It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:32 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
MartyD47 wrote:
Theo got too cute trading for xFIP and alike and it cost him dearly. Jimenez has 70/70 hit/power grades(!) When it comes to pitchers the eye test and stuff are more reliable than advanced metrics. If they were going to give up Jimenez they needed to get Rodon back.

The Sox had nothing, including Moncada, that was individually worth as much as Jimenez. You'd have to go as far back as Sale to find a one-for-one that matches up.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:34 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
America wrote:
MartyD47 wrote:
Theo got too cute trading for xFIP and alike and it cost him dearly. Jimenez has 70/70 hit/power grades(!) When it comes to pitchers the eye test and stuff are more reliable than advanced metrics. If they were going to give up Jimenez they needed to get Rodon back.

The Sox had nothing, including Moncada, that was individually worth as much as Jimenez. You'd have to go as far back as Sale to find a one-for-one that matches up.

Obviously, not true. Jimenez wasn't worth as much as Quintana. That's why three other players were in the deal. The market is the market. What some guy on a message board believes is irrelevant.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:36 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
America wrote:
MartyD47 wrote:

Obviously, not true. Jimenez wasn't worth as much as Quintana. That's why three other players were in the deal. The market is the market. What some guy on a message board believes is irrelevant.

Right...I guess a nice contract means a lot more than I thought it did.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:41 am 

From 30 seconds of perusing his Baseball Reference page, seems Quintana is too focused on strikeouts this year over pitching to contact. Hits per game are down and strike outs are significantly up from last year but Walks and HRs are also up.

Relax, all right? Don't try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:42 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Eddie Butler was pitching as good or better than Q has been this season. He didn't cost the Cubs squat.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:53 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
jimmypasta wrote:
Eddie Butler was pitching as good or better than Q has been this season. He didn't cost the Cubs squat.

No. Eddie Butler was arguably the worst starting pitcher in the big leagues.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:54 am 

pizza_Place: Statistical Analysis
rogers park bryan wrote:
From 30 seconds of perusing his Baseball Reference page, seems Quintana is too focused on strikeouts this year over pitching to contact. Hits per game are down and strike outs are significantly up from last year but Walks and HRs are also up.

Relax, all right? Don't try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.

IDIOT!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:00 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:

No. Eddie Butler was arguably the worst starting pitcher in the big leagues.

His stats were similar to Q's Cub stats right now.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:01 pm 

I like Quintana and hope he does really well for the Cubs. It's going to be fascinating to watch though.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I like Quintana and hope he does really well for the Cubs. It's going to be fascinating to watch though.

Once he gets a pro bowl running back, stud offensive line, pass catching tight end and some tall receivers he's going to be great, watch and see .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:10 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Once he gets a pro bowl running back, stud offensive line, pass catching tight end and some tall receivers he's going to be great, watch and see .

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:30 pm 

RFDC wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
:lol: Quintana gives up 3 runs in the first inning, and Cubs fans are bitching about the two runs of support he received. Makes no sense.

Sox fans bitching about a Cubs player while continuing to post in Cub threads- makes total sense.

"The Organization That Spends More Time Following Teams They Hate Than The Ones They Claim to Love"

:lol:

Wonder how many Quintana threads Sox fans are going to start in the Cubs section....yet they dont care about the Cubs...never have :lol:

I started this thread and I care a great deal about Quintana this season. I have $200 invested.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Frank Coztansa wrote:
:lol: Quintana gives up 3 runs in the first inning, and Cubs fans are bitching about the two runs of support he received. Makes no sense.

All runs count the same??

Wasn't the previous story line based on the team getting the lead and Quintana giving it up?

Either way, there was an error in the first that changed the inning. Quintana should have pitched around the error, but didn't. But a different situation leads to a different way of pitching to Posey and maybe the Giants don't score there.

I'm not bothered by Quintana's outing. He has had four good or great starts, and one bad start. The Cubs offense has been slacking for the last 11 games, outside of the 16-run outburst. The starting pitching has been great.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:48 pm 

IMU wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Wasn't the previous story line based on the team getting the lead and Quintana giving it up?

Either way, there was an error in the first that changed the inning. Quintana should have pitched around the error, but didn't. But a different situation leads to a different way of pitching to Posey and maybe the Giants don't score there.

I'm not bothered by Quintana's outing. He has had four good or great starts, and one bad start. The Cubs offense has been slacking for the last 11 games, outside of the 16-run outburst. The starting pitching has been great.

Good to know we can't expect him to win a game 1-0, 2-1,3-2 then.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:52 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Great Trade!
Yup.

Both sides are happy with the strong defense of how good Quintana has been for them.

Yeah, that's the reaction I'm getting too. I'm happy for my Cub fan friends

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
badrogue17 wrote:
IMU wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Good to know we can't expect him to win a game 1-0, 2-1,3-2 then.

You can expect him to give up between 0 to 3 ER over 6 or 7 innings pretty much every time.

Everyone wants to label him a 3? Then you should be very happy indeed.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:04 pm 

IMU wrote:
You can expect him to give up between 0 to 3 ER over 6 or 7 innings pretty much every time.

Nope. Before this season this was a bit more true though

To rock my soul