It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:03 am 

man of few opinions wrote:
for many years i have watched and listened to the cubs, and been an active fan of the team. then they decided to create their own network, which in my case meant the games were no longer available to view on my chosen service (what I believed to be a sacrifice at the time). I adapted by listening to more games, which I have found to be both enjoyable and practical. The Cubs come along and offer me the "opportunity" to give them $20 extra per month because their viewership is slipping so steeply on Marquee, but I decide no thanks, I'm good.

BAD FAN

Fans have had to pay to watch the Cubs for over 25 years now.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:14 am 

for many years i have watched and listened to the cubs, and been an active fan of the team. then they decided to create their own network, which in my case meant the games were no longer available to view on my chosen service (what I believed to be a sacrifice at the time). I adapted by listening to more games, which I have found to be both enjoyable and practical. The Cubs come along and offer me the "opportunity" to give them $20 extra per month because their viewership is slipping so steeply on Marquee, but I decide no thanks, I'm good.

BAD FAN
If you can make the argument that you think listening to the game is the same as watching the game then I'll give you a pass. I find it hard to believe that if you were given the "free" option of watching or listening that you would choose to listen though.

So, to make it clear.
Bad fan: I'm not paying 80 cents a game to watch my favorite team!
Not a bad fan: I prefer listening to my favorite team over watching them and would do that even if both were free.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:34 am 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
Rick, both can be true. I'm not paying additionally to watch my favorite team, but I still follow them daily without being shaken down for $20 a month because their network is failing.

BAD FAN

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:38 am 

I'm not paying additionally to watch my favorite team
As I said, watching them isn't worth 80 cents a game to you. That's fine. I'm not paying 80 cents a game to watch the White Sox either.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:56 am 

Brick wrote:
I don't blame anyone for choosing to not pay $20 a month but you also aren't really a great fan if around 80 cents a game is too much for you to subscribe.

Stupid take. Who watches 162 games a year? :lol: That's probably what some corporate hack said in one of the Cubs board meetings.

"We don't want people to be fans of our team if they can't afford to pay a measly 80 cents per game. Peasants can go watch the White Sox for free."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:02 am 

Rick, both can be true. I'm not paying additionally to watch my favorite team, but I still follow them daily without being shaken down for $20 a month because their network is failing.

BAD FAN

Bad fan also. Been watching the Cubs every year religiously since I was 8yrs old. 40 years in total, but because I refuse to pay an additional subscription to my main subscription service, I am a bad fan. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:05 am 

Juiced wrote:
Stupid take. Who watches 162 games a year? :lol: That's probably what some corporate hack said in one of the Cubs board meetings.

Juiced wrote:
Been watching the Cubs every year religiously since I was 8yrs old. 40 years in total

How do you make these two posts in a row?

Take it down to 10 games a month instead of 26. That's $2 per game.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:09 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Brick wrote:
Juiced wrote:

Juiced wrote:
Been watching the Cubs every year religiously since I was 8yrs old. 40 years in total

How do you make these two posts in a row?

Take it down to 10 games a month instead of 26. That's $2 per game.

I would be inclined to accept your per game price if I could buy the games on a game by game basis. I want to watch Thursday? 80 cents. I can't watch until a week from Sunday... 80 cents. I'm on vacation and can't watch for a couple weeks and I'm out of $1.60. But you apparently can't do that you have to subscribe for monthly more than you'd be paying if your carrier carried the network (by a decent margin) and you still lose games to apple TV or peacock or fox or whatever ever so often.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:12 am 

That's pretty much how every subscription service exists though. I can't choose which day I pay for YoutubeTV or Netflix or my gym membership either.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:43 am 

Brick wrote:
That's pretty much how every subscription service exists though. I can't choose which day I pay for YoutubeTV or Netflix or my gym membership either.

Are you saying how much you pay per movie on Netflix or youtube?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:49 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Brick wrote:
As I said, watching them isn't worth 80 cents a game to you. That's fine. I'm not paying 80 cents a game to watch the White Sox either.

cue the Sara McLaughlin music . Just 80 cents a day! that's less than a cup of coffee !

do you get a free bwanket too ?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:57 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Bagels wrote:
Brick wrote:

cue the Sara McLaughlin music . Just 80 cents a day! that's less than a cup of coffee !

You probably get this

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:09 pm 

Darkside wrote:
Brick wrote:

Are you saying how much you pay per movie on Netflix or youtube?

Isn't that basically how people decide if you are getting your money's worth on those? I only watched one thing on Netflix last month. Do I really need it?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:12 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Bagels wrote:
Brick wrote:

You probably get this

Good way to recycle Spanky's old hats.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:21 pm 

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:44 pm 

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:45 pm 

:lol:

Who is this Spanky?

Oh is he that guy that got owned during the Covid school stuff?

Yes yes I vaguely remember him

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:53 pm 
100000 CLUB

Do you think that's cij's dog?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:02 pm 

[1uote="Brick"]
Isn't that basically how people decide if you are getting your money's worth on those? [/quote]
I've never heard anyone talk like that.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:08 pm 
100000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:

Quote:
/quote]
Quote:
Tell me about

Quote:
it

Quote:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:52 pm 

Darkside wrote:
[1uote="Brick"]
Isn't that basically how people decide if you are getting your money's worth on those?

I've never heard anyone talk like that.[/quote]
You've never heard of anyone cancelling a streaming service because they don't watch it enough?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
Brick wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Brick wrote:
Isn't that basically how people decide if you are getting your money's worth on those?

You've never heard of anyone cancelling a streaming service because they don't watch it enough?

Lots of times. I’ve never heard anyone break it down on a “cost-per-view” basis like you.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:54 pm 

Lots of times. I’ve never heard anyone break it down on a “cost-per-view” basis like you.
I cancelled Paramount Plus when I realized I had watched one thing on it in the past month and it wasn't going to be worth the non-promotional rate. I am sorry this is such a unique concept that I may literally have invented the "cost-per-view" basis for whether to subscribe to a streaming service.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:55 pm 

Brick wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Brick wrote:

Brick tracks his monthly per-view costs on a X-bar R chart

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:58 pm 

Brick wrote:
I cancelled Paramount Plus when I realized I had watched one thing on it in the past month and it wasn't going to be worth the non-promotional rate. I am sorry this is such a unique concept that I may literally have invented the "cost-per-view" basis for whether to subscribe to a streaming service.

you've used the "I watched one thing in the past month" a couple times now. If that were the case it would be pretty easy to identify it as something that isn't worth it to you that wouldn't require further calculations . It's odd you used "I watched one thing" and not "I watched 43 things and it ended up costing me $1.28 per program, had I watched 52 instead it would have been worth it "

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:07 pm 

Bagels wrote:
Brick wrote:

you've used the "I watched one thing in the past month" a couple times now. If that were the case it would be pretty easy to identify it as something that isn't worth it to you that wouldn't require further calculations . It's odd you used "I watched one thing" and not "I watched 43 things and it ended up costing me $1.28 per program, had I watched 52 instead it would have been worth it "
I wouldn't cancel it if I was watching it that much. That's the point.

We end up watching Disney Plus at least 20 days a month. So I'm paying less than $1 a day and it is well worth it.

I don't really understand why you guys seem so concerned that I pointed out the cost per game of the Cubs streaming service.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:20 pm 

Brick wrote:
I don't really understand why you guys seem so concerned that I pointed out the cost per game of the Cubs streaming service.

Bc it's ridiculous. I know streaming services are important , but I think most people go "yea its worth it " or "nah"
they don't jot down in a notebook and keep track of how many programs they watched a month and then average it out.
The reason you used "one time " or " at least 20 times " is bc those are extreme examples, so of course in that case easy to determine whether its worth it or not.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:34 pm 

Bagels wrote:
Brick wrote:

Bc it's ridiculous. I know streaming services are important , but I think most people go "yea its worth it " or "nah"
they don't jot down in a notebook and keep track of how many programs they watched a month and then average it out.
The reason you used "one time " or " at least 20 times " is bc those are extreme examples, so of course in that case easy to determine whether its worth it or not.
I took the average number of baseball games in a month which is around 25 and did the math on 20 dollars a month. You are acting like this is some sort of complex math problem.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:18 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Brick wrote:
Bagels wrote:
Brick wrote:

I took the average number of baseball games in a month which is around 25 and did the math on 20 dollars a month. You are acting like this is some sort of complex math problem.

What about the other 5 months when there are no games? Re-calculate.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:21 pm 

Brick wrote:
Darkside wrote:
[1uote="Brick"]

You've never heard of anyone cancelling a streaming service because they don't watch it enough?[/quote]
Is that what I said?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next