It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1010 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:22 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Is Theo done with the off season signings? I can't believe there are so many big names still without a contract. Owners really screwing over the players this year.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:58 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Who do you think is getting screwed over?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
HawaiiYou wrote:
Is Theo done with the off season signings? I can't believe there are so many big names still without a contract. Owners really screwing over the players this year.

There's really no place for anybody on their 25 man.

HawaiiYou wrote:
Owners really screwing over the players this year.

Eric Hosmer got 8 years/$144M. Darvish got 6 years.

Nobody's getting screwed over. But GMs are realizing that paying FA money to 1.5-2 WAR players in the decline phase of their careers is risky.

Guys who were starters who are already bench guys are making their coin. Chase Utley just re-signed with the Dodgers at 39 years old. Howie Kendrick has been bouncing around as a RH pinch hit bat who can play LF/2B/1B, but he re-signed a few weeks ago with the Nationals, who picked him up mid-season from Philly.

The guys who are getting less are the guys who have been starters and aren't willing to accept the transition to being not much better than a AAA player. Jonathan Lucroy comes to mind. He should be a Met, he'd be an upgrade over Kevin Plawecki. But Plawecki made $511k last year, and Lucroy isn't going to bother playing for $1M.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
IMU wrote:
Or out of baseball completely, as he was considering a few weeks before the trade to the Cubs.

So Jake gets no credit for his improvement?

He gets credit for listening to a much better pitching coach.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:47 pm 

Alex Cobb still a target? Seems like all these guys you can get for much less than what we thought 3 mo ago.

I think Jake is going to the Phillies. If he's just out for the money, they will offer him the most money.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:14 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
They have no need for a pitcher. They need a get on, get over, get in guy. I still am hoping they trade big hoss for Bradley Jr.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:31 am 

Is Bradley that guy? I just want someone that is close to as good as Dex was for us leading off.

I guess Almora is a no? Seems like the brass doesn't think he can do it day to day. So many guys thru the years that never get a chance since the bigwigs determine they can't do this or that without even giving them a shot.

And what happened to Dillon Maples? He's another one the brass doesnt think is a MLB level player?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:36 am 

Maples is thought to be part of the bullpen this year.

I think Almora will get a shot to show what he can do

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:47 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
If Big Hoss leads off opening day I will lose my fucking mind. I like all the other moves other than keeping grimm even though he got destroyed in arbitration.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:05 am 

pizza_Place: Lucio's
Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
If Big Hoss leads off opening day I will lose my fucking mind. I like all the other moves other than keeping grimm even though he got destroyed in arbitration.

They can still cut Grimm by opening day and just owe him termination pay. Gotta think he has to pitch damn well this spring or he is bye bye along with his 2.2M salary and roster spot.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:03 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
If Big Hoss leads off opening day I will lose my fucking mind.

This.

Joe doesn't want to admit he was wrong on that so he probably will be leading off.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:34 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Bruce Levine was on M&H one day last week and suggested that Heyward might get a chance to lead off.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:02 pm 

Heyward leading off is dumb, wouldn't surprise me to see Maddon waste 200 at bats there before he's moved down. All this Heyward off season talk is horseshit..the guy isn't good, won't be good with Chili Davis or any other excuses I keep hearing..bat the bum 8th and live with the contract.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:03 pm 

Peoria Matt wrote:
If Big Hoss leads off opening day I will lose my fucking mind.

This.

Joe doesn't want to admit he was wrong on that so he probably will be leading off.

I think it's more Joe was pissed Theo didnt get him a legitimate lead off hitter and put Babe up there to get back at him. Joe's been around the game too long to not know Babe is not a lead off hitter. It was more of a petty F U to Theo.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:46 pm 

It'll be mix and match again for lead off. Zobrist when he plays probably will see the most ABs. Heyward may get a chance but Congress will get their shit together before that works out although it would be nice if he became a LH Chili Davis...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
312player wrote:
bat the bum 8th and live with the contract.

This is the only sane opinion on Heyward at this point.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:34 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
312player wrote:
bat the bum 8th and live with the contract.

This is the only sane opinion on Heyward at this point.

:wink:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:35 pm 

www.bostonsportsjournal.com/2018/02/19/ ... ting-2017/

Boston wasn't happy with Chilli Davis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:32 am 

312player wrote:
http://www.bostonsportsjournal.com/2018/02/19/ownership-points-fingers-john-farrell-chili-davis-disappointing-2017/

Boston wasn't happy with Chilli Davis

batting coach has to be the most maligned field position in all of baseball. You can teach sound principals and they still might not work...or players might now follow it with no ramifications for them...or a thousand other things.

The first slump of the year, fans start calling for the hitting coach's head. It is an easy, quick fix signifying nothing to a sophisticated observer. You almost never hear of a hitting coach who has been with a team for a decade.

Mallee was the toast of Dan Bernstein at this time last year.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:46 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
rudy jaramillo!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:35 pm 

Grimm gone!!!!!

http://www.bleachernation.com/2018/03/1 ... lications/

Every year, we note this with respect to guys who were borderline non-tenders, and sometimes it comes to pass: arbitration-level contracts are not fully guaranteed, so all that is risked by tendering those borderline guys is (1) a 40-man spot for the winter, and (2) 30 or 45 days termination pay.

One of those guys back in December was reliever Justin Grimm, who seemed to really lose his command last year, and came into this season with an uncertain hold, at best, on the final spot in the Cubs’ bullpen. After losing his arbitration case to the Cubs, we noted that – if he didn’t perform well in Spring Training – the Cubs could release him with only termination pay.

And, per multiple reports, that’s just what the Cubs have done. Justin Grimm has been released.

The implications of Grimm being out are several:

The Cubs save a little under $2 million in 2018 salary, which can now be used for in-season moves or – strictly speaking – a shocking late-Spring signing. At present, the Cubs have about $12 million in flexibility under the luxury tax cap, so now that bumps up to closer to $14 million. But when accounting for roster churn during the season (i.e., call-ups who go from minor league salaries to pro-rated Major League minimum) and bonuses accumulated, that’s probably more like $10 or $11 million. Plenty for in-season additions, debatably still not enough to go out and sign, for example, Greg Holland to a steal of a one-year deal.

The 8th reliever spot continues to be up for grabs. Among the guys realistically in the mix: Eddie Butler (he’s out of options), Dillon Maples (has options), Randy Rosario (has options), Shae Simmons (has options), Anthony Bass (in on minor league deal), Alberto Baldonado (in on minor league deal), Michael Roth (in on minor league deal), and Kyle Wren (in on minor league deal).

My guess is the Cubs will use this as an opportunity to hang onto Butler for a little bit longer, since he’s likely to be claimed by a rebuilding club if he were subjected to waivers. Butler could be used in a swing role similar to Mike Montgomery, allowing a little protection for Montgomery from having to be shuttled around too much, and also giving Butler an opportunity to show what he could do in shorter bursts. With him, though, the command issues are the thing. He’s got the velocity and the stuff.

If Pedro Strop, who hasn’t yet pitched in Spring Training, starts the year on the DL, there are actually two available spots.

Grimm will undoubtedly latch on with another club and try to win a big league job, though it may take some time in the minor leagues to get there. Best of luck to him – when he was on, the guy had some of the nastiest stuff in the organization.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:02 pm 

The entire team is hitting the ball now. They are hot, even Heyward. Season needs to start tomorrow instead of a week from tomorrow. Even for Arizona, the Cubs offensive numbers are outrageous.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
http://www.bleachernation.com/2018/03/2 ... ecruiters/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:48 am 

GoldenJet wrote:
http://www.bleachernation.com/2018/03/26/must-read-of-the-day-the-cubs-are-quickly-becoming-mlbs-best-recruiters/

You should probably put this in the "signed for less" thread.

The foundation of his thesis is that a guy who grabbed at a life preserver contract is evidence of something. The Phillies must be awesome recruiters as well because Arrietta signed with them. Now remember, they went into the off season with Cobb and Arrietta as their primary targets for pitching and couldn't land them, which lead to waiting for collusion to grind Darvish into desperation. Ohtani also did not choose them, despite there super awesome presentation.

Again, I ask the question, why does it seem so important to the organization to be thought of this way by writers?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:21 am 

pizza_Place: John's
good dolphin wrote:

Again, I ask the question, why does it seem so important to the organization to be thought of this way by writers?

BleacherNation.com is an independent blog with no official relationship to the Cubs, whatsoever. Go home Dolphin. Bad opening day for you.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:53 am 

Caller Bob wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

BleacherNation.com is an independent blog with no official relationship to the Cubs, whatsoever. Go home Dolphin. Bad opening day for you.

They have writers, correct?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:58 am 

Maybe a trade piece for a suspect/prospect? Let's hope they don't need him.

Patrick Mooney
‏Verified account @PJ_Mooney
14m14 minutes ago

Chris Coghlan has signed a minor-league deal with the #Cubs and started working out at their Arizona complex, as @bleedcubbieblue spotted. Coghlan, a veteran outfielder from the 2016 World Series team, will be in extended spring training.
14 replies 44 retweets 104 likes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:12 am 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
'77Cubs wrote:
Maybe a trade piece for a suspect/prospect? Let's hope they don't need him.

Patrick Mooney
‏Verified account @PJ_Mooney
14m14 minutes ago

Chris Coghlan has signed a minor-league deal with the #Cubs and started working out at their Arizona complex, as @bleedcubbieblue spotted. Coghlan, a veteran outfielder from the 2016 World Series team, will be in extended spring training.
14 replies 44 retweets 104 likes

He was playing in their simulated game earlier in the week.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:25 pm 

IMU wrote:
Interested in Darvish but it depends on cost. Would rather get Arrieta back.

:(

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:35 pm 

DAC wrote:
You don't sell Wilson at his lowest. You keep him and hope he returns to form. The upside for what he can be is much more valuable than the upside of what you would get for him in a trade.

If the Cubs don't like the price for Cobb, Fister on a 1 or 2 year deal as a back of the rotation starter for 8-10 million is not a bad option. Good info on Fangraph as a possible value as a free agent.

Fancy that, it looks like Wilson wasn't at his lowest in November.

He might not even be there after today either...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1010 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next