It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:11 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
There is no exact percentage, but it shows a lot about how you think that you think there is.
I'm asking for a rough estimate here.

This is the problem. You guys use random and luck to explain good portions of the MLB playoffs, to the point where you think the best team is actually better determined by the regular season, but then you get mad when I call it "mostly(51% or more) luck".

The fact that you don't understand any of this does not make it our obligation to educate you. We've tried, but it's impossible.
You had a chance, and still do, to refute the idea that the playoffs are "mostly luck". You have chosen not to.

Dude, you seriously are awful at this. I'm not trying to be a dick, but having to respond to your inane nonsense this early in the morning is not something I can do today. I shouldn't have responded in the first place. Go watch some baseball and think critically about it. Maybe read some books or listen to your favorite radio personality, Dan Bernstein. The fact that you can't understand that there is a large amount of variance in baseball playoffs doesn't make it anyone else's job to educate you.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:11 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
rogers park bryan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
3 straight trips to the playoffs is impressive. 3 straight years to the Championship Series means you're winning in the playoffs consistently. It is impressive.
Billy Beane likes this.

Billy Beane is a very good general manager.

I feel the need to preface this by saying I'm not trolling or being purposefully confrontational on this, but how many years in a row do the A's need to finish with 75 wins or less before you change your mind?

He's on the clock but he had another downswing like this followed by three 88+ win seasons.

So he's got another 2-3 years in him before we call it?

Sometimes you can call this type of shit before it becomes obvious(Joe Gibbs becoming HC again was an absolute joke)

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:12 am 

FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
There is no exact percentage, but it shows a lot about how you think that you think there is.

This is the problem. You guys use random and luck to explain good portions of the MLB playoffs, to the point where you think the best team is actually better determined by the regular season, but then you get mad when I call it "mostly(51% or more) luck".

The fact that you don't understand any of this does not make it our obligation to educate you. We've tried, but it's impossible.

Nah I call bullshit on that. Rick is right when calling Cubdom out on that particular inconsistency.

No, it's not. And if you don't understand how ridiculous it is to ask someone to give a specific percentage to it might make you equally obtuse.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:14 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Nah I call bullshit on that. Rick is right when calling Cubdom out on that particular inconsistency.

No, it's not. And if you don't understand how ridiculous it is to ask someone to give a specific percentage to it might make you equally obtuse.

Be honest about this debate and you might be more open minded about it. He never once asked for a specific percentage and in fact said a rough estimate would be fine for debate purposes.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:18 am 

Bump.

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=109010

This is why I wanted your help, fellas.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:19 am 

FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Be honest about this debate and you might be more open minded about it. He never once asked for a specific percentage and in fact said a rough estimate would be fine for debate purposes.

It's equally stupid to ask for a rough percentage. And we all know why he is. So that he can say "Derp! That's not even 50%! Derp! It's not even that much!" or "Derp! It's more than 50%! So it's okay for me to say 'mostly'! Derp!" It accomplishes nothing to throw out some random, meaningless percentage, whether it's a rough guess or not.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:21 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
So, because I refuse to answer a ridiculous and impossible question, you just assume what my position is and then use it as a talking point? Sounds reasonable.
You are free to actually state your position in response instead of calling it "impossible".

It really isnt Leash's fault that you cant accept things unless they are put into a hard number.

There is more variance in 11-17 games than 162.

Sometimes luck plays no role and the dominant team dominates. Other times, a great team catches a few bad breaks and loses.

Attempting to put a percentage on it wouldn't even work because every playoff series is unique and they have changed the playoff format twice the last 22 years (small amount of time overall)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:22 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
So, because I refuse to answer a ridiculous and impossible question, you just assume what my position is and then use it as a talking point? Sounds reasonable.
You are free to actually state your position in response instead of calling it "impossible".

It really isnt Leash's fault that you cant accept things unless they are put into a hard number.

Sometimes luck plays no role and the dominant team dominates. Other times, a great team catches a few bad breaks and loses.

Attempting to put a percentage on it wouldn't even work because every playoff series is unique and they have changed the playoff format twice the last 22 years (small amount of time overall)

Nuance has no place here, ok!?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:23 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

It's equally stupid to ask for a rough percentage. And we all know why he is. So that he can say "Derp! That's not even 50%! Derp! It's not even that much!" or "Derp! It's more than 50%! So it's okay for me to say 'mostly'! Derp!" It accomplishes nothing to throw out some random, meaningless percentage, whether it's a rough guess or not.

You'll never know for sure until you give him a shot. Throw out a percentage. See what happens. Live a little.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:25 am 

FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

You'll never know for sure until you give him a shot. Throw out a percentage. See what happens. Live a little.

Not today. I'm still fuming from last night. Maybe after a few drinks tonight

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:27 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

You had a chance, and still do, to refute the idea that the playoffs are "mostly luck". You have chosen not to.

Dude, you seriously are awful at this. I'm not trying to be a dick, but having to respond to your inane nonsense this early in the morning is not something I can do today. I shouldn't have responded in the first place. Go watch some baseball and think critically about it. Maybe read some books or listen to your favorite radio personality, Dan Bernstein. The fact that you can't understand that there is a large amount of variance in baseball playoffs doesn't make it anyone else's job to educate you.

Stop crying. Make whatever argument you want. Give a percentage or don't. I don't care.

Are the MLB playoffs mostly luck? My perception is many believe that. Are you one of them?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:29 am 

FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

:lol:

rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Well I used 'mostly' and you also got mad so I don't know how else to put it. Just explain your thoughts on luck vs skill in the playoffs in a way that makes it clear if the better team wins most often and if it's a big gap.

FavreFan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
3 straight trips to the playoffs is impressive. 3 straight years to the Championship Series means you're winning in the playoffs consistently. It is impressive.
Billy Beane likes this.

Billy Beane is a very good general manager.

I feel the need to preface this by saying I'm not trolling or being purposefully confrontational on this, but how many years in a row do the A's need to finish with 75 wins or less before you change your mind?

He's on the clock but he had another downswing like this followed by three 88+ win seasons.

So he's got another 2-3 years in him before we call it?

Sometimes you can call this type of shit before it becomes obvious(Joe Gibbs becoming HC again was an absolute joke)

Yea, he's been there 20 years now. He's probably phoning it in at this point.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:31 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Well I used 'mostly' and you also got mad so I don't know how else to put it. Just explain your thoughts on luck vs skill in the playoffs in a way that makes it clear if the better team wins most often and if it's a big gap.

I could but you would say "no, the team that won was better because they won" so there's no point, right?

You think the team that wins is always the better team. I think sometimes the better team gets outplayed or hits some bad fortune over a small series. We disagree, its fine. I like you. :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:34 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
leashyourkids wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

I can't believe I actually agree with BRick on this...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:36 am 

The Cubs look to the WNBA for bullpen help next year.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:45 am 

tommy wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

I can't believe I actually agree with BRick on this...

I haven't stated my entire view on the matter in this thread, as it is an ongoing argument between BRick and me. I will when I have more time. You're welcome.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:23 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

I could but you would say "no, the team that won was better because they won" so there's no point, right?

You think the team that wins is always the better team. I think sometimes the better team gets outplayed or hits some bad fortune over a small series. We disagree, its fine. I like you. :)

The better team doesn't always win.

So do you think the playoffs are mostly skill?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:23 am 

It is such a beautiful sunny morning.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:29 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Regular Reader wrote:
It is such a beautiful sunny morning.

:lol:

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:30 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

I think the better team wins most of the time and the team that wins the WS is usually at least one of the top 2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:37 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I think the better team wins most of the time and the team that wins the WS is usually at least one of the top 2

Unless it's a team from the inferior league.

See just from your era: both Marlins teams, Diamondbacks, the recent Cardinal teams, the Cub, the 1990 Reds, the last Giants team that had to send out MadBum out 4x.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:39 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:

Thanks! Leash do you feel similarly?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:40 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

See just from your era: both Marlins teams, Diamondbacks, the recent Cardinal teams, the Cub, the 1990 Reds, the last Giants team that had to send out MadBum out 4x.

Ill bet it hurt to have to include the Cubs in World Series winners.

You're completely ridiculous right now, but I get it. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:44 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

The better team wins most of the time, but I do not agree that the team that wins the WS is necessarily one of the top 2.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:45 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

lol wut. This doesn't even make sense.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:47 am 

Hey, dickheads, this thread is about ME! ME, ME, ME!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:50 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

luck.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:55 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

The better team wins most of the time, but I do not agree that the team that wins the WS is necessarily one of the top 2.

So it is mostly skill that wins in the playoffs?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next