It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1010 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 34  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:45 pm 

good dolphin wrote:

Another guy addressing the person rather than the thought.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:47 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
RFDC wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
'77Cubs wrote:
RFDC wrote:
So I am assuming they are signing him to be the closer?

Per Gordo, he might be their closer:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/cub ... on-morrow/

Gordon Wittenmyer

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. – The Cubs wasted no time getting down to business at the Winter Meetings after losing out on Japanese star free agent Shohei Ohtani.

Looking for starting pitching and relief, the Cubs landed their top bullpen target Sunday, agreeing to a two-year deal with Brandon Morrow, according to multiple reports.

He’s expected to replace Wade Davis as the closer.

The Cubs have looked at Morrow for more than a year as their possible future closer as he worked back from shoulder surgery with the Padres – before the right-hander’s price soared when he had a breakout season for the Dodgers as a setup man after signing a minor-league deal in January.

Morrow pitches in the World Series against the Astros.

The former fifth overall draft pick by Seattle had a 2.06 ERA in 45 games with 10.3 strikeouts per nine innings (1.9 walks per nine).

He held the Cubs to just one hit and a walk in four appearances during the National League Championship Series, then became the second player in history to pitch all seven games of a World Series.

The Cubs signed starter Tyler Chatwood to a three-year deal last week and continue to look for another starter, with free agent Alex Cobb a primary target.

What could possibly go wrong in handing the closer role to someone with little positive experience in the role? Every out is the same...except to the guys throwing the ball.

His arm should be just fine after he got the Chapman treatment in this year's playoffs.

There it is. Been waiting for it. What took you so long?

He is not like clockwork. :wink:

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:58 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Juiced wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Another guy addressing the person rather than the thought.

Just ignore the troll. I only see his posts when they are quoted or if I am not logged in.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:26 pm 

look at all the Cubbie fans angry at valid and supportable opinions that are not 100% Cubbie supportive.

I apologize. There are no questions about whether Brandon Morrow can close or that Kyle Schwarber can be a full time player. Woo, Woo!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:48 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
look at all the Cubbie fans angry at valid and supportable opinions that are not 100% Cubbie supportive.

I apologize. There are no questions about whether Brandon Morrow can close or that Kyle Schwarber can be a full time player. Woo, Woo!

You have it all wrong. Kyle is a full time player according to the Cubs. It’s the other team’s manager that decides he isn’t by starting a lefty.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:01 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Sox fans uniting in Cub threads!

God bless us all !

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:17 pm 

good dolphin wrote:

My issue is not one of anger, but you know that.

No matter what they Cubs do or don't do your response is going to be the same. So fill in the blank with whoever they sign or trade for. Again, I am just surprised it took you so long to post it.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:24 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
HawaiiYou wrote:
He had a great year and playoffs until the manager over used him. Hope he brings the same nasty stuff to the Cubs.
Good thing the Cubs manager never overuses a relief pitcher.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:01 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
man of few opinions wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
What makes you think that was a down year for Schwarber.

he performed worse in 2017 than his previous experience in 2015? seems kinda down.

not that much worse when you consider he was fading in 2015 after appropriate scouting. A nice playoff run washed him clean.

He's played 3 halves of a baseball season. 2 of them he was a 250, 330 obp, big hr guy
1 of then he was 220, 300 obp, big hr guy

2 > 1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:04 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
'77Cubs wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Gordon Wittenmyer

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. – The Cubs wasted no time getting down to business at the Winter Meetings after losing out on Japanese star free agent Shohei Ohtani.

Looking for starting pitching and relief, the Cubs landed their top bullpen target Sunday, agreeing to a two-year deal with Brandon Morrow, according to multiple reports.

The Cubs have looked at Morrow for more than a year as their possible future closer as he worked back from shoulder surgery with the Padres – before the right-hander’s price soared when he had a breakout season for the Dodgers as a setup man after signing a minor-league deal in January.

The former fifth overall draft pick by Seattle had a 2.06 ERA in 45 games with 10.3 strikeouts per nine innings (1.9 walks per nine).

He held the Cubs to just one hit and a walk in four appearances during the National League Championship Series, then became the second player in history to pitch all seven games of a World Series.

The Cubs signed starter Tyler Chatwood to a three-year deal last week and continue to look for another starter, with free agent Alex Cobb a primary target.

What could possibly go wrong in handing the closer role to someone with little positive experience in the role? Every out is the same...except to the guys throwing the ball.

His arm should be just fine after he got the Chapman treatment in this year's playoffs.

Still sticking with the old tyme bullpen thoughts huh?

Bullpen should be looked at like a starting staff. You need 3 great arms and two good ones. Best guy in highest leverage spot.

The concern on over use is legit though. I agree.

I've always been a Morrow guy though. Little biased.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:05 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:
He had a great year and playoffs until the manager over used him. Hope he brings the same nasty stuff to the Cubs.

That ended up working out.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:07 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Frank Coztansa wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

Serious question- How many times has Madden overused one that he didn't care about blowing out? I can't remember ones besides Davis and Chapman.

Isn't relief pitcher overuse a function of poor starting pitchers and a lack of depth of quality bullpen arms?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:07 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
man of few opinions wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
What makes you think that was a down year for Schwarber.

he performed worse in 2017 than his previous experience in 2015? seems kinda down.

not that much worse when you consider he was fading in 2015 after appropriate scouting. A nice playoff run washed him clean.

He's played 3 halves of a baseball season. 2 of them he was a 250, 330 obp, big hr guy
1 of then he was 220, 300 obp, big hr guy

2 > 1

Is that how it works now, just divide it into halves?

I already address last year's post AAA "resurgence".

Split that 2015 half into halves. He faded, as many rookies do after their "first run through the league".

Anyway, he was much better than a .250, .330, BIG HR guy in the second half of 2017, if you want to hang your hat on that.

If you really want to divide his production into three halves, you have an incredibly mercurial group of stats.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
I'm not thrilled about the Morrow signing if it's the only one. They already have a fragile set-up guy in Edwards, don't need their closer to have a history of health problems.

I want Shaw or Kintzler or a trade for Colome as well.

And I'm perfectly fine with a Schwarber trade as long as the Red Sox find a third partner who can send a major league starting player to the Cubs. Kiermaier is making more than the Rays want to pay him, get him and a good RedSox pitching prospect. Or get one of the Marlins' higher-salaried guys not named Starlin Castro.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:17 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
'77Cubs wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Gordon Wittenmyer

Bullpen should be looked at like a starting staff. You need 3 great arms and two good ones. Best guy in highest leverage spot.

Oh, those progressive Cubbies and their use of Davis almost exclusively as a 1 inning, ninth inning pitcher.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:46 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
'77Cubs wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Gordon Wittenmyer

Oh, those progressive Cubbies and their use of Davis almost exclusively as a 1 inning, ninth inning pitcher.

I didn't say the Cubs were on board. They haven't been yet. They should.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Lucio's
Mark Gonzales‏ @MDGonzales
8m8 minutes ago

Cubs also agree to terms on 2-year deal with LHP Drew Smyly. Smyly had TJ surgery in summer, so 2019 in focus.

Ken Rosenthal‏Verified account @Ken_Rosenthal
6m6 minutes ago

Smyly deal with #Cubs is two years, $10M plus the potential to earn more than $7M in performance bonuses, source tells The Athletic. Pitched with #Rays for Maddon and Hickey.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:13 pm 

'77Cubs wrote:
8m8 minutes ago

Cubs also agree to terms on 2-year deal with LHP Drew Smyly. Smyly had TJ surgery in summer, so 2019 in focus.

6m6 minutes ago

Smyly deal with #Cubs is two years, $10M plus the potential to earn more than $7M in performance bonuses, source tells The Athletic. Pitched with #Rays for Maddon and Hickey.

They just gonna skip 2018 as far as trying?

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Nothing wrong with that deal. They have to put him on the 40 man now and they can put him on the 60 day DL in the spring and see what happens later on. Its a 10 mil lottery ticket.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:34 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Schwarber at the winter meetings....hmmmm......why?? Unless he has been told he's going to be dealt?

https://www.mlb.com/cubs/news/cubs-kyle ... -263382558

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:36 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
'77Cubs wrote:
8m8 minutes ago

6m6 minutes ago

Should the cubs just change their jerseys and add a Tampa Bay Devil Rays patch on the shoulder?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Lucio's
Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
Nothing wrong with that deal. They have to put him on the 40 man now and they can put him on the 60 day DL in the spring and see what happens later on. Its a 10 mil lottery ticket.

Nice to be able to throw 10M around...

:D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:40 pm 

So, they are paying him one year to rehab and then pitch in year 2.

He does great in year 2 and then what....he gives them a hometown discount?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:41 pm 

'77Cubs wrote:
Urlacher's missing neck wrote:

Nice to be able to throw 10M around...

:D

Don't forget the 184 million dollar lottery ticket in RF.

That deal makes me sick every time I see the figures.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:50 pm 

Peoria Matt wrote:

Dempster worked out in similar conditions.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:54 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:

Dempster worked out in similar conditions.

Sounds good to me.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:55 pm 

You know what, RPB....after reading my last 2 posts, you were right. I am a miserable Cubs fan.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
But it did not work with Scott Baker.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:41 pm 

IMU wrote:
But it did not work with Scott Baker.

Good pull. I forgot all about that guy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1010 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 34  Next