It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 360 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Passero's
That Elisa Manaken or whatever is unbelievable pussy. So sexy. And sexy legs.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
I thought Marquee was going to be Cubs-centric. Instead, on tonight’s Xfinity guide, I see it’s tennis until 11pm, then kickboxing, then infomercials for cordless irons and inflammation relief and other garbage. The next Cubs content is from 1130 am until noon (Best of Cubs YouTube), and then back to garbage. Looks like about an hour of Cubs content per day. What a joke.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:10 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Jaw Breaker wrote:
I thought Marquee was going to be Cubs-centric. Instead, on tonight’s Xfinity guide, I see it’s tennis until 11pm, then kickboxing, then infomercials for cordless irons and inflammation relief and other garbage. The next Cubs content is from 1130 am until noon (Best of Cubs YouTube), and then back to garbage. Looks like about an hour of Cubs content per day. What a joke.

It's not a cash cow to fund an extremely large payroll?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:12 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Jaw Breaker wrote:

as everyone can see Marquee is a POS ignorantly planned idea. When the boss from NY comes in with a 'fuck you chicago hillbillies, you dont know shit, i'm from the big city, do as I say or youre gone' attitude without understanding or even trying to understand the fanbase or culture, this is what you get.

But jokes on them. Rickett's still thinks this is a great idea and everything is going well.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:19 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Jaw Breaker wrote:
The next Cubs content is from 1130 am until noon (Best of Cubs YouTube)

All cable subscribers are made to pay for "The Best of Cubs YouTube"? You can watch it for free! ON YOUTUBE! What a fucking grift.

I think the plan was be all-Cubs until they swung open the door of the vault and Geraldoly discovered that apparently the only game footage the Cubs have is Kerry Wood striking out 20 and the clip of Ernie Banks hitting his 500th home run. (Yes, I used "Geraldo" as an adverb. Stop me.) Add covid gumming up the works and they were never able to produce new "lifestyle programming" like Ryan Dempster Does Funny Voices or Len Kasper Ranks Weezer Albums, so they had to go to Plan B, which was picking up content from the rest of the Sinclair family of channels, like when an FSN has hours to fill so they pipe in Kent Hrbek Goes Fishing from the Minnesota FSN.

It was always doomed to be like this and if I knew the words to search for I could probably find the predictions here. Even the mighty YES Network, where all the announcers wear suits without bitching out to go do radio for the Mets, had to run like five hours of Mike & The Mad Dog simulcasts to fill time, and they're the New York Yankees, the most successful team in the biggest media market. What were the Cubs ever really going to do with their own channel? Of course it would be overflow from The Tennis Channel and infomercials for promissory-note instructional DVDs. Cable TV is bullshit.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:19 pm 

HawaiiYou wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

as everyone can see Marquee is a POS ignorantly planned idea. When the boss from NY comes in with a 'fuck you chicago hillbillies, you dont know shit, i'm from the big city, do as I say or youre gone' attitude without understanding or even trying to understand the fanbase or culture, this is what you get.

But jokes on them. Rickett's still thinks this is a great idea and everything is going well.

:lol: Culture

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
SportsNet LA proved this was a stupid idea
And they could have just run hours of Vin Scully telling stories on a loop and gotten ratings. Except that most of LA can't even get the fucking channel.

If I was still living in Chicago, I don't think I'd watch either team on cable, unless I was visiting my dad because he gets NBCSN.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Curious Hair wrote:
I think the plan was be all-Cubs until they swung open the door of the vault and Geraldoly discovered that apparently the only game footage the Cubs have is Kerry Wood striking out 20 and the clip of Ernie Banks hitting his 500th home run. (Yes, I used "Geraldo" as an adverb. Stop me.)

:lol: Love it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:27 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:

the idea was it is cheaper to have your own network to broadcast your own team. and the 2nd point is tennis, kick boxing, and infomercials draw more revenue during off-game hours than regurgitated cubs shit that nobody cares about.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:29 pm 

They should at least have cut a deal to show the Australian Baseball League games this winter. They start at 3am Chicago time. Only problem is that they are about at the level of high school broadcasts.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:30 pm 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
They should at least have cut a deal to show the Australian Baseball League games this winter. They start at 3am Chicago time. Only problem is that they are about at the level of high school broadcasts.

i dont know man. if im paying for a cubs channel i don't want to see Aussie baseball.

what happened to all these new documentaries and world class level production they promised? It was just smoke up everyone's asses.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:37 am 

HawaiiYou wrote:

i dont know man. if im paying for a cubs channel i don't want to see Aussie baseball.

what happened to all these new documentaries and world class level production they promised? It was just smoke up everyone's asses.

Did you think there are 365 ex-Cubs who deserve a 60 minute retrospective? That would be an insane amount of original programming and only cover 4% of the day.

Anybody who could do math realized that Marquee at 7am on a Tuesday wasn't going to be any better than a hunting and fishing channel at 7am on a Tuesday.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:56 am 

The Lombardi Line on sat mornings before college football has been good.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:35 am 

HawaiiYou wrote:

Did you think there are 365 ex-Cubs who deserve a 60 minute retrospective? That would be an insane amount of original programming and only cover 4% of the day.

Anybody who could do math realized that Marquee at 7am on a Tuesday wasn't going to be any better than a hunting and fishing channel at 7am on a Tuesday.

What do the yankess and dodgers networks do? they have all this other stuff like aussie baseball and infomercials?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:30 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Marquee was doomed the minute the other 3 RSN televised teams re-upped with NBC.

I remember IMU trying to convince me that a weekly half hour Bears show would be enough to get people to watch this shitty channel when there were no Cubs games. What a fucking clown.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:25 am 

They should just become the new-old WGN. Cub fans eat nostalgia for breakfast. They would tune in to Ray Rayner re runs in the morning and the Andy Griffith show at noon during the off season.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:05 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Marquee was doomed the minute the other 3 RSN televised teams re-upped with NBC.

The Blackhawks, specifically. I think they really thought they could use McDonough to split up the Bulls and Hawks and get winter programming. The Rickettses, as they seem to do a lot, miscalculated.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:14 pm 

how hard is this shit? in the offseason, just fucking replay entire games from the past. Show a week of a 3/4 game series from 1984 or 1969 , etc...

Do they own those rights or does WGN own them?

When you come off as complete assholes from day 1 w/ this network, do you think people will flock to you?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
HawaiiYou wrote:
how hard is this shit? in the offseason, just fucking replay entire games from the past. Show a week of a 3/4 game series from 1984 or 1969 , etc...

Do they own those rights or does WGN own them?

When you come off as complete assholes from day 1 w/ this network, do you think people will flock to you?

It's amazing the lack of old Cub games on the network.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:27 pm 

I don't watch NEW Cub games and I have no idea if Len Kasper is any good or not. Me and 35% of Chicagoland baseball fans. This isn't NY or LA where they have twice the population and where in YES' case, is available in several parts of the country. Every Cubbie Wubbie has overestimated their appeal, including Ricketts. Now that the franchise has LOST it's cuddly mystique, it's left with the same expectations all the major markets have. All of a sudden, those little kid pajama uniforms aren't so cute when you score 1 run a game.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:29 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Just cancelled this shit today

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
if marquee isnt going to make them money couldnt it be disbanded rather quickly without much lost $$ and they could still fetch a decent price for their broadcast rights?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:39 pm 

billypootons wrote:
if marquee isnt going to make them money couldnt it be disbanded rather quickly without much lost $$ and they could still fetch a decent price for their broadcast rights?

they can do that but then someone would need to get blamed and the cubs organization would lose face and get embarrassed.

For a guy like Ricketts admitting any kind of defeat is the worst thing. so they will continue to waste money on it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:48 pm 

pizza_Place: joes pizza
For some reasom they are showing Ga Tech vs UNC tomorrow night

They need to hey the John Gillespie fishing show

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:01 pm 
1000 CLUB

I know the Yankees YES network also has rights to the Brooklyn Nets. So that's how they make some money in the offseason.

That's the funny thing about Tom. He can't buy rights to the Bulls. Jerry is not selling his rights to Tom. Plus Jerry owns a portion of comcast anyway. So all he has is the Blackhawks to buy. And unless they are great, nobody gives a shit about the Blackhawks.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:21 pm 

At one time the Yankees also owned the Nets and Devils and the plan was to build YES around all three of them, the Devils having been a brand almost worth building around at the time, but the Yankees sold both of the Jersey teams sometime in the mid-2000s. I think there was always tension between the Yankees and Nets (Lou Lamoriello was allowed to run the Devils as a de facto owner) because it was a "merger" that wasn't really a merger, but clearly whoever owns the Nets this week doesn't mind using the Yankees' channel now. Point is, you can't build an RSN around just one team. Even the Celtics RSN that has passed through a hundred brands was launched as a joint production of the Celtics and the Hartford Whalers.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:26 pm 

So why don't they show more old games? Does WGN own most of them?

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:31 pm 
1000 CLUB

conns7901 wrote:

I don't think old games would move the meters much. But I guess it's better than the crap they show.

I hear commercials on the SCORE that they replay the Bears games on Wednesdays. I laugh at that. People have DVRs!!!! I know I DVR every game. We don't need to watch it on their schedule with commercials when we can FF through them.

In that same commercial on the SCORE they say they have a Bears show with Hampton and Thayer. I'm not interested in that.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:54 pm 

conns7901 wrote:

I'm guessing WGN wiped the tapes, similar to how a lot of game shows and soap operas from the '60s and '70s are lost forever. They didn't anticipate a market for re-airing lots of games and only kept a handful.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:04 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

I'm guessing WGN wiped the tapes, similar to how a lot of game shows and soap operas from the '60s and '70s are lost forever. They didn't anticipate a market for re-airing lots of games and only kept a handful.

im sure WGN has tapes. They just probably don't tell Marquee about it or told them to fuck off.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 360 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next