It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 1:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Angel Pagan traded
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:26 pm 
1000 CLUB

Cubs trade Pagan to Mets for 2 minor leaguers
The Associated Press

January 5, 2008, 1:45 PM CST

NEW YORK -- The Mets acquired outfielder Angel Pagan on Saturday from the Cubs in exchange for a pair of minor leaguers.

Outfielder Corey Coles and righthanded pitcher Ryan Meyers were sent to the Cubs.

The 26-year-old Pagan batted .264 with four home runs and 21 RBIs for Chicago last year.

"Angel is young, athletic and has the versatility to play all three outfield positions," New York general manager Omar Minaya said in a statement.

Pagan was originally drafted by the Mets in the fourth round in 1999. He was traded to the Cubs for cash Jan. 25, 2006.

Coles, 25, rose to New York's Triple-A affiliate last season, but spent the bulk of his time at Double-A Binghamton, where he hit .296 and stole nine bases.

Meyers is a 22-year-old who had 13 saves and a 2.14 ERA in 33 games at Class A Savannah. He struck out 48 and walked 14 in 42 innings.
Copyright © 2008, The Associated Press

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
World Series here we come!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:37 pm 
1000 CLUB

I would have thought the Cubs would have moved Murton instead of Pagon. Pagon can provide better defense, Murton's role is basically gone now with Fukadome here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:32 pm 

Pagen was hurt or sick every year with the cubs, now that leaves a spot open on the roster. I suspect the Brian Roberts trade is within a week of happening now. Also, I read that the Cubs are eyeing Lieber as a 5th starter, not bad if he is healthy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:48 am 

FredsMissingNuts wrote:
Also, I read that the Cubs are eyeing Lieber as a 5th starter, not bad if he is healthy.

Read that the Reds were looking at him also. If the Cubs want to be a real contender, then they need to traded for Bedard with Roberts. Right now they have Z and Lilly for around 15+ wins, and then a questionable Hill. 4 and 5 is really weak, if not Bedard, then possibly Blanton.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:31 am 
1000 CLUB

schmitty1121 wrote:
FredsMissingNuts wrote:
Also, I read that the Cubs are eyeing Lieber as a 5th starter, not bad if he is healthy.

Read that the Reds were looking at him also. If the Cubs want to be a real contender, then they need to traded for Bedard with Roberts. Right now they have Z and Lilly for around 15+ wins, and then a questionable Hill. 4 and 5 is really weak, if not Bedard, then possibly Blanton.

Getting another #2 or #3 type starter like Bedard/Blanton would make a BIG difference in the NL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:52 am 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
Dan Haren would have been a nice second starter...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Once heard a DeRosa interview and he said Pagan has MLB starting talent and is that good of a player, but needs to concentrate and put in more work.

I think Hendry might have learned something when he got Murton.

Former #1 pick, traded with Nomar, but then after a while you see why he was traded. he isn;t a bad player, but his upside is becoming Scott Hatteberg and Scott Hatteberg playing 1st base for your team means you are bad and you just try to stick a .300 hitter in the lineup.

Pagan, for whatever reason was just not going to become the player he could be.

Then the Mets pulled a KW, by retrading for him

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:41 am 

Hmmm. I kinda liked Pagan. Oh well.

Yes he was injured previously (broken ankle?), and had that illness. I'm not sure you can really blame him for either one and dismiss him as injury prone. But I'm sure Hendry knows what he's doing..... :roll: Besides, the Cubs are loaded with outfield talent. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Gino's East
I would've liked to have had Pagan as my four outfielder. He could play all three positions, has speed, and he's a switch hitter. I think I would rather have him than Murton. Oh well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Gino's East
I wouldn't want either one starting for me, but I just like Pagan's versatility (defense, speed, switch hitting). Murton puts up decent numbers at the end of the day, but he doesn't really do much for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:14 pm 

Murton puts up decent numbers, but a corner outfielder that's a poor defender should put up big numbers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
24_guy summed it up

"I kinda liked Pagan"

No doubt, I liked him as well, but his health has been a concern and he is just that a 4th OF. Pretty sure they are in that area where they could not send him back down and needed to sign him, so they traded him for prospects