It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1010 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 34  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:26 am 

MartyD47 wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Mike Murphy said over the weekend his Cubs guy is saying trading Heyward is Theo's number one priority for the off season.

Clearly, Murphy has no guy.

What do you suppose the Cubs would have to give in return for taking on that entire contract?

I dont recall any trade like that ever happening. I assume you mean, here is a great prospect package but you have to take JHey with it.

If they trade him, they will pay at least half.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermos on 63rd
rogers park bryan wrote:
MartyD47 wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Mike Murphy said over the weekend his Cubs guy is saying trading Heyward is Theo's number one priority for the off season.

What do you suppose the Cubs would have to give in return for taking on that entire contract?

I dont recall any trade like that ever happening. I assume you mean, here is a great prospect package but you have to take JHey with it.

Heyward's broken. It's going to take $100M+ for a team to even think about taking a chance on him.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:56 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
MartyD47 wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

I don't think it's so much who they would have to give along with Heyward, but more about who they would have to take back. There are plenty of other bad contracts out there. Frankly, Samardzija/Melancon for Heyward isn't that outlandish. At least I think that's the bones of a reasonable deal. And both teams would have to believe that the guy(s) they get will do better than they have been.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:59 pm 

MartyD47 wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
MartyD47 wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Heyward's broken. It's going to take $100M+ for a team to even think about taking a chance on him.

I guess I misunderstood. I thought you were suggesting they'd give up a good player to package with Heyward.

I agree. Not sure of the exact numbers, but Im guessing they'd have to pay half.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Heyward for Samardzija and Melancon wouldn't be far from a straight up deal. It addresses big needs for each team, and all players involved might be served well to have a fresh start.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:07 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
MartyD47 wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

I don't think it's so much who they would have to give along with Heyward, but more about who they would have to take back. There are plenty of other bad contracts out there. Frankly, Samardzija/Melancon for Heyward isn't that outlandish. At least I think that's the bones of a reasonable deal. And both teams would have to believe that the guy(s) they get will do better than they have been.

As frustrating as Heyward is, the defense does bring a little bit of value to the Cubs. Wrigley is a tough RF, too.

Usually in these situations, the guy is a big hitter and if his bat goes, he's pretty much worthless.

He also had an OBP of .326. Not good, but up from last year.

For reference, his opb was higher than Adam Jones, Melky Cabrera, Hanley Ramirez, Evan Longoria, Mike Moustakas

Those guys make it up with power but they make more outs than Heyward.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:33 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
From Heyman:

"They haven’t ruled out trading one or more from their fantastic young positional core. Some suggest Kyle Schwarber would be better off in the AL, where he could DH at least some of the time, but Hoyer said they still believe he can play the outfield, and that he will improve with another year from his surgery, and once his brace is off. “I think he’ll be fine. A lot people forget, he had major surgery,” Hoyer pointed out."

:lol:

I really hope they are trying to talk up his trade value.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
I think that if a mix of Almora/Happ/Jay can produce enough offense in CF, they can live with Heyward in RF and let him bat 7th most of the time.

I'm in the camp which thinks trading Russell for a legitimate #2 starter is the best ROI. He's the one they're not going to be able to resign when everybody's contracts come up. He has massive value to a bunch of AL teams. And then they are also in play for Machado next winter if they don't land Harper, with Bryant moving to LF unless Baez is out.

If they can upgrade the pitching, I'm ok with Baez at SS and a mix of Happ/LaStella at 2B and Happ/Zobrist in LF. The only risk is that Zobrist would be the backup SS if Baez got hurt, and their only AAA SS is Chesny Young who is very fringy. So they'd have to get a SS/2B type back when they trade Schwarber.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Lucio's
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
I think that if a mix of Almora/Happ/Jay can produce enough offense in CF, they can live with Heyward in RF and let him bat 7th most of the time.

I'm in the camp which thinks trading Russell for a legitimate #2 starter is the best ROI. He's the one they're not going to be able to resign when everybody's contracts come up. He has massive value to a bunch of AL teams. And then they are also in play for Machado next winter if they don't land Harper, with Bryant moving to LF unless Baez is out.

If they can upgrade the pitching, I'm ok with Baez at SS and a mix of Happ/LaStella at 2B and Happ/Zobrist in LF. The only risk is that Zobrist would be the backup SS if Baez got hurt, and their only AAA SS is Chesny Young who is very fringy. So they'd have to get a SS/2B type back when they trade Schwarber.

Happ/LaStella scares me defensively at 2B. Both are below average. Would like to see them stick with Russell/Baez to get that superior defense helping the pitching along with Heyward in right (since his contract is immovable). That leaves Happ and Schwarber as trade bait and I think they prefer to deal Happ which is risky given Schwarber's sub par defense. All depends on the offers they get obviously and they may keep all their young guys and just sign free agents to solidify the pitching staff.

As I've said in this thread, the closer decision is the most important one. Without a lock down closer they go nowhere even if they do make the post season.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:50 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
'77Cubs wrote:
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:

Happ/LaStella scares me defensively at 2B. Both are below average. Would like to see them stick with Russell/Baez to get that superior defense helping the pitching along with Heyward in right (since his contract is immovable). That leaves Happ and Schwarber as trade bait and I think they prefer to deal Happ which is risky given Schwarber's sub par defense. All depends on the offers they get obviously and they may keep all their young guys and just sign free agents to solidify the pitching staff.

As I've said in this thread, the closer decision is the most important one. Without a lock down closer they go nowhere even if they do make the post season.

I agree with everything here. Maybe the best solution is just to resign Davis especially since there is little confidence that Edwards or Wilson can do the job.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:04 pm 

Cubs vs Yanks for Cobb??

Bleacher Nation‏ @BleacherNation
41m41 minutes ago

Cubs in a “Showdown” with the Yankees for Alex Cobb? http://www.bleachernation.com/2017/11/1 ... alex-cobb/

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:58 pm 

Better not be Dracula, a.k.a. Sosa

crawly's cub kingdom‏ @crawlyscubs
12m12 minutes ago

BREAKING- In the next 24-48 hours the #Cubs will be welcoming a legend back into the organization!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Gracey!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:02 pm 

Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
Gracey!!!!

Good guess.

They do have a 1st base coach opening too.

I say Dawson since Jeter axed him.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:53 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
'77Cubs wrote:
Better not be Dracula, a.k.a. Sosa

crawly's cub kingdom‏ @crawlyscubs
12m12 minutes ago

BREAKING- In the next 24-48 hours the #Cubs will be welcoming a legend back into the organization!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:55 am 

pizza_Place: John's
Andre Dawson

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:58 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Caller Bob wrote:
Andre Dawson

Ed Belfour

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:48 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
badrogue17 wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Andre Dawson

Ed Belfour
Including myself.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:31 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ba ... story.html

Hendricks got hitched, Jake got the finest woman but Borzelo got some big ass tits.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:01 pm 

what is with these young chumps who just have to get married while in their 20s?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:38 pm 
100000 CLUB

Montero was there and tried blame the slow bartending service on Arietta.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:27 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
what is with these young chumps who just have to get married while in their 20s?

:lol: I see you post this pretty often, you must really miss getting some strange.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:41 am 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Wrigley being gutted.

I wonder if they can get rid of the pillars that give you an obstructed view. Make it like a modern stadium where you have no pillars at all.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:35 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
No, they can't get rid of them.

They are building the special "club" levels down each baseline. EXPENSIVE!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:36 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I still wonder how much money they could have saved by just demolishing it and building a replica as close to the original as they could.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:58 am 

Ship of Theseus. Just like Soldier Field.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:59 am 

pittmike wrote:
I still wonder how much money they could have saved by just demolishing it and building a replica as close to the original as they could.

I wanted that, I think the historical society shot that down real quick.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:35 am 
100000 CLUB

Knocking down support pillars in a building that is over 100 years old sounds like a terrific idea.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:33 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Knocking down support pillars in a building that is over 100 years old sounds like a terrific idea.

There is essentially no part of Wrigley that is 100 years old.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:35 am 
100000 CLUB

ArchitectMU.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1010 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 34  Next