It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:27 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Quote:
Simulation studies have repeatedly shown that the order in which players bat in the lineup has minimal impact on the team’s runs scored

Which is why it makes sense to just get your best hitters the most at-bats.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:31 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Quote:
Simulation studies have repeatedly shown that the order in which players bat in the lineup has minimal impact on the team’s runs scored

Which is why it makes sense to just get your best hitters the most at-bats.

Yeah, it's hard to imagine that a lineup ranked by descending OPS would score the same as one ordered by ascending OPS. But maybe it's one of those mathematical fallacies we just assume to be true. Or maybe it's true but statistically insignificant (let's say 2.70 runs a game vs 2.68 runs in that extreme example).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:36 am 

pizza_Place: What??
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
One thing is for sure. The leadoff has no runners on base at least once a game. Guaranteed.

True. Another thing is for sure. The three or four hitter can't hit a solo walkoff in the ninth if the the lesser hitter batting in front of him makes the last out.

Let's quit fucking around. How many more PAs does a lead off get than the #3? Then how many more men are on base for the #3 as opposed to the leadoff? How many times does the leadoff come up in the 9th and the #3 does not? I think on the last question you're talking about a handful of times vs a guaranteed 162 PAs throughout the year with no one on.

If you are going to convince the world that Babe Ruth should have lead off every game, you got to have the data to back it up. One of the reasons for the 1st inning 1,2,3 "construction" is they ALL get a 1st inning AB. It's also the reason TB had the idea of an "opener". Because of that construction.

5 PAs don't win games. 3 run homers win games.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:56 am 
Site Admin

Nardi wrote:
If you are going to convince the world that Babe Ruth should have lead off every game, you got to have the data to back it up.

It's funny that you say that. I played in a fantasy league using retired/dead guys that created a simulation. I drafted Ruth. When I allowed the computer to set the batting order it invariably batted him leadoff.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:57 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
If you are going to convince the world that Babe Ruth should have lead off every game, you got to have the data to back it up.

It's funny that you say that. I played in a fantasy league using retired/dead guys that created a simulation. I drafted Ruth. When I allowed the computer to set the batting order it invariably batted him leadoff.

I'm convinced!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:04 am 

Here is The White Sox lineup tonight
Seby Zavala C
Jose Abreu 1B
Andrew Vaughn DH
Danny Mendick 2B
Tim Anderson SS
Jake Burger 3B
Luis Robert CF
Eloy Jimenez LF
Gavin Sheets RF

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:21 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Who's gonna be all time runner for Mendick?

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:29 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Who's gonna be all time runner for Mendick?

Who cares. He needs the extra AB. .786 OPS. And that's all there is to it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:19 am 
Site Admin

Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:

I'm convinced!

LaRussa thinks he's smarter than the numbers and he's in the Hall of Fame. I can't blame you for thinking you're smarter than the numbers too.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:21 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Jorr, you disagree with everybody on baseball topics. I mean everyone. You always got those contrarian views. It's awesome. :lol:

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:49 am 

Darkside wrote:
Jorr, you disagree with everybody on baseball topics. I mean everyone. You always got those contrarian views. It's awesome. :lol:

My favorite is when he jumps in the basketball threads to share his strange views. :lol:

It is pretty amazing that of all the core guys the Cubs had that Schwarber is doing the best.

I still have my Schwarber Cubs jersey. I miss him. :(

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:12 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:

I'm convinced!

LaRussa thinks he's smarter than the numbers and he's in the Hall of Fame. I can't blame you for thinking you're smarter than the numbers too.

So when will you give me the numbers? All I've been told is to construct the lineup through OPS because of PAs. I give zero shits about 4-9. Go OPS all day with those fuckers. Because everything after the 1st inning is random. 75% of the 1-3 construction is the 1st inning. The other 25% is something we can debate. But I believe you are making that random 25% molehill into a mountain. Now go figure out how many times the leadoff guy comes up in the 9th inning and the #3 doesn't vs the guaranteed 162 times the lead off man comes up in the 1st inning and the #3 guaranteed to hit. They are both one inning, right?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:20 am 
Site Admin

Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:

I'm convinced!

So when will you give me the numbers? All I've been told is to construct the lineup through OPS because of PAs. I give zero shits about 4-9. Go OPS all day with those fuckers. Because everything after the 1st inning is random. 75% of the 1-3 construction is the 1st inning. The other 25% is something we can debate. But I believe you are making that random 25% molehill into a mountain. Now go figure out how many times the leadoff guy comes up in the 9th inning and the #3 doesn't vs the guaranteed 162 times the lead off man comes up in the 1st inning and the #3 guaranteed to hit. They are both one inning, right?

It's about 30 plate appearances in a season. For a guy like Schwarber that's probably two more homers.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:23 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:

I'm convinced!

It's about 30 plate appearances in a season. For a guy like Schwarber that's probably two more homers.

Well I think the point is that if the high obp guys are 1 and 2 and he's 3rd he's more likely to hit more 2 and 3 run Homer's vs maybe getting 2 more home runs which are more likely to be solo shots.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:29 am 
Site Admin

Darkside wrote:
Well I think the point is that if the high obp guys are 1 and 2 and he's 3rd he's more likely to hit more 2 and 3 run Homer's vs maybe getting 2 more home runs which are more likely to be solo shots.

I don't know why they would be "more likely to be solo shots." Regardless, Schwarber gets on base a lot himself. I'm sure Bryce Harper or Rhys Hoskins can drive him in.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:32 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Darkside wrote:

I don't know why they would be "more likely to be solo shots." Regardless, Schwarber gets on base a lot himself. I'm sure Bryce Harper or Rhys Hoskins can drive him in.

More likely to be solo shots because a minimum of 1 of his 3 or 4 at bats would be leading off. But whatever man this is a weirdo thought experiment so it's really pointless anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:55 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:

I'm convinced!

Ah, but no stats on the leadoff AND NO #3 coming up in the 9th? It's an inning just like the 1st is an inning. So its comparable.

The 9th is random. The 1st isn't. That is the main reason for a 1-3 lineup construction. Please consider the 9 leadoff home runs if instead they were 9 home runs from the 3rd spot. It kinda overwhelms the extra 30 PAs. Unless of course you take the random stance that he wouldn't hit those in the 3 spot and that nobody would be on. Then you're right.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:57 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Darkside wrote:

Regardless, Schwarber can walk at the 3 spot.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:59 am 
Site Admin

Nardi wrote:
Ah, but no stats on the leadoff AND NO #3 coming up in the 9th? It's an inning just like the 1st is an inning. So its comparable.

The 9th is random. The 1st isn't. That is the main reason for a 1-3 lineup construction. Please consider the 9 leadoff home runs if instead they were 9 home runs from the 3rd spot. It kinda overwhelms the extra 30 PAs. Unless of course you take the random stance that he wouldn't hit those in the 3 spot and that nobody would be on. Then you're right.

My stance is I want my best hitter to get the most at-bats. I want my second best hitter to get the second most at-bats. And so on.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:09 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:

My stance is I want my best hitter to get the most at-bats. I want my second best hitter to get the second most at-bats. And so on.

My stance is run producing is real.
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I think it's pretty well proven that the importance of batting order construction is almost as overrated as managers

Not by you. Maybe someone else can.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:16 pm 
Site Admin

Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I think it's pretty well proven that the importance of batting order construction is almost as overrated as managers

No, not be me. By countless simulations.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:45 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

No, not be me. By countless simulations.

Simulations are models. Like climate change simulations. It spits out what you put in. When did you turn into Computer Boy? I've even granted that lineup construction is debatable AFTER the 1st inning. Ill grant you 30 extra PAs is something. But it isn't everything. There is a nuance that algorithms won't pick up. Babe Ruth strolling up to the plate to lead off the first inning is dumb. Not counterintuitive. Not "all this time I thought tradition was correct but it's really not". Dumb, is what it is.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:58 pm 
Site Admin

I'm gonna say it's pretty smart to start 48% of your games with a guy getting on base and about every fourth game or so with a homer.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:04 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I'm gonna say it's pretty smart to start 48% of your games with a guy getting on base and about every fourth game or so with a homer.

Or third AB of the game. IMO, odds are it will be more rewarding.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:47 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
The current Phillies roster shows Bryce Harper has the highest OBP and OPS. He should be leading off with Schwarber batting 3rd :lol:

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:09 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
When Frank Thomas batted leadoff he went 1-1 with a homer and a walk.

He might have hit 800 bombs if he didn't bat 3rd or 4th.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:48 pm 
Site Admin

BigW72 wrote:
The current Phillies roster shows Bryce Harper has the highest OBP and OPS. He should be leading off with Schwarber batting 3rd :lol:

He's hurt though.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
My third favorite Cubs player of all time behind Baez and Kerry Wood.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:44 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
denisdman wrote:
My third favorite Cubs player of all time behind Baez and Kerry Wood.

No Shawon Dunston?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
I liked the meter out in right. My favorite black Cubs player would have to be Andre Dawson. There’s someone who took less (blank check in fact) to play here. Dunston was fine, but I do not recall his personalty coming out much through the media.

I wish I could have seen Fergie play in person.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next