It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1010 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 34  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:41 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Jbi11s wrote:
We don't need Stanton.

We don't need any more elite hitters.

We need to be able to pay Bryant, Russell, and Baez when the time comes.

You have hit on an important future problem.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:08 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Stanton - why would he want to go to SF. That ballpark is crap for hitting HRs.

Stanton/Harper - they aren't coming to the Cubs.

Schwarber - I see Gary Sanchez for the Yankees and see another version of Kyle. Scharb would actually be a better hitter than Sanchez and maybe the same defensively. Some team out there would go for that I think.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
pittmike wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
We don't need Stanton.

That's why I think it's very smart for Theo Hoyer to be developing pitching in the minors as phase 2 of this rebuild. That way with (hypothetically) young, homegrown, and cheap pitching performing well enough you can pay the core hitters on the team while still being able to compete every year.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:33 pm 

Jbi11s wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
We don't need Stanton.

That's why I think it's very smart for Theo Hoyer to be developing pitching in the minors as phase 2 of this rebuild. That way with (hypothetically) young, homegrown, and cheap pitching performing well enough you can pay the core hitters on the team while still being able to compete every year.

thats risky. the window is right now. don't know if you can pin your hopes on minor prospects (or mount prospects).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:39 pm 

HawaiiYou wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
We don't need Stanton.

thats risky. the window is right now. don't know if you can pin your hopes on minor prospects (or mount prospects).

Can't just worry your way to another championship. You have to have a plan. It appears, considering the bulk of draft prospects have been pitchers the past 2 years, Cubs management is keen on developing homegrown arms. If you can look at this from a GM perspective, it is a great idea to be able to save $$$ you would otherwise use to sign pitching depth then in turn use it on Bryant, Russell, and Baez.

Why is the window so small for you? Those 3 I just named haven't even hit their primes yet. The window for the hitters is much longer. It's retooling the pitching staff which will determine the team's success going forward. The Arrieta, Lester, Lackey window is closed IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:54 pm 

i think the window is just 2-3 years for the current core of this team that's already proven.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Lucio's
The problem with the young arms is Tseng is the only one close. If you look 3 years out, they may have a bunch but that's 3 years out.

Last edited by '77Cubs on Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:00 pm 

HawaiiYou wrote:
i think the window is just 2-3 years for the current core of this team that's already proven.

And who is that you speak of?

Rizzo is 28
Bryant is 25
Contreras is 25
Baez is 24
Russell is 23

thata at least 5 or 6 more healthy years of a window open for these guys. Take out Rizzo, and it's even longer.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:02 pm 

Jbi11s wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

Rizzo is 28
Bryant is 25
Contreras is 25
Baez is 24
Russell is 23

thata at least 5 or 6 more healthy years of a window open for these guys. Take out Rizzo, and it's even longer.

you didnt list any pitchers on that list.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:06 pm 

'77Cubs wrote:
The problem with the young arms is Tseng is the only one close. If you look 3 years out, they may have a bunch but that's 3 years out.

I can almost 100% guarantee you one or two of them will be in the bullpen next year, and more than a few in 2019.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:08 pm 

I'm not as optimistic as jb11s since I've heard the same argument back in the day about the 85 bears. And you never really know in sports.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:09 pm 

Also, let's not dismiss the high probability one or more of Happ, Schwarber, Caratini, and possibly Baez being moved this offseason. That will surely bring a young pitching prospect in return.

Last edited by Jbi11s on Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:09 pm 

HawaiiYou wrote:
I'm not as optimistic as jb11s since I've heard the same argument back in the day about the 85 bears. And you never really know in sports.

and the 05 Sox.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:10 pm 

Jbi11s wrote:
'77Cubs wrote:

I can almost 100% guarantee you one or two of them will be in the bullpen next year, and more than a few in 2019.

Maples for sure and Tseng should see some innings as a spot starter if any injuries.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:10 pm 

Jbi11s wrote:
Also, let's not dismiss the high probability one or more of Happ, Schwarber, Caratini, and possibly Baez will be moved this offseason. That will surely bring a young pitching prospect in return.

I think they'll get better than a prospect this offseason if you package a few of those guys. Schwarber alone you'll get at least a #2 or #3.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:12 pm 

Jbi11s wrote:
Also, let's not dismiss the high probability one or more of Happ, Schwarber, Caratini, and possibly Baez will be moved this offseason. That will surely bring a young pitching prospect in return.

With the expansion talk, I wonder about the DH in the NL if not more inter league play. You know Theo won't be giving away Schwarber.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:12 pm 

Who's in the bullpen next year from this year ?

CJ - I think Joe likes him and he's in.

Monty - this guy went to shit so fast it's unreal. Lights out last year in the playoffs but exact opposite this year. I guess they still want to make him a #5 starter?

Strop - staying I think

Grimm - gone
Rondon - gone
Wilson - should be gone
Duensing - I guess keep him.
Davis - got to sign him you'd think

What other bums am I missing here?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:14 pm 

'77Cubs wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

With the expansion talk, I wonder about the DH in the NL if not more inter league play. You know Theo won't be giving away Schwarber.

When's the next CBA up? Remember last time MLB agreed to get rid of the DH and everyone was in agreement except Donald Fehr of the players association? Real SOB. Anyway, they even offered another roster spot for every team in exchanged of getting rid of the DH. But that fucker had to screw it up.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:23 pm 

HawaiiYou wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

Rizzo is 28
Bryant is 25
Contreras is 25
Baez is 24
Russell is 23

you didnt list any pitchers on that list.

Of course not. Who is there really outside of Q and maybe Hendricks? Strop seems to have figured some things out. Edwards is not who I thought he was. Davis could really be hurt, and that's why we haven't seen him. Wilson must not want to play in Chicago. Lester is old.

Keep in mind, the Hendricks deception pitching style could go to shit real fast.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:24 pm 

HawaiiYou wrote:

Monty - this guy went to shit so fast it's unreal. Lights out last year in the playoffs but exact opposite this year. I guess they still want to make him a #5 starter?

Strop - staying I think

Grimm - gone
Rondon - gone
Wilson - should be gone

Duensing and Davis will be all based on dollars that they are offered as FAs. If someone offers Davis 4 years, he's gone. But what about 3?? He is older so there is risk going beyond 2 years so it's a major decision because you have to have a lock down closer. That's why we should have paid Jensen whatever it would have taken. Wilson is worth keeping as a reclamation project. Agree with the others listed.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:25 pm 

'77Cubs wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

Yeah, I wish the love affair with Schwarber would end. Tho, I have to admit with him on the team we can compete with any AL roster.

Don't think the DH will be discussed until the next CBA is up. I'd be a fan of more interleague tho.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:27 pm 

'77Cubs wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

Strop - staying I think

Grimm - gone
Rondon - gone
Wilson - should be gone

Duensing and Davis will be all based on dollars that they are offered as FAs. If someone offers Davis 4 years, he's gone. But what about 3?? He is older so there is risk going beyond 2 years so it's a major decision because you have to have a lock down closer. That's why we should have paid Jensen whatever it would have taken. Wilson is worth keeping as a reclamation project. Agree with the others listed.

I'm really concerned Davis is hurt. Pedro kept saying that after game 2, and it wouldn't surprise me. Joe really burnt him in that game 5.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:30 pm 

Jbi11s wrote:
'77Cubs wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

Strop - staying I think

Grimm - gone
Rondon - gone
Wilson - should be gone

I'm really concerned Davis is hurt. Pedro kept saying that after game 2, and it wouldn't surprise me. Joe really burnt him in that game 5.

Maybe that's why the team is so dead, knowing their closer is toast.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:34 pm 

'77Cubs wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
'77Cubs wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

Strop - staying I think

Grimm - gone
Rondon - gone
Wilson - should be gone

Maybe that's why the team is so dead, knowing their closer is toast.

i guess we will know once this season is over.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:03 am 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Cubs will go starter relieved by starter tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:11 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Big Chicagoan wrote:
Cubs will go starter relieved by starter tomorrow.

Hopefully we get ..

Quintana
Duensing
Strop

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:19 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
Wilson will be in the bullpen next year.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:57 pm 

Well it was fun while it lasted...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:01 am 

Schwarber for Zach Britton was suggested by one of my baseball guys as a possibility.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:21 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Matt Snyder on CBS site writes that Schwarber goes nowhere. Theo won't do it. Far more possible the Cubs eat major money and trade Heyward.

-Ronald Reagan

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1010 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 34  Next