It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1010 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 34  Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
So the Sawx want Scwarber for Jackie Bradley Jr? idk if i'm down with that.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:41 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Wow..I'd make trade immediately..if true.

JBJ is a better baseball player than Kyle Schwarber.

Id try to get a A ball arm but I'd be cool with a str8up trade. I don't think Epstein wiuld pull trigger though.

Last edited by 312player on Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:41 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Keyser Soze was ready to trade Abreu for JBJ.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:12 pm 

Keep Schwarber.

Sign Davis and another closer type.

Morrow fills one of 3 bullpen roles.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:50 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Davis is gone. Probably Nats but now maybe Dodgers?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:05 pm 

If you trade Schwarber it better be for pitching, young controllable pitching. Not Bradley Jr

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:33 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
USA Today guy Bob Nightengale was on MLB TV today and said the Red Sox are desperate to get Schwarber. :shock:

Interesting why they think so highly of him. Itll be interesting to see what they offer.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:38 am 

pizza_Place: Lucio's
HawaiiYou wrote:
USA Today guy Bob Nightengale was on MLB TV today and said the Red Sox are desperate to get Schwarber. :shock:

Interesting why they think so highly of him. Itll be interesting to see what they offer.

That's Theo's boy - would take an overwhelming offer.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:35 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
They must think that he can be the next Ortiz in that ballpark, and can teach him to play a passable 1B after a while.

I don't think they have the right pieces for the Cubs. They'd have to get a third team (Marlins?) involved.

And given that Theo traded Nomar, there is a price at which he would let go.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:47 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
RFDC wrote:
If you trade Schwarber it better be for pitching, young controllable pitching. Not Bradley Jr

I dont think Schwarber gets you back all that much, probably have to package up Baez or Happ with him. We need our depth on the roster..just dump Schwarber alone for what you can get. He's a liability in the field and might hit .220 this year . one more knee injuey and his value plummets.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:29 am 

312player wrote:
RFDC wrote:

I dont think Schwarber gets you back all that much, probably have to package up Baez or Happ with him. We need our depth on the roster..just dump Schwarber alone for what you can get. He's a liability in the field and might hit .220 this year . one more knee injuey and his value plummets.

By himself he is not going to get much right now. But IMO you either trade him as part of a package for young controllable pitching or you keep him and roll the dice that he is going to be better next year. I dont think it is a wise move to just dump him for whatever you can get.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:50 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
RFDC wrote:
312player wrote:
RFDC wrote:

By himself he is not going to get much right now. But IMO you either trade him as part of a package for young controllable pitching or you keep him and roll the dice that he is going to be better next year. I dont think it is a wise move to just dump him for whatever you can get.

No way you dump him. The guy had a down year with some great stretches. We can all see the potential. I don't want Jackie Bradley Jr for him either.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:20 am 

DAC wrote:
RFDC wrote:
312player wrote:
RFDC wrote:

No way you dump him. The guy had a down year with some great stretches. We can all see the potential. I don't want Jackie Bradley Jr for him either.

What makes you think that was a down year for Schwarber.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:29 am 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
good dolphin wrote:

he performed worse in 2017 than his previous experience in 2015? seems kinda down.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:13 am 

man of few opinions wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

he performed worse in 2017 than his previous experience in 2015? seems kinda down.

not that much worse when you consider he was fading in 2015 after appropriate scouting. A nice playoff run washed him clean.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:27 am 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
good dolphin wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

not that much worse when you consider he was fading in 2015 after appropriate scouting. A nice playoff run washed him clean.

He put up very good numbers in the second half last season. It's just that his first half was other-worldly bad.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:54 am 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

He put up very good numbers in the second half last season. It's just that his first half was other-worldly bad.

He was only used in favorable matchups post AAA.

I think he would be a fine platoon DH, especially in a place like Boston or NYY. I don't think he is an every day OF in the NL but the Cubs don't seem to recognize that yet

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:56 am 

'77Cubs wrote:
RFDC wrote:
So I am assuming they are signing him to be the closer?

Per Gordo, he might be their closer:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/cub ... on-morrow/

Gordon Wittenmyer

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. – The Cubs wasted no time getting down to business at the Winter Meetings after losing out on Japanese star free agent Shohei Ohtani.

Looking for starting pitching and relief, the Cubs landed their top bullpen target Sunday, agreeing to a two-year deal with Brandon Morrow, according to multiple reports.

He’s expected to replace Wade Davis as the closer.

The Cubs have looked at Morrow for more than a year as their possible future closer as he worked back from shoulder surgery with the Padres – before the right-hander’s price soared when he had a breakout season for the Dodgers as a setup man after signing a minor-league deal in January.

Morrow pitches in the World Series against the Astros.

The former fifth overall draft pick by Seattle had a 2.06 ERA in 45 games with 10.3 strikeouts per nine innings (1.9 walks per nine).

He held the Cubs to just one hit and a walk in four appearances during the National League Championship Series, then became the second player in history to pitch all seven games of a World Series.

The Cubs signed starter Tyler Chatwood to a three-year deal last week and continue to look for another starter, with free agent Alex Cobb a primary target.

What could possibly go wrong in handing the closer role to someone with little positive experience in the role? Every out is the same...except to the guys throwing the ball.

His arm should be just fine after he got the Chapman treatment in this year's playoffs.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:58 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
If the Red Sox are thirsty for Schwarber he should bring back a nice piece in return. Is this a complicated concept?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:59 am 

good dolphin wrote:
'77Cubs wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Gordon Wittenmyer

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. – The Cubs wasted no time getting down to business at the Winter Meetings after losing out on Japanese star free agent Shohei Ohtani.

Looking for starting pitching and relief, the Cubs landed their top bullpen target Sunday, agreeing to a two-year deal with Brandon Morrow, according to multiple reports.

The Cubs have looked at Morrow for more than a year as their possible future closer as he worked back from shoulder surgery with the Padres – before the right-hander’s price soared when he had a breakout season for the Dodgers as a setup man after signing a minor-league deal in January.

The former fifth overall draft pick by Seattle had a 2.06 ERA in 45 games with 10.3 strikeouts per nine innings (1.9 walks per nine).

He held the Cubs to just one hit and a walk in four appearances during the National League Championship Series, then became the second player in history to pitch all seven games of a World Series.

The Cubs signed starter Tyler Chatwood to a three-year deal last week and continue to look for another starter, with free agent Alex Cobb a primary target.

What could possibly go wrong in handing the closer role to someone with little positive experience in the role? Every out is the same...except to the guys throwing the ball.

His arm should be just fine after he got the Chapman treatment in this year's playoffs.

There it is. Been waiting for it. What took you so long?

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:03 pm 

Jbi11s wrote:
If the Red Sox are thirsty for Schwarber he should bring back a nice piece in return. Is this a complicated concept?

Not complicated but is the piece nice enough? The only way I trade him is if he brings back a young, starting pitcher and I doubt anyone will give up what I'd want for him. It would be better just to sign Cobb and hopefully let Schwarber improve his value and then trade him later.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
good dolphin wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I think he would be a fine platoon DH, especially in a place like Boston or NYY. I don't think he is an every day OF in the NL but the Cubs don't seem to recognize that yet

Still hit 17 HR's in 200 PA.

You should email Theo your thoughts. I'm sure he's been looking for someone to provide your in depth analysis that he has been lacking all these years.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
DAC wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

Not complicated but is the piece nice enough? The only way I trade him is if he brings back a young, starting pitcher and I doubt anyone will give up what I'd want for him. It would be better just to sign Cobb and hopefully let Schwarber improve his value and then trade him later.

I just don't think he fits on this team unless the Cubs are playing inter league games. Not trading him at peak value last offseason was a mistake. If even one team with a deep farm system seems desperate to land him at the winter mtgs I would pull the trigger immediately.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Lucio's
Coomer is back for 3 years.

Whatever. If there was a WAR for color guys, he'd be under league average IMO but at least he isn't horrible.

Radio analyst Ron Coomer inks 3-year extension with Cubs http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ba ... story.html

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
'77Cubs wrote:

Whatever. If there was a WAR for color guys, he'd be under league average IMO but at least he isn't horrible.

Radio analyst Ron Coomer inks 3-year extension with Cubs http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ba ... story.html

Over / under on whether myocardial infarction takes him before the 3 years is up

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:24 pm 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Still hit 17 HR's in 200 PA.

You should email Theo your thoughts. I'm sure he's been looking for someone to provide your in depth analysis that he has been lacking all these years.

The league is full of Chris Carters.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:26 pm 

RFDC wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
'77Cubs wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Gordon Wittenmyer

There it is. Been waiting for it. What took you so long?

Another guy addressing the person rather than the thought.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:30 pm 

Jbi11s wrote:
DAC wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

I just don't think he fits on this team unless the Cubs are playing inter league games. Not trading him at peak value last offseason was a mistake. If even one team with a deep farm system seems desperate to land him at the winter mtgs I would pull the trigger immediately.

True about not trading him last winter and I agree that he doesn't fit the team. If the deal was right, I'd have no problem trading him but I doubt it will be good enough. Overall, I don't like trading players when they are are at a low point.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:38 pm 

It gets lower.

His value craters if he proves himself to be a platoon player without a defensive position with one less year of control in 2018.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
'77Cubs wrote:

Looking forward to more My Pillow commercials.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1010 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 34  Next