It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:34 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Actually, you are the one bitching. You are just bitching about the wrong thing.

How in the hell can the defending World Series champions be expected to win a game when their starting pitcher gives up 2 earned runs in 6 innings? That's an impossible hill to climb !

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:34 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
walkrman5 wrote:
Where does the narrative of "pitching in the national league is easier than pitching in the american league" fit in here?

You don't think it is? I'm pretty sure facing Kyle Hendricks three times is easier than facing Miguel Cabrera instead. But again, that doesn't matter. Sure you're likely to have a higher WHIP and ERA in the AL, but you still have to compete in the games you're in and the other guy gets to strike you out too. So it's relative and W/L record remains the same.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:38 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
walkrman5 wrote:
Where does the narrative of "pitching in the national league is easier than pitching in the american league" fit in here?

You don't think it is? I'm pretty sure facing Kyle Hendricks three times is easier than facing Miguel Cabrera instead. But again, that doesn't matter. Sure you're likely to have a higher WHIP and ERA in the AL, but you still have to compete in the games you're in and the other guy gets to strike you out too. So it's relative and W/L record remains the same.

The Power may be shifting. Dodgers now feel like late 90s early 00s Yankees who, in my opinion, made the AL East raise their game and trickled down the entire AL

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:40 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Peoria Matt wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Actually, you are the one bitching. You are just bitching about the wrong thing.

How in the hell can the defending World Series champions be expected to win a game when their starting pitcher gives up 2 earned runs in 6 innings? That's an impossible hill to climb !
:lol: Quintana gave up a 3 run homer to the 4th batter he faced. Those three runs were earned, btw.

That is not an impossible hill to climb, but its pretty damn steep for sure.

The impossible hill to climb appears to be getting to you to put some blame on Quintana and take away all of it from the offense.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:44 am 
Site Admin

rogers park bryan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
walkrman5 wrote:

The Power may be shifting. Dodgers now feel like late 90s early 00s Yankees who, in my opinion, made the AL East raise their game and trickled down the entire AL

Yeah, I don't think that the imbalance we've had with the AL being so superior will last forever. Unless you believe that somehow it is caused by the DH. The imbalance from the early 50s to the early 70s with the NL being supreme was obviously due to quicker acceptance of blacks/Hispanics on the senior circuit.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:47 am 

Peoria Matt wrote:
How in the hell can the defending World Series champions be expected to win a game when their starting pitcher gives up 3 earned runs in 6 innings? That's an impossible hill to climb !

Fixed. My apologies.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
The impossible hill to climb appears to be getting to you to put some blame on Quintana and take away all of it from the offense.

When Quintana goes out and shits the bed, I'll let you know. 3 ER in 6 innings is not that. You know me, Mr. Cubs Apologist.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:51 am 
100000 CLUB

When Quintana goes out and gives up three runs over the first four batters of the game, he puts his team behind the 8-ball.

But, go ahead and blame the offense. I guess CONEtreras should have hit a grand slam in the first inning.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:01 am 
Site Admin

Peoria Matt wrote:
3 ER in 6 innings is not that.

It's higher than the average NL ERA. Certainly not "good".

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:04 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
When Quintana goes out and gives up three runs over the first four batters of the game, he puts his team behind the 8-ball.

But, go ahead and blame the offense. I guess CONEtreras should have hit a grand slam in the first inning.

Yes, it does not put his team in a good spot. But these aren't the Braves or the Reds we're talking about. It's the defending Champs who led the team in scoring last year. Play like it. I will never bitch about a Cubs starting pitcher giving up 3 earned runs.

Unless it's Lackey.

Last edited by Peoria Matt on Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:06 am 
Site Admin

Peoria Matt wrote:
Unless it's Lackey.

Why the Lackey hatred? Quintana will never be the pitcher Lackey has been. And even now when he's in his late 30s and Quintana is in his prime, if I had to win a game I'm going with Lackey.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:07 am 

Peoria Matt wrote:
I will never botch about a Cubs starting pitcher giving up 3 earned runs.

Unless it's Lackey.

that's the double standard; lackey's actually been good lately. quintana came at a price and isn't exactly blowing the barn doors off. he gives up 3 runs in 2 innings, everyone has an excuse. lackey does it and DFA his ass.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:07 am 
100000 CLUB

Peoria Matt wrote:
It's the defending Champs who led the team in scoring last year. Play like it.
A Championship pitcher does a lot better than 3 runs over 6 innings against a last place ballclub.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:08 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:

You sure about that? There are 3 NL starting pitchers with ERA's under 3.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:09 am 

Peoria Matt wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:

You sure about that? There are 3 NL starting pitchers with ERA's under 3.

That's a 4.50 ERA though

I cant even tell who is serious and who is trolling with Quintana anymore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:14 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:
A Championship pitcher does a lot better than 3 runs over 6 innings against a last place ballclub.

Which WS game did Q start last year?

And I was making a joke about Lackey. I can't stand the guy and will never give him the benefit of the doubt. He has pitched well lately. I'm the opposite on Q. I've always liked the guy.

And my mistake on the ERA. Math is not my strong suit.....which is why I'm a mailman.

Last edited by Peoria Matt on Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:22 am 
100000 CLUB

Lester started how many WS games last year? And pitched what, 3 innings in game 7? But it was the Cubs fault for not scoring 15 runs against the Pirates the day before the AS break began, using your logic.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:27 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Lester started how many WS games last year? And pitched what, 3 innings in game 7? But it was the Cubs fault for not scoring 15 runs against the Pirates the day before the AS break began, using your logic.

Not following you.

I assumed you were calling Q a Championship pitcher, which he is not.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:29 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Peoria Matt wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:

And I was making a joke about Lackey. I can't stand the guy and will never give him the benefit of the doubt. He has pitched well lately.

And my mistake on the ERA. Math is not my strong suit.....which is why I'm a mailman.

Peoria Math.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:30 am 
100000 CLUB

I assumed you were blaming the offense 100%. Poor Jon Lester didn't get enough run support vs the Pirates a few weeks back.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:31 am 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:

And I was making a joke about Lackey. I can't stand the guy and will never give him the benefit of the doubt. He has pitched well lately.

Peoria Math.

:lol: :lol:

Exactly. It has come full circle.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:34 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I assumed you were blaming the offense 100%. Poor Jon Lester didn't get enough run support vs the Pirates a few weeks back.

Not at all. Like I said, a SP shits the bed, I'll say so. Q's D-back start- not good. Any Cubs starter who goes out and gives up 3 ER or less in his start has done his job. Especially with this supposedly great offense.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:43 am 
100000 CLUB

Peoria Matt wrote:
Any Cubs starter who goes out and gives up 3 ER or less in his start has done his job.
So much for 'play like a champion'...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:55 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
walkrman5 wrote:

No..I do believe that narrative to be true. Which only says more about Quintana and his performance in the NL so far. I'm not a fan of his. I was hoping he would be able to take a step up so to speak in the NL. It's still too early to say...but early returns are that "he is what we think he is".

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:05 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
:lol: Quintana gives up 3 runs in the first inning, and Cubs fans are bitching about the two runs of support he received. Makes no sense.

Sox fans bitching about a Cubs player while continuing to post in Cub threads- makes total sense.

"The Organization That Spends More Time Following Teams They Hate Than The Ones They Claim to Love"

:lol:

Wonder how many Quintana threads Sox fans are going to start in the Cubs section....yet they dont care about the Cubs...never have :lol:

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:06 am 

I'd say Sox fans being interested in Quintana is justified especially since so many Sox fans were "wrong" about Quintana.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:22 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Quintana hasn't looked good to me aside from the first game. I think he's probably a little better than he has pitched in the last couple games but nothing great (again, strictly from what I've seen).

I just don't attribute it to some inability to win. His peripheral numbers aren't great either.

I had never heard of him before the Cubs, though.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:25 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Quintana fell off this year. He may be hurt, been figured out or lost some of his stuff...but he's not the same pitcher anymore. I would've taken Dylan Cease alone for him and been ecstatic, but the Sox wound up getting the best prospect in all of baseball plus Cease and two (irrelevant) others.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:26 am 

pizza_Place: Palermos on 63rd
Theo got too cute trading for xFIP and alike and it cost him dearly. Jimenez has 70/70 hit/power grades(!) When it comes to pitchers the eye test and stuff are more reliable than advanced metrics. If they were going to give up Jimenez they needed to get Rodon back.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:27 am 

America wrote:
I would've taken Dylan Cease alone for him and been ecstatic

There is no way in hell you would have been happy with that deal.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:31 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
RFDC wrote:
America wrote:
I would've taken Dylan Cease alone for him and been ecstatic

There is no way in hell you would have been happy with that deal.

Go back and read every post I made about Quintana this year. I was ready to give him away as a salary dump...its clear the sun has set on him and I was furious at Hahn for not trading him in the offseason. The Cubs (and Braves, who were willing to give up Albies) apparently couldn't see what was obvious to me.