It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Lucio's
This is incredible. I hope the Cubs buy it and put it in their museum. The 12 minute video is incredible.

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/u ... ollection/

Illinois Shop Owner Hits Jackpot with Purchase of Ultimate Cubs Card Collection

October 9, 2017 By Bob D'Angelo

Brad Parvin is not a fan of the team, but the Illinois card shop owner now owns of the most incredible collections of Chicago Cubs cards, team-issued photos, pins and other memorabilia.

From Cap Anson to Kris Bryant, including Mordecai “Three Finger” Brown and Tinker-to-Evers-to-Chance, and from the 1887 Old Judge set to modern-day Topps, it’s all there. Virtually every notable set. Every player. Cards from when the team was called the White Stockings, the Colts, the Orphans, and finally, the Cubs.
Brad Parvin, owner of The Collector’s Bench in Rockford, IL.

“I’ll argue and bet you that I’ve got the largest Cubs collection in the country,” said Parvin, who opened The Collector’s Bench four months ago in Rockford.

Or the world, for that matter.

Like most card shop owners, Parvin fields telephone calls from people who want to sell their collections. A call in mid-August would lead to a jaw-dropping experience.

“Every day I get a call: ‘Hey, do you buy stuff?’ Well, of course I do,” Parvin said. “He said, ‘I’ve got every Cubs set since 1887.’”

Parvin wasn’t born yesterday. In fact, he’s 36 and has “done this my whole life.”

“I went from a card collector who was unknown to doing case breaks (on Top Cut Breaks),” he said.

There were red flags everywhere as Parvin continued the conversation.

“So I tell the guy, ‘bring it in’ and he says ‘well I can’t bring it all in,” said Parvin, who suggested the customer “bring him a sample” of what he had.

“I figured he was going to bring me in a bunch of (Andre) Dawsons,” he said.

The man, who was “a guy 50 to 60,” came into the shop with several binders.

“He was the most organized guy I’ve ever met,” Parvin said. “The binders were labeled, ‘1887-1888,’ ‘1952 to 1954,’ ‘The 1970s.’

“He had all of the (Ernie) Banks cards, all of the (Ron) Santos, all of the (Billy) Williams.”

In the immortal words of the late Cubs broadcaster Harry Caray, “Holy cow!”

Parvin was interested and after reviewing the entire collection the two quickly settled on a price in the neighborhood of $300,000.

“If it were the Yankees it would be a hundred million,” he said.

Not only did the seller have the cards, he had binders full of papers listing every card in the collection (check out the video below). Parvin did not reveal his name, but he provided some background about a man who “is just one of those Cubs fanatics.”

“He told me ‘I’m not hurting for money. But my youngest son graduates in four years and we’re going to move into a smaller place,’” Parvin said. “He’s still working, he’s got a good job. But he said he couldn’t keep up with all the new stuff.”

So the cards had to go. Along with the massive Coca-Cola collection he assembled for his wife (“He started it for her and then went overboard”). This guy is a hard-core collector. Parvin settled for the cards — but not the Coca-Coca stuff — and wondered if the seller had non-Cubs cards.

He did. A 1933 Goudey card of Lou Gehrig, which Parvin also bought.

To amass a collection like this should take a lifetime, but Parvin said the collector probably needed less than 10 years.

“When I asked him how long, he said ‘A lot shorter than you think,’” Parvin said.

Originally, Parvin estimated the number of cards and memorabilia to be in the hundreds of thousands, but now he would not be surprised if the collection had more than a million items.

“I haven’t been able to thumb through it all yet,” Parvin said. “But he’s got the 1969 Dunkin Donuts set, the 1971 Milk Duds, Cap Anson, Mordecai Brown, silks. It was things you’d never seen before. Every day I go through it and find something different.”

Parvin said he especially enjoyed the team photos and the original envelopes they came in.

Not all of the cards are graded, but a significant portion of the most valuable cards are slabbed. Just about everything is in good shape.

“Are they pristine? No,” Parvin said. “Is the collection complete? Well, there are checklists for the cards from the 1930s on. Before that, there may be some cards missing, but I’d bet they’re all there.”

Parvin brought about “10 percent” of the collection to display in his shop, “and it covers all the tables” in the center aisle. Reaction has been positive. The collection has already been featured in a local newspaper and a TV news crew from WGN in Chicago drove over last week to produce a story that aired on Monday.

Card collecting has been in Parvin’s blood since he was youngster growing up in Rockford. It was one way to connect with his father, who was a softball umpire on weekends and rarely saw his son. Parvin’s parents divorced when he was young, but he would talk sports with his father on the telephone.

“I’d open cards while on the telephone with Dad, we’d talk sports,” he said. “In 1986 I’m five years old and ripping packs. I’d pull a Mike Schmidt and I’d say, ‘I don’t know him, is he any good?’ I can’t even tie my shoes but I’m talking Mike Schmidt with my dad.”

Parvin may be in Cubs country, but he is a Yankees fan. Growing up, his favorite player was Darryl Strawberry, who played his final five major-league seasons with the Yankees.

“I’ve got two of every card ever made of him when he was playing,” Parvin said.

Parvin attended Palm Beach Atlantic University in Florida. He has a background in finance, and his take on card values reflects a stockbroker’s mentality. He calls the recent offerings of cards “great.”

“Vintage cards are like mutual funds. They’re safe and they will hold their value,” he said. “The new card market is volatile. If you sold an Aaron Judge card before this season for $100 you were dancing a jig. Now some of his cards are in the thousands.”

Opening a shop in Rockford has been a fun experience. “It’s a card bar, an easy, relaxed place,” Parvin said. “I don’t have stuff thrown everywhere. It looks more like a museum. I’m just a guy that works there. It’s my customers’ shop.”

A father of three and married to his wife Natalie for nearly seven years (their anniversary is Oct. 22), Parvin is hoping the Cubs collection will bring his family some security.

“The ultimate thing is I’d like to sell it to (Cubs owner) Mr. (Thomas) Ricketts,” he said. “Or, if we can find a real good buyer for it that would be great.

“Then again, if we get ‘x’ amount of dollars and season tickets, well that would be cool, too, Parvin said. “If (the collection) was the Padres or the Angels I wouldn’t care. But when it’s such a revered team with such a long history, then that’s cool.”

If a buyer does not step up to purchase the collection, “I’ll piecemeal it” and sell it, Parvin said.

But for now, he will enjoy his good fortune.

“I’m a fanatic, I love it — and I’m not even a Cubs fan,” he said.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
There is only one card you ever need in a Cubs collection.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:28 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:30 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Coalfire
Any cards of the hotel room mold?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:20 pm 

RFDC's brother in law finally struck it big. Those years of collecting finally paid off.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:54 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
I'm pretty sure I know the guy who sold him all that stuff. He's been shopping that collection for a long time. I have a list of all the stuff somewhere. There was even a Cub pinball machine. The guy that owned it isn't a dope. I'm pretty sure he reached out to the Cubs with the stuff, but that was before they had the triangle building, i.e. space for a museum.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:12 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Yesterday I saw a nu-Volkswagen Beetle that was totally decked out with GO CUBS GO lettering, logos, Wrigley marquees, and the whole 9 yards on every bit of trunk/roof/panel/door/etc... I couldn't take a picture cuz of the monsoon, but holy shit I wanted to get a visual record if how dumb some people are =]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:47 am 

Douchebag wrote:
RFDC's brother in law finally struck it big. Those years of collecting finally paid off.

:lol:

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:30 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
I've had to come to terms long ago that my rather large card collection would never really be worth anything. As a kid, I remember people telling me it would put me through college :lol:

Did I read that right that the guy only bought 10% of the collection?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:05 am 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Brought 10% to display in store. Too much to display all of it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:06 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:43 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Chris Sale won't like pasta's post. At. All.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:45 am 

RFDC wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

You just know that guy will read an article like this and double down on the card purchasing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:47 am 

Douchebag wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

You just know that guy will read an article like this and double down on the card purchasing.

No doubt, this is why God put him on the earth.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
This is simply just outstanding. A collection of this magnitude comes along once in a lifetime. Tom Ricketts better have his team archivists all over this! Ephemera preserved in such great condition is extremely rare.

In this disposable digital age, gems like these cards, photographs, promotional items and programs are priceless treasures. I remember those Cub Power stickers like it was yesterday. I also remember my grandparents having some cardboard pizza boxes featuring Cubs players. I wish I had some of those... great share, '77. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:34 pm 

Godfella wrote:
This is simply just outstanding. A collection of this magnitude comes along once in a lifetime. Tom Ricketts better have his team archivists all over this! Ephemera preserved in such great condition is extremely rare.

In this disposable digital age, gems like these cards, photographs, promotional items and programs are priceless treasures. I remember those Cub Power stickers like it was yesterday. I also remember my grandparents having some cardboard pizza boxes featuring Cubs players. I wish I had some of those... great share, '77. Thanks!

You're welcome. And yes, this needs to be in the Cubs museum.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:50 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
cool story.

i loaded up on grade 9 or 10 Bryant rookie cards last year. :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:21 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
I’m pretty sure I still have my 14 Topps 1977 Manny Trillos.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:28 pm 

Remember on routine plays how he would always look at the ball like he was reading the trademark before firing it to 1st base?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:31 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
'77Cubs wrote:
Remember how he looked at the ball before firing it to 1st base?

That was great. He was like Gollum staring at the ring.

Kris Bryant does a bit of that but, obviously, not as long.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
City of Fools wrote:
I've had to come to terms long ago that my rather large card collection would never really be worth anything. As a kid, I remember people telling me it would put me through college :lol:

Did I read that right that the guy only bought 10% of the collection?

Our generation got hosed. I still have thousands of cards sitting in my parents basement, hoping they'll gain their rightful value.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:36 pm 

My brother and I have every complete set from 1975-1991.

Every Pete Rose card because he was a no doubt HOFer.

Some really good stuff from the ‘50s/‘60s.

Don’t even remember whose house they are in now.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
leashyourkids wrote:
hoping they'll gain their rightful value.

Rightful value? :lol:

Hopefully it was a labor of love, because that shit will not appreciably go up in value.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:38 pm 

Furious Styles wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
hoping they'll gain their rightful value.

Rightful value? :lol:

Hopefully it was a labor of love, because that shit will not appreciably go up in value.

I know. I meant it sarcastically.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
That shit is virtually worthless, brougham. Why even bother keeping it around?

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:53 pm 

Furious Styles wrote:

IT’S STILL REAL TO ME, DAMNIT!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:02 pm 

Furious Styles wrote:

Why keep cherished mementos that remind me of my childhood?

Are you and spmack doing some sort of dark comedy routine tonight?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:03 pm 

where has spmack been?

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:12 pm 

RFDC wrote:
where has spmack been?

Twitter.

He doesn’t have access to the internet.