It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 10:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: From Peter Gammons....
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:43 pm 
1000 CLUB

- The Cubs will eventually get Brian Roberts. Andy MacPhail has to decide whom he wants. But the Cubs are convinced it will happen.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:50 pm 

BD wrote:
- The Cubs will eventually get Brian Roberts. Andy MacPhail has to decide whom he wants. But the Cubs are convinced it will happen.

When Gammons was saying this, was his head sticking out of Terry Francona's ass? Or was he so far up there that he was actually speaking out of Francona's mouth?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:51 pm 

Hell, if McPhail wants to reclaim his whole crappy farm system, he's welcome to it as far as I'm concerned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
It's Peter Angelos from what all reports are. For some reason he loves Brian Roberts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
i hope this is true, because he is just what that lineup needs. the cubs need to give up whatever prospects they have to and land this guy and get it done before this season starts, and get soriano where he needs to be - 5th or lower in the lineup. they wont win shit with soriano leading off. a genuine leadoff man, and this team could make some noise this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:32 am 

The Cub lineup would be incredibly impressive by adding Roberts. The bottom may be a little weak, as Soto probably had a career year in 07 but 1-6 would be a killer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:12 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
The Cubs will hit homeruns no doubt. But will they be able to manufacture a run when they need to? Fukudome and the addition of Roberts would be a major plus in that category, since their "leadoff man" isn't a leadoff man at all.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:25 am 

good dolphin wrote:
The Cub lineup would be incredibly impressive by adding Roberts. The bottom may be a little weak, as Soto probably had a career year in 07 but 1-6 would be a killer.

Soto played for a month and a half - that's a career year???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:21 am 

spanky wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

His minor league stats were great as well, and he had never had a year like that coming up through the system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:51 am 

Location: In a slightly better place than before each day I remember where I'm going
pizza_Place: My house. I make a good pizza according to my family. I'll take it.
Frank Coztansa wrote:
The Cubs will hit homeruns no doubt. But will they be able to manufacture a run when they need to? Fukudome and the addition of Roberts would be a major plus in that category, since their "leadoff man" isn't a leadoff man at all.

Being held hostage by Soriano's idiosyncrasies (much poorer stats anywhere else in the order) and inability to run any longer means that Roberts is all but a must. Roberts can put the pressure on a defense that has been missing for some time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:10 am 

Hendry better not give up the farm to acquire Roberts because I think he will need to acquire another starter during the season. The Cubs have enough pitching to win the division but if they want to go deep in the playoffs they will need to acquire another proven starter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:40 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
good dolphin wrote:
, as Soto probably had a career year in 07 but 1-6 would be a killer.

What a dumbass thing to say. He's 25, has a grand total of 30 MLB games played and a total of 80 pro at-bats. You're gonna say he had a career year. I expect better GD.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:50 am 

good dolphin wrote:
spanky wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

His minor league stats were great as well, and he had never had a year like that coming up through the system.

Sorry - I misunderstood the term then. Didn't Ty Griffin have a couple of career years? What year was Pie's career year? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:27 pm 

spanky wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
spanky wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Sorry - I misunderstood the term then. Didn't Ty Griffin have a couple of career years? What year was Pie's career year? :wink:

You continue to misunderstand the term. Last year, both the portion in the minors and the portion in the majors, was so far above the norm for Soto that it is illogical to believe he will match the numbers. That is a layman's definition of "career year".

Since the thick headed douchebaggery seems to be running rampant in this thread:

BA- minors last year .353, MLB last year .389, previous high in any year .272

SLG- .652, .667, .417

HR- 26, 3, 9

RBI-109, 8, 48

My comparison is only between last year and previous year's highs. If I were to take his average year the contrast would be even clearer.

In short, Soto had a year that was so phenomenally good it may induce people to extrapolate 2007 for his career. I would recommend penciling him in for .250-5-35 in 2008.

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/players/p ... age/392194

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:35 pm 

Ok - got it now. When you say he had a career year last year, you mean that you expect his numbers this year (a full season in the majors) to be lower than last year's (majority of the season in the minors). In that case, I agree with you, he had a "career year" last year. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:48 pm 

spanky wrote:
Ok - got it now. When you say he had a career year last year, you mean that you expect his numbers this year (a full season in the majors) to be lower than last year's (majority of the season in the minors). In that case, I agree with you, he had a "career year" last year. :D

No, you don't have it yet. I expect his 2008 numbers to be below his AVERAGE numbers in the minors.

In saying career year, I expect that he will NEVER have another season remotely approaching what he did for the combined 2007.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:52 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
spanky wrote:

No, you don't have it yet. I expect his 2008 numbers to be below his AVERAGE numbers in the minors.

In saying career year, I expect that he will NEVER have another season remotely approaching what he did for the combined 2007.

Why on God's green earth would anyone's AAA numbers equal his MLB numbers? that's a given, and has nothing to do with diminishing skills.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:06 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
good dolphin wrote:

Since the thick headed douchebaggery seems to be running rampant in this thread:

BA- minors last year .353, MLB last year .389, previous high in any year .272

SLG- .652, .667, .417

HR- 26, 3, 9

RBI-109, 8, 48

My comparison is only between last year and previous year's highs. If I were to take his average year the contrast would be even clearer.

In short, Soto had a year that was so phenomenally good it may induce people to extrapolate 2007 for his career. I would recommend penciling him in for .250-5-35 in 2008.

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/players/p ... age/392194

thick headed douchebaggery!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:13 pm 

Darkside wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
spanky wrote:

Why on God's green earth would anyone's AAA numbers equal his MLB numbers? that's a given, and has nothing to do with diminishing skills.

Who said anything about diminishing skills?

His AAA numbers from last year do not match his typical minor league numbers. In fact, he was so good last year and ONLY last year, that one should expect a dramatic decrease in production. On the other hand, if he was the type of prospect who hit .300 regularly with power in the minors, I would expect only a small decrease in numbers, if any.

Have I stepped into some odd dimension? Simply look up Geovany Soto on the site I linked. Take a look at his offensive production and 2007 jumps off the page at you. I really could not give a clearer example of a "career year" short of referencing the steriod era.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:24 pm 

Sorry, when you say someone's career year was last year, it sounds to me like you expect that to be his best year, and any year after that would be diminished from his "career year". So, in my perverted opinion, you are predicting diminishing skills from Soto.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Darkside wrote:
Sorry, when you say someone's career year was last year, it sounds to me like you expect that to be his best year, and any year after that would be diminished from his "career year". So, in my perverted opinion, you are predicting diminishing skills from Soto.

To be fair though, dont you expect diminishing results also? Or do you expect him to hit .389 over the whole season?

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:35 pm 

Darkside wrote:

Diminishing success is what I am talking about.

His skills are the same or maybe even a little better.

The one thing that should be transferable is plate discipline. He has always had a good OBP. If he can hit .250 but get on at a .330-.350 rate, that is pretty good for a catcher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:35 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Darkside wrote:

To be fair though, dont you expect diminishing results also? Or do you expect him to hit .389 over the whole season?

No.
I don't however, think you can put someone into the career year catagory when he's got 80 MLB at bats and expects to spend his first season in the bigs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:37 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
I think Soto can take Zambrano. I can't wait for those fisticuffs to start.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:42 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I think Soto can take Zambrano. I can't wait for those fisticuffs to start.

Barrett would have kicked Zambrano's ass in 1999 at AA Walla Walla, but of course, that was Barrett's career year. Zambrano got lucky and caught him on the downside of his career last year. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:42 pm 

pizza_Place: ***
The Prospectus guys are pretty high on him- he's one of the six guys on the cover this year. I think that he could regress AND have a pretty damn good year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
BP has him at 19 HR, 69 RBI, .279 Avg , but yet one of the most valubale young talents in the game. With a WELL above average thowing arm, comparing it to charles Johnson.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:57 pm 

His arm is very good. He's tossed a couple would-be base stealers out this spring and had a couple in his short time up with the club last season. Should help the pitchers a lot as guys used to be able to run like crazy on just about all of them. (Though anything is a step up from Barrett and Kendall's throwing abilities) His defensive skills have impressed me, too. Looking forward to seeing how he'll do in a full season being the guy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
what is nice is that they are giving the guy the job, not making him sweat ever little mistake and at-bat. they dont have anyone else to go to realistically, so he can go out and play, and hopefully show his best over a long period of time. they should do the same with pie, and it looks like they will.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:08 am 

bigfan wrote:
BP has him at 19 HR, 69 RBI, .279 Avg , but yet one of the most valubale young talents in the game. With a WELL above average thowing arm, comparing it to charles Johnson.

Obviously I'd take the under on that, especially the home runs.