It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fear the Brewers
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:43 am 

spanky wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Sounds like you're starting to get worried that the Cub "dynasty" isn't exactly going the way you thought.

I agree, it's not.

4 years ago I would have never thought the Cubs would be in 3 straight NLCS and win a WS, and continue to be the odds on favorite to win the division again in the 4th year. Thanks for the perspective!

Championship favorite this year with the #1 payroll for the 25 man roster! Great time to be a Cubs fan.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:45 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
spanky wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Sounds like you're starting to get worried that the Cub "dynasty" isn't exactly going the way you thought.

I agree, it's not.

4 years ago I would have never thought the Cubs would be in 3 straight NLCS and win a WS, and continue to be the odds on favorite to win the division again in the 4th year. Thanks for the perspective!

Championship favorite this year with the #1 payroll for the 25 man roster! Great time to be a Cubs fan.

Amazing isn't it?
I too am in awe of the variety of ways that the Cubs have maintained their excellence these last 4 years.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:39 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
I thought this CFMB bar and its' people sucked so you weren't coming around anymore?

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:42 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I thought this CFMB bar and its' people sucked so you weren't coming around anymore?

I wasn't the one that brought up the "bar" analogy. But it's just the one table of assholes at the bar, and I guess they don't have any beer money lately so they haven't been here as much. Which is nice.

Anyway, Nas told me to post more and everything would be better. I'm just following directions. I'm a pleaser.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:48 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
spanky wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

I wasn't the one that brought up the "bar" analogy. But it's just the one table of assholes at the bar, and I guess they don't have any beer money lately so they haven't been here as much. Which is nice.

Anyway, Nas told me to post more and everything would be better. I'm just following directions. I'm a pleaser.

Welcome back, spanky. The board can use some less than hysterical Cub fans to balance out Nas and 312player.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:54 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
spanky wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Welcome back, spanky. The board can use some less than hysterical Cub fans to balance out Nas and 312player.

Very sad! I always try to avoid the Cubs vs Sox stuff because I know how annoying it can get. That being said you wanted Almora to be included in a trade not long ago and now you think he's a 4th outfielder. A guy with as much baseball knowledge as you have shouldn't be a leader of the Sox vs Cubs pettiness.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:24 am 
Site Admin

Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
spanky wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Very sad! I always try to avoid the Cubs vs Sox stuff because I know how annoying it can get. That being said you wanted Almora to be included in a trade not long ago and now you think he's a 4th outfielder. A guy with as much baseball knowledge as you have shouldn't be a leader of the Sox vs Cubs pettiness.

I'll admit that some of my contributions in this thread have been trolling, but I'm dead serious in my thoughts on Almora. And a lot of that is because I think Epstein knows what he's doing. If this guy was really that good they wouldn't have needed to get Jay last season. If you were ever going to give that kid the job, last season was the time.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:28 am 

Nas wrote:
I always try to avoid the Cubs vs Sox stuff because I know how annoying it can get.

Have you seen the political discussions on this sports board??

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:31 am 
100000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
spanky wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

I'll admit that some of my contributions in this thread have been trolling, but I'm dead serious in my thoughts on Almora. And a lot of that is because I think Epstein knows what he's doing. If this guy was really that good they wouldn't have needed to get Jay last season. If you were ever going to give that kid the job, last season was the time.

I thought it was odd too but I think the Zobrist love is odd. Maybe they didn't feel like he was ready for the grind of 162. I didn't watch as much as I would like but when I did I didn't see a guy who couldn't play every day.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:32 am 
100000 CLUB

spanky wrote:
Nas wrote:
I always try to avoid the Cubs vs Sox stuff because I know how annoying it can get.

Have you seen the political discussions on this sports board??

I don't have a side in the Cubs vs Sox pissing matches so I don't enjoy it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:16 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
312player wrote:
How could any cub fan complain? The last 3 years have been great, this year should be great. I didn't like the Heyward contract or Zobrist contract, I have no confidence in Zobrist this year or next.. Small hope that Jhey can hit .270.

Almora is our best glove in the outfield, I believe he can hit .300 if given 500 plus at bats..I like what I see, I'd make him the every day CF and leadoff man.

I'll bet right now he never hits .300 in a 500 at-bat season in his career. Your superstar Anthony Rizzo has never come within 8 points of .300 but some defensive replacement is suddenly going to lead your team in hitting. You guys have strange thoughts.

There are MANY guys who aren't super stars that hit .300. Remember Lance Johnson?

Now Almora is Lance Johnson. Maybe we can keep going and get him to Tris Speaker.

It was you that's pretending that only a superstar can hit .300. I don't even think Lance Johnson was ever an all star but I would take something similar.

I'm not pretending anything. I just find it highly doubtful that Almora ever hits .300 as a full time player.

And Johnson was an All-Star at least once.

Maybe there will just be a Cubbie occurrence and Almora will hit .300.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:23 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
spanky wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

The time to give someone the outright CF job is when they are 23 years old with 110 plate appearances in the major leagues?

Right, because that's the prototypical development path of most everyday MLB centerfielders...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
This isn't rocket science. Almora must play every day against LHP, with Happ moving to LF and Schwarber sitting. Almora and Happ should split time in CF against RHP depending on who's starting for the Cubs and whether outfield defense or power will be more important. Heyward and Zobrist platoon in RF, and a mix of Zobrist, Happ, and LaStella play at 2B twice a week with Baez moving around to give each of the regular infielders one day off every other week.

I think they will re-sign Jon Jay, and he and LaStella become the primary pinch hitters and double-switchers.

Back to the Brewers, they need to get a couple of more starting pitchers. They're in the best position to get Chris Archer, because they still have OF to deal as well as Thames. But their current starting staff won't get them the division unless the Cubs hitting completely falls apart.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:48 pm 
Site Admin

One Post wrote:
The time to give someone the outright CF job is when they are 23 years old with 110 plate appearances in the major leagues?

Maybe you haven't been paying attention. We're not in the steroid era anymore. When is this great first round pick going to be worthy of a starting job? When he's 28 and his career is beginning its decline?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:52 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
One Post wrote:

Maybe you haven't been paying attention. We're not in the steroid era anymore. When is this great first round pick going to be worthy of a starting job? When he's 28 and his career is beginning its decline?

When his hitting is arguably better than 23 year old first round pick Ian Happ against a wider variety of RHP.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:34 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
spanky wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

I'm very rational, I'm expecting 92 wins and a playoff appearance this year.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:37 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

HEY NOW.... the cubs are the little train that could.... pretend they were always a little train =P

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:08 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
One Post wrote:

Astros, 2017 WS Champs, starting centerfielder George Springer, 1st round pick, first handed the starting job at the age of 25

Yankees, 2017 ALCS, starting centerfielder Jacoby Ellsbusy, 1st round pick, first handed the starting job at the age of 24

Washington Nats, 2017 AL East champs, starting centerfielder Michael Taylor, first handed the starting job at the age of 24

Arizona Diamondbacks, 2017 NL WC winner, starting centerfielder AJ Pollock, 1st round pick, first handed the starting job at the age of 25

Colorado Rockies, 2017 WC qualifier, starting centerfielder Charlie Blackmon, 2nd round pick if you want it, first handed the starting job at the age of 27

If you don't like Almora as a future productive MLB player that's fine and you're entitled to your opinion. But this idea that because the Cubs didn't elect to turn over the CF job to him full time at the age of 23 in a year in which the Cubs had legitimate and undeniable shot at winning the WS means that he's worthless just doesn't line up with the facts.

We're not in the steroid era anymore, we're in the Cubbie occurrence era. With those occurrences being deep playoff runs.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:38 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
One Post wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
One Post wrote:

Astros, 2017 WS Champs, starting centerfielder George Springer, 1st round pick, first handed the starting job at the age of 25

Yankees, 2017 ALCS, starting centerfielder Jacoby Ellsbusy, 1st round pick, first handed the starting job at the age of 24

Washington Nats, 2017 AL East champs, starting centerfielder Michael Taylor, first handed the starting job at the age of 24

Arizona Diamondbacks, 2017 NL WC winner, starting centerfielder AJ Pollock, 1st round pick, first handed the starting job at the age of 25

Colorado Rockies, 2017 WC qualifier, starting centerfielder Charlie Blackmon, 2nd round pick if you want it, first handed the starting job at the age of 27

If you don't like Almora as a future productive MLB player that's fine and you're entitled to your opinion. But this idea that because the Cubs didn't elect to turn over the CF job to him full time at the age of 23 in a year in which the Cubs had legitimate and undeniable shot at winning the WS means that he's worthless just doesn't line up with the facts.

We're not in the steroid era anymore, we're in the Cubbie occurrence era. With those occurrences being deep playoff runs.

Jorr has lost all his ammo, he's shooting blanks for. 3 years now. It's been a rough 1k days and no end in sight.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:25 am 
Site Admin

One Post wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
One Post wrote:

This is fantastic spin but obviously so wrong.

Right off the bat, Ellsbury was a Red Sox draft pick and started for Boston when he was 23.

And the reason Springer wasn't a regular at 23 is simply because there was no reason for it. The Astros were a 111 loss team.

But you expect us to believe that the 2017 World Series favorite Cubs had only two glaring weaknesses- centerfield and leadoff- and they had this .300 hitter and Ashburnesque defender available to solve both problems but they didn't use him because he was too young.

Try to be more ridiculous next time you post. It will be difficult.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:57 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
One Post wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
One Post wrote:

Right off the bat, Ellsbury was a Red Sox draft pick and started for Boston when he was 23.

And the reason Springer wasn't a regular at 23 is simply because there was no reason for it. The Astros were a 111 loss team.

But you expect us to believe that the 2017 World Series favorite Cubs had only two glaring weaknesses- centerfield and leadoff- and they had this .300 hitter and Ashburnesque defender available to solve both problems but they didn't use him because he was too young.

They did use Almora, he played in every post season game except one and received 400+ at bats age the age of 23. Ellsbury played in a lower percentage of his teams playoff games and received fewer at bats by a factor of 4 at the age of 23. Almora had more plate appearances for the World Series Champ 2016 Cubs at the age of 22 than Ellsbury did for the Sox at 23. So I guess the World Series Champ 2016 Cubs did turn over the CF job to Almora, at the age of 22, which clearly means he will be the next Garry Maddox.

We're back to this. Look, I'm sure it kills you that the Cubs have been an really good team for the past three years and are probably in the top five of model franchises over the past decade, this clearly kills you.

We know you want Almora to be bad, this is pretty obvious. You want this just like you wanted the following: none of the Cubs prospects would make it, nobody would trade for Cubs prospects, the Cubs would never win a WS because of "cubbie occurrences", the Lester contract would never work out, Arrieta was a fluke in 2014, and the countless other things you "wished" would happen over the past 5 years but just ended up in the JORR coal car full of bullshit bin.

If you don't think Almora is going to be a valuable MLB player, that's fine. This is an opinion that is shared by people, and people who are more objective. It's not a wildly ridiculous opinion.

We know you are desperate for Almora to not be a valuable MLB player, because again, all of these positive things happening to the Cubs just rot at you on the inside, but again, the fact that the Cubs didn't turn over the reigns to CF on a World Series Champion team to a 23 year old CF with 100 MLB plate appearances isn't evidence that he's going to be a bad or valueless MLB player.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:50 am 
Site Admin

One Post wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
One Post wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
One Post wrote:

They did use Almora, he played in every post season game except one and received 400+ at bats age the age of 23. Ellsbury played in a lower percentage of his teams playoff games and received fewer at bats by a factor of 4 at the age of 23. Almora had more plate appearances for the World Series Champ 2016 Cubs at the age of 22 than Ellsbury did for the Sox at 23. So I guess the World Series Champ 2016 Cubs did turn over the CF job to Almora, at the age of 22, which clearly means he will be the next Garry Maddox.

We're back to this. Look, I'm sure it kills you that the Cubs have been an really good team for the past three years and are probably in the top five of model franchises over the past decade, this clearly kills you.

We know you want Almora to be bad, this is pretty obvious. You want this just like you wanted the following: none of the Cubs prospects would make it, nobody would trade for Cubs prospects, the Cubs would never win a WS because of "cubbie occurrences", the Lester contract would never work out, Arrieta was a fluke in 2014, and the countless other things you "wished" would happen over the past 5 years but just ended up in the JORR coal car full of bullshit bin.

If you don't think Almora is going to be a valuable MLB player, that's fine. This is an opinion that is shared by people, and people who are more objective. It's not a wildly ridiculous opinion.

We know you are desperate for Almora to not be a valuable MLB player, because again, all of these positive things happening to the Cubs just rot at you on the inside, but again, the fact that the Cubs didn't turn over the reigns to CF on a World Series Champion team to a 23 year old CF with 100 MLB plate appearances isn't evidence that he's going to be a bad or valueless MLB player.

No. When Ellsbury came up, he played. Almora is a platoon player. The Cubs know it. That's why they're using him that way and why they got Jon Jay and now Peter Bourjos.

I'm sorry you're so upset your team has a shitty outfield. Maybe they can win in spite of it. Shouldn't you be celebrating the acquisition of Yu Darvish (10-12, 3.86) instead of crying to me?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:09 pm 

One Post wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
One Post wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
One Post wrote:

You know, if you have a problem with JORR's projection for him, then you should give your own projection rather than posts like this that let you squirm out of any defense of him if he isn't very good.

What's your prediction for him?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:30 pm 

It took Rizzo a few years to hit lefties at the major league level.

Age 22, half season: OPS .892 vs. RHP, .599 vs LHP
Age 23: .796/.625
Age 24: .907/.928
Age 25: .905/.881

One difference is that Rizzo got lots of playing time for a team which stunk in his age 22 and 23 seasons, and lefties are the short side of the platoon anyway. Almora doesn't have that luxury on a winning/contending team, so they're picking their spots to get him experience against RHP, and he's competing with another 23 year old (Happ) for plate appearances. Once they got to the playoffs, he started against everybody.

Bourjos is a journeyman who is a platoon CF on bad teams. It's only 50/50 that he even makes the ballclub as the 5th OF.

The Tigers wanted Almora in a Verlander deal. Theo and Jed said no. That tells you all you need to know.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:41 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
The Tigers wanted Almora in a Verlander deal. Theo and Jed said no. That tells you all you need to know.
Verlander will be getting a 2017 World Series ring. That tells you all you need to know.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:43 pm 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:

Didn't they do the same thing with Schwarber?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:44 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
No. When Ellsbury came up, he played. Almora is a platoon player. The Cubs know it. That's why they're using him that way and why they got Jon Jay and now Peter Bourjos.

whoa... the cubs got "mister" bourjous? holy shit woohoo i'm so rooting against almora now! #halonation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:45 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
spanky wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Darvish is going to win the Cy-Young! #2018

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:52 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
What's your prediction for him?

I think he'll continue to start against more and more RHP. There's certainly a spray chart of what Almora can get to which Happ can't, and there's certainly a spray chart of what each Cubs starter tends to give up in terms of balls hit to the OF, and there's certainly a technique they use to adjust for Wrigley weather or road ballparks.

When there are going to be a lot of balls which need Almora's defense, he'll start against RHP and get some more experience hitting them. When there aren't, then as long as Happ continues to progress he'll get those AB against RHP, and then Almora or the 5th OF will come in for defense and Happ will move to LF and send Schwarber to the showers. Meanwhile, both Almora and Happ will play against LHP.

Almora's splits last year were:
- RHP: .271/.291/.420 = .711 OPS
- LHP: .342/.411/.486 = .898 OPS but with a very high .378 BABIP

I think that in Almora will have a .725 OPS against RHP and a .850 OPS against LHP with a lower BABIP against LHP. If Almora goes .725/.850 for his career and plays Gold Glove defense, I'm happy. That puts him in the range of historically excellent defense-first, multi-Gold Glove CF such as Garry Maddox (similar splits against RHP, lower against LHP), and Devon White (no split as a switch hitter, but basically a .260/.325/.420 hitter)

But the bigger problem is that Almora's overall defense isn't great yet. It's good, it's not great. It has to get better.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:32 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
That's why they're using him that way and why they got Jon Jay and now Peter Bourjos.

I have seen you make this statement a couple times. I dont really think that is what is going on. Jay has been a pretty productive major league outfielder and I do think they picked him up last year because they did not think Almora was ready.

But Bourjos has been below average and I do not think the Cubs picked him up to be anything other than maybe some speed off the bench if he even makes the team. I don't think he has anything to do with how they view Almora.

I am very interested to see how they handle Almora this year. I hope they give him more of a full time job and see if he can sink or swim.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next