It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1010 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 34  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:22 am 

pizza_Place: It's gone
'77Cubs wrote:
DAC wrote:
timmyholton wrote:
Cubs sign Kyle Ryan

Oh joy?

Who the hell is he?

Lefty reclamation project/depth signing:

http://www.bleachernation.com/2017/12/2 ... -reliever/

This guy isn't another Brett Anderson is he?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:05 am 

pizza_Place: Lucio's
Well, with Davis getting 52M guaranteed (the highest AAV ever for a closer plus a vesting option for year 4 at 66M), what should the Cubs do? Stick with Morrow? Sign another closer? Trade? Wait until the deadline?

They just don't want to commit long term to any closer so it would surprise me if they paid big bucks to somebody like Holland so maybe they unload Ian Happ for Colome?? To me Happ is the most expendable given his sub par defense but is a great fit for an AL team...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:34 pm 

'77Cubs wrote:
DAC wrote:
timmyholton wrote:
Cubs sign Kyle Ryan

Oh joy?

Who the hell is he?

Shouldn't a reclamation project have some past success to claim?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:36 pm 

One Post wrote:
'77Cubs wrote:
DAC wrote:
timmyholton wrote:
Cubs sign Kyle Ryan

Oh joy?

Who the hell is he?

Shouldn't a reclamation project have some past success to claim?

Quote:
Ryan actually first reached the big leagues with the Tigers in 2014, getting solid results between the rotation and the bullpen for the next three seasons, posting a 3.07 ERA in 2016 over 55.2 relief innings. Dude was a groundballing, contact-managing, no-walking kinda reliever. Not sexy, but very useful.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:53 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
That is where you want to set the bar of success, huh? Seems to me that after winning the World Series you would expect more out of your GM.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:06 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
That is where you want to set the bar of success, huh? Seems to me that after winning the World Series you would expect more out of your GM.

:roll:

Happy New Year Frank

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:08 pm 
100000 CLUB

Quote:
Ryan actually first reached the big leagues with the Tigers in 2014, getting solid results between the rotation and the bullpen for the next three seasons, posting a 3.07 ERA in 2016 over 55.2 relief innings. Dude was a groundballing, contact-managing, no-walking kinda reliever. Not sexy, but very useful.
You post this like its some sort of greatness, and then roll your eyes at me. Ok.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:11 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Quote:
You post this like its some sort of greatness, and then roll your eyes at me. Ok.

Yeah because that it exactly what I did, I posted it as a statement of greatness. I made no statement about greatness. The guy found some success in the big leagues. Maybe he will again. Maybe he wont

It is a reclamation project. He had a useful year in the pen. Teams are always looking for cheap bullpen help. Every team in the league is going to make signings like this with the hope that they find a diamond in the rough.

I rolled my eyes at you, Mr Cubbie, always finding something to rub your chubby about in regard to the Cubs.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:51 pm 

Can we get a real lead off hitter first?

I’ve been replaying the 2016 playoffs and it’s amazing how much of an impact Fowler had. Smotlz keeps bragging about him. There was one stat where he said the cubs scored like 90 % of the time when Fowler got on base.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:05 pm 
100000 CLUB

RFDC wrote:
Yeah because that it exactly what I did, I posted it as a statement of greatness. I made no statement about greatness. The guy found some success in the big leagues. Maybe he will again. Maybe he wont

It is a reclamation project. He had a useful year in the pen. Teams are always looking for cheap bullpen help. Every team in the league is going to make signings like this with the hope that they find a diamond in the rough.
Useful is not successful. Useful is also way back in his rearviewmirror as he spent last year struggling to do anything well in the minors. It's not a reclamation project, its a lottery ticket at best.

Roll your eyes at that for all I care.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
What a stupid argument. Reclamation project vs lottery ticket. Christ.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:15 pm 

IMU wrote:

#thatsfrank

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:19 pm 
100000 CLUB

So so angry. Let it all out before the end of the year, Cubs fans. I am here for you.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:04 pm 

IMU wrote:

I don't think he's either.

Unless your lotto ticket is a scratch off, he's a guy who doesn't strike anyone out and had his best year based off of a fluky prevention of HRs.

Not a reclamation project because never had the pedigree or performance to reclaim.

I'd be surprised if he threw one pitch for the Cubs in 2018. Moreso, if he's logging substantial innings out of the pen, that's a sign of much bigger problems.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
One Post and Frank teaming up to do some work in this thread

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Rocky's of Westchester
Frank Coztansa wrote:
So so angry. Let it all out before the end of the year, Cubs fans. I am here for you.

Seems like the Cubs section is here for your personal anger & feelings of inadequacy. Have fun with that rebuild & looking forward to more of your overcompensating!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:49 pm 

And Brandon Morrow was an absolute nobody for the first 8+ seasons of his career. There are countless nobodies that become great, dependable bullpen arms. There are countless nobodies that remain nobodies. There is nothing to discuss about Kyle Ryan in December 2017 going into January 2018.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:52 pm 
100000 CLUB

IMU wrote:
And Brandon Morrow was an absolute nobody for the first 8+ seasons of his career.
I'm reasonably sure that he was a winning pitcher as a starter for the Blue Jays. Not an all star, but not a 'nobody' either.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:29 pm 

Murph this morning 12/30 :

-Moves they've made so far even with Yu replacing Arietta does not make them better but status quo from last year.

-Theo hoping on young prospects too much to come thru.

-What players are going to go backwards this year? Has Theo considered that?

-Almora + prosects for Yelich?

-Murph made a swipe at his wife :?

-Caller1 - Cubs need to get to the playoffs and who's playing hot at the time can win it all. Doesn't think Almora is the answer as leadoff. Murph replies he's hard to peg what kind of player he is. Guest Bruce Miles from the Daily Herald says Cubs like Almora's baseball sense. Murph : he's not the fielder we thought he would be, not the best defensive CF but he doesn't make many mistakes.

-Murph : Schawrber #6 in the lineup every day. He will flourish there. #8 Hayward all season. #7 you can play around R/L hitter. Guest agrees, says he's a pure hitter.

-Caller2 from Daytona Beach Florida - are we getting a backup catcher? Bruce Miles says Cubs wouldn't mind resigning Alex Avila. He became a leader in the clubhouse also if the price is right. Unless they get the Marlins catcher with a Yelich deal.

-Murph : If Joe wants to mess up w/ the leadoff, put Rizzo over Schwarber as #1. He has a better OBP.

-Murph poll : Theo plans for how many more championships before he leaves in 2024? 42% of the fans say 2 more titles. Bruce Levine says 2 is reasonable.

-Fred - great talking baseball when it's zero degrees out.

Murph will continue with Cubs talk after the break.

added - Goofiest quote of the year : Mike Montgomery who has been making noise and bitching/complaining about being a starter : "I dont want to be in a situation where I come into spring training where I deserve a spot but it's not there because of other contracts that they've brought in".

Murph : So the Cubs shouldn't bring in 5 Clayton Kershaw's. Murph is adamant they will be trading him. He's becoming another Miggy.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:22 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
The Cubs were never going to "win" this offseason. Their improvement next year was always going to have to come from within. No one had a career year last year and it easy to see every, young positional player improve next season. Would it shock anyone to see the Cubs infield to have 120 HRs next season? How about Schwarber hitting 40 bombs or Contreras hitting 25+? I expect Wilson to be better next year and hope that Edwards can be a trusted, high-leverage reliever again.

In the rest of this offseason they'll get another bullpen arm and hopefully sign Darvish, Arrieta, or Cobb when their prices become reasonable. So far, this offseason has been just about what I expected.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Kyle Ryan is going to love Des Moines. He's the guy that is stashed away there for the day the Cubs need emergency bullpen help after an 18-inning game, and they bring him up for three days and then outright him to clear the 40-man spot again.

If he has a very good season in Iowa, he gets rewarded with the Taylor Davis Organizational Filler September Call-Up (TM).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:51 pm 

IMU wrote:
And Brandon Morrow was an absolute nobody for the first 8+ seasons of his career. There are countless nobodies that become great, dependable bullpen arms. There are countless nobodies that remain nobodies. There is nothing to discuss about Kyle Ryan in December 2017 going into January 2018.

Morrow was the 5th overall pick.

Morrow punched out 200+ guys one year.

Morrow had a 3+ WAR season as a starter.

Far from a nobody

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:11 pm 

One Post wrote:
IMU wrote:

Morrow was the 5th overall pick.

Morrow punched out 200+ guys one year.

Morrow had a 3+ WAR season as a starter.

Far from a nobody

Career 4.50 ERA starters are nobodies. He had had one good year surrounded by 7 below average years. He was essentially a worse Esteban Loiaza.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:39 pm 

If Morrow is what he was last year I'll be happy. But did he have a career year like most of the 2017 Dodgers? We'll see.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:55 am 
100000 CLUB

The point, IMU, is that Morrow had at least some success and was a viable Major League arm. Kyle Ryan is an absolute nobody, but feel free to hang your hat on this key signing if you want.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:42 am 

ya i dont think Kyle Ryan is anything to hang your hat on. If you even get to see him in the big leagues and he gets you one out, that's more than what I'm expecting out of him next season.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Kyle Ryan is going to love Des Moines.

He's there in case of an 18-inning game at Wrigley where they can call him up the next day for 3-4 days to have an extra arm in the bullpen, and then outright his ass right back to Iowa.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:32 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
The point, IMU, is that Morrow had at least some success and was a viable Major League arm. Kyle Ryan is an absolute nobody, but feel free to hang your hat on this key signing if you want.

I don't seem to be the one hanging my hat on the signing. I did not even believe it was worth mentioning on the board. But here you are.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:33 pm 

No one said anything about Ryan being anyone to hang your hat on. But feel free to continue exaggerating Mr Cubby Chubby

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:36 pm 
100000 CLUB

:roll:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1010 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 34  Next