It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Hoagie's Pub
HawaiiYou wrote:
Not sure what to say. What has counsel done really. Never got the brewers to the WS.

i would compare the brewer position players with the position players of the braves/phillies/dodgers of recent years.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
It will be interesting to see what Counsell does with his coaching staff in Chicago. He's not going to be allowed to take all of his coaches unless their contracts also ended at the end of this season.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:57 pm 

Do coaches matter or don't they matter. It's difficult to keep up with the state of the argument, especially with Cub corporate partner but totally objective Dan Bernstein leading

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:00 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Get rid of all the coaches. Especially hootovey.

Have him bring in his own ppl.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:03 pm 

HawaiiYou wrote:
Get rid of all the coaches. Especially hootovey.

Have him bring in his own ppl.

With Breslow going to the Red Sox, there may be a change in pitching philosophy.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
I don’t see this a major upgrade, especially for $8m per.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
It’s 40 million less the Rickett’s will donate to losing Republican election campaigns, so there’s that.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:07 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Jaw Breaker wrote:

It would appear to me that Ross was hired as more as manager to appease fans. Clearly Jed Hoyer is big on analytics and Counsell fits that philosophy a lot more than Ross.
I agree with you, though, I don't think this is a major upgrade for the team. The Cubs roster was decent, but nothing that screamed World Series or bust. Far more upgrades needed to the roster v. the manager.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:08 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
50 million in cash with Heyward and Smurf off the books. That's coming. Top 5 farm system in baseball to execute trades. I smell the jealousy coming from The Subdivision.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:17 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Caller Bob wrote:
50 million in cash with Heyward and Smurf off the books. That's coming. Top 5 farm system in baseball to execute trades. I smell the jealousy coming from The Subdivision.

Well, Bob...I certainly hope the Cubs get better. I have no hate for the Cubs...I take much more enjoyment out of the Yankees and Red Sox falling short of the playoffs.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:23 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:

I don't either. Ross wasnt the problem.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:26 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Do coaches matter or don't they matter. It's difficult to keep up with the state of the argument, especially with Cub corporate partner but totally objective Dan Bernstein leading

They don't get paid enough for their influence on a team. If everyone is good, the coach doesn't do much. But that's like saying if LeBron is dominant you don't need a coach. Beer.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese

Immediately makes him better than Ross.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:02 pm 

Ross was Theo's hire.

Ross had not done enough to deserve another extension beyond 2024.

Counsell has developed several excellent pitchers. Burnes and Williams leading the list.

Will Josh Hader be interested in a reunion with Counsell?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:11 pm 

I think Jed saw what the rangers did w getting bochy. He wanted a top manager too.

This team was a game worse than the dbacks.

Then dbacks made the WS Bec they lucked out and had their ‘Cubs June’ in October. Jed thinks this team is one or for big signings away along w a good manager

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:42 pm 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
It will be interesting to see what Counsell does with his coaching staff in Chicago. He's not going to be allowed to take all of his coaches unless their contracts also ended at the end of this season.

the new brewer manager may have other coaches in mind. contracts can be terminated if a coach has a verbal agreement from the cubs to join up with counsell. could be some coaches on the brewers that counsell doesn't want on the cubs and the new brewer manager might not want. now the brewers have to pay through the nose to terminate their deals (if those coaches want a buy-out)...or, both parties are awkwardly stuck together. i believe many coaches' contracts have this language for buy-outs in the event of managerial turnover.

i believe that during the interview process, mid/low profile candidates are asked if they are willing to work with the current staff. high-profile candidates are told we'll buy out and hire anyone you want. with the richest contract ever given a manager, you know counsell has carte blanche.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Roseangela's
Jaw Breaker wrote:

I dunno. He's in the playoffs every year.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:44 pm 

I feel like few assistants have deals more than 1-2 years in any professional sport.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:49 pm 

Padres are looking at Ross to be their manager

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:10 pm 

Juiced wrote:

Counsell is one of the best managers in MLB. Cubs rebuild is already far superior to the Sox 10x failed tries. Great time to be a Cubs fan!

yeah...no doubt hoyer considers this an upgrade. why? i know bruce levine won't tell us. hoyer must have been plenty pissed about the wild card collapse. he didn't do ross any favors with bullpen help (cuas??).

he'll definitely need to make some deals. can't stand pat. the cubs talk up swanson & hoerner. nice players, but, the 2B/SS hitting & fielding combo at arizona may have passed them up. along with the phillies duo, the braves duo...etc. hoerner is the manny trillo of today. bowa and cash, concepcion and morgan, russell and lopes...vs. kessinger/de jesus and trillo. nice players, but there are better SS and 2B combos. just in the division, mclain and india on the reds are in the picture.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:18 pm 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
I loved Ross as a player and was worried that I might end up hating him because of how bad of a manager he is.

Well its over and I don't hate him. he didn't get much of a squad and in the ended we competed to an extent. I'm fine with all of this.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
1 run games or games that went into extra innings in 2023:

Counsell 29-19
Ross 21-25

The Cubs were 1 game behind the Diamondbacks for that last wild card spot.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:56 pm 

Ron Wolfley wrote:
1 run games or games that went into extra innings in 2023:

Counsell 29-19
Ross 21-25

The Cubs were 1 game behind the Diamondbacks for that last wild card spot.

really the one thing i hated Ross managing was he always got someone in the bullpen up A BATTER TOO LATE!

I don't think Counsell will do that.

I think Jed is going to follow what the Rangers did the last 2 years and sign some big FA's this offseason.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:21 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Has to be an upgrade. Ross appeared to wilt under pressure and you could sense the stress was getting to him. Any time there's a collapse he had to have an inkling his days could be numbered. Hoyer will play the "great guy bs" game but this validates he wasn't happy with Ross. I don't hear rumblings of Counsell being a bad in-game manager or "you'll see he has a unique style" warnings like when Dusty Baker and Joe Maddon arrived by previous team's followers and media.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:18 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
All I heard all day from the Score guys is that he's the greatest manager in the game. Since when? I have never heard a single baseball expert say this. Did they forget Bochy? Baker?

I love Counsell, and he is great, but far from the best. He's proven to be a horrible playoff manager.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:20 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
hnd wrote:
I loved Ross as a player and was worried that I might end up hating him because of how bad of a manager he is.

Well its over and I don't hate him. he didn't get much of a squad and in the ended we competed to an extent. I'm fine with all of this.

Ross made a lot out of nothing. he was on his way to becoming one of the best managers in the game and got short-circuited.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:29 am 

This seems a little bit unfair given how great last season was for the Cubs according to the Cubs fans in the White Sox section.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:03 am 

pizza_Place: John's
Brick wrote:
This seems a little bit unfair given how great last season was for the Cubs according to the Cubs fans in the White Sox section.

This is what sleeping giants do

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:59 am 

He always seemed to have a handle on his team.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:03 am 

Ross is a media creation. He was a mediocre player. He was a mediocre manager. Yet, he still is getting loved by the media. And, of course, a finger never gets pointed at the Cub front office for hiring a guy with no coaching experience. No, Grandpa Rossy did a great job, just a little bit less great than Craigy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next