It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:41 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
All right, that was a master stroke adding Harden...but we know Hendry's not done yet...what's next?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:43 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
City of Fools wrote:
All right, that was a master stroke adding Harden...but we know Hendry's not done yet...what's next?

I'll wager that's about all you'll see. Unless they can deal Marquis (who might not be the 5th starter now) for a bullpen guy that can help them in the playoffs (god willing).

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:52 am 

I think everyone is counting too much on Edmonds, except Hendry...perhaps I am in the minority, but I see a centerfielder coming...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:54 am 

I think you still try to add to the bullpen. A guy like Fuentes from Colorado would look nice against a tough left handed hitter. I don't know if his contract would be a problem.

Howry's velocity still doesn't seem to be where it was late last year, Cotts has shown flashes of his 2005 self but I still have concerns. Wuertz has only one effective pitch, the slider, and if that doesn't work he is toast.

The lineup is fine, the rotation is strong and deep, I am of the opinion that you can never have enough bullpen depth.

Does Marquis or Marshall become the 5th starter? My guess is Marquis is given the slot now but if he has a couple of bad outings, the Cubs quickly turn to Marshall or even Gaudin.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:55 am 

Just depends. They no longer have the sway to get someone truly difference-making. Trade bait includes Marquis, Cedeno, and Hoffpauir maybe, along w/ whatever notable scraps are in the minors.

The only forseeable move would maybe be a straight up trade w/ Marquis for a similar iffy 5th starter.

A warrior is not afraid to bloody his sword.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:56 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Left-handed relief pitcher for sure.
Possibly a right-handed bat off the bench.

Interesting about the starters.
Lou has said all along that he wants two lefties in the rotation.
Marquis has said he can't pitch well out of the pen.
This is a dilemma.

Former host of The Outdoors Experience on WIND and The Great Outdoors on CLTV
http://www.wefishasa.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:47 am 

Trade for a starter that will be healthy enough to start game 2 of the playoffs. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:20 pm 

UrlachersOranjKleats wrote:
Just depends. They no longer have the sway to get someone truly difference-making. Trade bait includes Marquis, Cedeno, and Hoffpauir maybe, along w/ whatever notable scraps are in the minors.

The only forseeable move would maybe be a straight up trade w/ Marquis for a similar iffy 5th starter.

I disagree with you on that assesment of the Cubs minor league system. Veal, Samarja (spelled wrong), yes Hoffpauir, Pie...these are not scraps. the Cubs will have chips if need be...I just don't know if they will think they "need be"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:13 pm 

I still wonder if Hendry might not revisit the Brian Roberts deal. If they would take Donnie Veal with Hoffpauir and maybe Fontenot I would make the deal. They still lack a true leadoff hitter, who can put pressure on the opposing defense with a high on bace percentage and a real threat to steal bases. In the playoffs, it will become much more important that they be able to manufacture runs, as they will be facing top pitchers. I hope Roberts remains a possibility.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
I still wonder if Hendry might not revisit the Brian Roberts deal. If they would take Donnie Veal with Hoffpauir and maybe Fontenot I would make the deal. They still lack a true leadoff hitter, who can put pressure on the opposing defense with a high on bace percentage and a real threat to steal bases. In the playoffs, it will become much more important that they be able to manufacture runs, as they will be facing top pitchers. I hope Roberts remains a possibility.

I think the Roberts deal was more media speculation then reality and it was mostly proven by some of the media reports claiming the Cubs were never close to matching players. You would be looking at losing at least 2 prospects and a starter.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:06 pm 

why are you quoting elmhurst steve? i was having a peaceful day...and now i'm blinded by rage.

brian roberts...jesus christ. get rid of fontenot...ugh. ow. ow. OW.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:26 pm 

W_Z wrote:
why are you quoting elmhurst steve? i was having a peaceful day...and now i'm blinded by rage.

Brian Roberts is a guy who has an on Base Pct of about .375 with 50 steals a year and a batting average of around .300 . He is also a guy who hits from either side of the plate. He is the proto-typical leadoff hitter. If you want that kind of guy, you have to be willing to give up a great prospect like Veal, along with guys like Fontenot, who could fill in the spot at 2nd that Roberts would leave and another young player with promise, like Hoffpauir. Leadoff hitters are the tough guys to get via a trade, as there are so few good ones. If you don't recognize the value Roberts has, it is apparent that whether by Rage or other causes, you are indeed blind.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
once soriano comes back, i dont think id be fucking with that lineup. bringing in roberts would have a domino effect on the lineup, moving guys around, trying to find another spot for soriano. the lineup that has been working best for the cubs has soriano leading off (i cant believe i am saying that), theriot, lee, ramirez, fuku, soto, edmonds, and derosa. soriano has actually been getting a lot of rbi chances thanks to the success of the bottom of that order.

i dont see a glaring weakness anywhere that needs filling, but another lefty in the pen would be nice, if you could maybe trade marquis somehow. lost in all this is the fact that the cubs still have jon leiber in the pen. they have starters galore down there, i dont think you need 2 starters rotting in the bullpen. i can see them sticking with marshall in the rotation, keeping leiber or marquis, but one of those guys has to go.

yeah, my bet would be a lefty to go with cotts and eyre, and marquis somehow getting moved.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:42 pm 

there is absolutely no reason to change the lineup. you're right, man of the few opinions...a lefty in the bullpen would be spectacular, along with getting rid of marquis...i'm just so sick of seeing him go to the mound.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
W_Z wrote:

Sorry, ive been drinking again. And i have an itch.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:16 am 

City of Fools wrote:
UrlachersOranjKleats wrote:

I disagree with you on that assesment of the Cubs minor league system. Veal, Samarja (spelled wrong), yes Hoffpauir, Pie...these are not scraps. the Cubs will have chips if need be...I just don't know if they will think they "need be"

Scraps was just a weak generalization based on that the Cubs just moved a lot of their bigger AAA/MLB tweener names.

A warrior is not afraid to bloody his sword.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:21 am 

why would one think about doing the Roberts deal? Soriano's health. If he were to go down with leg issues again (which I think he will) then you'll need a left fielder and a leadoff hitter wouldn't hurt...DeRosa just goes to left and now you've got a lineup of patient hitters from top to bottom...I do it if you don't give up too much potential...and remember last year, Theriot wore down, so a leadoff hitter is important, but heck, Roberts would make an impact anywhere in the order...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:31 am 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
City of Fools wrote:
why would one think about doing the Roberts deal? Soriano's health. If he were to go down with leg issues again (which I think he will) then you'll need a left fielder and a leadoff hitter wouldn't hurt...DeRosa just goes to left and now you've got a lineup of patient hitters from top to bottom...I do it if you don't give up too much potential...and remember last year, Theriot wore down, so a leadoff hitter is important, but heck, Roberts would make an impact anywhere in the order...

i see what you are saying, but what if soriano doesnt go down, and you trade for roberts (for a hefty price,likely). derosa has been playing well, i dont see a need to trade for roberts to replace him. i definitely wouldnt pay the price to get roberts for insurance against a possible injury. i like roberts, but i dont see the need to give up good players or prospects for him anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:42 am 

man of few opinions wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

if you know McPhail's moves, they mostly come from salary cutting desires, not adding tons of talent...so my guess is after not getting what he wanted, he'll try to get something rather than nothing...

i see what you are saying, but what if soriano doesnt go down, and you trade for roberts (for a hefty price,likely). derosa has been playing well, i dont see a need to trade for roberts to replace him. i definitely wouldnt pay the price to get roberts for insurance against a possible injury. i like roberts, but i dont see the need to give up good players or prospects for him anymore.