It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:07 am 

Professor Flakey was a real treat yesterday, lisping how great Ross was, how great Counsell is and how great the Cub front office is. He forgot to get a shout out to Mr. Reinsdorf.

I want to lay off the guy during his grieving, but he makes it very difficult.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:28 am 

NWsider4-3-3 wrote:
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
It will be interesting to see what Counsell does with his coaching staff in Chicago. He's not going to be allowed to take all of his coaches unless their contracts also ended at the end of this season.

the new brewer manager may have other coaches in mind. contracts can be terminated if a coach has a verbal agreement from the cubs to join up with counsell. could be some coaches on the brewers that counsell doesn't want on the cubs and the new brewer manager might not want. now the brewers have to pay through the nose to terminate their deals (if those coaches want a buy-out)...or, both parties are awkwardly stuck together. i believe many coaches' contracts have this language for buy-outs in the event of managerial turnover.

i believe that during the interview process, mid/low profile candidates are asked if they are willing to work with the current staff. high-profile candidates are told we'll buy out and hire anyone you want. with the richest contract ever given a manager, you know counsell has carte blanche.

Brewers owner says all coaches are staying, we will see about that. I could see that happening if Murphy is named the manager.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Funny how all the hosts are saying this is a sign of Ricketts and Hoyer getting ready to open up the purse strings, when from a logical standpoint it is just as likely they chose Counsell based on his history of maximizing a team with a constrained payroll.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Georgio's--Crystal Lake
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Funny how all the hosts are saying this is a sign of Ricketts and Hoyer getting ready to open up the purse strings, when from a logical standpoint it is just as likely they chose Counsell based on his history of maximizing a team with a constrained payroll.

You thinking due to Counsell's use of analytics this is leading to a Moneyball Style approach?

Cause tried and true
I see the light in you
Oh, can you dig in my soul?
Could you smell my whole...
life?--Gener and Deaner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:55 pm 

Harvard Dan wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

You thinking due to Counsell's use of analytics this is leading to a Moneyball Style approach?

I’m sure Counsell’s philosophy is closer to Hoyer’s than Ross’s; I just don’t know why people assume this is a harbinger of a spending spree.

I also don’t think the Brewer’s 26-man payroll has been materially different than the Cubs over the last few years. They’re not the A’s or Rays.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:09 am 

pizza_Place: Hoagie's Pub
Jaw Breaker wrote:
I also don’t think the Brewer’s 26-man payroll has been materially different than the Cubs over the last few years. They’re not the A’s or Rays.

i think you need to take a look at the figures.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:28 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
NWsider4-3-3 wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
I also don’t think the Brewers' 26-man payroll has been materially different than the Cubs over the last few years. They’re not the A’s or Rays.

Over the last 3 years combined the Brewers 26-man roster payroll (not total payroll) is about $10M more than the Cubs.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:56 am 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:02 am 

Jaw Breaker wrote:

They have watched the guy coach the hell out of that team and he likely hasn't even hit his prime yet. That's why they paid him

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:49 am 

vitoscotti wrote:
NWsider4-3-3 wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
I also don’t think the Brewers' 26-man payroll has been materially different than the Cubs over the last few years. They’re not the A’s or Rays.

Over the last 3 years combined the Brewers 26-man roster payroll (not total payroll) is about $10M more than the Cubs.

i think you need to look at the figures.

what happened in 2022, where the brewers outspent the cubs by $74 million in the single season to get to your figure of the brewers spending $10 million more than the cubs in the past 3 years?

cubs 2023
Quote:
PAYROLL TYPE BASE SALARY SIGNING BONUS INCENTIVES TOTAL SALARY TOTAL ADJ. SALARY
Active Payroll $138,052,750 $2,000,000 $3,300,000 $143,352,750 $134,251,105

brewers 2023

Quote:
PAYROLL TYPE BASE SALARY SIGNING BONUS INCENTIVES TOTAL SALARY TOTAL ADJ. SALARY
Active Payroll $111,131,800 $234,960 $500,000 $111,866,760 $86,339,557

cubs 2021
Quote:
Active Total Payroll $154,656,909 $2,510,000 $500,000 $157,666,909 $144,037,170
Payroll Adjustment $8,152,448
Total Payroll $152,189,618

brewers 2021
Quote:
Active Total Payroll $121,509,370 $1,403,910 $150,000 $122,063,280 $99,377,415
Payroll Adjustment $6,614,179
Total Payroll $105,991,594

when everyone in the baseball world - from the local media to mlb network radio & tv, tell us that counsell got more from less, this is what they mean. if you're not counting j-hey money, that's odd, because you say they need to spend j-hey's former salary in another post, otherwise, it's a bad look.

wow, i can't believe you'd debate this issue.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:03 am 

pizza_Place: Marie's
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/m ... 612107002/

Going by this list Cubs were 66 million more in 2023 than the Brewers.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:06 am 

yeah, don't why this issue is even hypothesized or debated.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:39 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
it's possible that Ross was great behind the scenes with the players. As an evaluatable manager decision making wise I'm glad he's gone.

Whether the Cubs GM will do his job is up for debate. But I think this is a great hire and if they fix the bullpen this team will get a ton of bites at the apple in the next few years, which is really what you want when the owner isn't willing to be the Dodgers financially.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:53 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Harvard Dan wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

Absolutely. Maybe not 100% Moneyball, but Counsell will use it a lot more than Ross.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:14 pm 

City of Fools wrote:
it's possible that Ross was great behind the scenes with the players. As an evaluatable manager decision making wise I'm glad he's gone.

Whether the Cubs GM will do his job is up for debate. But I think this is a great hire and if they fix the bullpen this team will get a ton of bites at the apple in the next few years, which is really what you want when the owner isn't willing to be the Dodgers financially.

I wish Brewers fans would understand this comment.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Hawg Ass wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

The Brewers have a potentially championship core coming up. Better than the Cubs' prospect core, closer to the DBacks. Chourio, Quero, Misiorowski (who is fucking filthy) and Black should all be starters by July 1 at the latest, plus they should get good prospects for Burnes and Adames if they can't extend them. Add that to the kids who got playing time this year, and maybe 2024 is iffy growing but 2025-2028 should be at a minimum a WC contender.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:32 pm 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

The Brewers have a potentially championship core coming up. Better than the Cubs' prospect core, closer to the DBacks. Chourio, Quero, Misiorowski (who is fucking filthy) and Black should all be starters by July 1 at the latest, plus they should get good prospects for Burnes and Adames if they can't extend them. Add that to the kids who got playing time this year, and maybe 2024 is iffy growing but 2025-2028 should be at a minimum a WC contender.

They would rather bitch that they cheaped out and didn't pay Canha when it actuality, he doesn't have any place to play.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:57 pm 

Ross speaks

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/sport ... 515771007/

Quote:
“I think the thing that comes over me is that I am extremely thankful for the opportunity, to be honest,” an emotional Ross told the Tallahassee Democrat in an exclusive interview Thursday.

“There was a lot of people who worked really hard alongside me. ... I am really thankful for the four years I got, coming from zero coaching experience to getting the chance to manage such a great organization that has impacted my life in a great way. There's great people there. I really don't have a whole lot negative to say, to be honest.

“I get mad from time to time but I have a lot to be thankful for.”

“We had our conversation,” Ross said.

“If my boss doesn't think I am a good manager, then he should move on. I don't fault him for that. If he doesn't think I am the right guy, that's his job. That's his choice. I have my own thoughts and opinions that I will keep to myself.”

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:27 am 

They hired a guy with no experience presumably with the understanding that they were willing to take some lumps while growing with him.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:59 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
good dolphin wrote:
They hired a guy with no experience presumably with the understanding that they were willing to take some lumps while growing with him.

no, they hired a guy to get them back to point B and counted on his likeability and familiarity with existing players to ease the transition to suckfest.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:16 am 

Great Paul Sullivan article in yesterday's Tribune on Cubs past managers.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:17 am 

Ozzie not a fan of the move…says Counsell not better than Ross.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:36 am 

Ross will go to Tampa Bay and win multiple titles

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:09 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
IkeSouth wrote:
Ross will go to Tampa Bay and win multiple titles
Ross can now add the title "Experienced MLB Manager" to his resume making him too expensive for Tampa.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:13 am 

First Counsell press conference question is ass kisser Bruce Levine praising him.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:15 am 

vitoscotti wrote:
First Counsell press conference question is ass kisser Bruce Levine praising him.

It is day 1, are you wanting someone to rip him? :lol: idiot

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:17 am 

RFDC wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

No, but an actual question ...you genius.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:18 am 

vitoscotti wrote:
RFDC wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

He asked a question. I am watching the press conference too. Asshat.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:20 am 

RFDC wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:
RFDC wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

He asked a question. I am watching the press conference too. Asshat.

After the Levine obligatory praising...imbecile.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:21 am 

It must suck to go thru life as such a miserable prick constantly.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next