It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:22 pm 

Nardi wrote:
Brick wrote:
Bagels wrote:
Brick wrote:
I don't really understand why you guys seem so concerned that I pointed out the cost per game of the Cubs streaming service.

Bc it's ridiculous. I know streaming services are important , but I think most people go "yea its worth it " or "nah"
they don't jot down in a notebook and keep track of how many programs they watched a month and then average it out.
The reason you used "one time " or " at least 20 times " is bc those are extreme examples, so of course in that case easy to determine whether its worth it or not.
I took the average number of baseball games in a month which is around 25 and did the math on 20 dollars a month. You are acting like this is some sort of complex math problem.

What about the other 5 months when there are no games? Re-calculate.

I'll let them figure out if paying the Cubs $20 a month in January is a good or bad choice.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
I heard an interview the other night with a financial analyst who covers all the sports TV and streaming companies. Most of the interview was about ESPN and its competitors, but one point he made that was relevant to Marquee is that most fans will not blindly sign up for an entire year. At best they will sign up on April 3 and cancel on October 2 (since Marquee doesn't carry the postseason). So the services and their teams have to jack up the price to compensate, which drives more people away.

The alternative is a pure PPV model, the $1/game for MLB or $2/game for NBA/NHL, sign up each time approach. The Marquees of the world don't have the tech to do that seamlessly yet, although the Comcasts and Amazons of the world do through Peacock and Prime.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:54 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Brick wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Brick wrote:
Bagels wrote:
Brick wrote:
I don't really understand why you guys seem so concerned that I pointed out the cost per game of the Cubs streaming service.

Bc it's ridiculous. I know streaming services are important , but I think most people go "yea its worth it " or "nah"
they don't jot down in a notebook and keep track of how many programs they watched a month and then average it out.
The reason you used "one time " or " at least 20 times " is bc those are extreme examples, so of course in that case easy to determine whether its worth it or not.
I took the average number of baseball games in a month which is around 25 and did the math on 20 dollars a month. You are acting like this is some sort of complex math problem.

What about the other 5 months when there are no games? Re-calculate.

I'll let them figure out if paying the Cubs $20 a month in January is a good or bad choice.

Well, there is the principle of it. My ONE TEAM(people have more than one) fandom costs me $160 a year. Bears cost zero. White Sox, Hawks, and Bulls are a package.

I don't think this is a good fan, this is a great fan. A person who goes over and beyond his other fandoms.

How many cub fans are GREAT?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:31 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Brick wrote:
Like two or three dozen

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:28 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Brick wrote:
Like two or three dozen

Definitely not Leash's Dad

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:39 am 

Brick wrote:
I don't blame anyone for choosing to not pay $20 a month but you also aren't really a great fan if around 80 cents a game is too much for you to subscribe.

So the BRICK approved “great fan’ metric is paying to watch your team on TV? Who the fuck made you the arbiter of what makes a great fan?

So some dude with 10 season tickets to his team and goes to every game doesn’t want to get bilked out of dumb money to stream the game? Some guy who spends 10k a year on memorabilia a year wants to listen to his team on the radio isn’t a “great fan’?

There are plenty of great fans out there for the Cubs, the Sox, the Braves, the Giants, I don’t presume to judge them solely on TV viewership.

But I guess someone like know it all BRICK has the market cornered on what makes a great fan.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:15 am 

One Post wrote:
So the BRICK approved “great fan’ metric is paying to watch your team on TV? Who the fuck made you the arbiter of what makes a great fan?
I'm not supposed to point out how much it costs per game any more so if the generic "many hours of games for 20 bucks" isn't worth it to you then yes.

One Post wrote:
So some dude with 10 season tickets to his team and goes to every game doesn’t want to get bilked out of dumb money to stream the game? Some guy who spends 10k a year on memorabilia a year wants to listen to his team on the radio isn’t a “great fan’?
If you are spending 10k on the team in memorabilia then yes, you should spend $100 a year to be able to watch the games.

One Post wrote:
There are plenty of great fans out there for the Cubs, the Sox, the Braves, the Giants, I don’t presume to judge them solely on TV viewership.

But I guess someone like know it all BRICK has the market cornered on what makes a great fan.
Why are you so offended? A great fan should watch his team play and not make the decision that $20 a month is too expensive when they play so many times during the month.

I think your reaction is because you realize how irrational it is to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on your baseball team but somehow it's too much to pay $20 a month to watch your baseball team.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:15 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Brick you're so full of awful takes and circular logic that I have to simply assume that you're just trolling with 95% of your posts.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:58 am 

Darkside wrote:
Brick you're so full of awful takes and circular logic that I have to simply assume that you're just trolling with 95% of your posts.

Yet "What if someone spends $10,000 on Cubs memorabilia but won't spend $20 a month to watch them?" was an actual argument made against my position. It must have some merit if the biggest strawman in board history was required.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:16 am 

pizza_Place: What??
Cubs owner isn't a good owner. Why wouldn't he just charge what the market rate is?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
I'm shocked it took Marquee more than 3 years to launch a direct-to-consumer subscription platform. I knew their channel was only accessible via a few different cable/subscription companies but I thought if you were in Chicago and ultimately wanted to watch the Cubs, you could do it through Marquee. 3 years is really embarrassing. A direct-to-consumer platform should have been introduced from the onset.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:25 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Ron Wolfley wrote:
I'm shocked it took Marquee more than 3 years to launch a direct-to-consumer subscription platform. I knew their channel was only accessible via a few different cable/subscription companies but I thought if you were in Chicago and ultimately wanted to watch the Cubs, you could do it through Marquee. 3 years is really embarrassing. A direct-to-consumer platform should have been introduced from the onset.

They were 10 years late to the team-owned RSN model. Why be on time now?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
It’s nice being out of market. I bought the package and get all the games but for the Brewers as Bally is as bad as Marquee. Not on Hulu.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:42 pm 

Ron Wolfley wrote:

I suspect that some of the delay was due to trying to work within the overall MLB framework, especially with the Diamond and Comcast RSNs biting the dust one at a time.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Unless I'm missing something, Marquee doesn't have defined roles for their on-air talent. I know Sciambi is off most Sundays doing ESPN radio but it seems like it's a roll of the dice Monday through Saturday. Why is Sciambi paired with Deshaies some days and other days Sciambi with Girardi? There are also times like tonight where it's a 3 man booth with Sciambi, Deshaies, and Girardi. Last week, it was a 3 person booth with Sciambi, Deshaies, and Elise Menaker. Sometimes Elise is reporting down on the field and other times it's Taylor McGregor. I'm used to seeing Cole Wright host postgame but tonight Elise is the host. I could have sworn Taylor was hosting post game a couple weeks back :lol:

There's no permanent post game analyst either. I see Cliff Floyd most of the time but have seen other former Cubs like Carlos Pena. Who could forget Carlos Pena!! He played 1 out of his 14 seasons for the Cubs -- and it was the forgettable and irrelevant 2011 team. Mike Sweeney was on over the weekend. I'm trying to figure out what Chicago connection he has and can't come up with anything. I see Mark Grace and Lou Piniella as game analysts on Marque's website as well. I've never seen them, ever. I see Grace doing Diamondbacks pre and post.

I'll shut up.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:28 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Ron Wolfley wrote:
Unless I'm missing something, Marquee doesn't have defined roles for their on-air talent. I know Sciambi is off most Sundays doing ESPN radio but it seems like it's a roll of the dice Monday through Saturday. Why is Sciambi paired with Deshaies some days and other days Sciambi with Girardi? There are also times like tonight where it's a 3 man booth with Sciambi, Deshaies, and Girardi. Last week, it was a 3 person booth with Sciambi, Deshaies, and Elise Menaker. Sometimes Elise is reporting down on the field and other times it's Taylor McGregor. I'm used to seeing Cole Wright host postgame but tonight Elise is the host. I could have sworn Taylor was hosting post game a couple weeks back :lol:

There's no permanent post game analyst either. I see Cliff Floyd most of the time but have seen other former Cubs like Carlos Pena. Who could forget Carlos Pena!! He played 1 out of his 14 seasons for the Cubs -- and it was the forgettable and irrelevant 2011 team. Mike Sweeney was on over the weekend. I'm trying to figure out what Chicago connection he has and can't come up with anything. I see Mark Grace and Lou Piniella as game analysts on Marque's website as well. I've never seen them, ever. I see Grace doing Diamondbacks pre and post.

I'll shut up.

So... you're saying Marquee and the Cubs broadcast is a mess?

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Marquee pre & post game isn't an option with their non-stop boosterism. It's a shame. Maybe watched 5 minutes total a few times. Doesn't matter who's on the panel or in-game booth.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Darkside wrote:
Ron Wolfley wrote:

I'll shut up.

That’s not something a true fan would say

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Hoagie's Pub
God bless the cubs, but at times - i don't mind the marquee network world getting it's comeuppance. i think sutcliffe has much to offer, when he isn't a used car salesman. i distinctly remember in march; sutcliffe telling us that taillon is working on a new pitch (the dreaded sweeper, i believe) and will be devastating. as it turned out, taillon's terrible start was blamed on throwing that new pitch. just tell us that he's not that good. capable of innings, but, a 4th/5th starter on legit playoff teams - in the old days they were only used in long relief during the playoffs. just like 2023 hendricks. the cubs last game reminded you of 1984 and the sandberg game? ok. the very next game the 2023 electrified cubs lost at home to a club 40+ games under .500.

i hope wisdom is making friends with royals that get on 1b, i believe he could be playing for the royals next season. addition by subtraction and getting rid of the ortegas and rivas, mancinis, rios...next will be wisdom and the cubs will be better for it. too bad no one on marquee will tell us that. sutcliffe should be telling us what is up with killian, thompson and wesneski and does he believe the cubs will get the best out of ben brown? i already know his answers.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
Bagels wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Ron Wolfley wrote:

I'll shut up.

That’s not something a true fan would say

For $20 a month you qualify

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:54 am 

pizza_Place: Hoagie's Pub
how will they handle barnhart's DFA? not good enough or need room for pitching - not 3 Cs? cubs bring back mastrobuoni. jeez.

other clubs battling the cubs got the job done last night - brewers in texas, reds at home against toronto and the marlins in los angeles. cubs flopped at home against a club 40+ games under .500, let's see what the response is today.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:13 pm 

Elise splits her time between Marquee and SNY. When I was in Connecticut last week, I saw her as a panelist on their nightly baseball show before pre-game. SNY also rotates their panelists on that show, they use Elise, Dani Wexelman from MLB Network, and one other woman from NYC in one analyst spot, and a few ex players and front office guys in another one.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:32 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Ron Wolfley wrote:

I'll shut up.

The goal has always been to recreate YES and their three dozen Yankees color commentators -- wearing suits, of course.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Sutcliffe is terrible.

-Thinks the single muffed by the CF is a triple.
-Says this guy has been hot the last four months of the season, which would be the entire season. I am sure he meant to say last four weeks.
-Then you hear a phone ringing on air, and Boog had to tell him to shut it off.

All by the end of the 2nd.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:58 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Just turned on the broadcast, why is a Woman doing Plat by play? Wtf?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 2:00 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
this is pure fucking terrible. Marquee is a fucking joke.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 2:01 pm 

Sutcliffe trying to help her out but Boog not saying shit. Almost like AND YOU THINK I SUCK YOU MF'S!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 2:02 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
An ugly old fat woman too. Not even a looker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 2:10 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
An ugly old fat woman too. Not even a looker

she's better than this 'never worked a day in my life' carter hawkins yuppie asshole they got on now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next