It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ricketts Letter
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:05 pm 

Terrible. Honestly it is like he asked G Dolphin to draft it as a trolling attempt.

Either Ricketts is the dumbest guy on the planet or he believes all Cubs fans are tied for the dumbest people on earth.

Conventional wisdom would say the latter, but I don’t know at this point. Pendulum might be swinging towards the former.

Post subject: Re: Ricketts Letter
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:18 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
He's like Pace at this point. Just don't say anything.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Baraccos
Peoria Matt wrote:

Would you rather have him overpay for
players who haven't produced in the playoffs for five years?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:30 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
:lol: I gotta find this letter. Sounds like GOLD.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:31 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Post it!

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
The past week has been extremely hard for everyone, especially our team and our fans. It’s impossible to properly prepare for parting with players who personify what it means to be a Cub. While we believe the decisions we took were right for our organization, they were nonetheless difficult to make.

For nearly a decade, we’ve had the joy of watching Anthony Rizzo, Javy Báez and Kris Bryant set franchise records, win countless awards and become World Series champions and amazing ambassadors for our franchise and city. Their individual and collective contributions to our organization cannot be overstated. They are forever etched in Cubs history and the hearts of our fans.

Keeping our core together as long as we did helped create one of the most successful eras of Cubs baseball. It wasn’t without a price, as we traded several promising prospects from 2016-20 in our quest to win another World Series. Over the past few weeks, it became clear it was time to make decisions focused on our future not our past; however, we do not regret pouring everything we had into keeping this championship window open as long as possible.

As David Ross said, the greatest legacy of Anthony, Javy and Kris is they were part of a team that raised expectations. Cubs fans are no longer content with merely making the playoffs. As we reset our team, please know we share your higher expectations. With five postseason appearances in the last six years, including reaching the NLCS three times and our historic World Series championship, sustainable on-field success is the new standard.

We’re focused on replenishing our farm system and reloading our roster to build our next great Cubs team. The recent addition of several young, high-ceiling players, a highly effective player development system and additional financial resources underpin our position of strength.

Your support is critical to our success, and I want to thank you for your incredible loyalty now and through the years. During a season without fans due to COVID-19, you remained committed to our team, and you helped bring life and magic back to the Friendly Confines this year. You were extremely patient as we worked to build a championship roster and restore Wrigley Field. You believed in our plan to win and trusted us to deliver on our commitment to play championship baseball in the greatest ballpark in America. We did, and I assure you, we will do it again soon.

We understand it might take a little time to process these changes as we integrate new players into our already talented roster. If the past tells us anything, watching a remarkable team come together is extremely exciting and rewarding, especially when everyone is aligned on the goal of winning the World Series. Highly anticipated call-ups. Wrigley Field debuts. Immediate big-league impact. It’s all part of what makes our game so special. We’re grateful for the chance to share in that joy and journey together again.

Sincerely,
Tom Ricketts

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:41 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
whitesoxfanfrank wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:

Of course not. I just don't care what he has to say.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:00 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Tom Ricketts wrote:
Highly anticipated call-ups. Wrigley Field debuts. Immediate big-league impact. It’s all part of what makes our game so special. We’re grateful for the chance to share in that joy and journey together again.

Ah, the Corey Patterson Strategy.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:02 am 

Wasn't the whole point of the increased revenue streams to be like the Yankees and Red Sox and not the Rays?

I know he can't say "We have huge debt and are going to just make a ton of money the next 4 years while tanking" but it's just funny.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:20 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Peoria Matt wrote:
whitesoxfanfrank wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:

Of course not. I just don't care what he has to say.

Agreed

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:22 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Brick wrote:
Wasn't the whole point of the increased revenue streams to be like the Yankees and Red Sox and not the Rays?

I know he can't say "We have huge debt and are going to just make a ton of money the next 4 years while tanking" but it's just funny.

It's nuts that the dodgers payroll is 300 million and the Rays are at 72 million.. I'm pulling for Tampa this fall

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:56 am 

whitesoxfanfrank wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:

Cub fans shouldn't be turning their noses up at just a playoff appearance. Such a standard will seem impossible in a few years

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:07 am 

Brick wrote:

I really don't know if they will make a ton of money.

My guess is the debt from real estate purchases/development dwarfs that which cub payroll was causing. That hotel alone has to be bleeding money. I really wish one of the great reporters who loudly parroted the "streams of revenue" argument would do some work on whether that is a Ricketts family holding or a ground lease. Also, the rooftops were purchased for top dollar and were already becoming passe before Covid. They are only allowed to operate about 60 days per year and it appeared less than filled. The network is a disaster.

On the good side, the cub valuation has more than doubled.

Joe Ricketts probably thinks owning the team is good because it keeps the kids he doesn't like away from him in Nebraska

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:15 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
312player wrote:
Brick wrote:

It's nuts that the dodgers payroll is 300 million and the Rays are at 72 million.. I'm pulling for Tampa this fall

I think the full 26-man roster of the Orioles is less than what Heyward makes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:46 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
The only thing wrong with the letter is that it failed to point it the mis-management of funds by Theo after the 2016 World Series.

I understand why people hate Tom Ricketts, but it gutting this team was overdue.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:57 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
From a baseball standpoint, agreed. But dolphin thru all of his trolling isn't wrong. In 2013 and 2014 when the Cubs were losing almost 190 games, the narrative was that once the current rebuild was over the Cubs would be a baseball powerhouse that would spend and do whatever they needed to do to keep winning. Over the last 3-4 years, that has been completely walked back and then some.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:02 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
From a baseball standpoint, agreed. But dolphin thru all of his trolling isn't wrong. In 2013 and 2014 when the Cubs were losing almost 190 games, the narrative was that once the current rebuild was over the Cubs would be a baseball powerhouse that would spend and do whatever they needed to do to keep winning. Over the last 3-4 years, that has been completely walked back and then some.

You're not wrong....that was the narrative. That narrative had the assumption that Theo wouldn't have made an absolute mess of the farm. It was a reckless assumption.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:05 am 
100000 CLUB

Well, Cubs fans bought it hook line and sinker. I'm sure MANY will do so again.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:07 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
They won the World Series.

Nobody cared back then what would happen after. We sold our souls for it. I saw it. I'm good.

Maybe they get it again. Maybe they don't. But, I have a long history of decades of watching them suck. It's not new.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Playoff teams in 15-20 sans 19. I listened my whole life as family and friends said they would never win a title. I almost started to believe that in 2003. They gave us the best Cubs run in my lifetime. Yeah, as GD points out Cubs fans are easy lays. But that team has been fun for a decent length of time.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:16 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
A letter from Joe Ricketts would have been more entertaining.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:30 pm 
100000 CLUB

Maybe JERRY isn't the only cheap baseball owner in town?

Anthony Rizzo wrote:
I'm kind of confused on why, Why say that? It sounds like a bad breakup and the person saying that they’re fine when they’re not fine.

Listen, when it comes to the guys on our team and what we did — Gold Gloves, Silver Sluggers, MVPs, Rookie of the Years, good people — those things cost money. I know it comes down to a business and when you want your cake, and you want to eat it too, that's kind of how it seemed. I think it can all speak for itself that there’s a common denominator that no one signed.

We had such great memories there. To come out on air and say that doesn’t really make sense, but it is what it is.
https://sports.yahoo.com/anthony-rizzo- ... 57374.html

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:10 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Maybe JERRY isn't the only cheap baseball owner in town?

Anthony Rizzo wrote:
I'm kind of confused on why, Why say that? It sounds like a bad breakup and the person saying that they’re fine when they’re not fine.

Listen, when it comes to the guys on our team and what we did — Gold Gloves, Silver Sluggers, MVPs, Rookie of the Years, good people — those things cost money. I know it comes down to a business and when you want your cake, and you want to eat it too, that's kind of how it seemed. I think it can all speak for itself that there’s a common denominator that no one signed.

We had such great memories there. To come out on air and say that doesn’t really make sense, but it is what it is.
https://sports.yahoo.com/anthony-rizzo- ... 57374.html

Dear Mr.Rizzo,

Jason Heyward always bad
Kyle Schwarber flash in the pan that should have been traded right after the world series
Addison Russell
Yu Darvish 2018, 2019
Justin Wilson
Brandon Morrow
John Lackey got old and bad
Mike Montgomery got real bad
Pedro Strop was bad
Carl Edwards Jr was bad
Jon Lester 2019, 2020 was bad

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:25 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:

Nobody cared back then what would happen after. We sold our souls for it. I saw it. I'm good.

Maybe they get it again. Maybe they don't. But, I have a long history of decades of watching them suck. It's not new.

Exactly. One title and nothing else matters.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:37 pm 

Brick wrote:
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:

Exactly. One title and nothing else matters.

Pretty much.

Had the experience. Know what it is like now.

Know a whole lot more about bad Cub baseball. It's not really a shock to the system.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:22 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:

If the cubs did not win a world series during that time period your argument would have a lot more weight. But we got one. We wanted more but things happen.

In a similar fashion Sox fans have bought into the plan of Hahn. You might get lucky and run off 3 WS titles in the next 5 years or you might get just 1 or you might even get none. Thata how it works.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:28 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
RFDC wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

If the cubs did not win a world series during that time period your argument would have a lot more weight. But we got one. We wanted more but things happen.

In a similar fashion Sox fans have bought into the plan of Hahn. You might get lucky and run off 3 WS titles in the next 5 years or you might get just 1 or you might even get none. Thata how it works.

Actually, I haven't "bought into" Hahn's plan. He wasted six seasons- that's more than ten percent of my life- to get to this point and there are no guarantees that this team will ever win a World Series. That's why what the Cubs are doing- AGAIN- is despicable.

Every team should be making their best effort to win every season. And MLB should be adjusting the rules to try to force that to happen.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:34 pm 

JORR, i definitely agree with your last statement. I would love to see that, but I dont see it happening any time soon.

And I know you say you haven't bought into the plan, but if that were really true you wouldn't be investing time and money into the Sox. So at some level you have bought in.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Baraccos
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Actually, I haven't "bought into" Hahn's plan. He wasted six seasons- that's more than ten percent of my life- to get to this point and there are no guarantees that this team will ever win a World Series. That's why what the Cubs are doing- AGAIN- is despicable.

Every team should be making their best effort to win every season. And MLB should be adjusting the rules to try to force that to happen.

If they spend nothing this off-season, criticism is warranted. Otherwise they did the right thing.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:38 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
RFDC wrote:
JORR, i definitely agree with your last statement. I would love to see that, but I dont see it happening any time soon.

And I know you say you haven't bought into the plan, but if that were really true you wouldn't be investing time and money into the Sox. So at some level you have bought in.

:lol: I invest my time and money when they suck. I'm gonna do it when they're pretty good.

But that's the problem I have with people who cheer on tanking. None of them actually go to games. They just watch Netflix for five years and come back when the team is good. If you go to games you don't want to watch "tank wins".