It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 11:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Brewers @ Cubs
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
The Cubs multiple times have hit 17 <.500 & 23 <.500 each time starting losing and winning stretches. See if it plays out again.

Post subject: Re: Brewers @ Cubs
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:48 pm 

I'm a big Rick Sutcliffe fan. Great Cubs pitcher, cancer survivor, tremendous charity work. But it's just not a good fit working with Marquee's mandated positive/praising bs spiel. He just carries it too far... non-stop. Joe Girardi & JD are more polished. What a difference.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Baraccos
Nicky two strikes 3 for 3 so far.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:33 pm 

Few games back Elise mentioned Nick Madrigal credits his recent success to backing off on the data and going back to basics. Seemed to really throw Boog for a loop.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
that was a fun game

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:46 pm 

pizza_Place: The Forum
Leiter Jr. summoned for the 8th and I am thinking here comes another Brewer HR. Instead he strikes out the side.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Passero's
vitoscotti wrote:
Seemed to really throw Boog for a loop.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Exactly! I dont mind stats, I like stats actually, but Boog is the megaphone of the analysts doing the analytics that take the soul out of the game.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:46 pm 

Sock Puppet wrote:
Leiter Jr. summoned for the 8th and I am thinking here comes another Brewer HR. Instead he strikes out the side.

I fuckin hate Leiter Jr. He's the new Effross and Daniel Norris. SHit pitcher and he's out there every single game.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:07 pm 

pizza_Place: The Forum
I hear you whistler. Now watch, Ross will let Leiter Jr. have the 9th and Renfroe will hit another one off that Wintrust sign.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:06 pm 

Extra innin's guys, the Cubs tied it in the 9th.

Tune in!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:17 pm 

Yelich owed 162.5 mil through '28 for a mediocre player now.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
vitoscotti wrote:

As with Heyward, an immediate dropoff after signing his megadeal. Fucking thieves. At least Yelich has fallen to merely mediocre and not total shit like Heyward did.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:58 pm 

Hard to believe this is only Contreras's second career walkoff hit. Both against Milwaukee.

And people wanted him traded.

Cubs 18-10 since the All-Star break.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:02 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

As with Heyward, an immediate dropoff after signing his megadeal. Fucking thieves. At least Yelich has fallen to merely mediocre and not total shit like Heyward did.

Both bums contract year to 1st year bad money contract ops+↓around 40%.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:34 am 

pizza_Place: Hoagie's Pub
once again, suzuki nearly ripping his arm off while attempting to steal. if wong was 2 feet more towards 1B and 1 foot closer to 2B, suzuki would have tumbled onto the outfield grass as his left arm would have ripped off body, fingers clawed to the base. very awkward. slid feet-first this time, not head-first. maybe the cubs have said something to him.

contreras well on his way to winning his first C silver slugger. glad the cubs didn't give him away for free.

have to give credit to stroman.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:40 am 

whistler wrote:
Hard to believe this is only Contreras's second career walkoff hit. Both against Milwaukee.

i wanted him traded, for quality. no quality offered for an all-star/likely silver slugger C, then don't trade him. will the cubs resign him? after all the tears and ovations, will he return - hometown discount or not? i don't think so for one minute, not after this season's offensive numbers.

his defense has been slipping and this year, not very good. lots of lazy stuff - not shifting to block balls in the dirt, dropping throws on plays at the plate.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
NWsider4-3-3 wrote:
whistler wrote:

i wanted him traded, for quality. no quality offered for an all-star/likely silver slugger C, then don't trade him. will the cubs resign him? after all the tears and ovations, will he return - hometown discount or not? i don't think so for one minute, not after this season's offensive numbers.

his defense has been slipping and this year, not very good. lots of lazy stuff - not shifting to block balls in the dirt, dropping throws on plays at the plate.

I think he will be back. Which playoff quality team has a spot for him? And if they do, will they give up a pick due to the QO?

I think he will accept the QO and take the $19M and then negotiate a deal in the 4/70 range with some sort of vested opt-out after three (similar to what Rodon got from the Giants) and a mutual option for a fifth year for maybe $20M.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:32 pm 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
NWsider4-3-3 wrote:
whistler wrote:

I think he will be back. Which playoff quality team has a spot for him? And if they do, will they give up a pick due to the QO?

I think he will accept the QO and take the $19M and then negotiate a deal in the 4/70 range with some sort of vested opt-out after three (similar to what Rodon got from the Giants) and a mutual option for a fifth year for maybe $20M.

Yadier Molina was never part of any trades. He stayed thru thick and thin. It's hard to find great everyday catchers that can hit, hit for power, play defense, and work with pitchers. We are lucky to have him. Molina's and Posey's only come along once in a blue moon.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:34 pm 

how bout Girardi in the 3-man booth the last couple days.

Dude looks like he was a manager for the Yankees with that white hair.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:43 pm 

NWsider4-3-3 wrote:
whistler wrote:

i hope you're correct, but coming off a very good offensive year - i'm sure his team is looking to break the bank on secure money. realmuto is on $23 million for a few more years. i'm guessing they're looking at that as a preferred ending. i feel they would view 4/$70 mil as unacceptable.

you ask which playoff teams? the ones who make the playoffs but don't win the world series with a marginal C - especially hitting.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:52 pm 

whistler wrote:
NWsider4-3-3 wrote:
whistler wrote:

Yadier Molina was never part of any trades. He stayed thru thick and thin. It's hard to find great everyday catchers that can hit, hit for power, play defense, and work with pitchers. We are lucky to have him. Molina's and Posey's only come along once in a blue moon.

molina and the cards and contreras and the cubs...well, i believe each club has had very different trajectories. if the cards decided to bottom out, i'm sure he wouldn't have been untouchable.

defense? i think contreras' defense has slipped and i've seen plenty of examples - including one hot summer afternoon in st. louis, when the cardinal winning run advanced a base in the 8th after contreras failed to block a ball in the dirt. just didn't shift his weight to his right. runner scored on a sac fly, where as, if contreras had kept the ball in front of him, runner stays on 2nd with 2 out. lazy tag against the brewers - cost the cubs a run in a game that they lost in extra innings. erase that run, cubs win in 9 innings. ball beat the runner in plenty of time, contreras didn't want to bend down and tag the foot, kept his glove high and tagged his shoulder - after the runner's foot slid across home plate. has dropped at least two good relay throws on plays at the plate...and, he's been playing less at C.

he does have some faults.