It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 7:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:02 am 

pizza_Place: Boboli
OK, the quotes weren't really necessary because he's literally afraid of hitting the outfield wall....the big baby....

Quote:
"I have no problems running from side to side or running to make a catch in front of me," he said. "The only problem I have sometimes is running backward because I'm scared of hitting the wall. But I'm working very hard in spring training to get better."

And just how are you going to become more comfortable with the Wrigley Field walls in spring training?

Article here

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:09 am 
1000 CLUB

Killer V wrote:
OK, the quotes weren't really necessary because he's literally afraid of hitting the outfield wall....the big baby....

Quote:
"I have no problems running from side to side or running to make a catch in front of me," he said. "The only problem I have sometimes is running backward because I'm scared of hitting the wall. But I'm working very hard in spring training to get better."

And just how are you going to become more comfortable with the Wrigley Field walls in spring training?

I think he's actually talking about all the running and conditioning required in Spring Training so he doesn't hit the "proverbial" wall in the dog days of August. A lot of guys start off strong in April - June, but get worn out by August.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Boboli
Read the article...he's afraid of Wrigley's brick wall...

I doubt his English vocabulary contains euphanisms like "hitting the wall."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:21 pm 
1000 CLUB

I understand him being scared of the Wrigley wall. It's brick. All MLB outfielders are tentative going back for fly balls at Wrigley. You could kill yourself.

But he's feeling for the wall, sometimes, 3 steps before the track. He's just as scared on the road with padded fences.

He should know, after a full season at Wrigley, how many steps it takes before he's worried about the brick wall. Plus, that's what the warning track is for. Hence the title "warning track". You just can't be running full steam until the track cuz sometimes you can't stop. But on lazy fly balls you can glide to the track and reach for the wall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:29 pm 

Maybe he saw what the wall did to Jenna Jameson and wants no part of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:36 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Beardown wrote:
But he's feeling for the wall, sometimes, 3 steps before the track. He's just as scared on the road with padded fences.

Its not a fear issue. Its "I'm a bad outfielder" issue. You can hide a bad outfielder in left field.

Along with running into the wall, I still say he is going to drop a flyball at a key point in a playoff push game because of that stupid hop he does.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
he is a hack in the outfield...that is why he is going to always be among the league leaders in outfield assists, throwing people out taking extra bases after misplaying fly balls and mishandling singles. i always got a kick out of listening to len and bob or pat and ron talking up his penchant for throwing people out like he is a real weapon out there. he just has a good knack for covering up his fuckups with his strong arm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:52 pm 
1000 CLUB

I agree. Most guys wouldn't throw the runner out at second like Soriano because they would have caught it on the fly. He will get more chances for assists.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:57 pm 

he half-asses it out there on foul pops, too. he freaks out over by the bullpen mounds, he looks like he is tip-toeing through a mine field over there. what i REALLY enjoy about his outfield play is when a hitter gets a ground ball single to left, the runner on second attempts to score, and he WHIFFS picking up the ball on a play he really does have a chance to shine and toss a guy out. he tries to swipe that ball up and it is 50/50 if he is going to glove it. LOVE that. then he throws the guy out trying to go to second on the muff, after the run scores. ASSIST!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:14 pm 

man of few opinions wrote:
he is a hack in the outfield...that is why he is going to always be among the league leaders in outfield assists, throwing people out taking extra bases after misplaying fly balls and mishandling singles. i always got a kick out of listening to len and bob or pat and ron talking up his penchant for throwing people out like he is a real weapon out there. he just has a good knack for covering up his fuckups with his strong arm.

It's half-and-half. He has a fucking cannon for an arm. He makes everyone think twice before tagging up.

The landowner effectively owns part shares in millions of part-time slaves called, "taxpayers." -Roy L
A Personal Relationship with Jesus?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:22 pm 

MattInTheCrown wrote:
man of few opinions wrote:

It's half-and-half. He has a fucking cannon for an arm. He makes everyone think twice before tagging up.
i will say this on his behalf...his arm is strong and ACCURATE. he makes some scary-good throws from left. he definitely holds up runners on 3rd from tagging. the fact that they dont tag up on him makes his amount of assists that much more ridiculous. i dont know the exact number, but i'd bet a great many of his assists are at 2nd on attempts by runners to play singles into doubles on bad fielding plays.