It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Mariners @ Cubs
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Hockey Gay wrote:
We just got this guy for an extra 3 years in the prime of his career. The only proper response to this extension should be "Fuck yes! I get to watch Happ play in a Cubs uniform for another 3 years."

:lol: :lol: I mean , if .250 career hitters who strike out 150 times per year get you to FUCK YEAH !! Cant wait to see him play !!! We’re lucky to get him for only 20 million per !! Im not going to stop you but thats a hard pass for me .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Happ & Suzuki are just ok players. Hardly the 2 superstar corner outfielders I envisioned that could lead a team hopefully coming out of a tank transitioning to a perennial playoff team.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:10 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Hockey Gay wrote:
He's more than solid, he's a great player who would have probably got 25 mil per year in the open market.

This isnt years ago where he had huge holes in his swing. This is a player we watched before our own eyes become everything you want in a baseball player. He can field, he can throw, he can baserun, he has a great eye and he hits to all parts of the field. On top of that he seems to be a great teammate and person.

We just got this guy for an extra 3 years in the prime of his career. The only proper response to this extension should be "Fuck yes! I get to watch Happ play in a Cubs uniform for another 3 years."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:27 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Happ is a solid defender with moderate power, a decent on base percentage and (other than. 21) a somewhat respectable batting average. I'd give him 12 per for 4.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
badrogue17 wrote:
Hockey Gay wrote:

:lol: :lol: I mean , if .250 career hitters who strike out 150 times per year get you to FUCK YEAH !! Cant wait to see him play !!! We’re lucky to get him for only 20 million per !! Im not going to stop you but thats a hard pass for me .

Like I said, he had huge holes in his swing. He figured it out last year. You're paying him for the player he is now.

20 mil per is nothing now in this sport, especially at 3 years.

Don't come at me with his career batting average. You can easily find me hating on Happ on this board early on but he has become a hell of a ball player and now you have him in his prime on a short contract.

Like what the fuck do you guys want? We let the dumbass go to the Cardinals and the other dumbass go to Detroit.
We all agree those two were idiots you don't want to pay, right?

You just signed a guy for only 3 years at 20 mil per who is in his prime and does everything well.

Maybe i was a little off base with being "Fuck yes" but I'm just happy to see this guy here in his prime who does everything very good at this point. Its refreshing to see after the dumbass catcher we had that so many Cubs fans had a boner for.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:34 am 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Hockey Gay wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Hockey Gay wrote:

Like I said, he had huge holes in his swing. He figured it out last year. You're paying him for the player he is now.

20 mil per is nothing now in this sport, especially at 3 years.

Don't come at me with his career batting average. You can easily find me hating on Happ on this board early on but he has become a hell of a ball player and now you have him in his prime on a short contract.

Like what the fuck do you guys want? We let the dumbass go to the Cardinals and the other dumbass go to Detroit.
We all agree those two were idiots you don't want to pay, right?

You just signed a guy for only 3 years at 20 mil per who is in his prime and does everything well.

Maybe i was a little off base with being "Fuck yes" but I'm just happy to see this guy here in his prime who does everything very good at this point. Its refreshing to see after the dumbass catcher we had that so many Cubs fans had a boner for.

Interesting hg comes back the same time I come back on these forums. Like clockwork. Clark Kent and Superman. Almost like a mult!

Anyway he's right in this post. Happy for Happ. He would have got more on the market imo but this is still good. and ya fuck that dumbfuck Contreras. Gonna be great to see him ruin the cards.

and that year he got sent down the minors FOR THE ENTIRE YEAR - was it because he was the one fucking Zobrist's wife? I remember they said it was a player on the roster but then suddenly become her pastor or something like that.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:45 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
The Score/Marquee tends to exaggerate Ian Happ's emergence.

'17-'20 248 344 481 825 115
'21-'23 252 .337 438 775 114

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:06 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Happ would have been offered a QO this off-season, and probably would have taken it. That's $19.5M for 2024 either way. So it's only two extra years and both Canario and Davis have had significant injuries. I probably would have tried to make the NTC for 2026 somewhat limited (like have an open period for a month if the team is below .500 on July 1 of that year) but it's not the end of the world.

If Happ is a productive player and is still relegated to a platoon OF/DH/1B type in 2026, that is a good problem to have.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:40 am 

pizza_Place: The Forum
Maybe keeping their own players is less expensive long-term.
They could have kept Baez for $140m. They replaced him by spending $177m on Swanson.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:54 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Thank fucking christ they didnt keep Baez

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:14 am 

SuperNintendoHjalmarsson wrote:

:lol: Absolutely. He's hitting .122 this year, CONEtreras .199 , Bryant is over .300 with no HR's, Rizzo .320 with 3 HR. Not signing any of these guys was the right move

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:44 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
badrogue17 wrote:

:lol: Absolutely. He's hitting .122 this year, CONEtreras .199 , Bryant is over .300 with no HR's, Rizzo .320 with 3 HR. Not signing any of these guys was the right move

Baez got pulled from a game this week for not hustling on two plays in the same inning.

My guess is that his contract will end up worse than Hosmer's original deal with SD or Heyward's Cub contract.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:05 am 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Baez got pulled from a game this week for not hustling on two plays in the same inning.

My guess is that his contract will end up worse than Hosmer's original deal with SD or Heyward's Cub contract.

I saw he got pulled from one game for not knowing how many outs there were while he was on second base. Someone hit a fly ball and he started jogging from second to third thinking there were two outs and got doubled off as he wandered into third.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
yeah and then put his hands up like "hey wtf? how is this my fault?"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:17 pm 

man of few opinions wrote:
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

I saw he got pulled from one game for not knowing how many outs there were while he was on second base. Someone hit a fly ball and he started jogging from second to third thinking there were two outs and got doubled off as he wandered into third.

The lack of hustle and game awareness that our beloved Latino players exhibit that sometimes costs their teams wins is what makes the bat flips that the kids want to see that much sweeter.

Last edited by badrogue17 on Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Baez is exactly what I thought he would be. And predicted. many on this board predicted success for this guy.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:12 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
City of Fools wrote:
Baez is exactly what I thought he would be. And predicted. many on this board predicted success for this guy.

he was successful for 2-3 years.

the only guy who i would take back from that group is Rizzo. He's lost a lot of weight and banning the shift will probably help him the most.

but when he was on the cubs after 2016 it was easy sailing and none of those guys had any motivation.

btw what's going on w Hendricks? is his career over due to these latest injuries?