It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Cubs pitching coach
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Lucio's
Paul Sullivan‏Verified account @PWSullivan 37s38 seconds ago

Hickey to interview with Cubs Monday as @MLBBruceLevine reported. Bosio dismissal should be official by then.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:03 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Shocking.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:08 pm 

Lucky he was available.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:11 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Shocking.

Haven't read anything in depth yet on this guy but he is supposed to be good plus free agent starter Alex Cobb likes him. Cobb looks decent as a 3rd/4th starter type.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
'77Cubs wrote:
Shocking.

Haven't read anything in depth yet on this guy but he is supposed to be good plus free agent starter Alex Cobb likes him. Cobb looks decent as a 3rd/4th starter type.

If Archer is still being considered, it brings him into a situation where he is with his former manager and pitching ciach

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:17 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
FrankDrebin wrote:
'77Cubs wrote:
Shocking.

If Archer is still being considered, it brings him into a situation where he is with his former manager and pitching ciach

I think that is going to happen.

Not the reason for this move specifically but a nice secondary impact.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:19 pm 

FrankDrebin wrote:
'77Cubs wrote:
Shocking.

I think that is going to happen.

Not the reason for this move specifically but a nice secondary impact.

Depends on the price to get him. Cobb's stats where actually better and he's a free agent.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:55 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
FrankDrebin wrote:
'77Cubs wrote:
Shocking.

Get rid of the guy who coached the pitchers who played for the Pennant three straight years and replace a couple of the starters from those teams with guys who haven't made the playoffs and hire the guy who coached them. Sounds like a great plan.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:09 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FrankDrebin wrote:
'77Cubs wrote:
Shocking.

Get rid of the guy who coached the pitchers who played for the Pennant three straight years and replace a couple of the starters from those teams with guys who haven't made the playoffs and hire the guy who coached them. Sounds like a great plan.

Coaches do not matter.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:11 pm 

conns7901 wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FrankDrebin wrote:
'77Cubs wrote:
Shocking.

Coaches do not matter.

Everything Cub matters to JORR

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermos on 63rd
Joe Orr Road wrote:

Theo likes scapegoats. He'll break out the gorilla suit when he runs out of them.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:28 pm 
Site Admin

conns7901 wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FrankDrebin wrote:
'77Cubs wrote:
Shocking.

Coaches do not matter.

I've never once said a pitching coach doesn't matter.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:30 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FrankDrebin wrote:
'77Cubs wrote:
Shocking.

Coaches do not matter.

I've never once said a pitching coach doesn't matter.

Oh for the love of god man really?

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Lucky he was available.

Cool. Cubs needed someone who doesnt walk a lot of guys.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:41 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
RFDC wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FrankDrebin wrote:
'77Cubs wrote:
Shocking.

Coaches do not matter.

Everything Cub matters to JORR
Neither of you disagreed with what he said.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:45 pm 

I love the shots at Maddon and the Cubs for not bringing Bosio back.

Many act like there is no justification at all.

As has been discussed around here. The walks are clearly a huge problem. CJs struggles are a problem. Wilson being horrible is a problem. Rondon being shit is a problem. Who is held responsible for these things? I am sure some will say Maddon. But I think it has been pretty well documented that Maddon let Bosio handle the pitchers on his own.

On top of those issues has been the stupid comments he has made throughout the year. It has been rightly stated that he seemed to be mailing it in this year.

Bosio had a great run here. He did a great job with Arrieta and Hendricks and I am sure with others. But at times change is needed.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:01 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
RFDC wrote:

As has been discussed around here. The walks are clearly a huge problem. CJs struggles are a problem. Wilson being horrible is a problem. Rondon being shit is a problem. Who is held responsible for these things? I am sure some will say Maddon. But I think it has been pretty well documented that Maddon let Bosio handle the pitchers on his own.

On top of those issues has been the stupid comments he has made throughout the year. It has been rightly stated that he seemed to be mailing it in this year.

Bosio had a great run here. He did a great job with Arrieta and Hendricks and I am sure with others. But at times change is needed.

I've been asking this question but nobody has an answer.

You basically had the same bullpen from 2016 except at the closer position. How did this bullpen which was pretty solid in 2016 go to shit so fast in 2017?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:01 pm 

RFDC wrote:

Bosio seemingly was good with SP's but not with bullpen guys. Last post season was Chapman, Monty and Edwards and this post season Davis, Duensing and Strop were the only 3 guys worth a shit. And if Theo doesn't give up 5 guys for Chapman, then odds are we are talking 110 years with no championship next season. So yeah, Bosio deserves credit for the reclamation projects and Arrieta/Hendricks, but that's about it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:15 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
The steroid comments didn't do him any favors with the front office I'm sure.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:38 pm 

Their relievers sucked. No idea or give a shit how much was on him and how much was on the guys just falling apart. Regardless of pitching coach, they won't make it back if they do not fix their pen and find replacements for Jake and Lackey.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:57 pm 

Peoria Matt wrote:
The steroid comments didn't do him any favors with the front office I'm sure.

A coach needs stroke equal to Cooper's to get away with those comments.

Me thinks the Cubs like their coaches (except Maddon) to tow the company line when being interviewed.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:02 pm 
Site Admin

Darkside wrote:

What are you on about? I assume a pitching coach understands the mechanics of pitching and assists guys with deliveries, etc. A guy like Dave Duncan clearly has value. There's a little more to it than writing obvious names down on a lineup card.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:45 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Darkside wrote:

What are you on about? I assume a pitching coach understands the mechanics of pitching and assists guys with deliveries, etc. A guy like Dave Duncan clearly has value. There's a little more to it than writing obvious names down on a lineup card.

Then why the fuck did the Cubs pen walk every other batter this post season?

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:48 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Bored Old Troll Rod really tries WAY too hard at times.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:00 pm 

HawaiiYou wrote:
RFDC wrote:

I've been asking this question but nobody has an answer.

You basically had the same bullpen from 2016 except at the closer position. How did this bullpen which was pretty solid in 2016 go to shit so fast in 2017?

Because bullpen arms are the most inconsistent things in baseball. It's hard to find relievers that continue to perform at a high level every year.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:12 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Darkside wrote:

Darkside doesn't want any non Cubs fan talking Cubs.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:17 pm 

If Bosio is good with starters and not so great with relievers then it's a good move. As Hawk Harrelson has been saying for a while, it's a game of bullpens boys.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:19 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Darkside wrote:

You are a fool as well.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:20 pm 

Darkside wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Darkside wrote:

You are a fool as well.

I know. You've told me.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:36 pm 

Well I for one am glad we have an accord.