It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:23 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
We got Hickey

Pitching coach for the 2005 World Series runner-up Astros and 2008 World Series runner-up Rays.

...which is nice.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:26 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
Fuck Joe Maddon. Phony piece of shit

I would think that people that do not like Maddon would be good with all these changes. Theo had been clear that these choices are on Maddon. If they do not go well all the blame is going to be at the feet of Maddon.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:28 pm 

W&S had a tape today of Maddon admitting he lied during the playoffs that the coaches were great or safe. Didn’t want to upset the room during the series.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:29 pm 

pittmike wrote:
W&S had a tape today of Maddon admitting he lied during the playoffs that the coaches were great or safe. Didn’t want to upset the room during the series.

That was a no win situation for Maddon. What can he say there? Yeah I am cleaning house as soon as we are out? He did all he could do with that situation.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:34 pm 

RFDC wrote:
pittmike wrote:

That was a no win situation for Maddon. What can he say there? Yeah I am cleaning house as soon as we are out? He did all he could do with that situation.

Not saying he’s wrong. Just reporting.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Even after Maddon is caught in his own web of lies, Ralph still has his back on here. Smh

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:41 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Even after Maddon is caught in his own web of lies, Ralph still has his back on here. Smh

Don't you have another poker game to no call/no show for?

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:42 pm 

Shots fired.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
RFDC wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Don't you have another poker game to no call/no show for?

I've heard that there was a call.

I can't divulge my exact source, but let's just say he or she was very close to the situation.

Sounds as if we didn't get the whole story.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Lucio's
With Hickey on board, who has seen Alex Cobb pitch? Is he at least a 3?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:38 pm 
1000 CLUB

'77Cubs wrote:

Do the Cubs have an ace in this group?

This is a high quality rotation. They will win the division with this group assuming health, but this rotation looks like a several #2 or #3 type starters.

How do they get an ace?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:32 am 

'77Cubs wrote:

He's heading into his 27 year old year coming off two years of 2.87 and 2.76 ERA's in the AL East.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:34 am 

BD wrote:
'77Cubs wrote:

Do the Cubs have an ace in this group?

This is a high quality rotation. They will win the division with this group assuming health, but this rotation looks like a several #2 or #3 type starters.

How do they get an ace?

An Ace is still the best way, but this has me thinking about teams that won without one. The 2015 Royals did it.

If you have a dominant bullpen it can be done.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:36 am 

RFDC wrote:
pittmike wrote:

"We don't talk about any roster or coaching decisions in the season"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:37 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
RFDC wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Yea, lots of stuff he could say.

We're focused on the Dodgers and that's off season stuff.

I dont believe Maddon is some evil asshole who would purposely say they were coming back knowing they were gone though.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:47 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
RFDC wrote:
pittmike wrote:

The question isn't what can he say, but what can't he say or what shouldn't he say.

He can't say that he is thinking of cleaning house. That I agree with.

To say he did all he could is completely wrong. Ten days ago, he spoke in glowing terms of his staff;
Quote:
"The staff has done a great job," Maddon said Wednesday. "Our staff has been awesome, and they're tight, a tightly knit group. There's a lot of synergy involved. No one knows everything. Everybody helps everybody. There's cross-pollination. Nobody is on their own little island. I like that."

"(They don't withhold) saying something to me that they have on their mind, which I really appreciate," Maddon said. "They don't feel like they can't say it, and that's one thing I wanted to build, that kind of method. Don't hold back. Just say it. You know you can. There's nothing held against you for doing it. There are some places that is the case."

He should not have said that. Actually, he can't say that without a boatload of backlash. Maddon is deserving of every piece of criticism he is getting right now. This is all his own fault.

It has become a no win situation for Maddon because of what he said. He should have given a non answer answer...something to the effect of "My coaching staff has won a lot of games for me, and right now they are doing the best they can to prep the guys to try and extend this NLCS. There is a time and place to talk about offseason moves, and this is not it." If he says that its done and over with. Instead he had to act like the smartest guy in the room again and in retrospect sounded like a total idiot. There is simply no defending him here. Take off your Cubs colored glasses for a minute and try to look at the situation logically.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:52 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
RFDC wrote:
pittmike wrote:

The question isn't what can he say, but what can't he say or what shouldn't he say.

He can't say that he is thinking of cleaning house. That I agree with.

To say he did all he could is completely wrong. Ten days ago, he spoke in glowing terms of his staff;
Quote:
"The staff has done a great job," Maddon said Wednesday. "Our staff has been awesome, and they're tight, a tightly knit group. There's a lot of synergy involved. No one knows everything. Everybody helps everybody. There's cross-pollination. Nobody is on their own little island. I like that."

"(They don't withhold) saying something to me that they have on their mind, which I really appreciate," Maddon said. "They don't feel like they can't say it, and that's one thing I wanted to build, that kind of method. Don't hold back. Just say it. You know you can. There's nothing held against you for doing it. There are some places that is the case."

He should not have said that. Actually, he can't say that without a boatload of backlash. Maddon is deserving of every piece of criticism he is getting right now. This is all his own fault.

If you want to get into a debate with a World Series winning manager, I think that is something highly inappropriate.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:08 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
So Maddon can do or say no wrong simply because his team over came his own questionable (at best) managerial moves to win Game 7 last year?

I think that is quite an illogical stance to take.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:10 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
So Maddon can do or say no wrong simply because his team over came his own questionable (at best) managerial moves to win Game 7 last year?

I think that is quite an illogical stance to take.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:39 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
What question was Maddon responding to that put him in an awkward position? His comment was made before the season ended...did some asshole reporter ask him whether he was bringing the staff back while the playoffs were still in progress?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:41 am 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
What question was Maddon responding to that put him in an awkward position? His comment was made before the season ended...did some asshole reporter ask him whether he was bringing the staff back while the playoffs were still in progress?

Yes.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:04 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Everyone's contract was up so its not like they were fired. Is there any chance any of these guys told Joe and the Cubs to piss off after Bosio was not retained?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:07 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
RFDC wrote:
pittmike wrote:

I dont believe Maddon is some evil asshole who would purposely say they were coming back knowing they were gone though.

He's not evil. He's a weasel.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:18 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
This morning Mully and Hanley were discussing whether coaches would become mere puppets and that even in-game decisions would eventually be made upstairs by Theo, Jed, or their number crunchers. Is that type of thing allowed currently? (i.e., communication from outside the dugout)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:19 am 

good dolphin wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
RFDC wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Disagree.

Guy had a clause in his contract that if the GM left, he could leave. They got rid of this great GM and he enacted the clause.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:19 am 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
This morning Mully and Hanley were discussing whether coaches would become mere puppets and that even in-game decisions would eventually be made upstairs by Theo, Jed, or their number crunchers. Is that type of thing allowed currently? (i.e., communication from outside the dugout)

You're not supposed to have cell phones but I imagine if a GM wants, he could do it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:13 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
good dolphin wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
RFDC wrote:
pittmike wrote:

How is the statement above even debatable?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:13 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
good dolphin wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
RFDC wrote:
pittmike wrote:

How is the statement above even debatable?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:06 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Wade Boggs reporting Davey Martinez will be announced as the new Nats manager.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:46 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
RFDC wrote:
pittmike wrote:

I disagree. He could have simply stated that all their focus was currently on trying to win another World Series and anything else will have to wait until that is accomplished or the team falls short of that goal......NEXT.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next