It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 11:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:26 am 

now, we know these busters will all underperform the outrageous contracts they were given. The question is which one will be the biggest millstone around their new team's neck.

I think it will be Schwarbs. He rode a hot streak that didn't really reflect the entirety of his season. His typical numbers are more in line with a guy signing one year deals every year.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:36 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Baez

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:06 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Bryant, guy is soft AF and his swing sucks.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:19 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Baez

absolutely.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:32 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Rockies' Reddit is in mourning about the Bryant signing.

Bryant is going to end up in the IL at least once a year for them. It is a useless signing that won't be enough to make them relevant, he will have to move to 1B halfway through the contract and then just DH the last year or so.

I don't see the Rockies winning more than two playoff games in the next seven years.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:45 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
Rockies' Reddit is in mourning about the Bryant signing.

Bryant is going to end up in the IL at least once a year for them. It is a useless signing that won't be enough to make them relevant, he will have to move to 1B halfway through the contract and then just DH the last year or so.

I don't see the Rockies winning more than two playoff games in the next seven years.

This

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:52 am 

SuperNintendoHjalmarsson wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Baez

absolutely.

I think that playing with Miguel Cabrera this year will be really good for Baez' overall approach to the game. Baez needs a mentor, he didn't really have one in Chicago and definitely not in New York.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:03 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Miguel Cabrera this year

Can't believe that guy keeps on going.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:04 am 

Miguel Cabrera is a walking corpse at this point of his career.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:05 am 

Douchebag wrote:

But he's still likely to chew Baez out in the clubhouse if Baez starts fucking off.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:38 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Douchebag wrote:

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:53 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Douchebag wrote:

But he's still likely to chew Baez out in the clubhouse if Baez starts fucking off.

Maybe....but soon to be 39 years old and pedestrian playing stats....the only way Baez takes anything from him sincerely is if Miggy straight up jacks him in the face. Believe me, I'd put my money on Miggy in that fight, but he'd still have to have that kind of fyre and pashun....not sure that's the case.

I'd pay to see it. I still can't believe Detroit gave Baez that contract :lol:

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Baez needs a mentor, he didn't really have one in Chicago...

He's a 29⅓ year old grown man. And he played with one of the greatest "leaders/mentors/motivators" in the history of organized sports... "The J-Hey Kid."

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:33 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

Frank is back!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:40 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
I don't know if Bryant will ever reach the .290s again but I think he's going to earn all of the money he was just given. Denver is the perfect place for him. It's his vibe. I guess I just enjoy watching him hit -- hope he stays healthy.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:42 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
good dolphin wrote:
now, we know these busters will all underperform the outrageous contracts they were given. The question is which one will be the biggest millstone around their new team's neck.

I think it will be Schwarbs. He rode a hot streak that didn't really reflect the entirety of his season. His typical numbers are more in line with a guy signing one year deals every year.

years ago i broke down babe fucking schwarber's rookie season looking at his stats on a monthly basis and i came to realize that he can be three different players: 1) babe ruth (which he started his rookie season as and sustained for appx 1-2 months, then became again in the 2015 playoffs) aka he hits .320+ 40+ HRs well over 100+ RBI pace and your OPS is well over 1.000 and i'm sure WAR loves you too. then there's 2) he can be a wannabe adam dunn .220 hitting 40HR guy who has that RBI pace drop down to the ~80something range, he did it for another 1-2 months before becoming 3) abject shit, where he maintains that .180-220 avg but the power drops off prodigiously and his RBI output is shit and this balances out his otherwise herculean power #s and ensures he probably isn't going to be a .300 hitter at any point in september-october. he did this for the last 1/+ month/s of the 2015 regular season before the playoffs, when he magically became babe ruth again and got that ball encased on the top of the nu-scoreboard at wrigley and all that shit.

from what i can tell, last year he started off as abject shit schwarber and was that for appx 33%/+ of the season, then he turned into babe ruth schwarber and was that until he got injured for a month+, boston traded for him, he came back as babe fucking schwarber for the rest of the season, then he did appx half of his ill fated playoff run as babe schwarber and then abject shit as i wanna say he ended the playoffs on an 0-15 tear? lord knows the astros got the red sox in the end, as well they should.

so he'll invariably continue to be some hybrid guy who's capable of what he did last year and he can even sustain it for iike 2-3 months too, and he kinda steps up in some playoffs and goes off.... but yeah, at the same time he's too inconsistent to at least sustain babe schwarber alongside the low avg high HR guy to really put up some !!!!! numbers, hence why he never got freddy freeman money or whatever when he was basically the yankees' aaron judge wet dream before they had aaron judge proper.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:46 pm 

I caught the beginning of an interview with a Rockies beat writer, Bryant was signed to primarily play LF. So why would you pay Bryant that much just to be a LF?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:21 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
I caught the beginning of an interview with a Rockies beat writer, Bryant was signed to primarily play LF. So why would you pay Bryant that much just to be a LF?

because you're suckass colorado and you want to give the mile high brethern reason to go to the damn ballpark? plus you gotta look at it the other way around: what does it tell you about kris bryant that he wants to try and be the guy on the worst team in the NL west for most of his contract? maybe he figures the light colorado air will jack up his power #s and it has been proven time and time again that you can GTFO of colorado so he figures he takes the max $$$ and eventually gets to go for world championship #2 in appx 3yrs? idk. but i reckon the kris bryant market wasn't hot as it would have been before covidball in 2020 and that's a damn shame for someone stacking multigenerational wealth before he has to retire by age 35 =P

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:28 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Lets see :

Rizzo - he will give it his all but sometimes his body won't let him. And he's a good clubhouse guy from what I've heard.

Bryant - no pressure with the rockies. He takes some days off for a broken pinky fingernail nobody will give a shit.

Schwarber - he proved last year with BoSox he can be a star in this league. He'll be ok.

Baez - maybe this guy is the right answer. If he doesn't change his ways and has those long streaks of undisciplined hitting, that will piss off a lot of his teammates. Javi never slacks though on the field. And when he's on, he's incredible.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:33 pm 

sinicalypse wrote:

because you're suckass colorado and you want to give the mile high brethern reason to go to the damn ballpark? plus you gotta look at it the other way around: what does it tell you about kris bryant that he wants to try and be the guy on the worst team in the NL west for most of his contract? maybe he figures the light colorado air will jack up his power #s and it has been proven time and time again that you can GTFO of colorado so he figures he takes the max $$$ and eventually gets to go for world championship #2 in appx 3yrs? idk. but i reckon the kris bryant market wasn't hot as it would have been before covidball in 2020 and that's a damn shame for someone stacking multigenerational wealth before he has to retire by age 35 =P

He probably couldn't have gotten more than 5/115 anywhere else. Especially if scouts think his 3B days are over.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:57 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Baez

absolutely.

I would agree. He strikes me as the type of guy who is going to lose it overnight, a la Andruw Jones.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Baez. He is as much and entertainer as he is an athlete and he needs that big stage to thrive. He is going to hate Detroit. I do like that Amir Garrett has followed him to the AL Central so they can continue their rivalry.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:01 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
sinicalypse wrote:

He probably couldn't have gotten more than 5/115 anywhere else. Especially if scouts think his 3B days are over.

I don't think we've seen anything indicating his 3B days are over. Agreed, though, Colorado HAD to be the highest bidder. I would have bet he got a bigger contract, but apparantly other GM's see his yearly DL stints as soft as most of us.

One could say he should be pissed at Boras for leaving money on the table, but his stats are his own damn fault.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:18 pm 

The Rockies say he's going to play LF, not 3B.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Warren Newson wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Baez

absolutely.

I would agree. He strikes me as the type of guy who is going to lose it overnight, a la Andruw Jones.

Im still waiting for that left ankle to blow up on his swings with the way he rolls it. He was always fun but so damn frustrating and I also see that cliff in his future.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Bryant had some good years with the Cubs, but MLB is backwards with the pay structure. Most of the best performance per dollar is in the early years of a player's career when the player is under team control. It's all guaranteed money, so the players don't care that they won't be productive at the end of the deal. That's why a shorter deal for more money per year is a better deal for the teams. I never thought the Cubs would hold on to their young nucleus because you don't want to pay them in the future for their past performance when they will statistically decline as they age

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:55 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
gotta be Baez. Rizzo, I think will perform for where he should be in his career and I think Bryant showed last season that he can still hit.

As for why the Rockies gave him that contract, I assume it's to start attracting stars to play there. Nobody that plays there wants to stay, so you have to overpay...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:15 am 

I think it is a tie at this point. The waves of talent came crashing down on the rest of the league.

Is there any doubt their world series win was just a run of fortuitous injuries for their opponents and a good vintage year of HGH for Arrietta?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:34 am 

pizza_Place: John's
You know things are tough this year in the Subdivision when all you can talk about is the 2016 Cubs