It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:50 am 
1000 CLUB

I'll try to keep this short, but for many years I've been a huge Sox fan while maintaining an interest in Cub baseball. Many reasons for this but I've never been one of those Cub hating Sox fans. I'll watch most games and when they win it's fine, when they lose or have something crazy happen it entertains me too unlike the Sox who get me all angry and down when they lose (yes I take it too seriously sometimes). Hell, for years the Cubs have given me relief on a weekday night when both teams are playing. The Sox will be losing or in a bad situation and I need a break from it so I'll flip on the Cubs and just be able to watch a local team indifferently whether they win or lose.

Although I said I'm not a Cub hater, there has always been MANY guys on their team that I have despised from Sammy to Dusty to Barrett to Prior. I have to admit though, the 2008 Cubs are a VERY easy team to like and cheer for. Lou is highly entertaining and a crazy old man. There are lots of players from their farm system contributing (Soto and Theriot in particular) who are just good baseball players and hard to dislike. Hell, the only guy I don't like on the team is Howry right now. Don't get me wrong I'll always be a Sox fan, but it's been really nice this year to enjoy watching both teams play and win. Wish it happened in this city more often and that the petty bickering and jabs between fans would go away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:54 am 

My perspective: they lost a series on the road to a very good home team. There is no shame in that and it is similar to how I felt after Tampa. The troubling trend is Javier Vazquez' rising ERA.

This is the first time in 5 years where it was apparent the Cubs were the better team. I expect things to be better next weekend, but the Sox are still nothing better than a competitive group.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:59 am 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
as a cubs fan, i feel no better about this weekends wins being against the sox than i do if it was against any other team. at this point in the season, just win as many games as you can, whether against a first place club or a lousy one. i root for the cubs, and all the other teams are equal to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
The Cubs' dominance at home this season and in this series vs. the White Sox is part of the growing trend in Major League Baseball. While Sox fans should be concerned about the really bad starts from Jose Contreras & Javier Vasquez in the 2 weekend games, Cub fans should be very encouraged by plenty of things. The Cubs got a really good start last night from Ryan Dempster, along with the potent offense that can score runs in bunches. Besides that, since Lou Piniella started filling out the lineup card, he's now a remarkable 8-1 vs. the Sox, while Ozzie Guillen is 10-17 vs. the Cubs. I'd guard against a potential letdown vs. Baltimore this week before heading over to U.S. Cellular Field next weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
These games were no more important than any other ones. It just felt better overall to see shit on the face of the foolish white sox fans that said before hand that the Soxs were gonna sweep the Cubs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:30 pm 
1000 CLUB

Chris_in_joliet wrote:
These games were no more important than any other ones. It just felt better overall to see shit on the face of the foolish white sox fans that said before hand that the Soxs were gonna sweep the Cubs

Wow you're a fool. The whole purpose of this post was to get away from the petty childish crap you just wrote above. Be gone moron.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
hawkeye wrote:
Although I said I'm not a Cub hater, there has always been MANY guys on their team that I have despised from Sammy to Dusty to Barrett to Prior. I have to admit though, the 2008 Cubs are a VERY easy team to like and cheer for. Lou is highly entertaining and a crazy old man. There are lots of players from their farm system contributing (Soto and Theriot in particular) who are just good baseball players and hard to dislike. Hell, the only guy I don't like on the team is Howry right now. Don't get me wrong I'll always be a Sox fan, but it's been really nice this year to enjoy watching both teams play and win. Wish it happened in this city more often and that the petty bickering and jabs between fans would go away.

I agree with the slight differences of disliking Soriano and Zambrano. Going back years I have never liked them and never will. The rest of the team, like you say, is hard to dislike.

hawkeye wrote:
Chris_in_joliet wrote:

Wow you're a fool. The whole purpose of this post was to get away from the petty childish crap you just wrote above. Be gone moron.

Dont bother with Chris in Joliet, when his wife isnt in leather straps whipping his ass, he is talking shit about the Sox like there is no tomorrow. His word means absolutely zero here. Same with Elmhurst Steve. I agree with you this is a likeable, great Cubs team I will continue to root for DESPITE the asshole, insecure Cubs fans that feel a need to validate their success by comparing them to the Sox.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:51 pm 
1000 CLUB

hawkeye wrote:
I'll try to keep this short, but for many years I've been a huge Sox fan while maintaining an interest in Cub baseball. Many reasons for this but I've never been one of those Cub hating Sox fans. I'll watch most games and when they win it's fine, when they lose or have something crazy happen it entertains me too unlike the Sox who get me all angry and down when they lose (yes I take it too seriously sometimes). Hell, for years the Cubs have given me relief on a weekday night when both teams are playing. The Sox will be losing or in a bad situation and I need a break from it so I'll flip on the Cubs and just be able to watch a local team indifferently whether they win or lose.

+1

The best thing this weekend's series has meant to me as a Cubs fan is the Cubs are back to 20 over after looking like little leaguer's against the Rays.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:05 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
I will continue to root for DESPITE the asshole, insecure Cubs fans that feel a need to validate their success by comparing them to the Sox.

i've always done the same, only inverting the two teams in the above post.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
W_Z wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
I will continue to root for DESPITE the asshole, insecure Cubs fans that feel a need to validate their success by comparing them to the Sox.

:salut: You're one of the good guys Zach.

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
When you have guys like DeRosa who is willing to play any position the team needs him to play, Fukadome, who will bunt without having the manager call for it, but rather because the situation calls for the batter to make sure to move the runner, and guys like Lee and Ramirez, who produce big numbers, but don't act like they are prima-donna's, it is easy to like the team. Plus, guys like Reed Johnson and Jim Edmonds, picked up after their teams released them, are contributing. Nice stories there. Kerry Wood, coming back and tied for the saves lead in the N.L. after looking like he might be done, due to injuries halfway through last year. This is a team that is filled with feel good stories about likeable players.
I will not respond to FarveFan, as it would compromise the intended tenor of this thread.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
W_Z wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Same here. Dad was a Sox fan, Gramps was a Cubs fan. I hated the Sox for a while, but as I got older I found it was fun to have an affair with the Sox.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:36 pm 

nothing wrong with being BiSidual.

And no, I didn't mean BiSoxual...an errant word misused and created by Jurko. BiSoxual should mean you root for both the Red Sox and the White Sox, not the Cubs and the White Sox.

But aaannyway...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:45 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
My perspective is this.

I wish my team were this good, and they remind me a lot of the 2005 White Sox. Except that the Sox bullpen was better, but this team scores more runs, which I think makes them more dangerous.

There. Now cuck the Fubs. :twisted:

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:58 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Papa Dells
Frank Coztansa wrote:
My perspective is this.

I wish my team were this good, and they remind me a lot of the 2005 White Sox. Except that the Sox bullpen was better, but this team scores more runs, which I think makes them more dangerous.

There. Now cuck the Fubs. :twisted:

Oh Franklin, you are a chubby little rascal. Are those grapes really that sour?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:59 am 
1000 CLUB

Elmhurst Steve wrote:
When you have guys like DeRosa who is willing to play any position the team needs him to play, Fukadome, who will bunt without having the manager call for it, but rather because the situation calls for the batter to make sure to move the runner, and guys like Lee and Ramirez, who produce big numbers, but don't act like they are prima-donna's, it is easy to like the team. Plus, guys like Reed Johnson and Jim Edmonds, picked up after their teams released them, are contributing. Nice stories there. Kerry Wood, coming back and tied for the saves lead in the N.L. after looking like he might be done, due to injuries halfway through last year. This is a team that is filled with feel good stories about likeable players.
I will not respond to FarveFan, as it would compromise the intended tenor of this thread.

Completely agree and that reminds me of one player I used to really dislike in Ramirez. He's done a very good job this year and eliminated the perceived laziness and showboating that made me dislike him in the first place.