It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1010 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 34  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:43 pm 

It is pretty apparent that Schwarber is an AL player and I still think he has plenty of value to an AL team. I would really hope that Theo is able to gain perspective on that situation either through internal or external consultations and not follow his infatuations. You can see the guy is trying his best but it just isn't happening. The best situation a GM can be in is to be dangling a player in a bidding war between the Red Sox and Yankees, two teams who would be drooling over LH power. He could be a 50 HR hitter in Yankee stadium. Even further, I don't think they skip a beat by replacing him and might even be a better team.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:48 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
It is pretty apparent that Schwarber is an AL player and I still think he has plenty of value to an AL team. I would really hope that Theo is able to gain perspective on that situation either through internal or external consultations and not follow his infatuations. You can see the guy is trying his best but it just isn't happening. The best situation a GM can be in is to be dangling a player in a bidding war between the Red Sox and Yankees, two teams who would be drooling over LH power. He could be a 50 HR hitter in Yankee stadium. Even further, I don't think they skip a beat by replacing him and might even be a better team.

Agreed. I think Happ might make trading him more likely. And it's not a coincidence that they had the best year in franchise history with Schwarber out for 99% of it.

LH power bats never go out of style. It wont be limited to Yanks and Sox.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
MartyD47 wrote:
That pitching staff is in need of immediate attention. Whatever depth they have in position players will be needed in trade to shore that up.

They have 1, 2, 3 locked up for a while. There are plenty of good FA pitchers available this offseason to fill in the 4, 5 slots.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:
Jeter seems motivated to get Stanton off the books in Miami. Schwarber, Happ, and something might be enough to get that done for them considering the massive contract the Cubs would have to take on.
:lol: If by "something" you mean Kris Bryant, then maybe.

look, I don't think the Marlins take that package either, but Stanton will go for well below market value. There's no real debate about that, Jeter can only hope to get some kind of bidding war going.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:53 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Agreed. I think Happ might make trading him more likely. And it's not a coincidence that they had the best year in franchise history with Schwarber out for 99% of it.

LH power bats never go out of style. It wont be limited to Yanks and Sox.

of course, but they become unreasonable when bidding against each other

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Stanton will be a Cardinal in a deal for Pham and a bunch of other guys.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:57 pm 

Urlacher's missing neck wrote:

:scratch: Cards are going to pay that salary?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:57 pm 

I dont think they can or will take on even part of that contract

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:59 pm 

RFDC wrote:

Cards will make the Marlins eat some of the salary. Marlins don't want that. Especially not for 10 years.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
RFDC wrote:

Classiest contract in baseball.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:01 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Classiest contract in baseball.

After all the press that came out of Cards clubhouse about FA signings not doing it the Cardinal way, I doubt they then bring in another outsider to further ruin the mood.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:02 pm 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Cards will make the Marlins eat some of the salary. Marlins don't want that. Especially not for 10 years.

Even having them take on part of that contract still leaves the Cards with a huge contract. They do not have the resources for that

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:03 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's

Everybody thinks Stanton will be a Giant.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:32 pm 

Need 2 SP, Lead off man, and bullpen help/closer. I would look to deal Schwarber and Happ, neither has a position and both are brutal with the glove. I would look to push Zo into retirement. Offer him a spot on the coaching staff. Look into moving Heyward, offer to eat half the money. Read a rumor of possible interest in Stanton from the Marlins. Talked about Miami liking some of the young guys and possibly Heyward in a salary dump

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Play 81 games in that cavern ?

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:39 pm 

schmitty1121 wrote:
Need 2 SP, Lead off man, and bullpen help/closer. I would look to deal Schwarber and Happ, neither has a position and both are brutal with the glove. I would look to push Zo into retirement. Offer him a spot on the coaching staff. Look into moving Heyward, offer to eat half the money. Read a rumor of possible interest in Stanton from the Marlins. Talked about Miami liking some of the young guys and possibly Heyward in a salary dump

I don't mind Heyward. I hate his contract, but he is fine as a #8 hitter and OF. The problem is that him and Baez can't both be in the lineup striking out all the time. During the season, they can both be there, but come playoff time, one has to sit.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:41 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I have read Giants and also the Phillies.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:43 pm 

RFDC wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I have read Giants and also the Phillies.

He has a full no-trade clause. So, no way he goes to the Phillies.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:26 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

How does this get done? Most of the Giants MLB roster is old and/or shitty and they don't have any notable minor league prospects to speak of.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:38 pm 

One Post wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

How does this get done? Most of the Giants MLB roster is old and/or shitty and they don't have any notable minor league prospects to speak of.

Why a Giants, Giancarlo Stanton marriage makes perfect baseball sense

USA Today’s Bob Nightengale set the baseball rumor mill ablaze this week when he reported that the Giants, Cardinals, Rangers, and Phillies all have interest in an offseason trade for Marlins’ Ruthian slugger Giancarlo Stanton, citing a Marlins’ high-ranking executive. His report indicated that the Giants have “the strongest interest” in a potential trade.
Gary Radnich and I had Bob on our KNBR show (10am-1pm) on Tuesday to discuss his story, and he expanded on his original report, saying that there was a “95% chance that Stanton will be traded this offseason and a 51% chance it will be to the Giants.” Nightengale also indicated that St. Louis is the Giants’ top competition for Stanton.

The Giants are badly in need of a big bopper in the lineup, a middle of the order presence to protect Buster Posey, and they are desperate to make another World Series run with their current cast of future Hall of Famers in Posey, Bruce Bochy, Brian Sabean, and Madison Bumgarner and a roster filled with players and coaches with postseason experience.

The Giants’ franchise is synonymous with power hitting. “When the Giants come to town, it’s bye bye baby!” That’s the way it used to be. The club’s history in San Francisco is filled with some of baseball’s most entertaining power hitters beginning with the greatest living ball player Willie Mays.

It’s an impressive list that includes Willie McCovey, Orlando Cepeda, Bobby Bonds, Jack Clark, Chili Davis, Jeffrey Leonard, Will Clark, Kevin Mitchell, Matt Williams, Jeff Kent, and the *career and single season home run king, Barry Bonds.

In 2017, while the rest of baseball is enjoying a power renaissance, the Giants and their fans have endured a power outage. They have hit the fewest home runs in baseball. They entered this week’s series trailing the lowly Padres in home runs by a whopping 25, and Brandon Belt leads the club with only 18.

For complete Giants coverage follow us on Flipboard.
While the Giants have an acute need for power, they don’t have a robust farm system or many trade-able pieces on their current major league roster that they can use in potential trades. The resource the Giants have in abundance is you, the fan. The fans in the Bay Area have gone through the turnstiles at AT&T Park at a rate of over 3 million per season, EVERY season since the park opened in 2000.

The Giants sold out 530 consecutive games due to the passion of their fans. The constant presence of those fans has made the Giants a huge box office success. The ownership group has paid off the debt service on the park ahead of schedule, and Forbes Magazine has reported that they generate north of $450 million annually in total revenue, with an annual profit margin of approximately $150 million. Any way you slice it, the Giants, due to their army of loyal fans, are cash rich.

The Marlins are cash poor and in desperate need of a financial bailout. They may be baseball’s most volatile franchise, having won two World Series titles (1997, 2003) in their 25-year history. While they have enjoyed two titles, if they opt to blow up their roster again this offseason, it will be their fourth fire sale.

The Marlins’ story is a familiar one. They are no different than the couple who gets buried in a mountain of credit card debt. The franchise was recently sold by Jeffrey Loria to a group led by Bruce Sherman and Derek Jeter for $1.2 billion. Sherman is a New Yorker who founded Private Capital Management in 1985 and sold it in 2001 for $1.4 billion, and he will become the controlling owner of the team.

At this point, you have to ask the question, why would the Marlins’ new ownership want to trade a megastar like the 27-year-old Stanton, who is hitting .402 with 17 home runs with a .485 on base percentage over his last 23 games? Why pawn your best player, a future Hall of Famer, your best drawing card, and the face of your franchise in the prime of his career? The answer is that the new ownership group wants to hit the re-set button and start fresh.

With Stanton, a 4-time All-star currently in his 8th season with the Marlins, they average a National League worst 20,904 fans per game, haven’t drawn over two million in attendance since 2012, and have MLB’s least lucrative local TV contract, generating only $20 million annually.

Sherman and Jeter inherit a franchise that currently carries a debt of $500 million and is due to lose somewhere between $60-90 million more in 2017. The Marlins have $488 million in future commitments, with $406.5 million due to be paid to four players: Stanton (owed $295M), Dee Gordon (owed $38M) Christian Yelich (owed $45M), and Martin Prado (owed $28.5M).

Stanton’s contract, which goes through 2028, is so monstrous that he recently passed through waivers unclaimed. Miami had an opening day payroll of $116 million in 2017 and would like to cut that down by roughly $20 million by 2018.

There have been multiple reports that indicate the plan is to pare down the payroll dramatically and attempt to rebuild around a star like Manny Machado who may be a better gate attraction in South Florida.

There are many questions still left to be answered. Among them is how much of the Marlins’ future commitments are the Giants’ owners willing to take on? How favorable of a trade should the Giants receive if they do agree to take on $300 million? What do the Giants have to do to land Stanton over the other clubs showing interest?

Here is the 12-player blockbuster I’d like to see. Stanton, Gordon, Yelich, and Prado to the Giants. That’s $406 million in contractual commitments. If the Giants are going to take on that much money, they’d likely want Miami to take back some burdensome contracts. Johnny Cueto will opt in for financial reasons, but he’d prefer to be East so I’d send him along with Denard Span, Joe Panik and five prospects (RHP-Tyler Beede, CF-Bryan Reynolds, 3B-Ryder Jones, RHP-Joan Gregorio, and LF-Mac Williamson) to Miami.

It’s clearly a favorable player swap for the Giants, but it’s also a $300 million Marlins bailout. The Marlins’ new owners can start fresh, hit the franchise reset button and pursue a new path, while the Giants would ignite their lineup with both power and speed, and give their fans a reason to buy tickets for 2018.

The Marlins may need the Giants more than the Giants need them. Stanton isn’t the only source of power in the market place, so the Giants do have other options. Jon Morosi tweeted on Tuesday that the Giants and Tigers have discussed a trade this week for Justin Upton, who has the ability to opt out of his current contract at season’s end, and JD Martinez and Lorenzo Cain are both set to be free agents this winter.

Ultimately Stanton himself will have the final say on his next destination. Stanton possesses a full no-trade clause as well as an opt-out in 2020. According to some reports Stanton’s preference, as a native and current resident of Los Angeles, may be to play for the hometown Dodgers. The possibility that the 110-win+ Dodgers could potentially add Stanton likely adds to the Giants’ urgency. It should be a juicy offseason. Stay tuned.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:48 pm 

If I'm the Marlins, I would rather have Schwarber and Happ and the ability to trade those other guys for max value for Stanton and his contract, than that pile of shit from the Giants.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:57 pm 

holy crap, Denard Span?! Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaattttttttttttt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:03 pm 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
If I'm the Marlins, I would rather have Schwarber and Happ and the ability to trade those other guys for max value for Stanton and his contract, than that pile of shit from the Giants.

Right on the above that what that article is describing is quite literally a pile of shit.

I get that not every team would be able to take that contract but there are at least a dozen that can and basically any one of them could put together a package better than the Giants.

Honestly, the White Sox are probably the best fit for Stanton if they want that contract. They could trade 3 top flight prospects and not even dent the minor league pipeline. Stanton is good for 60 dingers a year at GRF.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Quote:
It’s an impressive list that includes Willie McCovey, Orlando Cepeda, Bobby Bonds, Jack Clark, Chili Davis, Jeffrey Leonard, Will Clark, Kevin Mitchell, Matt Williams, Jeff Kent, and the *career and single season home run king, Barry Bonds.

These 2 barely hit 20 homers in a season during their Giants careers! WYC?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
One Post wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:

Right on the above that what that article is describing is quite literally a pile of shit.

I get that not every team would be able to take that contract but there are at least a dozen that can and basically any one of them could put together a package better than the Giants.

Honestly, the White Sox are probably the best fit for Stanton if they want that contract. They could trade 3 top flight prospects and not even dent the minor league pipeline. Stanton is good for 60 dingers a year at GRF.

That's not a bad idea for the Sox.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:28 pm 

He's from LA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:34 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
He's from LA

Does he have a no-trade? Why would the Marlins care about that?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:37 pm 

City of Fools wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
He's from LA

Yes. Full.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:37 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
He's from LA

Yes. Full.

oops.

Jim's barrel with a mic.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
We don't need Stanton.

We don't need any more elite hitters.

We need to be able to pay Bryant, Russell, and Baez when the time comes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1010 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 34  Next