It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1759 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 59  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:44 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
rogers park bryan wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
If you have the Dodgers bullpen, you can pull starters early.

The Cubs do not possess the Dodgers bullpen.

Any bullpen that has Lackey throwing two games in a row, is by definition bad.

Yeah, this is illustrated by Maeda vs. Lackey. Maeda is a stud in the pen, as you would expect from one of your regular season starters (who should be better than all of your relievers except the closer). In fact, Maeda is even better in relief, as he doesn't need to conserve energy for 100 pitches.

The Dodgers and Astros made good moves that are paying off. The Cubs got Justin Wilson and Alex Avila, who may not play at all in the postseason.

Agree with everything but what's in parentheses.

At this point, smart teams are looking at the bullpen like we used to the rotation. You need 4 good relievers at least. You have to fill each spot.

Relief Ace
High leverage
High leverage
LOOGY

And the talent is not all in the rotation anymore.

I would agree to a point, but that it is more of a playoff phenomenon vs regular season. Is there any reason to give starting pitchers $25m per year if they can't go 5 innings in a playoff game? There seems to be this movement to pull starters before the third time through the lineup (which could also skew the stats to make relievers look better than they really are).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:47 am 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

Yeah, this is illustrated by Maeda vs. Lackey. Maeda is a stud in the pen, as you would expect from one of your regular season starters (who should be better than all of your relievers except the closer). In fact, Maeda is even better in relief, as he doesn't need to conserve energy for 100 pitches.

The Dodgers and Astros made good moves that are paying off. The Cubs got Justin Wilson and Alex Avila, who may not play at all in the postseason.

At this point, smart teams are looking at the bullpen like we used to the rotation. You need 4 good relievers at least. You have to fill each spot.

Relief Ace
High leverage
High leverage
LOOGY

I would agree to a point, but that it is more of a playoff phenomenon vs regular season. Is there any reason to give starting pitchers $25m per year if they can't go 5 innings in a playoff game?

The paradigm is shifting.

There will always be guys who can go deep, but they will be even more rare and exotic. But the days of bullpens just being failed/old starters and retreads are over.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:53 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
rogers park bryan wrote:

There will always be guys who can go deep, but they will be even more rare and exotic. But the days of bullpens just being failed/old starters and retreads are over.

Yeah, I can see the fundamental structure of staffs changing based on number of times through the lineup. Will be interesting to see how that plays out with agents and players if staffs no longer have $25-30m starters, but instead a bunch of $5-10m pitchers who rotate in for a few innings.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:58 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

Relief Ace
High leverage
High leverage
LOOGY

I would agree to a point, but that it is more of a playoff phenomenon vs regular season. Is there any reason to give starting pitchers $25m per year if they can't go 5 innings in a playoff game?

That's not sustainable for 162 games.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:00 am 

It's already happening, dolphin.

Average start goes down every year, eventually it will be around 3 2/3 to 4 innings. We're almost there now.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:28 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:

Average start goes down every year, eventually it will be around 3 2/3 to 4 innings. We're almost there now.

#That'sSoCub

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:29 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

#That'sSoCub

What?

Actually, Cubs are LATE on this party.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:30 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

#That'sSoCub

What?

How long do Cubbie ace Hendricks starts go? Or now Q, the saviour?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:33 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Regular Reader wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

#That'sSoCub

What?

Not real long, but quite a bit longer than Sox starters this time of year.

Regular Reader wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

#That'sSoCub

What?

Are you still drunk from last night?

I dont even know what you're talking about. This bullpen discussion has very little to do with the Cubs other than the fact that they need to get on board.

And your glorious Dodgers are up 2-0 without their starters going beyond 5, so yes, it's a thing.

I get that your happy about the Cubs losing. Good for you. But you're making no sense.

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
The reason starters are going only 5 innings is because there is too much emphasis on the strikeout. They should be trying to pitch to weak contact, instead they are trying to get people to swing at balls that are just off the plate. Too much nibbling. 100-110 pitches used to get you somewhere. But now everyone needs to throw 20 pitches an inning because they are trying to strike everyone out.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:35 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

#That'sSoCub

What?

Are you still drunk from last night?

I dont even know what you're talking about. This bullpen discussion has very little to do with the Cubs other than the fact that they need to get on board.

And your glorious Dodgers are up 2-0 without their starters going beyond 5, so yes, it's a thing.

I get that your happy about the Cubs losing. Good for you. But you're making no sense.

Every baseball discussion we try to have here is viewed by Sox fans as some sort of Cubs-Sox thing even when it isn't.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:36 am 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
The reason starters are going only 5 innings is because there is too much emphasis on the strikeout. They should be trying to pitch to weak contact, instead they are trying to get people to swing at balls that are just off the plate. Too much nibbling. 100-110 pitches used to get you somewhere. But now everyone needs to throw 20 pitches an inning because they are trying to strike everyone out.

Max effort/strike em out is the most effective way to stop offenses currently though, so doesn't matter.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:56 am 

Schwarber's regression is remarkable. Two years ago he was the toast of the town. Last year people were lighting votive candles for his knee to heal sufficiently for the playoffs. Now, he is damaging to the lineup both offensively and defensively.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:58 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
good dolphin wrote:
Schwarber's regression is remarkable. Two years ago he was the toast of the town. Last year people were lighting votive candles for his knee to heal sufficiently for the playoffs. Now, he is damaging to the lineup both offensively and defensively.

I wish this was trolling but it's just the truth.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:01 am 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Not really that crazy though. He had a killer run through the 2015 playoffs and came back from injury to help win the World Series (2016)

Of course a guy like that is going to be beloved. The Cardinals thought they had the next Scott Rolen with David Freese. He's just a guy now.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:04 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
rogers park bryan wrote:

God, that's depressing. Baseball sucks now.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:06 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Hank Scorpio wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

he's still going to be a good hitter. He's not Kevin Maas.

It just may not be with the Cubs.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:10 am 

FavreFan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

I'm fine with it.

Once they enact my "no warm ups on the mound, just come in from the pen and begin pitching" rule the time issue will be solved.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:11 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

I'm fine with it.

Once they enact my "no warm ups on the mound, just come in from the pen and begin pitching" rule the time issue will be solved.

I believe they should also implement a rule that the starting pitcher must move somewhere in the field once they are removed and continue to bat until the end of the game.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:13 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
leashyourkids wrote:
I believe they should also implement a rule that the starting pitcher must move somewhere in the field once they are removed and continue to bat until the end of the game.
That might actually help the Cubs score some runs.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:17 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
That might actually help the Cubs score some runs.

Maybe with Arrieta.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:22 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

I'm fine with it.

And also if your starter can't last four goddamn innings you forfeit the game on principle alone.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:30 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

I'm fine with it.

My idea is legit though.

Its like two minutes of waiting every time a new pitcher comes in. You cut that out and you drop 10 minutes from game time.

its really stupid. At most they should get 3 pitches off the mound. But even that is unnecessary.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:31 am 

Are you saying mine isn't legit?

I see why Sox fans dislike you.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:33 am 

FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

I'm fine with it.

And also if your starter can't last four goddamn innings you forfeit the game on principle alone.

if your starter can't last 9 goddamn innings you forfeit the game on principle alone.

if your starter can't last 8 goddamn innings you forfeit the game on principle alone.

if your starter can't last 7 goddamn innings you forfeit the game on principle alone.

if your starter can't last 6 goddamn innings you forfeit the game on principle alone.

if your starter can't last 5 goddamn innings you forfeit the game on principle alone.

if your starter can't last 4 goddamn innings you forfeit the game on principle alone.

By 2047 we'll be looking at 9 pitchers per game.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:37 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

I'm fine with it.

if your starter can't last 9 goddamn innings you forfeit the game on principle alone.

if your starter can't last 8 goddamn innings you forfeit the game on principle alone.

if your starter can't last 7 goddamn innings you forfeit the game on principle alone.

if your starter can't last 6 goddamn innings you forfeit the game on principle alone.

if your starter can't last 5 goddamn innings you forfeit the game on principle alone.

if your starter can't last 4 goddamn innings you forfeit the game on principle alone.

By 2047 we'll be looking at 9 pitchers per game.

Big reason why your sport is dying. It's a shame you enthusiastically support it.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:38 am 

pizza_Place: John's
Next year the Cubs will have time to work Maples into a role of late inning flame thrower. Shit I would have thrown him on the roster this postseason.

Adbert Alzolay and Oscar De La Cruz, two more high velocity starting pitchers they have might also find their way into the bullpen. Esp De La Cruz who can't stay healthy. Also keep an eye on Brandon Little (if starting isn't in the cards).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:41 am 

My sport is not dying. Baseball is better than ever and is currently getting a shot in the arm from the people afraid to let their kids play your sport.

It wont go much beyond the 3-4 inning thing and you'll still have guys that go 6-7 innings, just not every day and every pitcher.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:11 am 

Why is the game tomorrow starting at 8 and not 7?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1759 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 59  Next