It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 84 Cubs playoff question
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:10 am 

Been watching the MLB network thing on different baseball seasons. Great stuff btw. Just finished the 84 season.

In the playoff series with the Padres why wasn't the final game in that series back at Wrigley? Game 1 and 2 were at Wrigley. Games 3, 4 and 5 were at SD?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:28 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
RFDC wrote:
Been watching the MLB network thing on different baseball seasons. Great stuff btw. Just finished the 84 season.

In the playoff series with the Padres why wasn't the final game in that series back at Wrigley? Game 1 and 2 were at Wrigley. Games 3, 4 and 5 were at SD?

That's the way they did it--they rotated the 2-3 split each year, not based on record.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:33 am 

pizza_Place: It's gone
No it was 2-3. Lot of urban legend thru the years , even back during the NLCS in 1984, saying the Cubs lost the game 5 at home because they didnt have lights.

More interesting was if they did make the WS. There were rumors that some of the Cubs home games would be played at Comiskey at night.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:35 am 

HawaiiYou wrote:
No it was 2-3. Lot of urban legend thru the years , even back during the NLCS in 1984, saying the Cubs lost the game 5 at home because they didnt have lights.

More interesting was if they did make the WS. There were rumors that some of the Cubs home games would be played at Comiskey at night.

I have heard that their home games would have been at St Louis

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:35 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
No, the Cubs were being made to play at Busch Stadium if necessary. The leagues were still separate like that then.

EDIT: RFDC beat me to it

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:37 am 

That was a strange team. The Padres, I mean. Strange people on that team.

Ha: Look at that roster. Not the most huggable bunch: Some druggies, Steve Garvey, the Goose, a John Bircher, tough-luck pitcher Andy Hawkins, the future-one-armed Dave Dravecky, the lovable Kevin McReynolds, someone with the last name of Gwosdz, and then Tony Gwynn.

Last edited by tommy on Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:42 am 

really. I always had heard Comiskey. Makes sense then at STL for the NL. Was that official? I think Cubs fans would have been in an uproar. Was the Tribune company agreeable too?

Padres - ya like half that team is dead right. 3 of their pitchers were like in the KKK too. Steve Garvey - father of America. We still should have beat them.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:45 am 

Sort of mixing threads here, but speaking on the 84 cubs, I was looking around the internet to see how much a 84 jersey goes for these days.

Couldn't believe it but $300! This isn't even a jersey from 1984. It's just a replica! Who can afford these things?

https://www.mitchellandness.com/ryne-sa ... icago-cubs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:48 am 

The baseball gods kept the Cubs out of the World Series that year. The Cubs in the Series with no games at Wrigley would be a crime. And on top of that playing in that god awful circle piece of trash on astroturf in St Louis?!!?!

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:49 am 

HawaiiYou wrote:
really. I always had heard Comiskey. Makes sense then at STL for the NL. Was that official? I think Cubs fans would have been in an uproar. Was the Tribune company agreeable too?

Padres - ya like half that team is dead right. 3 of their pitchers were like in the KKK too. Steve Garvey - father of America. We still should have beat them.

Cubs were the better (and much more likable) team, and they earned the shot to have Game 5 at home, but the rules said otherwise.

Yeah, Eric Show was eventually a John Bircher (or some such thing).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:52 am 

RFDC wrote:
The baseball gods kept the Cubs out of the World Series that year. The Cubs in the Series with no games at Wrigley would be a crime. And on top of that playing in that god awful circle piece of trash on astroturf in St Louis?!!?!

Watching games played in St. Louis on tv was an ugly experience.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:55 am 

For 32 years i thought we would have lost to the Tigers in the WS if he had made it. But last year I was listening to one of Murph's shows and he had a WHAT IF about the 84 cubs making the WS. In his scenario, Cubs beat the Tigers in the WS and he makes some compelling arguments. It changed my mind.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:56 am 

HawaiiYou wrote:
For 32 years i thought we would have lost to the Tigers in the WS if he had made it. But last year I was listening to one of Murph's shows and he had a WHAT IF about the 84 cubs making the WS. In his scenario, Cubs beat the Tigers in the WS and he makes some compelling arguments. It changed my mind.

Tigers were a team of destiny. I dont think anyone was beating them that year.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:58 am 

it's coming back to me slowly.

Ok, the whole Comiskey thing IF I remember correctly was proposed by Harold Washington so to keep the World Series in Chicago.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:59 am 

RFDC wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

Ya you're right. i remember watching that series back then and saying to myself we wouldn't have beat these guys.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:00 am 

HawaiiYou wrote:
it's coming back to me slowly.

Ok, the whole Comiskey thing IF I remember correctly was proposed by Harold Washington so to keep the World Series in Chicago.

I would hope they would have tried to do something.

Comiskey would be a no brainer. A ballpark with character on natural grass and you know....actually IN Chicago. Way better than that trash heap in St Louis.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:04 am 

RFDC wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

Probably not. Their starting pitching fell off really badly in the second half, but their relievers carried them through. Had a lot of left-handed bats. Cubs had a great lineup, too, though.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:07 am 

HawaiiYou wrote:
RFDC wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

Ya you're right. i remember watching that series back then and saying to myself we wouldn't have beat these guys.

They would have hit the Cubs pretty good, but the opposite is true, too.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:19 am 

The NLCS was a 2-3 format and the NL East was supposed to host the first two games of the LCS that year, so Wrigley field made no difference.

However, the NL was supposed to host games 1,2,6 and 7 of the World Series. These games would have fallen on a weekday so they were scheduled as night games. If the Cubs had won the NL then it would have been switched and the Tigers would have hosted games 1,2,6 and 7 and the Cubs would have instead hosted games 3,4 and 5. Games 4 and 5 were Saturday and Sunday games and were already afternoon games so it really wouldn't have made a difference. I think game 3 was scheduled as a night game so that would have been the only game that would have had a significant change in start time.

I believe the interesting part of this was that NBC broadcasted the '84 World Series and of course they also had NFL football. I believe the network was going to ask the NFL to start their 12:00 games a half hour early so a potential Game 5 could start maybe at three, to avoid a game 5 being called on the account of darkness.

I think in the following years the Cubs, if they would have made the playoffs would have played in St. Louis. The NL/AL rivalry was stronger then and i don't think the NL office would have liked their champion playing "home" games in an AL park

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:27 am 

I also believe '84 was the last time a World Series day game was scheduled, from '85 on all WS games were night games and the networks weren't going to go thru hoops to help accommodate the cubs.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:27 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
enigma wrote:
I think in the following years the Cubs, if they would have made the playoffs would have played in St. Louis. The NL/AL rivalry was stronger then and i don't think the NL office would have liked their champion playing "home" games in an AL park

That was the threat that was used to support the installation of lights. I doubt such threat would have actually been carried out. It would have looked like the ATF trying to confiscate AR-15s.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:35 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
enigma wrote:

That was the threat that was used to support the installation of lights. I doubt such threat would have actually been carried out. It would have looked like the ATF trying to confiscate AR-15s.

Considering that the Cubs were built for the cozy confines and the grass of Wrigley and Busch Stadium was totally opposite, I do wonder if push came to shove whether the Cubs would have actually played in St Louis. I know there was talk of putting up temporary lights in Wrigley for the playoffs but i don't think the Cubs would have gone for that. It would have torpedoed their hopes of getting lights for regular season games (since the threat of moving postseason games would have been eliminated).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:42 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Busch Stadium in the '80s. Man, am I ever glad baseball is rid of Astroturf.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:13 pm 

'83 Sox vs. '84 Cubs?

In a twenty game series, I'm going with the Sox. I see a 19-0-1 record.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:14 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
'2016

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Caseys
enigma wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
enigma wrote:

Considering that the Cubs were built for the cozy confines and the grass of Wrigley and Busch Stadium was totally opposite, I do wonder if push came to shove whether the Cubs would have actually played in St Louis. I know there was talk of putting up temporary lights in Wrigley for the playoffs but i don't think the Cubs would have gone for that. It would have torpedoed their hopes of getting lights for regular season games (since the threat of moving postseason games would have been eliminated).

They played damn well at Busch against the Cardinals especially the last series which I attended as a 19 year old.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
RFDC wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

Correct, and at the time I took that as a bit of solace after Game 5 ended ... that the Tigers were just gonna beat the balls off whoever went up against them.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:14 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
HawaiiYou wrote:

Murph is a total fucking idiot.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:59 pm 

Scooter wrote:
enigma wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
enigma wrote:

They played damn well at Busch against the Cardinals especially the last series which I attended as a 19 year old.

Ya they hit a bit of a skid late in the final weeks there. Mainly because they were doing interviews about being champs w/ all the media before they actually won it it caused them to not play as well on the field. But that roadtrip to STL got them back on track and they wrapped it up in Pittsburgh. HOLY COW!

People tend to forget that 1984 is what started the whole modern Cubdom we see still going today. Before 84, the cubs were in the dumps, the ballpark was not romanticized , and Wrigleyville was known as a sketchy white trash neighborhood with literally wild dogs on the loose. After 84, the Tribune company, WGN, Budweiser, the city saw how much $$$$ they could make off the ballpark and neighborhood. It became prime real estate yuppieville, hallowed grounds, and a place to not watch a ballgame but have a good time.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:40 pm 
1000 CLUB

Darkside wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

Murph is a total fucking idiot.

That Tigers team was a great team. What argument could he have made when that Cubs got beat by the Padres? And the Tigers beat the Padres 4-1 in that World Series.