It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 9:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wood named closer
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Making three appearances in four days was apparently enough for Cubs manager Lou Piniella to name former starter and oft-injured pitcher Kerry Wood as Chicago's closer for the 2008 season.

Wood struck out two in a scoreless inning Sunday against the Padres and has a 3.60 ERA in 10 innings this spring with 10 strikeouts and no walks.

Piniella quashed any ideas about a closer-by-committee saying Monday that the job was Wood's alone.

"There's no reason he can't pitch three days in a row," Piniella said.

Piniella also said Jason Marquis would be the team's fifth starter while Jon Lieber would hold down the role of long reliever.

Piniella admitted the Cubs would likely need more than five starters during the course of the long season and having Lieber work in long relief will help keep his innings count more in line with a starting pitcher.

As far as other questions surrounding the Cubs batting order, shortstop Ryan Theriot will lead off while left fielder Alfonso Soriano will hit second. Felix Pie has won the starting job in center field and will bat eighth.

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:22 pm 

I'm shocked after the initial blowup that Marquis won the 5th spot outright. His first bad outing combined with Lieber mopping up 4-6 innings in relief effectively will bring the debate out again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:23 pm 

Hawkeye Vince wrote:
I'm shocked after the initial blowup that Marquis won the 5th spot outright. His first bad outing combined with Lieber mopping up 4-6 innings in relief effectively will bring the debate out again.

If Marquis pitches in the Spring like he does historically, the debate will die down again till the All Star break. Im pretty sure by season's end Wood wont be the closer though.

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:25 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
I'd like to see Wood be effective pitching 3 days in a row...or 10 days out of 12.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:59 pm 

Well, now it will be a spring full of "is this the time he gets hurt". I dont like it, I feel for Wood and all his injuries, but to put this guy in as closer is just not giving me a good feeling. With that said, I drafted him on Fantasty last night. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:07 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
FavreFan wrote:
If Marquis pitches in the Spring like he does historically, the debate will die down again till the All Star break. Im pretty sure by season's end Wood wont be the closer though.

You think he'll be middle relief?
Honestly, is there a reason Wood can't start at this point? Or get ready to start?

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:09 pm 

Darkside wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Honestly, is there a reason Wood can't start at this point? Or get ready to start?

No I think he will be injured. Possibly middle relief. He doesnt strike me as a good closer. I could easily be wrong, I dont watch alot of baseball, especially NL baseball.

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
I'm hoping they're planning on trading Marquis soon. The only reason they made him the #5 starter is to put him out there as trade bait.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:24 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
I was in favor of Marmol (who I still think will be a great closer) but this is the best option. Wood has more experience and is best suited to only do 1 inning.

I was against it mainly because of his injury situation. But, if he's on the team and healthy, he is the best option right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:26 pm 

If we learned anything at all from last year, its that our manager will not just sit on his hands and run the same shit up the flag pole everyday. If something is not working....he WILL make changes.

With that, I do not put a lot of stock in anything that is announced now. It is a long season...trades, injuries, good & bad performances. It is nice having Lou in the dugout.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
FavreFan wrote:
Darkside wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

No I think he will be injured. Possibly middle relief. He doesnt strike me as a good closer. I could easily be wrong, I dont watch alot of baseball, especially NL baseball.

he may get hurt, he may not. the guy has pitched well this spring. he has been accurate with his pitches. he has done nothing wrong this spring to say he does not deserve this chance. if he gets hurt, he gets hurt, and someone else moves in to that spot. for now, he looked good, and i feel good about him getting a chance.

marquis has been fine, too. he has been a pleasant surprise. may as well ride him now while he is going good. all three, dempster, marquis and leiber have pitched quite well this spring. im not a fan of dempster starting, but hey, he has been pretty good too.

at this point i dont have too many complaints about the roster. lets play some games that matter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:29 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
He doesnt strike me as a good closer.

Out of curiosity, what are your criteria? He's got a killer fastball, a great slider, good curve. He's got a great WHIP when he's healthy, which he appears to be. He's got plenty experience (IMHO the only "real" advantage over Marmol) What's he missing at this point?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:31 pm 

Darkside wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Out of curiosity, what are your criteria? He's got a killer fastball, a great slider, good curve. He's got a great WHIP when he's healthy, which he appears to be. He's got plenty experience (IMHO the only "real" advantage over Marmol) What's he missing at this point?

Seems like the type of guy that would strike someone out or give up a HR. An All or Nothing type Pitcher. Plus hes never healthy, and hes never been a closer. Seems like you want some level of consistency with your bullpen, Im not sure you get that with him as your closer. I doubt he stays off the Injured List tll July. Like I said before, ive probably watched him pitch like 5 times over the past 5 years, so my opinion isnt the most educated here.

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
What I think is that Lou has named Wood closer, but will use whatever reliever (Wood, Marmol, or Howry) that is either "hottest" or best for the situation. He just named Wood, so the media doesn't create a stink that, "THE CUBS HAVE NO CLOSER! THE SKY IS FALLING!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Gino's East
FavreFan wrote:
Darkside wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Seems like the type of guy that would strike someone out or give up a HR. An All or Nothing type Pitcher...

You can pretty much say that about any closer (or pitcher) for that matter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:52 pm 

Darren - Tinley Park wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Darkside wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Seems like the type of guy that would strike someone out or give up a HR. An All or Nothing type Pitcher...

You can pretty much say that about any closer (or pitcher) for that matter.

I wouldnt say that about Lilly or Garland or a number of them actually.

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:26 pm 

"prior" to his injury, i dont think wood was abnormally susceptable to the HR ball. he didnt give up any in relief last season.

the cubs bullpen isnt really any different than it was last year. the only difference i see is replacing dempster with wood. if they didnt do bullpen by committee with dempster, i dont see why one would assume they will with woody. if he starts as closer and totally sucks, and he is costing them games, they will replace him, just like any team would do with any closer that sucks. if he is good, and he is healthy, he is the closer. i dont see how this is seen as a possible bullpen-by-comittee situation.

this bullpen is the least of this teams worries.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:45 pm 

Wood being named closer is a good move. It is easier physically to be a closer than a set up man. As a closer you know you are only pitching the ninth inning. Most of the time you have ample time to warm up, you come in at the beginning of the inning.

As a set up guy, you might have to get warmed up in a hurry, come on with men on base and maybe pitch more than one inning.

And if Wood struggles, you can still move Marmol to closer. If Wood starts off great then has to miss some time due to injury, you can use Marmol or Howry until Wood comes back. Dempster missed a month last year and came back and was still the closer. It did not derail the Cubs.

I think the starting staff is a bigger question mark/problem. Dempster seems like he was given a starting spot before the spring started and I can't figure out why. Dempster's resume as a starter is pretty weak (an alarming high ERA), and I see him being a weak link. Hill has struggled this spring and Lieber hasn't been an ironman these past few years. I wouldn't trade Marquis quite yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:56 pm 

enigma wrote:
Wood being named closer is a good move. It is easier physically to be a closer than a set up man. As a closer you know you are only pitching the ninth inning. Most of the time you have ample time to warm up, you come in at the beginning of the inning.

As a set up guy, you might have to get warmed up in a hurry, come on with men on base and maybe pitch more than one inning.

And if Wood struggles, you can still move Marmol to closer. If Wood starts off great then has to miss some time due to injury, you can use Marmol or Howry until Wood comes back. Dempster missed a month last year and came back and was still the closer. It did not derail the Cubs.

I think the starting staff is a bigger question mark/problem. Dempster seems like he was given a starting spot before the spring started and I can't figure out why. Dempster's resume as a starter is pretty weak (an alarming high ERA), and I see him being a weak link. Hill has struggled this spring and Lieber hasn't been an ironman these past few years. I wouldn't trade Marquis quite yet.

i agree completely with you on wood, the bullpen, and the starting pitching, except i would still package up marquis in any trade involving brian roberts. his value may not get any higher than it is right now. he has a long history of getting lit up in the summer months. if they can unload him in a move that substantially improves this team, go for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:39 pm 

pizza_Place: ***
No way he can get up to 98 anymore. He's a 92-93 guy now, and he'll need his breaking stuff. I still think he can be effective, but I wouldn't expect 1998-type stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:45 pm 

Irish Boy wrote:
No way he can get up to 98 anymore. He's a 92-93 guy now, and he'll need his breaking stuff. I still think he can be effective, but I wouldn't expect 1998-type stuff.

You think the radar guns are lying?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:04 pm 

pizza_Place: ***
I should be more specific; he won't be hitting those speeds in May. I don't think he can keep it up. He has a fresh arm right now, but he's not a kid anymore, and I think the speeds he was hitting last season are what you'll see in 80% of the games this year. Hey, but if he does, great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:26 pm 

Nas wrote:
FavreFan most guys that become closers have never been closers. Also most starters become closers when they can't stay healthy. Some of the best closers in history were failed starters or injured starters. Wood does seem to be an all or nothing guy but because of the type of guy he is I feel comfortable with him being the closer. How do you think hitters will feel in the 9th when he is throwing 98 with movement? It will seem like he is throwing 110 by then.

Well at least we agree hes an all or nothing guy. I dont necessarily think he is going to be worse than Howry or Marmol, though I think Marmol is the best pitcher of the 3.

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:41 pm 

Irish Boy wrote:
I should be more specific; he won't be hitting those speeds in May. I don't think he can keep it up. He has a fresh arm right now, but he's not a kid anymore, and I think the speeds he was hitting last season are what you'll see in 80% of the games this year. Hey, but if he does, great.

i dont know how anyone can possibly assume how he will be doing in may. the guy is a unknown at this point. he is throwing hard, and pretty effectively. the reports i have read and heard have been he is routinely over 95, and as high as 98. as a closer, it isnt like the guy is going to be throwing 200 or even 100 innings. actually, as a closer, he probably will be the freshest of all the arms in the bullpen because he is only going to pitch 1 inning, in save situations. they will NEVER extend him more than that. i dont even think they will waste him on cheap 3-run lead save opportunities, if they dont need him. it is possible you will have a week where you could get more than 3 save opportunities, occassionally back-to-back, but you likely will average maybe 2-3 appearances a week from the guy over the course of a season. i think closer is the perfect spot for him. for the most part, controlled, 1 inning save situations. as long as he is truly healthy, i dont see him being gassed by may, topping off at 92.

PLAY BALL! and lets find out.

Post subject: WHAT I DON'T GET
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:57 am 

What I don't understand is all this talk that they are doomed if Wood gets hurt if he's the closer.

If he gets hurt they would go to who according to Mariotti and B and B is the greatest closer of all time Carlos Marmol. Marmol aint going anywhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:01 am 

Also Steve Stone has been caught again BSing.

A couple of years ago he went on and on how Wood would make a great closer and it could save his career.

Now that it's happened all of the sudden he'd make the worst of all time and Pinella and Hendry should be taken out and shot for doing this.

Post subject: Re: WHAT I DON'T GET
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:00 am 

parkridgesteph wrote:
What I don't understand is all this talk that they are doomed if Wood gets hurt if he's the closer.

If he gets hurt they would go to who according to Mariotti and B and B is the greatest closer of all time Carlos Marmol. Marmol aint going anywhere.

great point...i agree completely. because the guy has a history of injuries, he shouldnt be allowed to close games? if he gets hurt or sucks, replace him, how are you worse off? if he does well, your bullpen would be stacked, with marmol and howry leading in. i think this is worth a try for sure. i feel a lot better with woody coming in then i ever did with dempster, that is for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:33 am 

they'd have an argument if the Cubs traded Marmol because they had Wood. But I think Marmol is as untouchable as they come.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:50 am 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
I think this is a reallly I mean really bad idea .
I like the guy seems like an okay joe but this has me scared bad real bad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou's, Pequod's
Over /under on how many bottles of Tums Lou will consume this year:

+/- 47 cases

:scratch:

on a serious note; has anyone considered that who finishes the games might be overrated? I mean half the teams don't have even have legitimate closers, and many of the stud closers are on teams that are going nowhere...

I seem to remember Bobby Thigpen saving 57 games on a team that went nowhere, and Lee Smith, he saved plenty of games for teams that finished in the cellar.

As long as they can lock down the games from the 7th on, does it really matter who gets the last out?

Oh wait, i know why people want a closer... it's easier to know WHO TO BLAME !$%@!