It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:35 am 

https://chicago.suntimes.com/entertainment/smashing-pumpkins-billy-corgan-united-center-chicago-music/

"and chided fans for leaving towards the encore as the clock was nearing midnight, comparing them to Cubs fans. Spoken like a true Chicagoan."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:57 am 

I'm sure Eddie Vedder would never upset you like that even when talking in private with John Cusak.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:34 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
It was a 3 hour concert...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha
I thought that Sun-Times page was going to set my computer on fire, I couldn't get the article to load.
Yeah, Billy's line was pretty funny. It was right before "Muzzle", he was thanking everyone for their support and
for coming out tonight, even those of you who are leaving right now....I guess you didn't learn anything from last night's Cubs game.

We stayed for the first 1/2 of Solara and then hit the exits.
It was a great show.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:38 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I figured they did well in Chicago but did their tour ever start selling better. There were some comments it was pretty bad when sales were started.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Perhaps his encore sucked.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:57 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:

It was directly before they played Muzzle, one of their greatest songs.
So, you're partly right, because Solara does pretty much suck, but the people leaving at the time he said it were in the hallways or leaving the building as they roared through Muzzle.

Edit: roared, not 'roarded'.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:00 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:

My guy said the same thing.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:02 pm 

pittmike wrote:
I figured they did well in Chicago but did their tour ever start selling better. There were some comments it was pretty bad when sales were started.

MSG was apparently sold out.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
shirtless driver wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:

It was directly before they played Muzzle, one of their greatest songs.
So, you're partly right, because Solara does pretty much suck, but the people leaving at the time he said it were in the hallways or leaving the building as they roared through Muzzle.

I'm not gonna lie...I laughed when he said it...then I bailed after Muzzle...I like Solara, but I didn't need to see it live, and I don't give a shit about Baby Mine

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:03 pm 

shirtless driver wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Yeah I was looking at some of the numbers online. They did really well in a few places and mostly not so good elsewhere.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:19 pm 

Yeah, it's kind of baffling, the whole thing.
I understand wanting to play the UC, MSG, The Forum in LA, you know, the prestige arenas in the 3 biggest markets,
but highest capacity arenas in places like KC, OKC, Tampa and Omaha seemed pretty lofty at the time, and the box office probably
reflected that. I was actually kind of disappointed in the visual aspect of the show. I read that this was supposed to be SP most ambitious
stage setup/show in their history, and honestly, the opening band Metric had more of a light show happening than SP did.
The video screens were cool, but it's not like that stage config wouldn't fit in large theaters or 6-7K arenas.
I think the whole idea was overly optimistic at the time and I wrote that here. I just know that I paid just over $100 for 2 seats at the dead opposite endzone of the stadium, and a parking pass that put us maybe 200 feet from the UC doors. The seats weren't great, but the view was completely unobstructed, and between Metric's set and SP, that was 3.5 hours+ of ROCK VALUE at $54 per person.
The people who saw this tour definitely got their money's worth and MORE, and I hope that means more to Billy etc then unsold seats.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
pittmike wrote:
shirtless driver wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Yeah I was looking at some of the numbers online. They did really well in a few places and mostly not so good elsewhere.

Not that popular of a band.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:35 pm 

Solid take.
:roll:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:38 pm 

I know you love them Doug but you’d be shocked to see the top 100 grossing acts this year.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
It was 3/4 of the Smashing Pumpkins and about 10 years after the loudest reunion cries died out. They have the diehard fans they will never lose...but I don't think these are tickets picked up by more casual rock fans.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:56 pm 

Eaglo Jeff wrote:
It's not even October yet :eye:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:58 pm 

IMU wrote:
It was 3/4 of the Smashing Pumpkins and about 10 years after the loudest reunion cries died out. They have the diehard fans they will never lose...but I don't think these are tickets picked up by more casual rock fans.

Let's be honest...no one gave a shit about Darcy not being there.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:01 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
IMU wrote:

But to a call it an original lineup reunion is 100% bullshit.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:03 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
IMU wrote:

Weeeeellll...I mean, realistically, Billy and Jimmy played like 95% of Siamese Dream, so...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:22 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
IMU wrote:

yeah, because umm....they didn't call it an original lineup reunion in the first place?
Any idiot could glean from published information that this was a return to their core, i.e. - their peak creative period, which was their first 5 albums. James played on those albums, and Jeff Schroeder has played on everything since, i.e. their lesser creative period.
D'Arcy is only relevant in the fact that it's a long played out public soap opera that only NIMBY blind D'Arcy loyalists gave a shit about.
But I guess you're not just 'any idiot'.
The people wanting Steven and Izzy in on the last G N R tour had a legitimate gripe, but Boyd is right. No one truly misses D'Arcy's virtuosic bass playing or backup vox. She's had her chances....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:25 pm 

shirtless driver wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
IMU wrote:

yeah, because umm....they didn't call it an original lineup reunion in the first place?
Any idiot could glean from published information that this was a return to their core, i.e. - their peak creative period, which was their first 5 albums. James played on those albums, and Jeff Schroeder has played on everything since, i.e. their lesser creative period.
D'Arcy is only relevant in the fact that it's a long played out public soap opera that only NIMBY blind D'Arcy loyalists gave a shit about.
The people wanting Steven and Izzy in on the last G N R tour had a legitimate gripe, but Boyd is right. No one truly misses D'Arcy's virtuosic bass playing or backup vox. She's had her chances....

And Katie Cole's harmonies were good.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:30 pm 

My 2 biggest gripes from Monday night involved one of the frat bros in front of me pounding every mixed drink his bro brought him back from the Goose Island bar then flailing his arms around every time a chorus got hit, and the dudebro behind me that brought his completely disinterested girlfriend with who asked if it was over after every song starting with Rocket (song 2).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:31 pm 

shirtless driver wrote:

I'm not the idiot who paid to park at the United Center.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:59 pm 

oh man, I'm torched.
I'm so pathetic for spending $27 for piece of mind when we were running late, pulled right in and practically walked right into our gate from the car. Ya got me. :roll:
Rather spend that money on parking than on 2 fuckin Bud Lights that would've been gone before Metric finished playing their 3rd song.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
sjboyd0137 wrote:
My 2 biggest gripes from Monday night involved one of the frat bros in front of me pounding every mixed drink his bro brought him back from the Goose Island bar then flailing his arms around every time a chorus got hit, and the dudebro behind me that brought his completely disinterested girlfriend with who asked if it was over after every song starting with Rocket (song 2).

So the casuals did go. Nevermind.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:04 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:

Yeah, we were in seats 3&4 in our row, so everytime the millennial frat douche and his girl got up to get another 312, they had to come our way.....we stood up and sat down at least 10 times total just for those 2 people. And they left way earlier than the encore - probably within the first 90 minutes......
Someone behind me kept kicking my seat all night, but I tried to ignore it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:06 pm 

shirtless driver wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:

Yeah, we were in seats 3&4 in our row, so everytime the millennial frat douche and his girl got up to get another 312, they had to come our way.....we stood up and sat down at least 10 times total just for those 2 people. And they left way earlier than the encore - probably within the first 90 minutes......

It must have been an exciting show if you were sitting the whole time.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:10 pm 

I see what you're doing.
Find something else to do.
The only reason to stand during a 3 hour show is if someone is standing directly in front of you and you can't see the stage.
My view was unobstructed, and I sat, along with all the other 40+something sheeple in the 300 level.

Asswipe.
:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:13 pm 

shirtless driver wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:

I think my section was standing about 90% of the time...I went to take a leak and grab a beer right after Blew Away...got back and everyone took a seat until Mayonaise...then stood for the balance from there.