It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fear the Brewers
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:36 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Jorr, do you think the Cubs make the playoffs this year?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:11 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
312player wrote:
Jorr, do you think the Cubs make the playoffs this year?

I don't think they're a lock.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:25 pm 

Yelich and Cain are good but they had Santana and Broxton already last year.

Braun gonna DH now? 4 guys, 3 spots

As usual I'm more worried about Stl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:27 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
312player wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Do you really think Epstein, the prototype modern GM, allows a fucking manager to sit a first round draft choice if he believes the guy is an everyday player? Almora is as ordinary as they come. If he's the best guy in your outfield you're in big trouble.

This sounds a lot like your 2015 proclamation that Rizzo had a career year.

Sounds like you're starting to get worried that the Cub "dynasty" isn't exactly going the way you thought. Maybe Theo can trade for a good first baseman like Goldschmidt or Freeman.

Rizzo no good?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:33 pm 

I think Almora will be a solid startimg of.

Bat him 7th, he'll hit 15-20 homers bat like 270 to go with very good D and baserunning

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:42 pm 
Site Admin

rogers park bryan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
312player wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Do you really think Epstein, the prototype modern GM, allows a fucking manager to sit a first round draft choice if he believes the guy is an everyday player? Almora is as ordinary as they come. If he's the best guy in your outfield you're in big trouble.

Sounds like you're starting to get worried that the Cub "dynasty" isn't exactly going the way you thought. Maybe Theo can trade for a good first baseman like Goldschmidt or Freeman.

Rizzo no good?

.268 career hitter at first. He's okay. Maybe the fifth best first baseman in the NL.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
.268 career hitter at first. He's okay. Maybe the fifth best first baseman in the NL.

As a Cub, he's .273/.371/.497, and that's with shitty performance against LHP his first two years which he's cleaned up by changing his approach against LHP with two strikes.

That's actually all he needs to be. He's on a stupid cheap contract because he wanted to be the face of the franchise. An .850 OPS, lineup protection for Bryant, and the ability to pick a lot of throws out of the dirt at 1B is his job. Anything else is a bonus.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:17 am 
Site Admin

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

As a Cub, he's .273/.371/.497, and that's with shitty performance against LHP his first two years which he's cleaned up by changing his approach against LHP with two strikes.

That's actually all he needs to be. He's on a stupid cheap contract because he wanted to be the face of the franchise. An .850 OPS, lineup protection for Bryant, and the ability to pick a lot of throws out of the dirt at 1B is his job. Anything else is a bonus.

Every first baseman picks balls out of the dirt. First base defense is like tits on a bull. It's insignificant. First basemen get paid to hit. Rizzo is fine. He just isn't an elite player. He's at the bottom of the top third of NL first basemen or at the top of the middle third.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:56 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Insane.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:01 am 
Site Admin

IMU wrote:
Insane.

Really? Right off the bat he's not better than Goldschmidt, Votto, or Freeman. Then we can go from there. There's a good argument that Zimmerman and Bellinger are better. Bellinger was a rookie last year and his production was equal to what Rizzo has done over his career. Or are only Cubs expected to improve?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:04 am 

Cubs fans pretending that 1B defense matters is one of my favorite baseball things on this board.

I guess Frank Thomas weren't that good. Maybe they shpuld put Baez at first!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:14 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
It is normal for Cub fans to be defensive and even overrate Rizzo. He is their guy. I am sure some Sox fans did the same with Konerko. We know they sure as hell did it with Grace.

Rizzo is not a bum but he is not some elite 1B hall of famer. It is ok to be very good.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:16 am 
Site Admin

pittmike wrote:
It is normal for Cub fans to be defensive and even overrate Rizzo. He is their guy. I am sure some Sox fans did the same with Konerko. We know they sure as hell did it with Grace.

Rizzo is not a bum but he is not some elite 1B hall of famer. It is ok to be very good.

Oh, definitely. Konerko is our Rizzo. There are Sox fans who think he is a Hall of Famer.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:18 am 

Votto and Goldschmidt are better currently. Freeman has had 2 good back to back seasons but Rizzo has had the better success overall the past 4 seasons. No argument for Zimmerman or Bellinger at this time. Analysts and former players have put Rizzo in the Top 3 or 4 1B in the league for the last 4 years. Pretty much anyone but White Sox fans would.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:44 am 
Site Admin

IMU wrote:
Votto and Goldschmidt are better currently. Freeman has had 2 good back to back seasons but Rizzo has had the better success overall the past 4 seasons. No argument for Zimmerman or Bellinger at this time. Analysts and former players have put Rizzo in the Top 3 or 4 1B in the league for the last 4 years. Pretty much anyone but White Sox fans would.

:lol: Bellinger's rookie year was the same as a typical Rizzo season. I can imagine if Bellinger was a Cub. You'd be designing his Hall of Fame plaque.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:26 am 

Hundreds of players have put up Cody Bellinger rookie seasons and never reached that ability again in their careers. Many were out of the league a few short years later. I don't fall in love with young players like you do, I guess. Give me consistent success.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:28 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Cubs fans pretending that 1B defense matters is one of my favorite baseball things on this board.

If defense doesn't matter @ first base, why was Frank a DH? He wanted to play first and said he hit better when he played the field.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:38 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
312player wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Rizzo no good?

.368 obp

You go back and forth on obp vs ba to suit your argument. You were extolling the virtues of Moncadas obp last year.

I agree he's about the 4th or 5th best NL 1B and probably 7th in all of baseball. (Currently a dearth of great 1B in the AL)

In all of MLB
Rizzo was 5th in WAR, 7th in OPS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:39 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

It matters a little bit.

Not a lot.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
In 2016, Rizzo not only won the gold glove at first base, but won the Platinum glove, given to the player deemed the best defensive player at ANY position. That kind of defense does matter and 30 plus homers and 100 plus RBI per season matters. JORR you really should be less obvious where your trolling is concerned.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:26 am 

Elmhurst Steve wrote:
In 2016, Rizzo not only won the gold glove at first base, but won the Platinum glove, given to the player deemed the best defensive player at ANY position. That kind of defense does matter and 30 plus homers and 100 plus RBI per season matters. JORR you really should be less obvious where your trolling is concerned.

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:48 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
A "platinum glove" should always go to a shortstop or a center fielder. Maybe a 3rd basement once a while, but thats it. Never should it be awarded to a position like 1st base.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:25 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
The Brewers have one more move to make. They're stacked now in the outfield. Broxton will give someone a good defensive CF. Trade him to the Giants for one of their top pitching prospects. Or just trade Braun and get a solid #1 pitcher back. Interesting to see what they will do.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:57 pm 

HawaiiYou wrote:
The Brewers have one more move to make. They're stacked now in the outfield. Broxton will give someone a good defensive CF. Trade him to the Giants for one of their top pitching prospects. Or just trade Braun and get a solid #1 pitcher back. Interesting to see what they will do.

They are not getting a #1 pitcher for a 34 yr old dude

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
HawaiiYou wrote:

I think they will get Starlin Castro from the Marlins to play 2B. They have not brought Neil Walker back, and Walker has not signed with anybody else.

I could see Rick Hahn sticking his nose into a three-way deal: Broxton to the White Sox, some AA pitching to the Marlins, Castro to the Brewers.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:55 pm 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

I think they will get Starlin Castro from the Marlins to play 2B. They have not brought Neil Walker back, and Walker has not signed with anybody else.

I could see Rick Hahn sticking his nose into a three-way deal: Broxton to the White Sox, some AA pitching to the Marlins, Castro to the Brewers.

They have Diaz or Hiura to move in @ 2nd..no chance they make a play for Castro.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:37 pm 

They have so many options.

Its interesting after the Cubs got Yu the National baseball media put the Cubs back as favorites. I dont know about that. If they're favorites it's not by much. It'll be an interesting year. And don't count out the cards.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:13 am 

HawaiiYou wrote:

Its interesting after the Cubs got Yu the National baseball media put the Cubs back as favorites. I dont know about that. If they're favorites it's not by much. It'll be an interesting year. And don't count out the cards.

Favorites for what?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:01 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

Favorites for what?

NL Central

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:45 am 

pizza_Place: John's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
No. When Ellsbury came up, he played. Almora is a platoon player. The Cubs know it. That's why they're using him that way and why they got Jon Jay and now Peter Bourjos.

I'm sorry you're so upset your team has a shitty outfield. Maybe they can win in spite of it. Shouldn't you be celebrating the acquisition of Yu Darvish (10-12, 3.86) instead of crying to me?

After not making the Cubs opening day roster, Bourjos is signing on with the Braves. Another swing and miss for Cowboy Joe.
https://www.mlb.com/braves/news/braves- ... -269668146

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next