It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:57 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
If you ever, at any time in his career, were seriously willing to trade Chris Sale for Schwarber, you should definitely not be a GM.

That was the discussion. I said no.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:09 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
If you ever, at any time in his career, were seriously willing to trade Chris Sale for Schwarber, you should definitely not be a GM.

I don't think anyone ever considered that, it's absurd. It was Rodon -Schwarber.. And most of us agreed Rodon > Schwarber.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:12 am 

312player wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

I don't think anyone ever considered that, it's absurd. It was Rodon -Schwarber.. And most of us agreed Rodon > Schwarber.[/quote literally was the reason the Schwarber power numbers post was made.

Last edited by Brick on Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:19 am 

HawaiiYou wrote:
We finally took a series from a good team. I feel like crying.

this.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:34 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Is it fair to question if Schwarbers injury was a concern? Trading Sale for him probably would have been bad.

I dont think it would have been a big concern since his value is like 99% in his bat and the bat looked great in the WS.

Of course, that was only 4 games

But let's say someone was concerned and a bunch of Cubs fans gave him grief. Would it have actually been ok to question the effect of the injury?

In this hypothetical question, did the guy question his hitting in general or just his power because he failed to homer in a four game sample?

Both.

Ate you really going to try and be obtuse leash and act like asking primarily about the power of a power hitter is not talking about his hitting? Are you willing to do this when even his home run numbers will be disappointing?

His lack of home runs in the World Series clearly showed a different hitter.

You are nuts. He was great in the World Series. You seem to not have an understanding of how small a sample size 4 games is. Also...

1. He hit one off the top of the wall against fucking Corey Kluber. So if that ball is 2 feet higher, then all good in your world, which shows how ridiculous it is.

2. His power hasnt gone anywhere. He's got 19 Home Runs in 93 games. Ironically, what's missing is the patient approach from the WS

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:42 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
You are nuts. He was great in the World Series. You seem to not have an understanding of how small a sample size 4 games is. Also...

1. He hit one off the top of the wall against fucking Corey Kluber. So if that ball is 2 feet higher, then all good in your world, which shows how ridiculous it is.

2. His power hasnt gone anywhere. He's got 19 Home Runs in 93 games. Ironically, what's missing is the patient approach from the WS
:lol:

Sticking with it to the very end.

His home run numbers seem ok because MLB is for some reason a home run hitters paradise right now. He's currently 62nd in the league.

Oh, but he ALMOST hit a home run in the World Series so I guess I was wrong to question a guy who has struggled so much he was sent down to the minors and most fans are questioning Theo for not trading him when they could.

Also, let me make this clear. This was in reference to me simply stating there would be a concern in trading him for Chris Sale because the injury may have hurt his power(and his hitting in general but when you are a power hitter like him then it matters more).

Can't you guys admit that maybe, just once, a White Sox fan got a baseball thought right?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:48 am 

You are crazy. This is seriously the worst thought you've ever had on here. His numbers look good because MLB is a homerun hitting paradise? Are you kidding me?

You're just making it worse.

Schwarber's World Series performance in no way showed a loss of power and months later, there is still no loss of power. It's that simple.

And your Sox fan comment is pretty whiny and doesnt even apply to me. I have a rich history of giving Sox fans credit on being right about baseball stuff. Just not so much with you.

Last edited by rogers park bryan on Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:48 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Sticking with it to the very end.

His home run numbers seem ok because MLB is for some reason a home run hitters paradise right now. He's currently 62nd in the league.

Oh, but he ALMOST hit a home run in the World Series so I guess I was wrong to question a guy who has struggled so much he was sent down to the minors and most fans are questioning Theo for not trading him when they could.

Also, let me make this clear. This was in reference to me simply stating there would be a concern in trading him for Chris Sale because the injury may have hurt his power(and his hitting in general but when you are a power hitter like him then it matters more).

Can't you guys admit that maybe, just once, a White Sox fan got a baseball thought right?

Because you didn't. It was a terrible thought. And you absolutely based it on a 4 game sample.

Schwarber still hits 450 foot home runs regularly. His power is not gone. This has nothing to do with his injury. He just sucks at hitting overall.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:15 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:

You are crazy. This is seriously the worst thought you've ever had on here. His numbers look good because MLB is a homerun hitting paradise? Are you kidding me?

You're just making it worse.

Schwarber's World Series performance in no way showed a loss of power and months later, there is still no loss of power. It's that simple.

And your Sox fan comment is pretty whiny and doesnt even apply to me. I have a rich history of giving Sox fans credit on being right about baseball stuff. Just not so much with you.

He's 62nd in the majors in home runs. Is that what you thought he was going to be for his career?

Lots of revisionist history on here about him. He was supposed to be an up and coming elite home run hitter. Now, he's on pace for 25 or so home runs in a massive home run year and you are saying "yeah, that's what we expected".

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:18 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
Because you didn't. It was a terrible thought. And you absolutely based it on a 4 game sample.

Schwarber still hits 450 foot home runs regularly. His power is not gone. This has nothing to do with his injury. He just sucks at hitting overall.
I never said his power would be gone. Are you saying you expected him to be this low on the home run leaders list? Remember, this was a discussion about trading him for Chris Sale and now you are saying that he basically has always been this bad. Where were you then to say this?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:19 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I do not get what is so confusing. He is in fact worse than Rob Deer and his ilk. By a lot. Feel free to have some sentimental love for him due to the WS but he blows.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:19 am 

Your prediction based on a 4-game sample was a bad thought. Just own it and move on. Stop trying to change the argument.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:21 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
pittmike wrote:
I do not get what is so confusing. He is in fact worse than Rob Deer and his ilk. By a lot. Feel free to have some sentimental love for him due to the WS but he blows.

Yup. Strange that there's still such an insistence on defending him by some.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:22 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
He's a folk hero. The Cubs' version of Willie Harris.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:22 am 

No one is defending him whatsoever. We are simply pointing out that Rick's assertion was bad. Schwarber could have zero home runs right now, and Rick's assertion still would have been bad.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:23 am 

America wrote:
He's a folk hero. The Cubs' version of Willie Harris.

This is true. He will be remembered for his playoff performances and that's probably it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:24 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
No one is defending him whatsoever. We are simply pointing out that Rick's assertion was bad. Schwarber could have zero home runs right now, and Rick's assertion still would have been bad.
So my thought, which proved correct, was bad because I saw it with less evidence than you deem acceptable? :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:24 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
Your prediction based on a 4-game sample was a bad thought. Just own it and move on. Stop trying to change the argument.

Poorly constructed prediction that hasnt come true and he's attempting to gloat over it.

Schwarber, even in this terrible year, is averaging a home run every 16 at bats. That works out to 35 for the year based on 550 ABs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:25 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
So my thought, which proved correct, was bad because I saw it with less evidence than you deem acceptable? :lol:

Not correct. His power is still there.

Maybe if you keep saying it, it will change though.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:25 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Poorly constructed prediction that hasnt come true and he's attempting to gloat over it.

Schwarber, even in this terrible year, is averaging a home run every 16 at bats. That works out to 35 for the year based on 550 ABs

But he won't get 35 HRs or 550 ABs because he was sent to the minors because he sucks.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:26 am 

FavreFan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

But he won't get 35 HRs or 550 ABs because he was sent to the minors because he sucks.

Obviously, lack of power is not the issue.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:26 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Do you understand how sample sizes work?

I know that talking about "randomness" and sample sizes is scary because it's not black-and-white, but you acknowledge that they exist, right? You're not a dumb guy - I assume you understand these concepts?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:27 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
FavreFan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Hypothetical Kyle Schwarber > Hypothetical Jose Quintana > Hypothetical Jay Cutler.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:30 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Power was only part of the equation. If he can't hit home runs because he sucks so bad he can't get enough at bats then that is WORSE.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:31 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

I know that talking about "randomness" and sample sizes is scary because it's not black-and-white, but you acknowledge that they exist, right? You're not a dumb guy - I assume you understand these concepts?
It doesn't matter if your sample size is one at bat if you ultimately are correct in your opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:32 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

It doesn't matter if your sample size is one at bat if you ultimately are correct in your opinion.

:lol: Vintage Boilermaker Rick. Black and white. Right or wrong. Binary. No nuance. The world is flat.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:33 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Power was only part of the equation. If he can't hit home runs because he sucks so bad he can't get enough at bats then that is WORSE.

That was not the original argument. Your argument was that his performance in the WS indicated a lack of power (it didnt) and the power is still there.

No one is arguing that he has been good overall.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:34 am 

Also, there is no evidence that the injury is the cause of anything. He's been figured out on the major league level (like many young hitters who break out of the gate eventually are)

Physically, he seems fine.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:35 am 

Arguing that Schwarber is still good is a strange hill for rpb to die on. Just give this one to Rick and move on

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:36 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
:lol: Vintage Boilermaker Rick. Black and white. Right or wrong. Binary. No nuance. The world is flat.
This is pretty simple. With what we know now, would it have been smart to trade Chris Sale for Kyle Schwarber + a few other smaller pieces?

In this case, it is pretty much right or wrong.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next