run or fewer (again, this is run differential, so "0" means the teams were tied when the pitcher left the game), on top of being more likely to get a loss when allowing 1 or fewer runs.

I fail to see how these facts place the onus of Quintana's record squarely on him as a pitcher, and not on the offense behind him in games where he pitched very similar to someone who is already a fringe HOF candidate.

Do you see Q as a staff ace?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:14 pm 
Site Admin

MartyD47 wrote:

Juice seems to be suggesting that over 150+ starts the White Sox were magically inferior offensively when Quintana took the mound as opposed to Sale, rather than considering whether other factors might be at play.

Which is really just a different way of making the McCarveresque statement that the team that scores more wins.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:18 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
MartyD47 wrote:

Juice seems to be suggesting that over 150+ starts the White Sox were magically inferior offensively when Quintana took the mound as opposed to Sale, rather than considering whether other factors might be at play.

Which is really just a different way of making the McCarveresque statement that the team that scores more wins.

Do you refute the 3.43 RS/Start figure for Sale and the 2.76 figure for Quintana? I'd like to see your evidence that such was not the case. Do you further dispute the actual distribution of each respective pitcher's run support broken down by individual game, in which Sale was nearly 10% more likely to get 3+ runs of support, and more than 12% more likely to get 4+ runs of support than Quintana? Do you have different data?

We're not talking about the "fraction of a run" bullshit you like to hide behind. Sale got more whole, real, runs than Quintana way more often than not. I would like to see you substantively refute this other than retreating to your "the game exists only within the confines of itself" obfuscating.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:28 pm 
Site Admin

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
MartyD47 wrote:

Do you refute the 3.43 RS/Start figure for Sale and the 2.76 figure for Quintana? I'd like to see your evidence that such was not the case.

I understand the facts. Are you saying the Sox hated Quintana and scored less for him or are you open to the possibility that the same factors thst resulted in the Sox scoring less also affected the amount of runs allowed by Quintana?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:30 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Completely agree with JLN

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:31 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
MartyD47 wrote:

Do you refute the 3.43 RS/Start figure for Sale and the 2.76 figure for Quintana? I'd like to see your evidence that such was not the case.

I understand the facts. Are you saying the Sox hated Quintana and scored less for him or are you open to the possibility that the same factors thst resulted in the Sox scoring less also affected the amount of runs allowed by Quintana?

There IS a difference, that's all I'm interested in at this point, because I have also demonstrated that a difference in run support predicts a difference in W%. Why the team scored way less often when Quintana was on the mound is largely irrelevant. The fact is they did, and that lack of scoring leads to a bad showing in a bad statistic.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:32 pm 
Site Admin

Nas wrote:

You agree that Quintana is cursed but try to couch it as "science". At least you don't post graphs.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:35 pm 
Site Admin

Ultimately, I don't care about the "why" either. Whether he's a flawed pitcher or a remarkably unlucky guy, I don't want him on my team.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Ultimately, I don't care about the "why" either. Whether he's a flawed pitcher or a remarkably unlucky guy, I don't want him on my team.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:49 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:

You agree that Quintana is cursed but try to couch it as "science". At least you don't post graphs.

Is your counter-argument to the premise that "Jose Quintana received run support from his team not even commensurate with that of Chris Sale, even when the two pitched similar games" really so silly as "Well, that would have to be some kind of curse or something, so I'm going to ignore all those things that actually happened because of my personal incredulity"?

Ok, JORR, you're right, all those games didn't actually occur within the confines and contexts of themselves. What really happened to explain the differences in run support we saw?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermos on 63rd
When the Sox needed 6 innings out of Q he'd go 5, when they needed 7, he'd go 6. His line usually looked good, but I never thought he came close to impacting a game the way statheads say he does.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:17 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Right. It's that simple. This endless debate is nuts.

To rock my soul

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 446 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next