It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:51 am 

pizza_Place: Passero's
Stop it.

You gotta give him a chance to work thru it.

He righted the ship and got thru 4 innings.

I dont want a bunch of usless no-namers out there.

I want a WORLD SERIES HERO out there.

He can pitch. His stuff moves. He's just gotta get that command back.

Plus I wanna see how his numbers end up over a full year.

ENOUGH with knee-jerk reactions.

Ride it out!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:40 am 

pizza_Place: John's
He gone

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:42 am 

Dang, Sandy has some pull.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:57 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
DiCaro and Zawaski never forgave him after his "I'll help you pack" tweet following Trump's win (when some in Hollywood threatened to leave the country). "People are hurting, Jake."

They have been waiting for this moment and are happy to dance on his grave.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:19 pm 

whistler wrote:
Stop it.

You gotta give him a chance to work thru it.

He righted the ship and got thru 4 innings.

I dont want a bunch of usless no-namers out there.

I want a WORLD SERIES HERO out there.

He can pitch. His stuff moves. He's just gotta get that command back.

Plus I wanna see how his numbers end up over a full year.

ENOUGH with knee-jerk reactions.

Ride it out!

I think I am going to have to change my choice, 312 is Nostradamus compared to Whistler.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's

What great fans.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
The Cubs can never say goodbye to their stars and heroes in a dignified way. Just look at the fact Sammy has still never been invited back.

Meanwhile all of the Sox alumni stop by all the time. Even Ozzie (who left fighting with the GM and Senior VP) is back at the ballpark and around the team.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:37 pm 
100000 CLUB

Jaw Breaker wrote:
DiCaro and Zawaski never forgave him after his "I'll help you pack" tweet following Trump's win (when some in Hollywood threatened to leave the country). "People are hurting, Jake."

They have been waiting for this moment and are happy to dance on his grave.
Yup. Fucking tool. He's GONE because he sucks.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:40 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Yeah, I'm sure a "good dude" with a 6.88 ERA would have been palatable

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:45 pm 

Jake is a "bag" because he called out the losers who lied about leaving the country. Jay and Julie are virtuous because they decided to pile on him during the likely end of his professional playing career.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:49 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
The Cubs can never say goodbye to their stars and heroes in a dignified way. Just look at the fact Sammy has still never been invited back.

Meanwhile all of the Sox alumni stop by all the time. Even Ozzie (who left fighting with the GM and Senior VP) is back at the ballpark and around the team.

At age 45, Carlton Fisk likely knew that his Major League career was coming to an end. However, his time in the MLB ended quite abruptly when the Chicago White Sox released Fisk in 1993, marking the end of his career.

Carlton Fisk had quite the storied career with both the Boston Red Sox and Chicago White Sox. He had made eleven All-Star Games, won three Silver Slugger awards, and was the all time leader in games caught and home runs for a catcher. He appeared destined for the Hall of Fame, one of the greatest catchers that ever lived.

However, in 1993, at 45 years of age, Fisk was a shadow of himself. It seemed as though he was holding on strictly to break the record for the most games behind the plate, as he surpassed Bob Boone the day before. With a .189/.228/.245 batting line and only one extra base hit, Fisk was not able to produce any longer.

Even with those struggles, it was still a surprise when the White Sox cut Fisk loose on this day. It was also a bit of a rude awakening with how the news was delivered; being told he was being released in his hotel room in Cleveland while the White Sox were in the midst of a road trip. He was also ordered to fly back to Chicago immediately, by himself, and to turn in his equipment tp the team before heading back.

Those hard feelings that Fisk would have towards the White Sox deepened later that year. Chicago had made the playoffs, and Fisk headed to the locker room to wish his former teammates well. However, he was thrown out of the White Sox clubhouse, furthering his animosity towards the club, which culminated in his choosing a Red Sox cap on his Hall of Fame plague and some pointed words towards owner Jerry Reinsdorf during his inauguration speech.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Was money hungry. Should of have retired after his Phillies fiasco. His being a juicer doubts, and this miserable year will always taint his Cubs legacy. Should of switched sides, and became a sjw to have the Cubs back up against the wall.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:15 pm 
100000 CLUB

Quote:
Hall of Fame catcher Carlton Fisk doesn't know precisely what his duties will be in his new position as a White Sox ambassador, but he said he would have aided manager Ozzie Guillen much sooner if he had wanted to do so.

"If I wanted to do that, I would have done that long before now," Fisk said Thursday, two hours before he was honored in his return to the Sox after retiring in 1993. "The individual would have thrown his hat in the ring long before now. I'm getting to be too old (60) to be getting to that stuff every day. I don't envision myself getting back into that schedule. Getting involved? Yes. But an every-day schedule from February to October? I don't think so."

Fisk also disputed the perception that he had bitter feelings toward the Sox.

"I think there is a big misunderstanding here by a lot of people that think I didn't like playing here," Fisk said. "That's just so far from being the truth.

"There are a lot of Sox fans who recognized me. I'll go up to people who are wearing Sox hats and T-shirts and stuff. There have never been any problems."

In a statement, club chairman Jerry Reinsdorf said: "It's a pleasure to have him back in the ballpark. ... Tonight is about our fans and the White Sox welcoming Pudge back to Chicago. ... We believe that you never leave the White Sox family."

The Sox retired Fisk's No. 72 in 1997 and showcased a sculpture in his honor in 2005. Fisk hit 214 of his 376 home runs with the Sox from 1981 to 1993 and was elected to the Hall of Fame in 2000.

Guillen, former Sox general manager Roland Hemond and several of the Sox's coaches who played with Fisk were introduced in pregame ceremonies before former teammates Ron Kittle, Bo Jackson and Fisk entered U.S. Cellular Field on motorcycles through the center-field entrance.

Fisk was 37 when Ozzie Guillen joined the Sox as a rookie in 1985.

"All you have to do is find a muzzle for him sometimes," Fisk said. "That's Ozzie, though. We used to tell Ozzie when he was playing, 'Ozzie, shut up.' But he's bold, he's brassy, he played, he has fun. That's what he has tried to instill in the players, that you can be bold and brassy, but you go out and play.".

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:45 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
I'm hoping Jake wasn't surprised. Because anyone with any sense knew it was coming. It just took a month longer than it should have.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:51 pm 
100000 CLUB

Time heals all wounds. Two or three years after he officially retires, there will be a Jake Day at Wrigley (Sponsored by Flintstone Vitamins) and he'll get a well deserved ovation after he throws out the first pitch.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:17 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Quote:
Hall of Fame catcher Carlton Fisk doesn't know precisely what his duties will be in his new position as a White Sox ambassador, but he said he would have aided manager Ozzie Guillen much sooner if he had wanted to do so.

"If I wanted to do that, I would have done that long before now," Fisk said Thursday, two hours before he was honored in his return to the Sox after retiring in 1993. "The individual would have thrown his hat in the ring long before now. I'm getting to be too old (60) to be getting to that stuff every day. I don't envision myself getting back into that schedule. Getting involved? Yes. But an every-day schedule from February to October? I don't think so."

"I think there is a big misunderstanding here by a lot of people that think I didn't like playing here," Fisk said. "That's just so far from being the truth.

"There are a lot of Sox fans who recognized me. I'll go up to people who are wearing Sox hats and T-shirts and stuff. There have never been any problems."

In a statement, club chairman Jerry Reinsdorf said: "It's a pleasure to have him back in the ballpark. ... Tonight is about our fans and the White Sox welcoming Pudge back to Chicago. ... We believe that you never leave the White Sox family."

The Sox retired Fisk's No. 72 in 1997 and showcased a sculpture in his honor in 2005. Fisk hit 214 of his 376 home runs with the Sox from 1981 to 1993 and was elected to the Hall of Fame in 2000.

Guillen, former Sox general manager Roland Hemond and several of the Sox's coaches who played with Fisk were introduced in pregame ceremonies before former teammates Ron Kittle, Bo Jackson and Fisk entered U.S. Cellular Field on motorcycles through the center-field entrance.

"All you have to do is find a muzzle for him sometimes," Fisk said. "That's Ozzie, though. We used to tell Ozzie when he was playing, 'Ozzie, shut up.' But he's bold, he's brassy, he played, he has fun. That's what he has tried to instill in the players, that you can be bold and brassy, but you go out and play.".

My point was how the White Sox did him dirty on the way out. Not how Fisk sold out for money years later.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Juiced wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Quote:

My point was how the White Sox did him dirty on the way out. Not how Fisk sold out for money years later.

Time between Fisk having issues with the Sox and his return: just a few years

Time between Sammy Sosa leaving and having a return at Wrigley: TBD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:47 pm 

Sammy not coming back isn't because the cubs suck, it's because Sammy was a twat diva bitc4.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:52 pm 
100000 CLUB

That Twat Diva BBitch helped make Wrigleyville the destination that it is today.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:56 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
That Twat Diva BBitch helped make Wrigleyville the destination that it is today.

Maybe. But who cares? Dude wore out his welcome with rigorous fury.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:57 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:

Pretty sure Wrigley would have been just fine without Sammy :lol:

They should invite him back. Not sure what the deal is with Sammy. Must be more to the story then the Chicago sports "media" reports.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Juiced wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Quote:

You had to go back 30 years for an example and then still got owned by Frank immediately. Take the L and keep it moving

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:47 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Kerry Wood, Sandberg, Dawson, Jenkins, Williams, seems like Cub stars come back too. Even Maddux worked in the front office after he retired.

And its not like Frank Thomas enjoyed his way out of Chicago

http://www.espn.com/espn/wire/_/section/mlb/id/2345960

"I've got a lot of respect for Jerry Reinsdorf, I do. But I really thought, the relationship we had over the last 16 years, he would have picked up the phone to say, `Big guy, we're moving forward. We're going somewhere different. We don't know your situation or what's going to happen.' I can live with that, I really can," Thomas said.

"But treating me like some passing-by-player. I've got no respect for that."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:50 pm 

Yeah Oogie is full of shit again.

Lots of former Cubs are on good terms with the team.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:50 pm 

enigma wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Kerry Wood, Sandberg, Dawson, Jenkins, Williams, seems like Cub stars come back too. Even Maddux worked in the front office after he retired.

"I've got a lot of respect for Jerry Reinsdorf, I do. But I really thought, the relationship we had over the last 16 years, he would have picked up the phone to say, `Big guy, we're moving forward. We're going somewhere different. We don't know your situation or what's going to happen.' I can live with that, I really can," Thomas said.

That’s from 2006. He’s had a statue put up, a day in his honor, and he now works for the team since. Really relevant though.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:54 pm 
100000 CLUB

Juiced wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Pretty sure Wrigley would have been just fine without Sammy :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:58 pm 

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
enigma wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

That’s from 2006. He’s had a statue put up, a day in his honor, and he now works for the team since. Really relevant though.

Sure it is.

"the Cubs can never say goodbye to their stars and heroes in a dignified way". Well looks like the White Sox were guilty of that also.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Weren't Score baseball "experts" Spiegel & Levine estatic on the Jake signing back in mid February. Crane Kenney promised a big pitching addition the previous week and the two were giddy on the promise made good.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:23 pm 

vitoscotti wrote:
Weren't Score baseball "experts" Spiegel & Levine estatic on the Jake signing back in mid February. Crane Kenney promised a big pitching addition the previous week and the two were giddy on the promise made good.

Meatpants was definitely happy and assured us that Jake with the Cubs would be better than the Jake who was on the Phillies.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next