It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:02 am 

pizza_Place: John's
Notwithstanding the above, it shall not be considered a violation of this Rule 7.13 if the catcher blocks the pathway of the runner in order to field a throw, and the Umpire determines that the catcher could not have fielded the ball without blocking the pathway of the runner and that contact with the runner was unavoidable

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:09 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
Makes no difference on the outcome. This has a Nationals fan vibe to it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:20 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
That call wasn't nearly as bad as the one with Tyler Flowers vs. the Giants. But I agree, it's a dumb rule. The catcher should be allowed to block the plate and the runner should be allowed to blow him up.

The real problem is the replay. You had an exciting play, great baseball and now it has to be litigated in New York. It's ruining the game. In the quest to get things right we've lost sight of the fact that this is entertainment. And we often don't get it right anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:34 am 

Do we prefer Bob Harrelson or Caller Hawk?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:36 am 

pizza_Place: Bertucci's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Do we prefer Bob Harrelson or Caller Hawk?

THAT IS BS!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:48 am 

pizza_Place: maciano's
At the point contreras covered the plate, is the runner still allowed to light up the catcher? Taking out Willlson would be the easiest way to decimate this lineup. He never seems overwhelmed by the situation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:16 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
That call wasn't nearly as bad as the one with Tyler Flowers vs. the Giants. But I agree, it's a dumb rule. The catcher should be allowed to block the plate and the runner should be allowed to blow him up.

The real problem is the replay. You had an exciting play, great baseball and now it has to be litigated in New York. It's ruining the game. In the quest to get things right we've lost sight of the fact that this is entertainment. And we often don't get it right anyway.

I don't want to eliminate review completely, but stuff like this shouldn't be reviewable. Review should exist only to correct blatantly wrong calls on who got to a bag first or whether a ball is fair or foul.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:19 am 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Yeah. Like as much as the cubs benefited from the pick off the other day of the foot coming off the bag it’s terrible that you have a 3 minute delay for crap like that. I don’t think it’s a bad tool for egregious mistakes but it’s gotten insane.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:26 am 

pizza_Place: Palermos on 63rd
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

So many things are wrong with replay. I really miss the manager rants at the umpires when his team has lost 7 of 8 in the dog days of August. Now that is entertainment.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:32 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
leashyourkids wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I don't want to eliminate review completely, but stuff like this shouldn't be reviewable. Review should exist only to correct blatantly wrong calls on who got to a bag first or whether a ball is fair or foul.

I disagree. Because you can already see that it's a slippery slope. And it kills the excitement and the flow of the game. Is getting calls correct the value that should trump everything else? I don't think so. This is entertainment. It isn't life and death. Getting upset over a blown call is really no different than getting mad because Joe Jackson batted right-handed in Field of Dreams. It just feels more important at the time. Mistakes are part of the game. By batters, fielders, pitchers, and umpires. Just like life. Robot balls and strikes are next. And the game will be worse.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Dan Bernstein wrote:
Baseball will be better after people like you die off.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:07 pm 

Correct call. Bad rule. Didn't matter.

Replay is fine.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
rogers park bryan wrote:
Correct call. Bad rule. Didn't matter.

Replay is fine.

There you go .... correct across the board.

Mods pls lock thrd thx.