pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
I been there before. It gets better

To rock my soul

Post subject: Re: See yal'll in 2024
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
FavreFan wrote:

I think we have to see the effects of the lockout/strike. They should only have $70m in 2022 payroll at the end of this season, which would put them in the market to both extend Contreras and sign two #3 starters, two corner OF, and a Freddy Galvis type SS in case neither Hoerner nor Madrigal can stay healthy.

I'm a firm believer that 200M+ free agent contracts generally do more harm than good. I'll be pleased if they have a $150M payroll next year while keeping as many prospects as possible off the 40-man (and thus not in the union during the work stoppage) and focus on 2023.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

I think we have to see the effects of the lockout/strike. They should only have $70m in 2022 payroll at the end of this season, which would put them in the market to both extend Contreras and sign two #3 starters, two corner OF, and a Freddy Galvis type SS in case neither Hoerner nor Madrigal can stay healthy.

I'm a firm believer that 200M+ free agent contracts generally do more harm than good. I'll be pleased if they have a $150M payroll next year while keeping as many prospects as possible off the 40-man (and thus not in the union during the work stoppage) and focus on 2023.

They acquired a mix of major league ready guys and guys that seem to be two to three years away. If they were just looking to reload I would have thought they would have acquired no one below AA. Conversely, if they were looking to do a full rebuild I would think that they wouldn't have been interested in someone like Madrigal.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:57 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Warren Newson wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

They acquired a mix of major league ready guys and guys that seem to be two to three years away. If they were just looking to reload I would have thought they would have acquired no one below AA. Conversely, if they were looking to do a full rebuild I would think that they wouldn't have been interested in someone like Madrigal.

that's the problem here. There is no guiding philosophy or plan behind the teardown. The Cubs just threw shit against the wall and want to see what sticks. At least when Hahn tore down the team in 2016 and beyond, he had a plan of what he was doing and how he was going to get there. I don't think this team has any sort of roadmap and that just means you'll be perpetually rebuilding.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:09 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

that's the problem here. There is no guiding philosophy or plan behind the teardown. The Cubs just threw shit against the wall and want to see what sticks. At least when Hahn tore down the team in 2016 and beyond, he had a plan of what he was doing and how he was going to get there. I don't think this team has any sort of roadmap and that just means you'll be perpetually rebuilding.

You don't have any idea what the fuck you're talking about.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
There is an obvious plan. Balance out how many guys have to be added to the 40 man in 2022 vs 2023, get maximum development time for the 2023-2024 class during the work stoppage, and clear salary to focus on the outfield and starting pitching this off season.

The weak spot in the organization right now is AA (except for Davis and maybe Morel) and AAA, and with the compression of the minor leagues to a limit 180 guys per organization they are betting on teams having to clear 40 man spaces once everybody comes off the 60 day DLs at the end of the year.

The talent at the Arizona complex, Myrtle Beach, and South Bend increased substantially. They need 15 guys from those three teams to be worth 40-man roster spots by the end of 2023.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:35 pm 

Darkside wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Exactly. That is pretty much every post he makes about the Cubs. He is the one that just throws shit at the wall and wants to see if it sticks

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Darkside wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

What's false about the statement? The Cubs screwed up this teardown because they waited too long to do it and mostly had guys with expiring contracts to part with.

The Cubs needed to go into Winter meetings after 2019 to tear it down when these pieces were cost controlled with time left and had high value. That's how you properly tear a team down to rebuild.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:42 pm 

Hopefully it doesn't take a decade plus like other teams.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Darkside wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

May I redirect you to the Quotes That Sum Up CFMB thread sir?

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:23 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Jed has the Cubs in a very nice position for 2023-4 and beyond. Shithead Tom needs to get daddy to buy out Heyward though. He pissed away way more during the election. Get that motherfucker off the team now.