It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Cubs vs Sox Part II
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:32 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
The Cubs will be coming off two series' at home and avoiding travel. The Sox will be having to travel back from L.A. after a 2:10 game on Thursday. It was almost a reverse situation last week, but the Cubs were able to overcome the situation and dispatch the South Siders with a clean sweep. Will the Cubs go into the Cell and have similar success this weekend? Or will the Sox get some revenge? The worst that can happen, is that the Sox sweep and even the season record between the clubs. But I highly doubt that will happen. I would think the Cubs take 2 of 3, knocking the Sox out of first place, as the Twins overtake the Sox temporarily. In the end, its the Tigers who win the division, with the Twins in second and the Sox in third place. Meanwhile, the Cubs win their division over the Cards and Brewers, win the World Series and set Chicago on its ear. :wink: Dempster, Gallagher and Marshall will pitch for the Cubs. The Sox have dropped 6 of their last 8 decisions to Left handed starters, with 1 no decision. Don't be surprised if Marshall has a good game against the Sox, as they just are not hitting southpaws well (.235 avg.)

Post subject: Re: Cubs vs Sox Part II
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:56 am 

My gut says Marshall gets rocked. Hope not...but I can see the Sox lighting him up with the long ball. The other night...Marshall looked great for 3 innings...then...not so much.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:11 am 

The Sox bats will be a little louder at home this weekend than they were on the North side. I will say the Sox win 2 out of 3, and hope that I am wrong.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:30 am 

According to the Sun-Times, Dempster will be moved up to Friday while Gallagher is pushed back to Saturday.

I would like to have seen Dempster get that extra day or rest. Dempster hasn't thrown 200 innings in a season in 6 years so you have to be a little worried about fatigue. When presented with an opportunity, why not give Dempster a day off. I believe his last 3 starts he has averaged nearly 110 pitches.

Plus he will miss the Cardinal series either way, unless Lou continues to juggle his rotation.

Lou is right for worrying about giving his lineup rest, but he seems to be riding Dempster and Zambrano (before he was put on the DL) quite hard.

Last edited by enigma on Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:04 am 

pizza_Place: Gino's East
It would be nice to see Dempster get that extra day of rest. Maybe Lou justs wants to set the tone for the series by having Dempster go first since he shut down the Sox on Sunday. It may not even matter, since they're calling for a lot of rain tomorrow, so we may see a double header on Saturday. I don't have much faith in Marshall facing the Sox, especially on such a large national stage (ESPN).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:01 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Sox take at least 2 of 3. O's showed that the Cub are indeed human the past 3 games and so will the Sox.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:09 pm 

Location: In a slightly better place than before each day I remember where I'm going
pizza_Place: My house. I make a good pizza according to my family. I'll take it.
Darren - Tinley Park wrote:
It would be nice to see Dempster get that extra day of rest. Maybe Lou justs wants to set the tone for the series by having Dempster go first since he shut down the Sox on Sunday. It may not even matter, since they're calling for a lot of rain tomorrow, so we may see a double header on Saturday. I don't have much faith in Marshall facing the Sox, especially on such a large national stage (ESPN).

No doubt the Marshall game will be a loss. The Sox at home are very good and Marshall is...n't. I hope I'm wrong, but I see the Sox winning two this weekend. Good weekend to go fishing and avoid rampant meatballery. :fish:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:06 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Sox take at least 2 of 3. O's showed that the Cub are indeed human the past 3 games and so will the Sox.

Frank's right on with this one. Just like last week when Tampa showed that the Cubs were human and then the Sox backed it up in the very next series at Wrigley. Oh wait, that didn't happen? My bad.......

Great logic, Frank. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:27 pm 

The Cubs likely will lose 2/3 though, just based on the home/road records and the pitching matchups. I don't see why this is such an outlandish scenario for other Cubs fans.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:43 pm 

would it really be so bad to lose 2 out of 3 to the sox?

the cubs can still stay in first place if that happens...so whatever. let the sox fans rejoice if they sweep the cubs or they take 2 out of 3. hell, the sox NEED to win 2 out of 3 since they're only a half game up on the twins.

i'm more concerned with the month of july, august and september...june was fun...but it's JUNE.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
The worst that can happen, is that the Sox sweep and even the season record between the clubs.

Friday: Dempster has to come out in the 2nd inning after an awkward looking pitch. MRIs reveal later that he's out for the season after he's torn both ACLs. In the bottom of the 3rd, Soto running over to cover a ball in foul ground, flips over the railing by the dugout and lands on his head. Doctors are ruling it a concussion. In his haste to try to break Soto's fall, Murton was running towards him and didn't notice the peanut shells on the ground. Slipped through them and pulled his hamstring and is day to day. Top of the sixth, Cubs down 28-2, DeRosa swings and misses on a ball, but loses his grip on the bat. The bat goes flying into Fontenot face who was warming up on deck. Fontenot is rushed into surgery for a broken jaw, broken orbital bone, and severe facial swelling. To top it off, an unruly fan jumps into the bullpen and is able to put a few good licks on Wuertz before the rest of the team can come to his aid -- Wuertz with a broken pitching arm. The Cubs end up losing by a total of 36-2 and Edmonds gets a phone call from his wife informing him that his dog died.

Saturday: Piniella slips getting into the shower and dislocates his kneecap, and the doctor orders him to stay at home on bedrest for a couple of days. Howry grabs the hot handle of a frying pan while making bacon and eggs and burns and blisters his pitching hand. Theriot rides to the ball park, sees a squirrel in front of him and swerves to avoid hitting the squirrel. Both he and the squirrel are OK. Game begins, and the Cubs are up 1-0 after the top of the first. White Sox load em up for Thome, grand slam. Then they load em up for Alexei Ramirez, grand slam. Finally they load them up for AJ, inside the park grand slam (some people thought it should have been ruled a double and an error by Patterson.) On the next play, Gallagher gets Thome to pop the ball up (the good part) -- no communication between Theriot, Ramirez, or Patterson and they all collide. Each one breaks their collarbone, and Thome's standing up on second base. After the top of the fifth, the score is 19-1 White Sox. Cabrera is on first and the steal sign is on. Blanco takes the pitch, throws a fast one to second, but Lieber can't get out of the way in time and takes it off his head. He's out with a concussion. Cabrera slides spikes first and accidentally takes out Cedeno by breaking his fibula. Not much happens the rest of the game, and the White Sox win 83-4.

Sunday: MLB issues a report on players that have been caught with illegal drugs in their system. Lee, Ward, and Zambrano are suspended (Zambrano's suspension will start the first day he is off the DL.) Bottom of the first, first pitch is a fastball from Marshall. Cabrera hits it deep into the rightfield corner. A 450 pound man leans over to catch it, falls out of the stands and lands on Fukudome's ankle, dislocating his foot. They try to bandage him up and keep him in the game. During the middle of the third inning, a crazed squirrel comes running across the field and attacks Theriot by biting him in the neck. Scientists would later determine that this was the very same squirrel that Theriot had possibly attempted to kill the day before. Theriot loses 3 pints of blood before his condition is stabilized. Still, after the seventh inning, the Cubs hold a slim 4-3 lead. Marmol comes into pitch to try to at least salvage one game of the series. He takes care of the inning three up, three down. Heading into the dugout, he trips over his own shoe and does a facial down the steps. He is taken to the training room to be stitched up, but the swelling is too great over his eyes and he won't be able to come back. Wood comes up in the ninth and gives up a first pitch solo shot to tie the game at 4-4. He walks Cabrera, and then walks A.J. The next pitch gets away from him and the runners advance. He then intentionally walks Quentin. This leaves Dye up. Dye works it to a full count. Wood then takes a few steps off the mound and heads towards the dugout. The crowd is in an uproar trying to figure out what is happening. He gets the bullpen phone patched into the PA, says that he's not born to be a closer -- he should be a starter. This pressure is too much, the Cubs fans want too much from him. He's announcing his retirement effective immediately. The Cubs have no choice but to go to Neil Cotts to close. He hangs a change-up, Dye knocks out the grand salami ... Sox win 8-3, this ball game is ovvahhhhh.

Elmhurst Steve wrote:
But I highly doubt that will happen.

Yeah, me neither.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:27 pm 

I am not feeling so good about this series. Sox play well at home and the Cubs are starting to show like a team with injuries, so if they get out with one win I can live with that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:52 pm 

Rodeo-come on man! You gotta be lookin for 8, when they pull that gate, not just hoping not to get hurt. Gotta be looking for 2 here. Dempster can get it started and then with the Cubs taking 4 straight against the Sox, the pressure will build and perhaps they press a bit. Plus, even though they beat the Dodgers today, who started a lefty, they only scored 2 runs in the game. They had lost 6 of their last 8 decisions to lefty starters, prior to yesterdays start. They do not hit left handers well-at only a .235 clip. So maybe Marshall has a shot. I am sure of one thing-it will not be dull.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:53 pm 
1000 CLUB

Frank Coztansa wrote:

Meathead.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:26 am 
1000 CLUB

Frank Coztansa wrote:

wait a sec frank - WYC? WTF did the Rays show vs the Cubs DIRECTLY before the Cubs swept the southsiders?? I don't buy your meatball argument here for one bit pal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:28 am 
1000 CLUB

trickybeck wrote:
The Cubs likely will lose 2/3 though, just based on the home/road records and the pitching matchups. I don't see why this is such an outlandish scenario for other Cubs fans.

I mean, i wouldn't say that I find it outlandish in the least bit. But based on home records, the Cubs should have taken 2 of 3 from the O's. I liken it to - this week the opposite seems to be happening for the Cubs. I wouldn' doubt the Sox could easily take 2 of 3 from the Cubs, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see the Cubs just go ahead and win the series and get back to 20 over.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:50 am 

pizza_Place: Obbies
How in the heck does this sound? 1 win a piece and a rainout. The game to be rescheduled if need be at the end of the year. At the end of the year the Sox and Twinkies are knotted and the Cubs and Redbirds are tied. Winner makes the playoffs loser goes home!

I'm out.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:48 am 

Sounds unlikely. The Cubs should not be in any situation like you describe. They should have the division wrapped up. If not, based on having the best record currently, they would have an outstanding chance for the wild card, should the Cardinals or Brewers go on some ungodly streak, like Colorado did last year to make the playoffs. But if the scenario did play out, it would make for one hell of an exciting atmosphere. Sox fans might even get excited and make some noise, without a scoreboard telling them to. :wink: Then, after the Cubs dispatched the Sox and they were eliminated from the playoffs, the Sox fans would trash their ballpark-making it fit in with the neighborhood a bit better than it currently does.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:03 am 

Tell you what, Sox fans, let's make this easier than last weekend. You give us half of your money, then we'll take you out back and kick you in the groin and we'll call it even.

Or....you can just take the loss of at least 2 out of 3 games and like it!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:05 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
as a Cubs fan, it's easy to believe that the Cubs have a playoff spot sewn up due to their record and fallback on the wild card if St. Louis or Milwaukee gets on a run...but what about Sox fans? Do they believe now that the Sox have a good chance to make the playoffs?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:17 am 

I wish Soriano was going to get a chance to hit in the bandbox, er, the Cell.

The landowner effectively owns part shares in millions of part-time slaves called, "taxpayers." -Roy L
A Personal Relationship with Jesus?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:51 am 

Soriano's injuries are the best thing that could happen to the Cubs...he's the least patient hitter in the entire lineup and goes hot and cold the entire season...they're a better team without him and his lousy defense.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:17 am 

The major question is will Lou make sure to bring the Wrigley rats with him across town?

A warrior is not afraid to bloody his sword.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:52 am 

Quote:
Rodeo-come on man! You gotta be lookin for 8, when they pull that gate, not just hoping not to get hurt. Gotta be looking for 2 here. Dempster can get it started and then with the Cubs taking 4 straight against the Sox, the pressure will build and perhaps they press a bit. Plus, even though they beat the Dodgers today, who started a lefty, they only scored 2 runs in the game. They had lost 6 of their last 8 decisions to lefty starters, prior to yesterdays start. They do not hit left handers well-at only a .235 clip. So maybe Marshall has a shot. I am sure of one thing-it will not be dull.

Steve, I playing it low key like last week so I dont jinx them...lol.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:53 am 

I think Lou will bring the rats and employ them as security for our first base coach :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
City of Fools wrote:
Soriano's injuries are the best thing that could happen to the Cubs...he's the least patient hitter in the entire lineup and goes hot and cold the entire season...they're a better team without him and his lousy defense.

ridiculous statement. like him or not, to say they are better without him in the lineup is just plain silly. you'd rather have who play left, patterson? reed johnson? micah hoffpauier? ill tolerate the some crappy defense in exchange for his offensive production.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:31 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Jason in Highland wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

wait a sec frank - WYC? WTF did the Rays show vs the Cubs DIRECTLY before the Cubs swept the southsiders?? I don't buy your meatball argument here for one bit pal

Keep buying spanky's and steve's then.

The O's beat the Cub much more soundly than the Rays did. The Cubs were in every game of that Rays series until the last pitch. 3 K's in the 9th with the bases loaded Monday and yesterday's debacle was cearly worse than anything that happened in Tampa.

As far as those rats, most of them seem to be posting in this thread.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:36 pm 

I restate my case....Soriano gets hot for one month and last year he did carry the Cubs -For That Month-...but he's exactly what the Cubs have finally gotten away from this year. The goal is to win a World Series...Soriano is not a leadoff hitter on a WS team, IMO

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
City of Fools wrote:
I restate my case....Soriano gets hot for one month and last year he did carry the Cubs -For That Month-...but he's exactly what the Cubs have finally gotten away from this year. The goal is to win a World Series...Soriano is not a leadoff hitter on a WS team, IMO

agreed that he isnt a leadoff hitter, but after his icy cold start, soriano had been consistently hitting before his injury. soriano actually has been very productive in the leadoff spot, due to the consistent ability of the lower third of the order to get on. i didnt think so initially, but i think this lineup is good enough that it can win with him batting leadoff.

regardless of where he hits, the lineup is better with him in it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:13 pm 

1/2 inning so far, and DP Lee is already gettin' his DP on.

The landowner effectively owns part shares in millions of part-time slaves called, "taxpayers." -Roy L
A Personal Relationship with Jesus?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next