It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2557 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 86  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:40 am 

City of Fools wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
denisdman wrote:
BTW, I kept thinking, "even Bernsie can turn on a 95 MPH fastball.". Man how that D-bag and his thoughts get stuck in your head.

He did qualify it by saying it would have to be a straight pitch repeated every time and that he would get as many looks at it as he wanted.

Still, I was standing behind the Sox bullpen catcher in the stands when Quintana was warming up one time. Looking at him pitch from that perspective, the ball was seemingly in the catcher's mitt the instant it left his hand...and he wasn't throwing 95.

I think watching games on TV does a disservice to just how good these professional athletes are at their craft.

I'm not here to defend Dan.

However, make of this what you will. I went to the remote in DeKalb and while there met a guy who had worked with Dan in the CBA, and also in minor league baseball, I think before that. He said in college Dan was a SS on a club team, and so I asked him that question. He said without a doubt Dan could hit a straight 95 MPH heater. Said Dan was a pretty good athlete back in the day, better at baseball than basketball but not terrible at basketball either, before he blew out his knee.

Guy runs a buffalo wild wings in South Elgin. Dan had me show him my collection of Zander Hollander basketball books.

This is even worse than Sir because presumably the best 25 players at Duke are on the varsity team and another handful are affiliated but not rostered. Dan didn't play baseball in high school like Sir did.

By the way, this guy spent money on a Duke education and is a manager of a Buffalo Wild WIngs?

Last edited by good dolphin on Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:43 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
City of Fools wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
denisdman wrote:
BTW, I kept thinking, "even Bernsie can turn on a 95 MPH fastball.". Man how that D-bag and his thoughts get stuck in your head.

He did qualify it by saying it would have to be a straight pitch repeated every time and that he would get as many looks at it as he wanted.

Still, I was standing behind the Sox bullpen catcher in the stands when Quintana was warming up one time. Looking at him pitch from that perspective, the ball was seemingly in the catcher's mitt the instant it left his hand...and he wasn't throwing 95.

I think watching games on TV does a disservice to just how good these professional athletes are at their craft.

However, make of this what you will. I went to the remote in DeKalb and while there met a guy who had worked with Dan in the CBA, and also in minor league baseball, I think before that. He said in college Dan was a SS on a club team, and so I asked him that question. He said without a doubt Dan could hit a straight 95 MPH heater. Said Dan was a pretty good athlete back in the day, better at baseball than basketball but not terrible at basketball either, before he blew out his knee.

Guy runs a buffalo wild wings in South Elgin. Dan had me show him my collection of Zander Hollander basketball books.

You tell Schmutzie hello from us ?

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:44 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Does the W redeem Strasburg?

In my opinion it does not. Sure it is a salve but how do you avoid the character defining truth that he balked on taking the ball in an elimination game while on full rest.

It does not for me either.

I cannot fathom that you have to be shamed into taking the ball in an elimination game.

Cannot criticize the dude on the mound, he has been great. But completely free to criticize his heart. I would bet there are still guys in their clubhouse that are pissed at him.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:45 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
The whole lying about a flu or iv or whatever was really pathetic by the Nationals too

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:46 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
badrogue17 wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
denisdman wrote:

You tell Schmutzie hello from us ?

is that who that is? I've never met him.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:49 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
RFDC wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

In my opinion it does not. Sure it is a salve but how do you avoid the character defining truth that he balked on taking the ball in an elimination game while on full rest.

I cannot fathom that you have to be shamed into taking the ball in an elimination game.

Cannot criticize the dude on the mound, he has been great. But completely free to criticize his heart. I would bet there are still guys in their clubhouse that are pissed at him.

I think this works out well. I had the feeling Roark would turn in a great game. Now you have Gio in an elimination game instead of Strasburg. I think this is a better chance for the Cubs than I gave them. I had Nats in 5, not so sure now.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:50 am 

City of Fools wrote:
RFDC wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I think this works out well. I had the feeling Roark would turn in a great game. Now you have Gio in an elimination game instead of Strasburg. I think this is a better chance for the Cubs than I gave them. I had Nats in 5, not so sure now.

I would feel better if you thought they had no chance tonight.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:55 am 

City of Fools wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
denisdman wrote:

However, make of this what you will.

oh believe me, we will make something of it.

City of Fools wrote:
I went to the remote in DeKalb and while there met a guy who had worked with Dan in the CBA, and also in minor league baseball, I think before that. He said in college Dan was a SS on a club team, and so I asked him that question. He said without a doubt Dan could hit a straight 95 MPH heater. Said Dan was a pretty good athlete back in the day, better at baseball than basketball but not terrible at basketball either, before he blew out his knee.

Bernstein in the DeKalb years

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:58 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
denisdman wrote:
Of course it was. There was a 15 MPH difference in speed and lots of movement. But they were missing the fastball, which was exactly 95 MPH all night. Then with two strikes, it was a change below the knees. At some point, you have to recognize that pattern.

Heyward definitely did. But he seemed to be the only one.

That's probably why he's had so much success against him.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:59 am 

Hockey Gay wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
I don't see a lifeless performance.

I saw a dominant pitcher dominate and a bullpen implode.

They'll have a good shot tomorrow.

Last year should get them the benefit of the doubt but being a Cubs fan I understand the angst, I just don't share it.

Anyway, Laz Diaz and Russell off the hook.

I agree with my favorite wigger. We will win this.

I'm uncomfortable with that term.

Please dont ever use it again and change your entire view on such things. Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:01 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
good dolphin wrote:
denisdman wrote:

I saw a couple innings of Nolan Ryan in the first row behind the plate at Wrigley before they kicked us out.

It was amazing. You could hear the ball whistling.

And that was during his Houston days when he was well into his 30s.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:02 am 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
denisdman wrote:

I saw a couple innings of Nolan Ryan in the first row behind the plate at Wrigley before they kicked us out.

It was amazing. You could hear the ball whistling.

One of my first Cub games, my dad took me down to watch Lee Smith warm up. Amazing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:05 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
pittmike wrote:
The espn radio folks were making it seem that the Strasburg change was devastating after his gas though.

I'm not saying Strasburg sucks. It is a good change. But everyone in the ballpark knew it was coming. Just read low and lay off. Strasburg used the FB mostly to change eye level. He wasn't throwing so many low FB over the plate.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:07 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:10 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Someone on YouTube has put out a bunch of pitchers warming up in Bostons bullpen from behind the catchers view videos . Bernstein ain't hitting 95.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:18 am 

I think what the Cubs are missing is Baez' game changing tag technique.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:19 am 

good dolphin wrote:

Offset by Lester's pickoff.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:21 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
badrogue17 wrote:
Someone on YouTube has put out a bunch of pitchers warming up in Bostons bullpen from behind the catchers view videos . Bernstein ain't hitting 95.

And I wasn't saying that he would. But the thought crossed my mind every time I saw the board " 95 MPH fastball."

But for MVP quality guys like Rizzo and Bryant, it shouldn't be an issue.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:22 am 

denisdman wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

And I wasn't saying that he would. But the thought crossed my mind every time I saw the board " 95 MPH fastball."

But for MVP quality guys like Rizzo and Bryant, it shouldn't be an issue.

Not to defend them but Strasburg is an ISSUE for everyone.

that should be his nickname. "Issues". It works on many levels.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:26 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Bryant and others are so desirous of working the count or drawing walks that they become tentative against good pitchers and end up in bad counts.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:28 am 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
Bryant and others are so desirous of working the count or drawing walks that they become tentative against good pitchers and end up in bad counts.

That's true. Sometimes you need to have the mentality of hit or nothing. Walk does no good.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:35 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
rogers park bryan wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

It's amazing how that guy can throw through a teacup from 60'6", but cannot even get the ball over to 1st base on the fly from the mound.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:37 am 

pizza_Place: John's
Strasburg was going to that change that fell into the dirt on every single strike two count he had. It still don't understand the Cubs didn't start sitting on the change...he clearly wasn't going FB on those counts.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:48 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

It's amazing how that guy can throw through a teacup from 60'6", but cannot even get the ball over to 1st base on the fly from the mound.

It is and it isnt. I mean how much time do these guys spend trying replicate their motion exactly. A pickoff (all arm throw) is the opposite of what they are working on

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:16 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
rogers park bryan wrote:
Hockey Gay wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
I don't see a lifeless performance.

I saw a dominant pitcher dominate and a bullpen implode.

They'll have a good shot tomorrow.

Last year should get them the benefit of the doubt but being a Cubs fan I understand the angst, I just don't share it.

Anyway, Laz Diaz and Russell off the hook.

I agree with my favorite wigger. We will win this.

I'm uncomfortable with that term.

Please dont ever use it again and change your entire view on such things. Thank you.

:lol:

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:45 am 

I've heard that Dexter Fowler and David Ross may be flying to Washington for tonight's game. Hang out with the guys...loosen them up.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:45 am 

Can't wait for this game five.

Hendricks hopefully does his thing against this tough Nats lineup and then the cavalry comes in after that. Same thing with the Nats obviously but regardless of who the Nats start the Cubs will have the advantage of the better starting pitcher. Scherzer won't be fun to face tonight.

Lets get some of these bats going, KB notably.

Go Cubs.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:48 am 

IMU wrote:
I've heard that Dexter Fowler and David Ross may be flying to Washington for tonight's game. Hang out with the guys...loosen them up.

Cardinal fans will literally try to Lynch Fowler if that happens

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:49 am 

One Post wrote:
Can't wait for this game five.

Hendricks hopefully does his thing against this tough Nats lineup and then the cavalry comes in after that. Same thing with the Nats obviously but regardless of who the Nats start the Cubs will have the advantage of the better starting pitcher. Scherzer won't be fun to face tonight.

Lets get some of these bats going, KB notably.

Go Cubs.

It's a race between the Cubs scoring and Max coming in. Whatever happens first will likely determine the winner.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:58 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
IMU wrote:

Cardinal fans will literally try to Lynch Fowler if that happens

Like anyone in St Louis needs an excuse to lynch a black man...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2557 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 86  Next