It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 12:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:44 am 

Wow, this was a bit much

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com ... s-080417-m

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:50 am 

Just clicked on the link and it came up as page not found.

Perhaps it was too controversial????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:54 am 

sorry, try this

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com ... 81.mp3file

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:58 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Shoutout section...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:53 am 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
not thom, marty.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/04/ ... jor-leagu/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:57 am 

actually, i just listened to it, it is pretty funny. this is the audio:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:03 pm 

Yeah, I see Reds and Brenneman and thought Thom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
man of few opinions wrote:
actually, i just listened to it, it is pretty funny. this is the audio:

:scratch:
enigma already included the link in his second post...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:05 pm 

whoops, sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:54 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
We're the worst fans in the world! ALL RIGHT! Number 1 in something! :lol: :lol:

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:12 pm 
1000 CLUB

I think there are 3 factors here as to why there are greater amounts of incidents at Wrigley.

1. The Cubs sell out every game. So there is a greater chance of having a few ass holes than other teams.

2. There is such a tense atmosphere at that park. It's different than any other park. Even when other parks are sold out. Every pitch is life and death at Wrigley. It just seems that way on TV. You can feel it. So, that makes for a greater likely hood for people to act like idiots. A way to release tension and anxiety for some people.

3. Just drunks acting like idiots.

I think the park is more tense because the White Sox and Red Sox have won titles. The Cubs are all alone as the longest losers. I think the Indians are next with a 50 year drought or so. Cubs fans always wanted a title. Now it's just more than ever cuz they are the last laughing stock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:00 pm 

Beardown wrote:
I think there are 3 factors here as to why there are greater amounts of incidents at Wrigley.

1. The Cubs sell out every game. So there is a greater chance of having a few ass holes than other teams.

2. There is such a tense atmosphere at that park. It's different than any other park. Even when other parks are sold out. Every pitch is life and death at Wrigley. It just seems that way on TV. You can feel it. So, that makes for a greater likely hood for people to act like idiots. A way to release tension and anxiety for some people.

3. Just drunks acting like idiots.

I think the park is more tense because the White Sox and Red Sox have won titles. The Cubs are all alone as the longest losers. I think the Indians are next with a 50 year drought or so. Cubs fans always wanted a title. Now it's just more than ever cuz they are the last laughing stock.

How many people at the park really care about that though? Pretty much no one in the bleachers, plus you get more tourists in Wrigley in one game then the Sox can draw all year. I don’t disagree with much of what he said, I think Cub fans are just as bad as Boston sport fans. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t generalize the entire base, the majority of Cub fans love the team, but I don’t think many at the park care.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:04 pm 

People act like dicks at Wrigley because they're allowed to.

During my first and only visit to Wrigley, I was surprised by two things: (1) the terrible racial slurs directed at my fiends, and (2) the fact that nobody in the stands cared.

Instead, the people around us just shrugged and said "hey, it's just a couple drunks." Like it was the most natural thing in the world.

Maybe it's only 2% of the fans who cause trouble. But until the other 98% decides to give a shit, I'm not giving any of them a free pass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
Marty's a old piece of shit and the Reds organization is a f-ing joke. The manager of his team is a crybaby loser. The favorite son only came home to become injury-prone. The greatest player their organization ever literally gambled his legacy away. The biggest name they have in the HOF is a self-righteous, egomaniacal, know-it-all has been. They haven't won a division in 13 years, and from the looks of it won't win one for a few more. Marty can suck it, The Big Red Machine can suck it, and their inbred, animal-fking fan base can suck it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:20 pm 

I also forgot to mention that their beloved former owner was a Nazi and let her flea infested rat of a dog shit all over the field. CLASSY!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:34 pm 

Colonel Angus wrote:
Marty's a old piece of shit and the Reds organization is a f-ing joke. The manager of his team is a crybaby loser. The favorite son only came home to become injury-prone. The greatest player their organization ever literally gambled his legacy away. The biggest name they have in the HOF is a self-righteous, egomaniacal, know-it-all has been. They haven't won a division in 13 years, and from the looks of it won't win one for a few more. Marty can suck it, The Big Red Machine can suck it, and their inbred, animal-fking fan base can suck it.

That is some serious anger, Colonel. Might be Miller time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:06 pm 

Ryno's Wife wrote:
Colonel Angus wrote:

MILLER! That's White Sox beer! How dare you!

:P :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:30 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
courtesy flush wrote:

During my first and only visit to Wrigley, I was surprised by two things: (1) the terrible racial slurs directed at my fiends, and (2) the fact that nobody in the stands cared.

Instead, the people around us just shrugged and said "hey, it's just a couple drunks." Like it was the most natural thing in the world.

I've probably been to a couple hundred games in all parts of the park and I have NEVER heard anything REMOTELY like that.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Viccinos Pizza in Downtown Glenview.
It's the biggest bar in Chicago, bars have idiots ((rookies/newbies/ameaturs) whatever you want to call them) at them all the time. I don't think it's a big deal, if radio and TV peeps didn't talk about I don't think people would do it that much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:13 pm 

Colonel Angus wrote:

I also forgot to mention that their beloved former owner was a Nazi and let her flea infested rat of a dog shit all over the field. CLASSY!

Epic.

The landowner effectively owns part shares in millions of part-time slaves called, "taxpayers." -Roy L
A Personal Relationship with Jesus?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:18 pm 

Ryno's Wife wrote:

Colonel Angus wrote:
MILLER! That's White Sox beer! How dare you!

:P :wink:

Please feel free to substitute the alcoholic beverage of your choice, or any other mood altering substance that makes you happy!

:drunken: :drunken: :drunken:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:39 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
MARTY IS A HYPOCRITE!!! THIS GUY ENCOURAGED ENDANGERING AN UMPIRE

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.h ... A96E948260

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:41 pm 
1000 CLUB

Well look at that. Marty would be a great Cubs fan. You're right Woody.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:36 pm 

courtesy flush wrote:

Maybe it's only 2% of the fans who cause trouble. But until the other 98% decides to give a shit, I'm not giving any of them a free pass.

Hey CF, I have been to plenty games at both parks and when I attend a Sox games, the racial slurs are used as part of normal language. I have found this to be just part of growing up in the Bridgeport, Southside white areas. This does not mean they are being directed at anyone, it was just used in a very negative tone of conversation.

Going to a Cubs game, I have never once seen any types of Racial comments. Not even in passing conversation.

This doesn't mean it does not happen, but working with and going to school with plenty of southside people, the racial slurs are much more prevalent in southside society,

YES
3% [ 4 ]
NO
69% [ 70 ]
YES, BUT NOT WITH THE SAME SHOW
26% [ 27 ]

Total Votes : 101

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:41 pm 
1000 CLUB

You act like the only people going to Sox games are from the South side. Not the case.

I'm being honest here. I've never heard racial slurs at Sox games. I've been to close to 100 in my life probably. I've never heard slurs at Cubs games either.

Doesn't mean it doesn't happen. We all have our own experiences.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Beardown wrote:
You act like the only people going to Sox games are from the South side. Not the case.

I'm being honest here. I've never heard racial slurs at Sox games. I've been to close to 100 in my life probably. I've never heard slurs at Cubs games either.

Doesn't mean it doesn't happen. We all have our own experiences.

+1. I havent been to a Cubs game in awhile, but I've been to lots of Sox games and Ive never heard a racial slur there either --- unless black people calling eachother n----- is considered a racial slur.

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:29 pm 

pizza_Place: ***
I've never heard anything at either park either.

The worst experiences I've had have been at Wrigley with Sox fans being obnoxious. I don't usually sit in the bleachers however so that could have an impact. I've been at the Cell a fair number of times as well but I've never had a bad experience with fans there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:51 am 

Colonel Angus wrote:

+1 Agreed... and you stole the words out from my keyboard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:54 pm 

On Saturday afternoon 4/19's Reds broadcast (which I heard on XM Satellite Radio), Marty Brennaman said a ball was called on a Milwaukee Brewers batter in the top half of the first inning. I think it was Jeff Brantley who said after that, "I think it was a strike", and then Marty went off-mike (but didn't pot it down all the way) and said, "Don't you ever f***ing challenge me!" It sounded as if Marty and Jeff were having a heated argument, which could be barely heard for close to 12 seconds before XM came in with an "MLB on XM" bumper, then Marty, sounding noticeably irritated, returned to call the game.

http://www.radio-info.com/smf/index.php ... 0.html#top

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:10 pm 

Location: In a slightly better place than before each day I remember where I'm going
pizza_Place: My house. I make a good pizza according to my family. I'll take it.
Chuckle Nuts wrote:
On Saturday afternoon 4/19's Reds broadcast (which I heard on XM Satellite Radio), Marty Brennaman said a ball was called on a Milwaukee Brewers batter in the top half of the first inning. I think it was Jeff Brantley who said after that, "I think it was a strike", and then Marty went off-mike (but didn't pot it down all the way) and said, "Don't you ever f***ing challenge me!" It sounded as if Marty and Jeff were having a heated argument, which could be barely heard for close to 12 seconds before XM came in with an "MLB on XM" bumper, then Marty, sounding noticeably irritated, returned to call the game.

http://www.radio-info.com/smf/index.php ... 0.html#top

I'm telling you, the man needs a double dose of fiber stat. :lol: